Power Metal

Posted by netman

Does anyone actually still listen to it at all?

I used to love it and dream of running through flaming fields of epicness hand in hand with Luca Turilli and Hansi Kursch.

But now, all I have to say is its pretty ****ing gay, and can't find many redeemable qualities from it.

Which is funny. 5 years ago I thought I'd be listening to power metal forever.

Et tu?

Posted by Richaod

Oh, I totally agree... I still enjoy the bands with decent songwriting (Blind Guardian, Angra etc.) - but its default setting is pretty terrible. And now heaps of people I know are going on about Sonata Arctica like they're the greatest thing ever.

More importantly, I can't identify with it at all. Not that I EVER tried to make sense of Rhapsody's storylines or anything like that.

Posted by Omni

Modern power metal is gay, for lack of a better descriptor. Traditional power metal, which hardly sounds similar, is actually good and not overly happy, clich

Posted by Kutlass

i'm not grim enough to have a black and white avatar of grimness, and i'm definitely not gaaaaaaaaay enough to enjoy power metal anymore

when i listen to an old hammerfall song now it sounds so ****ing ridiculous. i'm pretty sure now excessively used phrases like "power of the steel" and "riding the winds of glory" are just homosexual innuendo.

I think most of us are rather ashamed of some of the music we listened to five years ago. Or at the very least, have to sit back and wonder how the hell we ever sincerely enjoyed it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

There are a few of these bands I still on enjoy on occasion, like Blind Guardian and Angel Dust. I'm not hugely into metal anymore, but when I am in the mood, Power Metal never really comes up as something I'd like to hear. It's pretty fun around friends while drinking though, which is something I can't say about any other subgenres of metal except maybe thrash. I'm always up for hearing new stuff though, even if I'll hate myself for listening to it in a month or so.

Posted by Phantasm

Never did like Power metal actually.

Instead I liked these over-bombed sympho metal bands.
Most of them are jap, so sometimes I still listen them.
and y'know... weeaboo etc.

Posted by Shade

I like Angel Dust, Enlighten the Darkness is one of my favorite albums.

That's about it, though.

Posted by Kendra, Warrior Babe

Yeah, I stopped listening to power metal for a two-year stint, and now, looking back through my cherished Hammerfall, Freedom Call, Dream Quest, Rhapsody and Avantasia albums... Yeah, it's pretty ****ing rediculous.
Though some bands manage to keep it epic and happy AND manly. Check out EdGuy, sometime, and Alestorm, and Lyriel.

:bounce:

Posted by fnool

I used to listen to a lot of power metal! Not so much these days what with the puberty and the shame and all.

Blind Guardian's older material is still nice, though. Helloween, too.

Posted by cool gamer dad

power metal is hilarious, I love it.