Shin Megami Tensei

Posted by The Judge

I'm not sure if you've heard of this series, but it's by Atlus. Personally, their second most recent game, Nocturne, was one of my favorite RPG's of all time. A new one that they just came out with, Digital Devil Saga, which I just bought, is pretty much the same except with a drastically different story line and characters. Either way, if any of you have played any of these rare and little known games, please discuss.

Posted by William

I've played the originals. Shin Megami Tensei I and II. Both were interesting, but I'm not really into dungeon crawlers. I plan on playing the newer ones though, once I get some money. The new ones are for the PS2, right?

I prefer the related series, Persona, though.

Posted by The Judge

Yeah, both for PS2. Digital Devil Saga 2 is coming out in late fall, and they're making a new game like Disgaea called Stella Deus.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

The only one I've ever seen in stores around here is Digital Devil Saga. I've heard that this series is interesting, so if I ever do find the original, I'll pick it up. I may just end up getting it off of ebay if I can't find it anywhere else, I suppose. Anyways, approximately, how long did it take for you to complete the first?

Posted by The Judge

I've only played Nocturne, which, with the strategy guide (400 pages of invaluable information I might add :)) took me about 90 hours because I'm a perfectionist and I needed a party with all level 99 characters, all monsters, all Magatama, and Metatron, Beelzebub, and Dante. Without it, I can foresee myself having gotten a sh*tty ending and struggling at almost every point in the game, and taking about twice as long to finish, assuming I didn't just give up. Moral of the story: Buy the strategy guide. Most useful book ever.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Actually, now that you mention it, I seem to recall you telling me to buy the strategy guide before, if ever I picked up the game. I don't buy guides, and never will. But ninety hours to nearly complete the game fully is a decent length. I could assume that the actual storyline would be taking around 35 to 40 some odd hours then, couldn't I.

Posted by The Judge

About 60, actually. I spent only about 30 hours leveling up because the game does a pretty good job of making you constantly fight enemies one after another over and over in endless ammounts per save point on its own.

Posted by KuraiKitsune

Well, I suppose it's good they make you level up so much... I swear I would've never made it even past Matador if they didn't. Cause... cripes, he was hard. First Fiend, I had forgotten to buy the first Force Magatama... >.<

The only thing that disturbed me in the game, though, was the FGM (Flamin' Gay Manikin)... That and Incubus. Who needs a stinger in their crotch...?

Getting back to the shopkeeper... That was one scary Manikin. I'm not prejudiced or anything... you just try to buy things from a twitching man who's hitting on you every chance he gets. x.x

Quoted post: "Hey there, hot stuff! I have faaaabulous things to sell!"

...it took me 120 hours to beat the game, no strategy guide, with the only Magatama I missed being the one you get from the Manikin kid's game. That... was... EVIL. x.x

Posted by The Judge

Not with the 400 page strategy guide...wait, yes it was, because 5 puzzles had MISPRINTED INFORMATION! :grrr:

I liked that gay Manikin. He made me laugh every time I spoke to him.

Posted by The Judge

Crap, pressed delete:

Summary:

400 page strategy guide helped with puzzles a lot.

Gay Manikin = cool!

Posted by KuraiKitsune

Cool? Heeho... I prefered that cute little Jack Frost, though his wares sucked. ^.^

If I wasn't broke, I would've bought the guide myself... x.x Where do you find it now, anyway? No one carries it anymore. ><

Posted by The Judge

The guide? Good deal...last one in stock yo.

Posted by KuraiKitsune

Huh? I... I don't get it. -.o''

Well, I can't find it anywhere anymore, and Ebay's bein' a b*tch right now. Actually... my dad's credit card's being a b*tch, rather. >.<

I couldn't buy it if I wanted to, it seems. I suppose it helps to figure out where I could buy it when I can actually get a job, ne? x.x

Posted by The Judge

If you'd like it, you can mail me $10 and I'll mail it to you. However, 3 pages are falling out, and I already removed the poster. One condition though: You must send it back when you are finished with it. Considering I payed $30 to have it permanently, using it for $10 till you're finished seems like a good deal to me.

Posted by KuraiKitsune

Unemployed at the moment... summer school coming up... Well, I'm working on it. ^.^'' Don't hold your breath, though... I've been tied for money for as long as I can remember. x.x

I was just wondering if there was a particular site that still sells it... after all, some places you can reserve for over a year, and get discounts for doing so. ^.^ I'm just keeping my eye out, then actually snagging deals once I get some actual money.

Posted by The Judge

Idea: *reads the back of the strategy guide* [url]www.DoubleJumpBooks.com/Nocturne[/url]
Maybe you can order it from there?

Posted by KuraiKitsune

o.O I can buy it now! -huggles- Had I known about it sooner, I wouldn't have had to spam up this thread... x.x'

Now to get a job and save up for it. -rolls up sleeves-

Posted by The Judge

Yeah, I should go about getting a job too.

SO, now that that topic is done with...anyone play Digital Devil Saga?