My video game stories

Posted by JackWriter

Hi.I'm Jackwriter and I am going to become a game designer after my graduation.I am not a programmer so I can't really make games but rather concepts instead.This is my first game Idea with the story.Hope you like it.

D.N
Gameplay:It is a beat

Posted by Ant

cool story bro

Posted by Prince Shondronai

VGChat is the perfect place for this. You are going to be so famous.

If you're allergic to sarcasm, I apologize to your next of kin.

Posted by JackWriter

Quoting Prince Shondronai: VGChat is the perfect place for this. You are going to be so famous.

If you're allergic to sarcasm, I apologize to your next of kin.

Thank you very much.But what do you mean by next of kin?

I mean you would have died from the sarcasm if you were allergic to it, thus disallowing me to apologize to you, personally. No harm done.

You might want to get copyrights on your stories/game designs before you start pasting them all over the internets, though. We're all fine upstanding members of society here on VGChat (there goes that sarcasm again, darnit!), but other denizens of the electronic hive of scum and villainy might not be so accomodating.

Posted by Big Boss

[QUOTE=JackWriter;953706]Hi.I'm Jackwriter and I am going to become a game designer after my graduation.I am not a programmer so I can't really make games but rather concepts instead.This is my first game Idea with the story.Hope you like it.

Oh, cool! So, who's going to program your idea?

Posted by JackWriter

I have no Idea where I can find a programmer now.Just tell me how the gameplay and the plot is.That will help me a lot.And Thank you for understanding me.

Posted by Kutlass

don

Posted by JackWriter

After 2 years from now.

Posted by JackWriter

Listen if you too got ideas,you can send them here so that everyone can help each other.

Posted by maian

wow that was awesom

i dont think they really have enough super powers though, like can max fueujack turn into a dragon or some **** thatd be really cool

if you want more of my ideas just tell me

Posted by JackWriter

Gun Hunter
Episode 1:Vanderik

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting JackWriter: I have no Idea where I can find a programmer now.Just tell me how the gameplay and the plot is.That will help me a lot.And Thank you for understanding me.

Oh, ok. Well, good luck with that. The reason I'm asking is that anyone willing to spend the amount of time and effort it takes to develop a good game, will likely spend it doing it for a game they want to make. Essentially, they would spend their time programming their own awesome game ideas. Otherwise, they get paid to make other people's ideas as part of large teams worth millions of dollars. Think about it. If you could program, would you make someone else's idea when you've thought about your own so passionately you're posting them online for the world (well, VGC) to see? Hell no! You'd make your own game! And so will the next guy, and the next...

Truth be told, every gamer has awesome-sounding ideas. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Making those ideas a reality is what makes them special. It's good to have ideas, sure, but don't spend so much time thinking about an idea without doing anything with it. Otherwise they'll be nothing more than words on a word document.

One thing I'm noticing, which is very common among "ideas" people have, is that you focus to much on your story. If you ever want to make a great game, your original story will likely suffer many changes, and the more of a story you have early on, the more you narrow the possibilities of creating a great-playing game ("Oh, I can't have this cool giant monster busting from the floor in the first level because monsters aren't revealed in the story until the end of the game!!!"). Instead, spend more time thinking about what the player does, in detail. Think about how levels would be laid out, and how encounters will occur, and (as many 16-bit beat-em-ups) in good detail. Having a general idea of the story while focusing on designing the mechanics of the game (player actions, enemies, level layout, player progression, etc.) will net you a stronger game idea with a higher chance of being made, even if in the end you'll have to learn C++, making it a short 2D game and posting it on the Xbox 360 Community. This wouldn't be so bad. There are plenty of books to help even the noobiest of noobs learn game programming.

Oh, but go to college first. :) Don't do this after high school unless you are a genius.

Posted by Stalolin

i want to be a genius

Posted by JackWriter

Quoting Big Boss: Oh, ok. Well, good luck with that. The reason I'm asking is that anyone willing to spend the amount of time and effort it takes to develop a good game, will likely spend it doing it for a game they want to make. Essentially, they would spend their time programming their own awesome game ideas. Otherwise, they get paid to make other people's ideas as part of large teams worth millions of dollars. Think about it. If you could program, would you make someone else's idea when you've thought about your own so passionately you're posting them online for the world (well, VGC) to see? Hell no! You'd make your own game! And so will the next guy, and the next...

Truth be told, every gamer has awesome-sounding ideas. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Making those ideas a reality is what makes them special. It's good to have ideas, sure, but don't spend so much time thinking about an idea without doing anything with it. Otherwise they'll be nothing more than words on a word document.

One thing I'm noticing, which is very common among "ideas" people have, is that you focus to much on your story. If you ever want to make a great game, your original story will likely suffer many changes, and the more of a story you have early on, the more you narrow the possibilities of creating a great-playing game ("Oh, I can't have this cool giant monster busting from the floor in the first level because monsters aren't revealed in the story until the end of the game!!!"). Instead, spend more time thinking about what the player does, in detail. Think about how levels would be laid out, and how encounters will occur, and (as many 16-bit beat-em-ups) in good detail. Having a general idea of the story while focusing on designing the mechanics of the game (player actions, enemies, level layout, player progression, etc.) will net you a stronger game idea with a higher chance of being made, even if in the end you'll have to learn C++, making it a short 2D game and posting it on the Xbox 360 Community. This wouldn't be so bad. There are plenty of books to help even the noobiest of noobs learn game programming.

