Worst genres

Posted by Richaod

I was just having a laugh at the fact that some grindcore songs I was getting took literally 5 seconds to get.

So anyway...

Club music - it's music for antimusicians.
Ambient music - because nothing happens.
Nu-metal - I'm sparing everyone else the trouble.

And any music that's played because it has a "shock factor".

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Pop-punk.
Nu-metal.
Metalcore is getting pretty ****ing bad.
This new hardcore **** I keep hearing. Most of it is awful.
Emo.
Screamo.
Goth Rock.
And whatever other obvious genre I could list.

Oh, and those genres that fit just a couple bands, if not one. For example Love Metal and Dark Metal.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

i really dont like country moosic. i cant stand it. it has got to be the worst in my legible books.

Posted by Klarth

Deathcore, grindcore, folkcore (yes, it exists), mallcore, all kinds of nu-metal, gothic rock, country, country metal, hip-hop, rap, emo rock and pop-rock.

[quote=Richaod]Club music - it's music for antimusicians.

hi daft punk!!!~~#

Am I the only one who likes grindcore?

:(

Posted by Klarth

yeah, you suck :(

dude, that hurts :(

Posted by Porcupine

Urban.

Posted by Raptor

Whichever genre Silverchair fits into.

Posted by William

Anything that ends with "core".
Emo
Country
Bluegrass
Death Metal
Black Metal
Rap
Pop (N*Sync, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc.)
Punk Rock

That's all I can think of at the moment...

Posted by mis0

Dunno. I kind of like the experimental/ambient sort of thing. I've done my own experimentation with such music, and for the most part I'd agree; too stagnate. But that doesn't mean things of an ambient nature can't be music. I guess it depends on how things are compiled. If I'm ever happy with anything I've created, I'll share it.

I have some dislike for most urban-bred music, except of course for the Chain****ers Crew song, which I can't but help and smirk at everytime I hear it. I do not like emo at all, pop, mostly because of U2's "How to Disassemble an Atomic Bomb" (naturally you detonate it, duh), also anything with "core" tacked on the end, anything gothic, and country. I like traditional music (including folk, actually), "rock" to use the term lightly, industrial, alternative, and experimental genres. Lowfish is the only eletronic band I can think of that I like.

I still don't really think anyone is really in the position to just throw out genres as being "the worst" or anything because if you don't like them, you probably don't or havn't taken the time to understand the roots of it and/or aren't involved in creating it. I suppose it's all art, and each creator and artist. It's just a matter of "which don't I like" as opposed to "which is inferior."

I'm not trying to start a big fight with the above, that's just the drift I catch. Correct me if I'm wrong. And I'll add that I lnow plent about country's origins and history because I was curious about it, but I still by and wide detest it.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Richaod:
Club music - it's music for antimusicians.

It sounds great in a club.

Quoted post: Ambient music - because nothing happens.

It's perfect chillout music.

Quoted post: Nu-metal - I'm sparing everyone else the trouble.

Deftones could be considered nu metal, but they still rawk your sawks.

Quoted post: And any music that's played because it has a "shock factor".

GG Allin is so cool, he transcends that.

I personally love screamo and emocore, and hardcore is alright live.

Quoted post: Death Metal
Black Metal

Will, you bastard :(

Posted by William

Quoting Vampiro: Will, you bastard :(

me srry bby, it be k tho rite?! :bowser:

No, actually...I can't stand growling/screaming vocals or any vocals which I cannot understand and make out as actual REAL words. I like the music though, if that's any compensation. Just the vocals...ugh...

Posted by Gollum

Quoting William: me srry bby, it be k tho rite?! :bowser:

No, actually...I can't stand growling/screaming vocals or any vocals which I cannot understand and make out as actual REAL words. I like the music though, if that's any compensation. Just the vocals...ugh...

I used to think the same way about that vocal style, but now I like it in some bands. One of my favourite bands of the moment is Desire (depressive doom metal). They have black/death vocals but I can still make out the words, and I've practically memorised the lyrics to An Autumnal Night Passion - Movement 1 because I listen to it so often. So all I'm saying is, if you don't like that vocal style, listen to it a bit more and it'll eventually grow on you.

My love for Desire still hasn't changed my musical preferences, however.

Posted by loony636

Viking metal has to be the weirdest genre I've every heard, but its not necissarily the worst. Wait.....yes it is.

