Pronunciations

Posted by Dexter

I have a few misconceptions about pronouncing certain band names, songs, etc. I noticed a few others have been having some difficulty with it too, so I hope there are some out there who can clear some of these up for us. Feel free to add any of your own as we go along. Also, I would like to know some of the meanings behind certain names. If anyone knows anything along those lines, please add them.

Amon Amarth. I heard it meant Mount Doom in Elven. I think it is pronounced "Uh-mon Uh-Marth." Can anyone tell me if this is right?

Myrkskog, Ensiferum, Akercocke, and Suidakra are also difficult for me to figure out.

Hrossharsgrani - The sound of an exploding water buffalo. ???

Posted by TheSecondComing

!!! is a hard one to pronounce until someone informs you its 'chik-chik-chik'.

For some reason I put the emphasis wrongly in Black Sabbath when I say it.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: For some reason I put the emphasis wrongly in Black Sabbath when I say it.

So does your dad. Black Sabbath? I... really don't think so.

A friend of mine pronounces Metallica "metal-licker"...

And is Motorhead (can't be screwed with umlauts) pronounced Moat-oar-head?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

you guys don't know what sabbath means?

Posted by Fiindil

my faovurite band (as seen in the musical favourite post): Machinae Supremacy

this is pronounced as Mash een(as in machine) Supremacy, no-one knows the meaning behind it :O

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

maybe it's the supremacy of machines?

Posted by Fiindil

last time i checked there was no reason, may have to ask that in their forum sometime in the near future

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: you guys don't know what sabbath means?

Of course I know what Sabbath means. I just put the emphasis on 'bath' instead of 'sab'. It's hard to describe like this.

Posted by Mixhael

Way back in highschool I was amazed when I was wearing my giant logo "MOS DEF" shirt and some kid was like "I love MOSS DEF!". Moss?... that green fuzzy grass looking stuff? It's not MAHSS, it's MOS, like MOST; as in Most Definitely.

Anyways, so many MCs in Hip Hop are just asking for people to mispronouce their alias. When Ice Cube had that single out with some rapper named Mr. Short Khop, I said "COP" when it was "CHOP". Then you have Wu-Tang Clan members like RZA and GZA who just leave people not in the know so confused. I've heard "AR-ZAH" and "RIZ-AY", when of course it's "RIH-ZAH".