Tekken 5 review

Posted by The_Essence_Vortex

I just finished all I wanted to finish in this game, so now it's review time.

The main storyline in this game revolves around four words: Heihachi Mishima is dead. (That's not a spoiler because it even shows that in the opening cinematic) Strangely enough, the King Of Iron Fist Tournament 5 is opening up, even without Heihachi. The story then branches of depending on which character your playing as.

Speaking of which, the three new characters are actually fun to play as: Raven, Asuka, and Feng Wei (I think...). Each of these characters have move sets which I found extremely easy to pick up, which is surprising for me (seeing as most of the Tekken move sets are kinda hard for me to pick up). Asuka is more balanced, while Raven and Feng Wei concentrate on either speed or power.

For those who have played Virtua Fighter 4, they will recognize arcade mode as a toned down copy of Kumite. For those of you who have never played the Kumite mode in VF4, it is basically a series of fights in which you earn money for costumes and go up ranks. A warning though: don't try to fight people with a high rank immediately, as they can be REALLY hard.

For those of you who want to try something a little different, there is a single player game called Devil Within. In it, you play through five stages by punching and kicking (and the occasional jumping and puzzle solving) your way through. The bad thing is that the fighting is a little awkward and innacurate. The good thing is that, upon completion, you unlock Devil Jin as a playable character in the main game AND you get 1,000,000 gold for the shop.

Story mode is awkward. The matches can range from normal to incredibly hard in two stages. The ending match is annoyingly tough. It's only tough because the guy (not saying the name) freezes you then shoots you with a cannon that takes off half of your life or he will grab you and leech life from you. Put simply, he's a CHEAPSKATE.

When you get down to it, though, VS mode is the meat of the game. Without a VS mode, this would not be so enjoyable. (A funny thing though, my girlfriend is actually better than me. She can kick my butt almost every time. That's commendable)

To wrap this thing up, Tekken 5 is a big step in the Tekken series.
FINAL SCORE: 9/10

EDIT: This probably belongs in the fighting games board. Also, please rate my review. I don't think it was as good as my first one.