Posted by Corrupt

^ I'll let Garrett take care of this one.

As for my personal opinion, my least favorite genre would have to be modern rap/R & B, especially the stuff that's played on the radio. Also, pop-punk blows.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting loony636: Viking metal has to be the weirdest genre I've every heard, but its not necissarily the worst. Wait.....yes it is.

Viking Metal is a genre that is purely lyrical. The actual style of the music, given that it's metal, can be anything. At that, the music doesn't even have to be just about Vikings, but a more romantic, folk inspired atmosphere about times passed which (since most of these artists are from Europe) might make reference to the Vikings themselves. Personally, I don't even think "Viking Metal" should be a seperate genre.

Posted by G-Sides

The whole numetal/hey-everyone-let's-all-sound-the-same genre that seems to be so popular right now.

Silverchair would fit in to where ever Creed and Nickelback fall (maybe the Suck genre?)

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shin-Ra: Viking Metal is a genre that is purely lyrical. The actual style of the music, given that it's metal, can be anything. At that, the music doesn't even have to be just about Vikings, but a more romantic, folk inspired atmosphere about times passed which (since most of these artists are from Europe) might make reference to the Vikings themselves. Personally, I don't even think "Viking Metal" should be a seperate genre.

When Gar Attacks!

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Vampiro: Am I the only one who likes grindcore?

:(

i like it.

curses to richaod for disliking ambient music.

curses to the second coming for liking gg allin.

Quoting rivercitytecmo:
curses to the second coming for liking gg allin.

He does make me sick occassionally. And his music blows. But at least he actually 'is' shocking.

Posted by Crazy K

Well I dont find Punk Rock to be any way interesting at all. I hate punk rock. I just dont like the way it sounds.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting TheSecondComing: He does make me sick occassionally. And his music blows. But at least he actually 'is' shocking.

oh, cool. i thought maybe you were one of those people.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting G-Sides: Silverchair would fit in to where ever Creed and Nickelback fall (maybe the Suck genre?)

Just how many people have listened to Diorama here? Any former grunge band that can get away with creating an orchestral pop/rock album while keeping at least 75% of their fan base deserve at least some respect. Emotion Sickness, Across The Night and Tuna In The Brine are, amongst other tracks, clearly some of the most well-crafted orchestral rock (okay, well, the last two are pop) songs ever, and Daniel Johns is a fantastic vocalist. I'm not going to argue with anyone who hasn't at least heard, and given thought to, one of those three songs.

By the way, I wouldn't consider the majority of Daft Punk's songs as club music. I absolutely hate songs like Aerodynamite and Alive (which is actually one of their most popular tracks), but I like them for Discovery in particular, the first four tracks being huge highlights.

Have I mentioned that I don't necessarily think all bands from a certain genre are horrible? I liked Deftones for Around The Fur and White Pony, yes.

By the way, my idea of chill-out music is something like In Flames, Rage Against The Machine or Liquid Tension Experiment (and therefore defeats the purpose of it in the first place). I absolutely can't stand music without occurrances or climax.

One last thing. Silverchair from 1994-1997 are grunge, 1997-2002 alternative rock/grunge and 2002 onwards, orchestral pop (if that's even a fitting label)/rock. The Dissociatives, Daniel Johns' side project, would very obviously be classified as pop/electronica.

Posted by Vaporeon

Anything where some idiot is just raving on about drugs, sex, or government programs. I would list rap and heavy metal specifically, but I view them as noise rather than music, so I won't > : )

Posted by Klarth

er, actually, metal is one of the most melodic genres in existence. Iron Maiden are traditional heavy metal, and they are most definitely NOT "nothing but noise".

You're bound to be thinking of acts like slipknot and papa roach. They're nu-metal. They are indeed nothing but noise.

Posted by Porcupine

Quoting Majesty: er, actually, metal is one of the most melodic genres in existence. Iron Maiden are traditional heavy metal, and they are most definitely NOT "nothing but noise".

You're bound to be thinking of acts like slipknot and papa roach. They're nu-metal. They are indeed nothing but noise.

Iron Maiden = NWOBHM. Loudness = Traditional Heavy. Yes they're different.

Posted by Klarth

Iron Maiden's first album came before the whole "new wave" scene. Hence they are in part traditional heavy metal.

Posted by The Judge

Country and Rap. Worst ever. In my opinion that is.

