Fanboy Rule Poll

Posted by Speedfreak

I should've made it a poll in the first place, oh well. This is just to record approval of my fanboy rule.

The rule, again, is that any post that

- includes obviously wrong information about a game or system (not including speculation, unless the speculation is completely ridiculous ie "PS3 will be an orange". Mods can be the judge of just how ridiculous speculation is)
- is a mindless system bash ie "clever" one liners like "GameCube is a kiddy system" or "Xbox Next will fail because I don't like it"
- or a mixture of both ie "PS3 will fail because it will be a kiddy orange and I don't like oranges very much"

shall be deleted to clear the boards of fanboyism and prevent the ignorance spreading.

Made in an effort to help better deal with incredibly annoying members like HaloPlayingKing

Posted by Dexter

I think mods of particular game forums should be able to choose what they wish to do with such things. I don't think this should become a new rule set in stone for every mod to follow through on, just the mods that actually want this rule in their forum.

Posted by Skitzo Control

The rule itself does make sense, but it's already a mod's duty to clean up the boards and free them of spam, and most posts that say "GameCube is kiddy," "Final Fantasy is the best game ever," or "Xbox sucks it only has one good game," are spam, thus should be deleted.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Skitzo Control: The rule itself does make sense, but it's already a mod's duty to clean up the boards and free them of spam, and most posts that say "GameCube is kiddy," "Final Fantasy is the best game ever," or "Xbox sucks it only has one good game," are spam, thus should be deleted.

The thing is, that kind of activity wasn't any kind of offence. So when someone does it you basically have no grounds whatsoever to do anything about it, like get them banned.

Posted by Dexter

If I notice a certain member making mistakes in my forums, I go out of my way to inform them about it. Every mod works in different ways. It doesn't really matter if there is no rule set against something to show the member. Just explaining it to them should work out. Just remove their material if they don't listen to you.

Posted by Linko_16

It seems to me that they should be entitled to their opinions, no matter how mislead and biased they may seem (unless they refuse to shut up about it, ready to spew the same crap in every thread to which it may apply), but since most moderators operate according to this rule anyway, it's better to have it there as a chargable offense.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Dexter: If I notice a certain member making mistakes in my forums, I go out of my way to inform them about it. Every mod works in different ways. It doesn't really matter if there is no rule set against something to show the member. Just explaining it to them should work out. Just remove their material if they don't listen to you.

That quite often takes pages and pages to do, if you manage it at all.

Posted by Dexter

I PM them. Deleting their material doesn't take long. They'll get the idea.

Posted by Jesse Smith

er isn't there supposed to be a System War board??!!! If there was, the bashing threads could go them.

I'm Wacko Smith and I approve of this message. :D

Posted by Big Boss

You can implement it in the forum you mod (if you still mod one, I dunno), but I think it's too subjective to be a rule. Sometimes people speak out of ignorance instead of a lie, and oftentimes you can't tell which one's the case.

If someone says "PS2 is better because it has the best graphics and is the most powerful," simply replying to him with the correct information will likely clear things up for him, and there would not be a need to ban him or delete his post, even if his statement is so obviously wrong. If that same person continues to say the same stupid things, even after being proven wrong with factual proof, then he'll surely be warned, or eventually banned, which is what happened with HPK. He never broke any rules, but I still banned him after repeated offenses, and it was on the grounds of a "banning for stupidity" rule, which I don't know if is still up.

Bashing system is already not tolerated, as we don't tolerate mindless bashing of any kind, so bashing system falls squarely in that category. And threads like "ps2 is teh betta system, yes it rules" and nothing more is simple spam that can justifiably be deleted, and repeated offenses can call for an equally justifiable banning.

Posted by Speedfreak

See, I asked several Super Mods to ban him and I always got the same answer, "I don't see him technically doing anything wrong". Like any rule, I guess this one doesn't have to be followed by any mod or with whatever amount of diligence, it's more of an "it's there so you can use it" thing more than anything else.
It's just to ensure that Mods and Super Mods won't get yelled at by anyone if they punish someone because of this reason.

Posted by G-Sides

Remember when I had those stickies in the PS2, GC, and Xbox forums about this exact same thing? Couldn't one of us just make those again?