Whats the big deal with PSP

Posted by Toughgamer89

Ever since this handheld come out, everyones been saying how its so great, and how its going take nintendo out...ITS NOT!!!! Don't get me wrong I love the PSP, I own one, but I also own the DS. And really I think the DS, is better. and even if PSP sells more its not going leave nintendo in the ditch. Thats all I want to say, anyones got anything to add? Oh and I know theirs another topic like this all ready. But the "PSP is going kill Nintendo" thread's are everyware, so I thought I settle to score by adding another post. = D

Posted by Shade

Actually, the DS has old over 1 million more units than the PSP.

Shouldn't this go into the PSP board?

Posted by Random

It was also out 6 months before and the PSP sold better for the same amount of time frame it was out. Sales don't mean which game are better anyways Shade. Games make the consoles great.

Posted by Toughgamer89

agreed. sales are just how many people buy the system, not how many people actully enjoy it more.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

The big deal is that it has sony's logo on it. This makes a certain group of people want it, without even caring about what games they'll be playing on it, or if they've ever had an interest in portable gaming before. Idiots, in other words.

Posted by Al Borland

The reason I bought a PSP over a DS is because I knew I wouldn't play it except for a select few games. I would rather play Twisted Metal Online on my PSP than play a Mario 64 port on a DS. If anything people buy the DS because it is Nintendo, and they want to play Zelda and Mario. You played Mario 64 on N64, so why do you need it on DS with a few differences? And now you're saying that somebody would spend $250+ on a system because it's a sony product?

Posted by Pit

Quoting Prince Shondronai: The big deal is that it has sony's logo on it. This makes a certain group of people want it, without even caring about what games they'll be playing on it, or if they've ever had an interest in portable gaming before. Idiots, in other words.

Funny, seeing how I'm the complete opposite of it. At launch, the PSP had way more to offer than what the DS had at launch.

Posted by Bebop

I think it's just becuase it's a handheld console from a company other than Nintendo that is not only good but also has games for it that has given it so much hype.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I'm not saying everyone who owns a psp is an idiot. Just the majority.

I'm not particularly enamored of Super Mario 64 DS, actually. Feel the Magic and WarioWare are the better games on the DS, in my opinion. Mostly I've been concentrating on console titles lately, though. I received a DS for Christmas, and if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have bought one yet, since Metroid, Another Code, and Castlevania aren't out yet. I definitely would have picked one up for Castlevania, though, as I did with the GBA. I do require good games that I want to be on a system that I purchase.

Posted by psp

People keep on thinking that the nintendo ds sucks, but theyre wrong. Its game library sucks rite now. I like the ds and most likely im going to buy one later, but i have a psp and i still think its better(for now). When the ds releases major titles like animal crossing ds, metroid, castlevania, final fantasy, zelda(i dont know if theyre makin one) mario kart, and others. Between late october to christmas this year, the ds is most likely going to be sold out everywhere again. Its usually nintendo fan boys who say psp sucks and ds rules and viceversa for sony fan boys.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Prince Shondronai:
I'm not particularly enamored of Super Mario 64 DS, actually. Feel the Magic and WarioWare are the better games on the DS, in my opinion. Mostly I've been concentrating on console titles lately, though. I received a DS for Christmas, and if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have bought one yet, since Metroid, Another Code, and Castlevania aren't out yet. I definitely would have picked one up for Castlevania, though, as I did with the GBA. I do require good games that I want to be on a system that I purchase.

Something I agree with you here. If I had known that the DS would've had such a bumpy trip for the first couple of months, I wouldn't have got it, personally. Wario Ware and Feel the Magic, good games, but after I beat those titles (which took only a couple of hours), I saw myself bored with the system. These are the only two games out, which I think, have used the touch screen in an innovative manner. Metroid didn't even impress me. The game(s) that I look forward to on that system is Kirby, Castlevaia, Meteos, Another Code, Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart, which are all coming out this year.

Posted by boomstick

I don't own either, nor do I really plan to soon, but what I know and have played of both, the PSP is much better than the DS, IMO.

It just has far better games out now and, IMO, the DS had a very poor launch and continues to suffer from a lack of good games and I see nothing now or in the future that interests me.

On the PSP side I see several games I like and quite a few in the future that are looking good.

Before I purchase either I'm going to wait for the game libraries to fill out more, but, as of now, I think the PSP looks alot better.