Posted by Raptor

I still prefer country to rap as it usually doesn't make my apartment shake when someone is playing it in their car when they pass by.

Quoted post: Iron Maiden's first album came before the whole "new wave" scene. Hence they are in part traditional heavy metal.

Maybe so. But times change. They are indeed NWOBHM. There's a difinite difference between the two, so calling them Heavy Metal just wouldn't make sense.

Posted by The Judge

I never really thought of Iron Maiden as being all that "Heavy." I know they're considered Heavy Metal, but I always consider that term to be reserved for when the music is so obnoxiously loud that my parents tell me to leave the house for the day when I play it.

Posted by wolfy-Kiba

Hate these music genres because...
emo - because its the new wave of pussy glam rockers
sceamo - because it hurts my ears worse then Death metal in a bad way!
Pop- because you should know its outa control like reality Tv
Rap - Because they Are Retards .Attempting .Poetry
R A P

Posted by Arczu

Rap... was ok, before it got outstreached like it is today. You will be LUCKY to find good rap where people are not swearing all the time, saying "WHAT!?" every 3 seconds or other general traits.

Before, I would have said country, but I cannot. I've heared a few songs in this genre (which I used to hate a lot) that actually got my atention. Heck, I don't know the names, but the exist nonetheless. So, I will have to stick with... "Nu School". This genre (not widely known) seemed like a rip from the Old Skhool.

Posted by Richaod

Thanks so much for bumping. :(

Posted by auzzman5151

1. cock rock (acdc, aerosmith, etc.)
2. hair metal (motley crue, europe, etc.)
3. emo (all of it)

Quoted post: 1. cock rock (acdc, aerosmith, etc.)
2. hair metal (motley crue, europe, etc.)

Thank *** those aren't real genres.

Posted by Axis

Quoting The Judge: I never really thought of Iron Maiden as being all that "Heavy." I know they're considered Heavy Metal, but I always consider that term to be reserved for when the music is so obnoxiously loud that my parents tell me to leave the house for the day when I play it.

Ha, my mom cant stand Bruce Dickinson's voice. The only songs she will listen to are the first two albums when d'Ianno was the singer.

Anyways, I dont dislike rap and country.

Quoted post: Ha, my mom cant stand Bruce Dickinson's voice.

My mom loves his voice, and thier music.

Posted by auzzman5151

Quoted post: Thank *** those aren't real genres.

unfortunatly hair metal is a genre. cock rock is music that you only listen to when you are in the mood.

Quoting Vampiro: Thank *** those aren't real genres.

Hair metal isn't a genre? What say?

Quoted post: Hair metal isn't a genre? What say?

I never really saw it as a genre... I figured it was just a "nickname" I guess. Like, I've heard it describe various bands, but I never really thought it was real. If it is, that's possibly the worst genre name out there.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

I know I'm gonna get screamed at for this, but I personally despise Hip Hop and R&B. I just do.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Fei-on Castor: R&B

It's pop music for black people and you know it!

Posted by Acheron

Anything that contains the words "metal" or "core". Like Metalcore.

Mathcore is the worst though. Followed by prog-metal.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I refuse to listen to rap and pop. I also dislike country, hip hop, punk, emo, and anything with harsh vocals. I listen only to a select few genres.

Quoting Acheron:
Mathcore is the worst though. Followed by prog-metal.

Mathcore as in math combined with hardcore? Or as in 'math rock' because you get confused with small fringe genres?

Quoted post: Mathcore as in math combined with hardcore? Or as in 'math rock' because you get confused with small fringe genres?

To my knowledge, mathcore is the fusion of various musical styles, mainly:

Jazz/Hardcore/Fusion/Metal (To a point)

The music has tonality, although may be atonal in parts. Screamed/shouted/bizarre vocals, very complex drumming and fragmented song structures with no definite form.

Check out Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity for a good example.

Quoting Vampiro: To my knowledge, mathcore is the fusion of various musical styles, mainly:

Jazz/Hardcore/Fusion/Metal (To a point)

The music has tonality, although may be atonal in parts. Screamed/shouted/bizarre vocals, very complex drumming and fragmented song structures with no definite form.

Check out Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity for a good example.

I know what math is. I wasn't aware someone had managed to combine it with metal, however.

zjet

Posted by Acheron

Yeah, Dillinger Escape Plan is a prime example of why I hate mathcore. Thanks for explaining it all eloquently, Vampiro.