Help with Hacker

Posted by William

Okay, so I join this site and become a moderator there, eventually, I get some kind of virus that shows a huge eye on your computer screen and freezes it up, so we had to have our computer fixed.

During this time, I was banned from not only that site that I was moderator of, but also another site due to what happened at the site I was originally banned from.

Now, the situation is...

I was apparently banned because someone using MY IP address hacked the forum, and also hacked people's IM conversations, altered them to make them seem worse than they were, and sent them to other people that the person knew, to stir things up.

I DID NOT do it, and I know I didn't...because I didn't have internet at the time.

Everyone I have talked to so far, has told me that the only way someone using my IP address could've done that was if it WAS me...but I swear that it wasn't...

My question is...IS it possible for someone to do what they did, if it WASN'T me? And if so, HOW?!

I need some kind of explanation, because I'd like to be unbanned from the sites...

Posted by Magnum

You could try connecting via an HTTP proxy server through your web browser, that should get you into the site.

As for someone stealing your IP, I know people can access "your" internet if you have a wireless network that isn't very secure. I don't know if you're on one or not, but if so, you need to restrict internet acccess and protect it with a password that you and your family know.

The "hacker" could have found an exploit in your machine and carried out his attacks through there if possible, but I'm not sure on how good of an idea that could be. I've never really heard of people being able to steal an IP address, as those pretty much serve as identification.

Someone with your ISP could have done it and possibly got the IP address blocked if the site used a broad string of numbers, that is what I think is most likely.

Posted by bobby

pools are fun to crap olikop[ujl

Posted by speedemon35

I ignore which site you became a mod at, and how cleaver you need to be to get a virus on your pc but....To go around the net using your Ip that person simply needs to to be talking to you on any chat program and use it as your his/hers own proxy. Nothing to it. That "hacker" could have been hiding under various proxys like he did with you and stir up anything he felt like. Aparently the people to who you talked to don't qualify as genius do they?

Posted by happyzoo

If you would ever want to go back (don't know why), try changing your IP address.

[URL=http://www2.slac.stanford.edu/comp/winnt/faq/networking/tcpip_w2k.htm]Click here[/URL]

^First thing that came up on Google.

Posted by Trigger

Disregard Happyzoo's advice; that isn't going to help you and you cannot change your Internet IP address, it is something that is assigned to you by your ISP. It is possible for people to mask their own IP with the information of another, and many hackers tend to find an exploit, work their way into your system and begin using it remotely for their own purposes. (You may have heard one example of remote computer usage when millions of computers seemingly attack a website. This is known as a DoS attack.)

I wish I had more advice for you than to say, e-mail or write to the administrators and inform them that someone had been using your computer, but obviously not in a direct manner. If they think people can only gain access to ones machine by using it directly, they have rocks in their head for brains.

Posted by higbvuyb

I use ADSL. I simply go to the ADSL modem control panel and disconnet, then reconnet. New IP.

Posted by Klarth

Not everyone shares your ISP.

I say proxy for now, but I don't think VGC is the wisest place to ask this, though. Techsupportforum.com might help somewhat.

Posted by Arczu

That is freaking messed up though. It reminds me of the time we got the stupid virus that put a giant spiral in the middle of the screen (you know, those ones you would use to hypnotize people), and all we could do is TRY to work around it, But the thing was so freaking flawed that it succumbed to our computer's crappyness back then. That's how we found out the name of the program, because it froze on start up once, so I was able to End Task. Then cripple it so it wouldn't start up again.

Good luck trying to get back though. I really don't know if it's possible to get unbanned from those places from faults not a cause of yours.

Posted by Wicked Sushi

Here's a few tips:

1) Call up your internet service provider and ask for a different IP. I did this thrice now. I just call them up and say "dude, I want an other IP" and they give me one.

2) Maybe you don't have a hacker attacking your pc at all and just someone miraciously found out your oh-so-clever password: "password", "lol" or whatever you use. Think about it. You didn't had access to the internet so how would they be able to use your computer and alter stuff, especially since you restarted after that stupid eye virus.

Hope I helped.

Posted by happyzoo

Quoting Trigger: Disregard Happyzoo's advice; that isn't going to help you and you cannot change your Internet IP address, it is something that is assigned to you by your ISP.

Did you even try it? It works if you are banned from a website... Just sign up on a different account name, and viola, your back. You misunderstood me also, I meant that this works if you are wanting to get back on a website.

Posted by Hyper

Quoting happyzoo: Did you even try it? It works if you are banned from a website... Just sign up on a different account name, and viola, your back. You misunderstood me also, I meant that this works if you are wanting to get back on a website.

He isn't asking how to get back to the site, he's asking how someone could have used his IP and got him banned from the site in the first place.

Posted by happyzoo

Man, you can't post anywhere in these forums without getting your head bitten off :(
I was just trying to help the guy out, sorry.

Posted by NegativeTrend

Only works if your ISP allows you to have more than one static IP.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Happyzoo]Did you even try it?
Dear, I don't have to try it, I've studied this subject intensely for several years now. You were advising William on how to change his Network IP, something of which only relates to his Local Area Network, not the Internet itself. Your "advice" would not have worked and you're obviously talking unjustified crap to attempt to keep your own advice standing.

[quote]I was just trying to help the guy out, sorry.
Then in the future, I suggest you stop trying to "help out" unless you have an idea on what you are doing, because in his instance, you clearly had no idea at all. Receiving no advice from you is better than any advice from you.

Posted by happyzoo

Jeeze, settle down. You are probably some old hairy 57 year old, who never had a life. Just chill out! (Or go outside and play, either one would be fine for me).

Posted by Hyper

Quoting happyzoo: Jeeze, settle down. You are probably some old hairy 57 year old, who never had a life. Just chill out! (Or go outside and play, either one would be fine for me).

She's a smart 18 year old woman from Australia. I can't comment on the hairy part as I have no idea whether or not she is, but that's beside the point.

Posted by Trigger

[quote=Hyper]...the hairy part...
Smooth as a baby's ass, mate. :-*

Posted by Hyper

Quoting Trigger: Smooth as a baby's ass, mate. :-*

Can I feel? ;-* (sorry to go so off topic, Will)

Posted by Trigger

You'll make me go to jail, though. (Yeah sorry, Will, we promise to get back on topic when you require more help!)

Posted by Hyper

Nuh-uh! There are no laws in Amsterdam! We can move to Germany. How's that sound? :-*

...Or better yet, international waters!

Posted by Trigger

Germany's good, I can go see Rammstein and stuff.

Posted by Sneak

Germany is a great country. I moved there not too long ago. I did live in Chicago, Illinois.

Anyway. Lets get back on topic.