Just a thought for when the forums are reorganized...

Posted by maian

How about some kind of subforum or something for Youtube video sharing? ;o Occasionally I see a video that I think would be fun to share for vgc, but then I instantly feel too lazy to make a thread about it since there's not really any proper place for them. I notice there's often a ton of "check out this video" threads in off-topic/community, so I'm just throwing this out there. While it's still on my mind. :o

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

just a thought for when the forums are reorganized...

ban maian

Posted by maian

:garfield:

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting maian: How about some kind of subforum or something for Youtube video sharing?

Been suggested before, but like all suggestions, it got shot down by an ant!!! :D:D:D:D

Posted by fnool

The forums will see a bit of a shuffle during the next few weeks. I'm going to implement some significant changes—like a decent tagging system—somewhere down the road. I'm not ready to talk about most of my planned changes because, frankly, they're nowhere near final, but I can mention a few alterations I'm planning on making in the near future:

- Polls and off-topic will be merged
- Most gaming-related subforums will be merged
- Instant Messages board will be removed
- Community board will be used exclusively for discussions of other members, birthday threads, community events, etc
- Board Help and Introductions will be moved back to the top

I'm not ready to rule out a youtube video forum altogether, but being that consolidation and efficiency are two of my main objectives in fixing this place up and making things more accessible, I'm thinking that things like Youtube vids and member photos would be better confined to their own individual megathreads.

Posted by Stalolin

Does the debate board still need to be named the War Board? I realize it's a nice bit of nostalgia but it certainly doesn't describe the forum well enough.

Second option would be to keep the name but put the board descriptions back. I'm guessing you're going to put those up anyways, as they help keep out confusion as the purpose of each board.

Posted by fnool

Board names will stay the same for now, but I have some substantial changes planned for the first quarter of 2010. In the meantime, kick back and enjoy the site as it's been for ages—just with an active administrator, minimal clutter and a newfound dearth of terrible posting.

edit: and yes, I'm bringing board descriptions to the index.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Or stuff like this could be a sub-forum of a sub-forum. Then it wouldn't be seen on da index page. For example, if a You Tube forum was made,

Other Stuff --> Movies and TV --> YouTube Videos

would be da perfect spot for it! No YouTube forum would show up on da index page!!! :eek: And then da YouTube vBulletin code could REALLY be used!!

Heck, for those that want da system forums, since this is a video game forum, there could be...

Video Games --> Nintendo --> Virtual Boy

hince no Virtual Boy forum on da index page!! :D

Oh, yah, I'm a YouTube [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/KingofdaWackos]freak[/url], with four channels!! Started my newest channel today!

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting Jesse Smith:
Oh, yah, I'm a YouTube [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/KingofdaWackos"]freak[/URL], with four channels!! Started my newest channel today!

On a related note, have you ever given an explanation for your obsession with everything Rush Limbaugh? I mean, you hardly seem interested in political discussions on this forum...

Posted by Jesse Smith

On youtube you can drive thousands of liberals insane!!!! That's a great incentive to post videos from his show!!! :D:D:D:D Case in point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bsb2l-C7MM :D:D:D:D:D

Posted by Ant

Good to see you're just as much of a Wacko elsewhere as you are here.

Posted by Screenname

1) Delete everything in systems except:
[LIST]
[*]Nintendo Wii
[*]PlayStation 3
[*]Xbox 360
[*]Other systems/General Game Discussion (for everything else)
[/LIST]

2) Delete the Super Smash Bros Board

3) Merge Posting Games with Wacko University
4) Merge Art and graphics with the Fan fiction
5) Delete IM Board
6) Delete All chat rooms

Posted by fnool

1) I already have
2) Plans for most of these,
3) So while input is valued,
4) I'd prefer it if
5) You just sat back
6) And didn't try to act backseat-administrator with quite so much vim.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

7) ban screenname

Posted by Screenname

Just givin my input as Bluntmaster likes to do.

Posted by S

Something I've been wondering about since the idea of the board changing hands is whether or not the Sim Board will remain in tact. Obviously, its a very important part of this board to me (And not too many others, I realize.). And since you've been kind of tight lipped about the changes, I figured I'd ask.

