Bayonetta: The First Next-Gen Beat-'Em-Up

Posted by Big Boss

Did you play the fucking demo!?

Holy shit. I played the God of War III demo, and it seemed like a good improvement, but nothing to get particularly excited about if you've already played the previous games, but Bayonetta... FUCK.

The demo shows just how much Hideki Kamiya and Platinum Games get beat-em-ups. The Evade system is fucking art. Audio queues for enemy attacks are easier to hear than in Devil May Cry, but you still have to pay attention to the attack animation in order to evade successfully. Evade at the very last minute, and time will slow down, allowing the player to perform crazier moves. It essentially works like a parry.

There are way too many combat subsystems going on, and I don't understand them fully from my single, short playthrough (like those cool finishers where torture devices pop out of nowhere), but it begs to be explored. From the short demo, there were already two impressive sequences where the environment is falling right under the player as combat goes on. It reminds me a little of the environment sequences in Uncharted 2, though it looks like Bayonetta will have more.

The game also controls beautifully and is fast. I haven't been this genuinely excited from playing a game since MGS4, and these are few and far between.

It's already out in Japan, but I'm waiting for the US version to buy it, and so should you. Buy it.

Posted by maian

Hmm, interesting. I suppose I'll look into the demo.

I just wish I didn't really hate the main character from everything I've seen. =/ Maybe it'll grow on me. But eh. If the gameplay is good, I'll try it out.

Posted by Stalolin

From what I saw of my brother playing the demo, I'm certainly going to purchase it. I haven't even touched the game control wise yet, but he seemed to have no trouble at all controlling the character, which is an enormous part for this genre.

also holy **** he skipped the intro to the demo and suddenly he was on a piece of a clock tower falling down a cliff that is insane

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Stalolin: also holy **** he skipped the intro to the demo and suddenly he was on a piece of a clock tower falling down a cliff that is insane

Yes, that was probably the coolest intro I've ever played.

Posted by Omni

I'm going to play the **** out of this game.

Posted by fnool

It's been a while since I've played a game of this type, and it's good to see that it's not one of those mash-the-buttons-to-look-awesome titles (here's looking at you, *** of War). Also, considering Famitsu gave the 360 version of this a perfect score and not the apparently subpar PS3 version, I'm pondering whether it'll turn the 360's reputation around in Japan.

Grabbing the demo right now. Shall report back!

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting fnool: it's good to see that it's not one of those mash-the-buttons-to-look-awesome titles

Hm I'll try it out then. The only thing stopping me is that I thought the game was essentially going to be Devil May Cry and I'm not a fan of those games. I'll dl the demo and see what this all about.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

bayonetta has ****ing hiroshima'd the rest of the beat em up genre, and this is coming from a guy who beat DMC4 on all difficulties and loves ninja gaiden 1+2

Posted by coromoro

I'm playing the demo right now. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this game plays beautifully and looks incredible. I don't think I've ever had so much fun beating things up. I'll surely get it when it comes out.

Holy ****, I just turned into a ****ing dinosaur. :eek:

Posted by Shin-Ra

I played the demo soon after posting in this thread and it's pretty ****ing badass. I just really, really dislike hack-n-slash games, but this one seems like a whole lot of fun. Playing the demo reminded me of my surprise when I first got Ninja Gaiden on xbox and ended up loving it.

Oh and I love the super girly style of this game. It's fun and gives it a lot of character.

Posted by Zeta

Played the first stage of the demo before work. Really ****ing cool. Tutorial music is pretty catchy too.

Still don't really like the main character's design, though.

Posted by Ant

Played the demo last night also before going to work.

I'll probably end up buying it the day of release.

Posted by Linko_16

Looking forward to this as well. Like Maian said, the main character kind of annoys me for some reason, but I will probably get over it.

Quoting fnool: It's been a while since I've played a game of this type, and it's good to see that it's not one of those mash-the-buttons-to-look-awesome titles (here's looking at you, *** of War).

I am glad that for once I am hearing someone else saying this about God of War.