Assassin's Creed II

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

cant believe there isnt a thread for this

game owns, much improved over AC1. a lot more linear, but to its advantage, since the game actually follows an interesting story and gives you assassinations varying between
the typical 'lurk + stab' to storming a castellan's fortress with an army of mercenaries

**** that has been improved/introduced:
- crowd mechanics work great now. rather than just havin the monks to blend in with, you can now hide inside any group of three or more people with visibility based on crowd density, plus you can hire hookers to mask your presence and flirt w/ guards
- they got rid of the 'PRAY TO BECOME INVISIBLE' ****
- when on alert, guards will randomly poke their swords into haybales and rooftop boxes
- you can hide in carts of hay and pull guards into them
- combat is still heavily focused on just waiting for counters but you can do awesome **** now like throw dust in enemies' eyes and take their weapons off of them
- each assassination has its own unique tree of events that get you closer to the target. sometimes you have to take out lieutenants throughout the city to lower his defenses, or work with the local brothels to get courtesans in as moles
- notoriety is no longer based on how deep you're into the story, killing guards/stealing raises your notoriety and people will recognize you, but you can lower it again by removing wanted posters and bribing heralds.
- hidden blades up each sleeve means you can silently take down two guards simultaneously
- longswords, hammers, and battleaxes are all usable
- smoke bombs make for awesome shiek-style escapes and throwing coins into a busy street to slow down your pursuers is so badass
- sending a soldier berserk with the poison blade is freakin sweet
- ASSASSIN PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT

stuff that isnt so hot:
- the AI. holy ****. you can still pull tricks like assassinating one guard in a patrol and having the rest walk on. they still follow you up onto precarious rooftops and fail jumps. actually this isnt that lame its p. funny
- a lot of the combat animations for the standard sword and dagger are the exact same as AC1. the hidden blades, however, has some seriously epic **** now, like knifing a dude in the balls while stabbing his face.
- tutorial section of the game is like 2 hours long. takes forever to get your assassin gear and all the standard weaponry like throwing knives, dagger, etc.
- the game has a worrying fixation on sex. i get that the renaissance had a great deal of sexual liberation and **** but the game has you ****ing *****es, working with prostitutes and opening brothels every 5 minutes. also every female protagonist so far in the game has been raped. ****in noice ubisoft.

overall its real ****ing solid and if the main reason you disliked AC1 was due to its repetitiveness then i recommend giving this another try

Posted by G-Sides

i agree whole heartedly w/ everything. some more awesome things:

-the cities don't all look exactly alike (unlike AC1).
-the "assassin's tomb" missions are fcking SWEET. legit puzzles that take *gasp* actual thought and a bit of skill to pass.
-the animus/real world relationship is very nice. you stay as Ezio without getting pulled out of the animus for MUCH longer than you did in AC1, and the time spent outside the animus isn't tiring or boring; it's interesting and gets to be pretty cool.
-you can SWIM NOW YEAH!
-wrist pistol is a sweeeet weapon.
-the addition of a monetary system is incorporated very well.
-there's still much to do once the game is over.

:cool:

Posted by coromoro

I guess since I never played the first one I should get this one, huh? :o

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yes

also altair's armor looks like ***

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I just picked this up and will be playing later. It looks pretty good!