Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I've seen this game in the stores, and for a relatively good price. Now, is it worth it? It looks interesting enough. But seeings as I don't play many titles in this genre, I figured I'd ask first.

Posted by Last Fog

I really didn't like it much.

A lot of people brag about how revolutionary this game is, and how complex the system of magic spells is, and so on. I can't say I enjoyed it at all. But that's just me, the majority of what I've heard about this game is positive.

You probably have heard this, but there's this thing called a sanity meter, and when it gets too low, you start hallucinating and seeing really strange "sanity effects". They're designed to affect the player as well as the character. I wasn't impressed much at all, and pretty much saw every one coming. For instance, mute may appear on your screen, or an error message saying your memory card has malfunctioned.

Then there's the magic system. Pretty basic, there's red, blue, and green magic. One repels another, and you have to figure out how to come up with your own little solutions by experimenting to get past obstacles. The battle system is very simple, with sort of an awkward feel to it. None of the enemies are much of a threat.

I just thought the story was pretty corny, the sanity effects were lame, and the controls as well as camera have some issues. Everything about this game sounds wonderful on paper, but it just wasn't executed well.

Yeah, it does sound very interesting. I think I'll still give it a try though. Thanks for the info.

Posted by Beheaded

It is 100% worth it. The story in the game is amazing. The things that happen are wiked cool, if you didn't know they were happening. I guess you do know. It is one of the most overlooked tittles ever made. The game got great reviews everywhere. The one problem is the combat is a little stiff and slow but the game is great. It's a very smart game.

Posted by sodipop

I thought this game looked very interesting when i saw it and it is. Its pretty creepy when you go insane and scary I thought that was pretty cool but for the most part its not worth paying $50 or anything I bought mine off ebay and was thinkin of selling it again

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I bought mine for 20 bucks a long time ago, I've seen if for much less now. Is it worth it o_o Beat it 2 times through. I think it is. The game regardless, is like any other basic game, except it sometimes absorbs you. The lower your sanity, the better the game. Depending of course, some sanity effects are mandatory and will happen even if the sanity meter is full. Others though are downright wrong an dhave made me jump. Hearing sounds from different directions, flying objects for no reason, and the most common one, of blood dripping on the walls.

The game is awesome up until the end, they start making you go in circles like mad. The game is creepy, and worth a try if you feel like it. I can't believe you didn't ask me :(

And btw, nothing is worst than seeing on your screen, that the memory card is being deleted. I literally turned of my cube thinking it really was being deleted. I later read that that was one of the sanity effects.

Posted by sodipop

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.1: I bought mine for 20 bucks a long time ago, I've seen if for much less now. Is it worth it o_o Beat it 2 times through. I think it is. The game regardless, is like any other basic game, except it sometimes absorbs you. The lower your sanity, the better the game. Depending of course, some sanity effects are mandatory and will happen even if the sanity meter is full. Others though are downright wrong an dhave made me jump. Hearing sounds from different directions, flying objects for no reason, and the most common one, of blood dripping on the walls.

The game is awesome up until the end, they start making you go in circles like mad. The game is creepy, and worth a try if you feel like it. I can't believe you didn't ask me :(

And btw, nothing is worst than seeing on your screen, that the memory card is being deleted. I literally turned of my cube thinking it really was being deleted. I later read that that was one of the sanity effects.

lol haha thats hilarious i havent gotten that one yet but i actually did jump when i went into the next room and it had a close up of my face only i turned into a zombie lol

Heheh, it sounds pretty decent. And I would have asked you Bulby, except I didn't know you had ever played it. I figured all you played was SSBM. :mad:

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

Quoting Angelwing: Heheh, it sounds pretty decent. And I would have asked you Bulby, except I didn't know you had ever played it. I figured all you played was SSBM. :mad:

You really hurt me sometimes :(

Fact is I beat some games so fast for me to even remember that I beat it sometimes. Smash is a routine for me :(. I've actually beaten a nice amount of games on all 3 consoles :(. Don't assume things that make me cry at my corner at night :'(

I liked that sanity effect right, I thought it was part of the game. I walked in a room, and I was walking on the ceiling. Then I tried to leave knowing it was a sanity effect, but I couldn't reach the door, because it was too high up. I was getting angry and frustrated for a while. Then the usual "This can't be happening" voice appears and there I am, right outside the door. Funny thing though is that I walk in, my head falls off. An icon appears to pick up the head, and I'm like o_o? I put my head back on and "This can't be happening" and right outside the room I was again. I was extremely low on sanity then xD.

Posted by Soul_Tassadar

I thought eternal darkness to be one of the best games on the cube...

Posted by Angerion the Brave

It's awesome, I beat it 100%. Cha'turga, Ulyoth and Xel'atoth.

It's cool, freaky and creepy, VERY creepy.

Posted by Bebop

It's a different type of game. It's not exaclty survival horror because it's not scary. I'd say it's a very enjoyable puzzle and adventure game. It also has some of the ebst voice acting around.

Posted by boomstick

The great thing about Eternal Darkness is it screws around with your head, some of those Sanity Effects really make you jump and say hey, like the Memory Card being erased or your character exploding when using a spell.