Oh, but go to college first. :) Don't do this after high school unless you are a genius.

Thanx for the tip.But I don't think I like the Idea of being a programmer cuz I'm not capable of doing it.And besides if at all I can do programming,My concepts wouldn't be as good as this because I will only be spending the whole time in codes.That's why there is a separate programmer and a separate game designer.Just use your imagination if you're reading my stuff,no harm done.

Posted by maian

I would listen to Big Boss. He went to Full Sail college, a renowned game design school, and is well into the gaming industry right now (As far as I know). Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you REALLY don't want to program, AT ALL, wouldn't you have to have a set of skills that is extremely useful? Like he said, ideas are a dime a dozen, and unless you have a way to prove yourself useful, there's no point in even having them. I was under the impression that, if you're not going to be a programmer, you'd have to be someone strong on the artistic side, such as an artist, animator/renderer, art director, whatever. Am I wrong in assuming that someone strong on the side of art and design (assuming they do know a ****-ton about the technical side of that) could work their way up to a position such as an art director, and with those skills, eventually work up to lead designer? I'm not sure about all of this, so I'd love to be informed.

Also, Big Boss, I don't mean to be a pest, but what are some of these books? Any you recommend in particular? You've caught my interest. Cause I truly am intending to go into the industry. =| I'm just looking for a college right now. I'd like to get a head start on whatever I can.

And Jackwriter, what makes you "not capable" or programming? Surely you're at least capable of it if you try. And why on earth would your concepts take a hit if you're spending your time in code. Are you under the impression that they just hire people to sit in a room and devote all their time to thinking up concepts while a bunch of programming slaves make them happen? I have a ton of concepts, and I don't think spending more time in front of a computer screen is suddenly going to make them worse. They would probably just change, for better or for worse, as you find out how the technology limits your ideas, and how you'd have to bend your ideas to wrap around that.

Posted by JackWriter

Look I understand your point but if at all I do programming my creativity will get absorbed because I will only be spending time on codes rather than the concepts.There are lots of game designers out there who don't know programming but rather design the characters,concepts,gameplay and plot which I'm going to do.I even have proof just read this article from wikipedia.

As games became more complex and computers and consoles became more powerful (allowing more features), the job of the game designer became a separate job function, with the lead programmer splitting his time between the two functions, moving from one role to the other. Later, game complexity escalated to the point where it required someone who concentrated solely on game design. Many early veterans chose the game design path eschewing programming and delegating those tasks to others.
Today, it is rare to find a video or computer game where the principal programmer is also the principal designer, except in the case of casual games, such as Tetris or Bejeweled. With very complex games, such as MMORPGs, or a big budget action or sports title, designers may number in the dozens. In these cases, there are generally one or two principal designers and many junior designers who specify subsets or subsystems of the game. In larger companies like Electronic Arts, each aspect of the game (control, level design or vehicles) may have a separate producer, lead designer and several general designers.

Now just tell me if you like both of my stories please?

Posted by Kutlass

Quoting JackWriter: After 2 years from now.

no comment on my question about your major, huh? i hope you aren't too embarrassed to answer because it's something utterly useless like shakespeare.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting JackWriter: Thanx for the tip.But I don't think I like the Idea of being a programmer cuz I'm not capable of doing it.

Unless you have a brain disease that prevents you from thinking logically, then you're capable. Perfectly capable people in life give up on doing great things, on "making their dreams come true," because they lack the desire, and are too lazy. Anything worth having in life takes effort.

[quote]And besides if at all I can do programming,My concepts wouldn't be as good as this because I will only be spending the whole time in codes.That's why there is a separate programmer and a separate game designer.

Look I understand your point but if at all I do programming my creativity will get absorbed because I will only be spending time on codes rather than the concepts.

In a videogame studio, yes, the Creative Director or Lead Designer is responsible for thinking about the game design, communicating such design clearly to the different disciplines of the team (programmers, artists, producers and other designers), and be able to change the design based on proven feedback, budget and technical limitations, among other things.

However, a Creative Director wasn't born designing games and leading people into completing games. He or she had to start somewhere, and it wasn't designing games for other people to make.

Quoting JackWriter: There are lots of game designers out there who don't know programming but rather design the characters,concepts,gameplay and plot which I'm going to do.I even have proof just read this article from wikipedia.

This is true. However, some of them became the Creative Directors as a product of the times. People like Hideo Kojima joined the industry when the latest games did not require large teams of people. His lack of programming knowledge at the time actually worked against him, as his games kept getting rejected by Konami. Shigeru Miyamoto was an artist. As teams grew in size to meet the demand for more complex games, which required more complex technology, it was natural that the lead designers and planners of the older games (Miyamoto, Kojima, etc.) would become the lead designers and planners of the newer titles. They both have adapted to the times even today, while one actually improves on games (Kojima), and the other regressed to simplicity to appeal to gamers over a decade behind in expertise (Miyamoto), they both have a place in today's games.