Posted by Stalolin

If the Sim Board were to stay it would probably need to be changed a bit to either be more friendly or more involving. It has no activity right now, so you'd have to get some of the regulars back (Not terribly hard, but they all seem to come and go as they please).

Edit: when I say friendly I mean more friendly towards those of lesser writing ability

Posted by S

I don't mind actively endorsing it, but the activity has been the way it has since even my own joining, despite my efforts. It may have to do with our secular user base, or not. I have no idea why the activity is the way that it is. And ultimately, there's no way to bring any of the current users back for any consistent amount of time besides possibly a month, except maybe more users.

What I mean to say is that, depending on the way the site is run, it may revive itself of its own accord, or it may not. I'll mod it no matter what, because for me and many people, its a grounding point we can all come back to and meet. But I will definitely improve on it alongside the forum itself, I'm always open to ideas for it (In general, for those that are interested and those that aren't. (Except from flunkies like the old Kingdom Hearts crew.)).

I have plans for it, always have, but with an admin like Jesse... well, you know the rest. I had to fight tooth and nail against Jesse just to get a mod on the board.

Posted by Omni

I disagree with there being a YouTube forum. I think that there should just be a sticky in one of the social sections where people can post YouTube videos and chat about them. It isn't worthy of its own section.

I hate to say this, but I'd honestly like Sim Battle to get deleted. No offense. I just happen to find it pointless. I wouldn't like it even if it was active, but I wouldn't think it deserved deletion if it was.

I'm also fully aware that I don't have a say in this and I'm not trying to influence the opinions of other people.

Posted by Stalolin

Quoting Omni: I'm also fully aware that I don't have a say in this and I'm not trying to influence the opinions of other people.

Currently, opinions are all this thread is for. Klarth seems open to suggestions, so long as they have some backing. These things are probably up for a little debate, so long it doesn't span 10 pages. At that point, no one wants to pick through it to find the decent suggestions.

Posted by ExoXile

Start from scratch.

Posted by fnool

I know it's hardly going to be a popular decision among the people who actually care about it, but I do intend on removing the sim battle forum.

One of the my main objectives for the new VGC is to make it more accessible, newbie-friendly and as unambiguous as possible. I aim to turn this place into a laid-back general discussion site with an emphasis on videogames—having a roleplaying forum stuck in the middle of that would be jarring. I accept the fact that it's a sort of community in its own regard, but that it hasn't had a post in over a month (and that there are threads on its first page that haven't been posted in since 2008) is hardly a testament to its worth. There'll be no place for it after the renovations I'm planning. Not sure how many people here remember the Pok

Posted by ExoXile

Complete reset of threads would be sweet.

Posted by Omni

Exo actually suggested a good idea, and one that I've previously suggested.

Posted by fnool

It'll happen. Not immediately, though.

Posted by S

Only suggestion I have, fnool, would be to make it a sub forum, locked(Metaphorically.) away in the literary section, if its not conducive to your current MO. But that's the last idea I have if that's your prerogative (Not in a stand-offish way, just saying that there isn't much wiggle room.).

I had planned on garnering more of a following, especially considering the fact that you're trying to get a larger user base, but it would've had to have been after my current effort to write a decent chunk of my novel for publications to view. They both come from the same pool of imagination, and makes it hard to do both actively. The sim board, 9/10 times, will become more active when I start simming again, but I also have my limits, so that's why there hasn't been a post in a month, because I've been on a hiatus myself.

But if that's the way it is, I respect it for what it is.

Posted by Screenname

I don't like simming but you could just delete it from the boards main page, have to links to it but have it still be accessible if you type in the url if you just want to make VGC more accessible.

Posted by Jesse Smith

Quoting fnool: - Wacko University will be deleted. I am, however, currently thinking of something vaguely similar to replace it.

Insanity University??!! :D:D

Quoting ExoXile: Complete reset of threads would be sweet.

Do you mean deleting every thread??? Nice way to get rid of the search engine visitors...make all the indexed links dead links!! :rolleyes:

Look at the sticky [url=http://www.vgchat.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163]here[/url] to see what search engines can do!

Posted by Kamek

I'd like to take credit for the orginal thread that brought all of them here. That thread was a spin off of my old one which spanned thousands of posts.

*bows*

I'm really excited for the changes, and let's hope we have some way to get new members to come.