Wisdom Teeth

Posted by NES Queen

How many of you kiddies have had yours removed? I had all 4 of mine yanked on Thursday and my bottom left is still being a nasty little b|tch - won't heal and still hurts like fuk. Went back to the oral surgeon today and he told me it's because I'm so old :(

So I'm just wondering for those of you who've had them out, how long till you were able to suck and swallow again? (I swear I did not initially intend for that to sound as naughty as it does) And aside from mashed potatoes and smoothies, what other mushy food can I eat? If I see another bowl of mashed potatoes I'm going to throw them at someone.

Posted by fnool

All of mine came through when I was thirteen, except for one troublesome one that only surfaced a couple of years ago. Aside from about a month of constant bloody gums on one side of my mouth while that final one was emerging, though, they haven't given me the least bit of trouble.

Yet.

Oh boy I can't wait for the future!

Posted by Omni

I'm going to get them removed soon because I can already see them becoming trouble in the next year or so.

Posted by G-Sides

i was born without them. :cool: instead, i got diabetes.

Posted by NES Queen

All 4 of mine came up fine, albeit on an angle instead of straight forward. The top ones cracked though and had cavities, so they yanked the bottoms while they were in there anyway so I wouldn't have to go through this twice.

But now I'm regretting it. Vicodin sucks and doesn't do anything, and I haven't been able to drink any booze for a week. Choosing between cherry, blueberry, and mango for breakfast lunch and dinner 6 days straight just sucks.

Posted by GameMiestro

Quoting G-Sides: i was born without them. :cool: instead, i got diabetes.

You're serious?

I'll take my wisdom teeth, thank you kindly. They haven't begun to bother me yet.

Posted by junior senior

I refuse to get them out. I have sensitive gums as it is and I can only imagine how bad they'll bleed with that
lol blood

Posted by Ant

A couple months ago I had some of the worst tooth pain in my entire life one night because of one of my wisdom teeth. I found that mouthwash helped the pain quite a bit, but it was sore for at least a week afterwards. I just now signed up for my works cheap dental plan so I'll probably be going to a dentist in the coming weeks to see how much it would cost to get these ****ers ripped out. They're impacted so I know they're messing up the rest of my teeth while they try to come in, and having worn braces for two years of my life I don't want all the work and money that went into straightening my teeth to go to waste either. woe is me!

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Whenever Ocarina of Time came out, that's when my wisdom teeth did, too. Because I spent four straight days playing that game and sleeping, because the pain meds knocked me the f*ck out. I ate mashed potatoes, applesauce, soup, creamed corn, and the like. I think it took a little over a week or so. I LOVE applesauce so it wasn't too bad (for me).

Posted by maian

Great. I'm getting mine yanked on friday, incidentally. I don't even NEED them out, but I'm going on a mission for my church and that's a requirement. So...wish me luck. =/ I kind of wish it was at a less inconvenient time, that's for sure. My best friend who lives out of state is visiting this month and this is potentially the last time I'll be able to see her for two years or more. I'd love it for my mouth not to be a bitch during that time.

Posted by NES Queen

Yeah, insurance is a ***send. $325 per tooth, plus another $600 for anesthesia ($150 per every 15 minutes).

The first hour I was home my lips were still numb, so I was drooling blood and yogurt all over my chin like an old man. After that I didn't bleed at all though, might just be because of my ridiculously high platelet count.

Maian, why are they forcing you to get them out if there's no problem with them? Unless they're impacted, coming up crooked, or filled with cavities and cracked (like 2 of mine were) there's no need to have them removed.

Posted by ExoXile

I seem to have luck with me when it comes to my wisdom teeth.
Coming up straight and nice.

Top ones have emerged 100%, lol, just noticed that.
Bottoms ones are at some 70~80%, still got a bit to go.

Hurts like hell when they decide to move. :(

Posted by maian

Quoting NES Queen: Yeah, insurance is a ***send. $325 per tooth, plus another $600 for anesthesia ($150 per every 15 minutes).

The first hour I was home my lips were still numb, so I was drooling blood and yogurt all over my chin like an old man. After that I didn't bleed at all though, might just be because of my ridiculously high platelet count.

Maian, why are they forcing you to get them out if there's no problem with them? Unless they're impacted, coming up crooked, or filled with cavities and cracked (like 2 of mine were) there's no need to have them removed.

