Is the DS worth the money?

Posted by wolfmaster

I have the DS and I didn't give a second thought of spending $150 at the time. But later that night the reaction on my mom's face when she found out how much money I had spent made me think. Should I have waited for the price to go down before buying the DS?

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The price will probably go down once the PSP comes out. That's not a garuntee, but it's likely.

I would wait. There arn't many games right now, but there will be in a few months time. So I would just sit tight until some more games hit the market.

Posted by Speedfreak

If you haven't played Mario 64 before, then yes, definately. If you have then i'd wait a month or two, until Polarium, Mario Kart, Metroid Hunters and Rayman come out, then you'll have a decent game selection.

Posted by Shade

Not true Speedy. I hadn't played Mario 64 before I bought the DS version. And I f*cking love it.

I'd still wait, even if you haven't played it before. It doesn't take that long to beat, and you'd still have a month or so to wait for more games. And by that time the price will probably have gone down, and you'd be left thinking, "****, I should have waited".

However, it's still to fun to have. So whatevs.

Posted by Shade

Yeah, next month, about 20 new games are coming out. Most notably for me, Dynasty Warriors DS.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I got one for Christmas, so I'm not complaining, but I'd say it's not quite worth the money just yet. Super Mario 64, to me, isn't as much fun without the analog stick, even with the extra levels, characters, and secrets. I'm anxiously awaiting Another, Metroid, Zelda, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, GundamSEED, and Castlevania, along with a great deal of others I can't remember at the moment, though. It'll definitely be worth $150 before too long.

Posted by Speedfreak

Quoting Shade32: Not true Speedy. I hadn't played Mario 64 before I bought the DS version. And I f*cking love it.

...what isn't true?

Posted by Zarus

Well....right now the DS is not doin to well in my eyes. The games are mediocre, and im sick of the duel screen being put to waste. But i think that when they eliminate the "Lets just use it as a map" function the DS's gameplay value should go straight up.

Posted by Axis

I'd wait. Like Vampiro said the price might go down when the PSP comes out. I think that a bunch of games are expected to launch in March also. So, IMO, I would wait.

Posted by Bebop

I'd say it's worth it. Though it seems to be in a game drought at the mo. However some lovely games are brewing.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: ...what isn't true?

Sorry, misread your post. Don't know how it happened though.....

Posted by Nemesis

I think that the Price is exceptable. Besides, I don't want some 6 year old getting their hands on one, keeping the owners dedicated.

The only time the DS will go down in price, is when nintendo makes a new handheld. They did that with the SP and the advance even though the DS isn't a gameboy.

Basically, when the price goes down , it will be too late

And the PSP cost more than the DS in the first place.

Quoted post: The only time the DS will go down in price, is when nintendo makes a new handheld. They did that with the SP and the advance even though the DS isn't a gameboy.

People have been speculationg for a long time that Nintendo would drop the price of the DS when the PSP comes out so it can have a fighting chance. It's a tactic.

Posted by Shade

Why would Nintendo think that they needed to have a fighting chance against the PSP. It's a handheld war with Nintendo vs. Sony, I think Sony is the one who needs to drop their price.

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Shade32 is right- PSP has little chance on permanently denting the majority nintendo's share of the market with the price its at.

Posted by towelie

DS is definetly worth it, i mean most people who i told the price 2 couldnt believe it was so cheap, however there are no brilliant games out at the moment, so maybe it would be worth it, i depends on how long it take them to drop it, and by how much they drop it

Quoted post: Why would Nintendo think that they needed to have a fighting chance against the PSP. It's a handheld war with Nintendo vs. Sony, I think Sony is the one who needs to drop their price.

I made that post before I heard the news about the PSP's actual price.

Posted by Shade

Ah, you mean the fact that the only option available in the U.S will be the value pack that costs $250. The DS will have no problem.

Posted by Osic

I dont see the price commming down. The GBA SP only just droped to AU$150 from AU$200, the launching price of the DS. The price is already insanly low, especialy for 2 screens etc. I dont see Ninendo making a profit of the DS console sales. So buying it now seems good to buy now (if it was out yet, I already ahve $190 on it, comming out in 18 days yay). Games can always be broght in a month. But I do earn $200AU a week so im used to spending so much in 1 go

Quoted post: I dont see the price commming down. The GBA SP only just droped to AU$150 from AU$200,

But it's only eighty bucks or lower at other places.

Quoted post: I dont see Ninendo making a profit of the DS console sales.

A lot of the profit comes from the games. And the "cartridge" itself is very cheap to make. So they make quite a bit off dough of them.

Posted by Proto Man

Well for all the technology they pack in the DS, I think it is a good price. They could be charging $200 or more for it. As for the games, I think it was very smart for Nintendo to go with SD technology instead of discs. Like Vampiro said, the SD Memory cards are cheap to make, so the games could possibly be cheaper than PSP's but I doubt it.

Posted by Speedfreak

The carts themselves are more expensive to make, but the work that goes into making each game is much less, which is why DS games are half the price of PSP games.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: The carts themselves are more expensive to make, but the work that goes into making each game is much less, which is why DS games are half the price of PSP games.

Question, how are the cards more expensive to make? I guess it would make sense though because a regular 1 gig SD Memory card is a couple hundred $$$

Er, I thought they were only a few dollars to make... even less. *Srugs*

Posted by Speedfreak

Well, they are, UMDs are a couple of cents to make. Carts have always been more expensive to mass produce.

And Protoman, DS game carts aren't normal flash cards and they don't hold a gigabyte.

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Speedfreak: Well, they are, UMDs are a couple of cents to make. Carts have always been more expensive to mass produce.

And Protoman, DS game carts aren't normal flash cards and they don't hold a gigabyte.

Ok here is the specs for the DS media

DS Games utilize a proprietary solid state flash card format resembling those used in other portable electronic devices such as digital cameras; this semiconductor technology is said to be far cheaper than conventional cartridges and can be used within a system without moving parts to jar out of place when dropped. It is currently capable of supporting cards of up to 1 gibibit (128 MiB) in size.

From what Pit told me, DS media is based on SD technology.

Posted by nondetfinaut

Hey-

Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE iPods!

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my iPod, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=14781682

Posted by PerpetualAngst

Make a thread and post your stuff there.

I personally think you cant really judge the DS if its worth its money or not because thre are plenty of new games coming out for it. But if your saying "is worth your money" right NOW it probaly isnt. Wait a few months theres bound to be some good games

Posted by =/g0ri11@\=

I agree with perpetual, there are no good games out for the DS right now (except for feel the magic, that game rocks!) but otherwise metroid is coming out in a few months and so is animal crossing. omg that nondetfinuaht or w/e his name is is just posting the same thing every where ive seen that on like 5 over threads....LOL

Posted by Map42892

it's worth it, especially if you know someone who has it. multiplayer is awesome on it.

Posted by Arczu

If you get a DS now, it may reflect back in a few months against you. That's how I see things goin on right now.

If the price of the DS gets to be about under $130 (by some stroke of luck), then I will go and get one. I wouldn't be quick to jump on the device though, especially when there may be some extra features added on later, I don't know yet. New features usually take a long time to be added (or removed in the GCN's case...)