Posted by Speedfreak

I say they're about even, they both had pretty crap launch titles, frankly, but sites like Gamespot and IGN went to great lengths to suggest otherwise. The PSP is rather overrated, especially the graphics. From all the hype you'd think it'd have better than Xbox graphics, but it actually looks a fair amount worse than PS2. Considering PS2 games aren't technically astounding anyway, that really doesn't say much. DS, on the other hand, is criminally underrated. The games out so far are a LOT better than Gamespots reviews would suggest, and there's a decent amount coming in the next 2 months or so. Keeping in mind that Nintendo's going to go online with it soon, I think it'll put the DS at a great advantage.

Posted by Random

You take the words out of my mouth Boomstick. I have to strongly agree. The DS had a poor launch and the games to come out for the PSP later on down the road look Awesome!! I'm hyped to get one but I doubt I will for a while. I ship in 2 months so getting one now would be pointless.

Posted by Linko_16

The PSP has wonderful graphics and a refreshingly large screensize for a handheld. It's also about $150 dollars more than I would ever pay. For a small fraction of that price, I could get a home console with far superior games and screw the travel-size. How often is a person actually away from home with enough free time to really get anything done on a portable game?

The same holds true for a DS, but I imagine I'd get one sooner than a PSP because inevitable drops in the price will bring the DS to an acceptable range first. The PSP, on the other hand, is in the same bin as the X-Box: systems I'll only get if I find them a lot cheaper several years from now, probably in a garage sale or on Ebay. And, of course, both handhelds will have to come out with some better titles. The DS has brilliant technology, and I expect some games that have really unique uses for it.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: The PSP has wonderful graphics and a refreshingly large screensize for a handheld. It's also about $150 dollars more than I would ever pay. For a small fraction of that price, I could get a home console with far superior games and screw the travel-size. How often is a person actually away from home with enough free time to really get anything done on a portable game?

Like, I'm away from my home a good 10 - 12 hours a day.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: I say they're about even, they both had pretty crap launch titles, frankly, but sites like Gamespot and IGN went to great lengths to suggest otherwise.

It had a much better launch than that of the DS or even the three current consoles, in reality it only had a handful of good games, but that's saying more than than you're leading to believe.

Quoting Speedfreak: The PSP is rather overrated, especially the graphics. From all the hype you'd think it'd have better than Xbox graphics, but it actually looks a fair amount worse than PS2.

There was never such a claim, it's graphics factor was so widely hyped because no handheld before it had half it's power and since details came out before that of the DS, it's only natural that people would hype it up more.

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting Pit: Like, I'm away from my home a good 10 - 12 hours a day.

Of course, but you're away doing something: working, driving, taking a class, getting a meal, et cetera. What few in-between moments you may have, ten minutes in a line or a doctor's office, aren't enough to really sit down and play a game to the point where it's worth more than $100.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting boomstick: It had a much better launch than that of the DS or even the three current consoles, in reality it only had a handful of good games, but that's saying more than than you're leading to believe.

There was never such a claim, it's graphics factor was so widely hyped because no handheld before it had half it's power and since details came out before that of the DS, it's only natural that people would hype it up more.

Gizmondo actually is a more powerful machine. Regardless, the graphics were grossly overhyped, they're really not that great. Much less than "home console quality" at any rate.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Linko_16: Of course, but you're away doing something: working, driving, taking a class, getting a meal, et cetera. What few in-between moments you may have, ten minutes in a line or a doctor's office, aren't enough to really sit down and play a game to the point where it's worth more than $100.

Not really. I leave and just come back... like I did today. I left, did nothing, but had my PSP, so when bored, pulled it out and played some Rengoku. Man my life is so crazily exciting.

Posted by boomstick

Quoting Speedfreak: Gizmondo actually is a more powerful machine. Regardless, the graphics were grossly overhyped, they're really not that great. Much less than "home console quality" at any rate.

Original point still stands.

Posted by Apathetic

Right now, I'm kinda satisfied with DS games. I got bored with SuperMario, I like Metroid, a lot more when its multiplayer. The only game I've been actually playing most on the DS is Feel The Magic. PSP seems to have some good games but some of them dont catch my interest. IMO I'd be more satisfied with the PSP right now because maybe if I got bored with the games, I could play around with all the other options the PSP has. Since I already have the DS to play with and Im not filthy rich, I really cant get anything.

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

I have both a DS and PSP. I must admitt, my DS seems to be laying on my desk gathering dust. I'm really just waiting for Animal Crossing DS and the full version of Metroid. But yeah, Mercury, Untold Legends,WipeOut, all have been loads of fun. Plus the movies and music etc.