It's just a medical requirement. While a lot of the precautions taken aren't exactly necessary most of the time, they're still required nonetheless, mostly for the event where you get sent foreign. For example, I have four impacted wisdom teeth. While they're not giving me problems now, I'd hate to get sent to some obscure island, and by some freakish occurence, for my teeth to start being bitches. In any case, mine were all impacted and I think my dentist believed they were starting to crowd my lower teeth.

Anyway...I just got the little bastards pulled two hours ago. Uuuugh. I don't really feel any pain yet, but I'd sure love for my entire mouth to stop being numb. I'm told I shouldn't take medication until I eat something first, but my tongue is numb so I can't even taste anything. I tried drinking some orange juice, which wasn't too pleasant. I got absolutely no taste out of it at all, and instead felt it burn painfully where my teeth were removed.

Good thing I just bought Dragon Age :o

Posted by NES Queen

Go buy smoothies. I lived on them for the first 5 days. Fruits and veggies and protein all in a cold tasty drink. Easy to get down even with all the swelling and numbness. They're surprisingly filling too, and easier than trying to make your own.

Even if your not feeling any pain yet, take some pain meds and your antibiotic tonight. As soon as the numbness goes away it will be replaced by lots of hurt. Premedicate now so its mitigated as much as possible. As soon as you're able to feel your tongue and lips again start doing your salt water squishes too. I waited a few days before starting and ended up with dry socket and inflammation at the bottom of one of the wounds.

On a happier note, I'm having my first real meal and ice cold beer in over a week. Wahooo!

Posted by maian

I've heard dry sockets are one of the most terrible, painful things one can experience. ;| I'm going to do everything I can to avoid one. You say I should start doing the squishes after I'm totally denumbed? It's been an entire day and one side of my face is still completely numb. I think I'd rather have the pain than this, because this is just downright obnoxious. But we'll see. Thanks for the tips. :o

Posted by NES Queen

Definitely start your squishies as soon as you can do so without spilling half of it down your face. It helps with the inflammation and prevents infection, speeds up the wound healing. If you end up with dry socket they have to put this horrible stuff in the hole to help it heal. It smells almost like pumpkin pie, but just nastier. It's like this gritty paste that they spread on a thin strip of bandage and shove it into the hole. Yeah, not a pleasant experience. Especially when you have to keep it in for 2 days until it falls out on its own and you find it mixed in with your mashed potatoes. Yeah... dry socket is epic fail.

Good luck with your healing. As tonight was my first night without any meds I celebrated with some nice cold Guinness down at the pub. Oh beer how I've missed three, my old friend, I promise to never stray this far again.

Posted by Richaod

Like my cousin, who's also my dentist, I only have the bottom two... which haven't given me any trouble at all, apart from the fact that they've come in HORIZONTALLY WTF.

So, I do need to get around to having them taken out, but there's no rush, really...

Posted by maian

My face finally denumbed, and I found there's been hardly any pain at all. Mind you, this could change in the morning, but I'm glad that (so far) it's not as horrible as everyone has made it out to be. Granted, I haven't tried to talk and have barely attempted to eat anything at all, so maybe that's why it hasn't been so bad yet. I really do wish that drinking...anything wouldn't be extremely painful on the wound. At least, that's what I've found so far. I'm not looking forward to salt water rinsing, but hey, anything to avoid a dry socket. ;|

Posted by NES Queen

You might be lucky and have no pain or problems at all. Dentist told me its worse if you're a smoker, on birth control pills, or over 30 years old. Not sure how they're all related to each other, but seems to hold some merit.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

what's hilarious is when I got mine removed, I "woke up" in a chair somewhere in the dentist's office like in the back somewhere. I sat up and looked at myself in a mirror nearby, and noticed I had blood ALL OVER my mouth and on my shirt, from the surgery. I was groggy so I just said "whoa... cool." Then I noticed in the mirror this little boy come sit down behind me. He hadn't noticed me yet, so in my stupor, I got quite possibly the greatest idea ever... I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around and I made this fangy snarl like a vampire (a real one ready to **** somebody up, not one of these gay vampires with the big hair these days). The kid screamed and ran out of the room and I laid back and congratulated myself on what was quite possibly my best idea ever. it probably was, considering my state.

Posted by NES Queen

That sir, is awesome.

I woke up during the extraction to the sound of my teeth cracking in half and my dentist saying "I can't quite get to that one...". Then saw him lean over and shoot me up with more anesthesia.