At any rate, such a rise to a lead design position does not occur today. Games are more expensive to make than they have ever been, so studios would never trust an inexperienced new guy with a sheet of ideas to come lead the team into making a multimillion-dollar game. Studios that have done otherwise, like those giving the creative reigns of a game to people without game development experience, have met ugly ends in the form of bankrupcies, lawsuits, and at the very least have survived with crappy games released.

JackWriter, this all means that you won't be able to just go in a studio and make the people there develop your game. Heck, even the lucky ones I mentioned earlier can't convince their own studios to fund whatever weird game ideas they have. Kojima has been wanting to make non-MGS games for a while, and Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune can't convince his own company to develop a console sequel to Mega Man Legends 2.

So, what's left for anyone today, in this day and age, to do in order to enter the industry. Simple. Get some fucking skills. Become a proficient, hard-working artist, or an efficient, well-rounded programmer. Or, like all designers entering the industry for the past few years, such as myself, learn the tools we use to make the levels, events, encounters that we, with the help of the rest of the team and with guidance from a lead designer, have designed. The better you are on the technical side and the artistic side, the better designer you will be. You'll be able to communicate with both disciplines, gain their respect, and maybe one day you'll be the one leading a team to a well designed game.

[QUOTE=maian;953865]I would listen to Big Boss. He went to Full Sail college, a renowned game design school, and is well into the gaming industry right now (As far as I know).

While that is all well and good, there are two things to keep in mind: One, don't wait for a school to teach you game development. That was my mistake for never seriously thinking about what such a career would require of me. I joined the university without thinking twice, or preparing. I only had some calculus and physics under my belt. I survived and graduated, but many of my friends that joined with me dropped out after the first few months because, like me, they didn't know what the hell programming was, or a clue as to how a game is made. We were just gamers coming in. I wish I had known before then that there were PC games out there that offered editors that fans could use to learn a little bit about how to make levels.

Two, don't listen to what I'm saying just because "I'm in the industry," and for fuck's sake don't take what Wikipedia says as gospel. I've met enough fucktards in the industry that may be really good at what they do (code, using tools, art), but don't have a clue as to what games are, why some are fun, and why some are not. Just think for yourself of what I'm saying to you. Think. If something doesn't make sense, then doubt it and find out why that is. I know enough people that have had their game design dreams crushed, and are in denial or in silent grief, because they spent too much of their brain power dreaming in the clouds, and little time thinking about what it actually takes to make a game, and make yourself be part of a team making a game.

[QUOTE=maian]I was under the impression that, if you're not going to be a programmer, you'd have to be someone strong on the artistic side, such as an artist, animator/renderer, art director, whatever. Am I wrong in assuming that someone strong on the side of art and design (assuming they do know a ****-ton about the technical side of that) could work their way up to a position such as an art director, and with those skills, eventually work up to lead designer? I'm not sure about all of this, so I'd love to be informed.

Example: Lead Animator of God of War became Creative Director of God of War II, and was a writer for God of War: Chains of Olympus.

[QUOTE=maian]Also, Big Boss, I don't mean to be a pest, but what are some of these books? Any you recommend in particular? You've caught my interest. Cause I truly am intending to go into the industry. =| I'm just looking for a college right now. I'd like to get a head start on whatever I can.

For programming, I can't recommend any beginner's book since the first time I actually programmed something was in the brutal C++ class in Full Sail. However, there are plenty of books out there for beginners, and there's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft%C2%AE-XNA%C2%AE-Game-Studio-3-0/dp/0735626588/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259909771&sr=1-5"]one in particular that might prove useful[/url]. Not sure if it's the best XNA book, but it looked prety easy from the first chapter, as it walks the reader through the steps of how game code runs by using XNA. If you get good enough with it, you can pay $100 to join the XBLA Community Games and have your game published there. This will also allow you to test your game on your X360... the book explains this whole thing better. The best way to learn is with a project in mind. Think about how the information you're learning could be applied to a game you want to make. Or, better yet, look back at how some of your favorite games do the things they do.

For a level designer, [url="http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Unreal-Technology-Introduction-Design/dp/0672329913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259910399&sr=1-1"]Mastering Unreal[/url] is a necessity. If you want to be a game designer, knowing your way around the Unreal Editor and demonstrating it with your own maps will get your feet wet on what a level designer does 80% of the time. This is a series of three books, and it walks the reader on how to use the editor, how enemies are placed, lighting, etc. The first book comes with a Steam code for downloading Unreal Tournament 3, which comes with the Unreal Editor. You'll be making your level as you follow the book, and learning more about how a game is made from the content side. It is invaluable, since a ton of developers use the Unreal Engine 3 for their projects. I used Unreal when I worked on a X360/PS3 title in '07, but I got it anyway as it's good to expand my knowledge of the editor.

I also heard [url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+art+of+game+design&x=0&y=0"]The Art of Game Design[/url] is an excellent book for designers, written by one of the guys that made World of Goo. I own it but haven't read it, as the time I have to improve my skills goes to my technical abilities, since I'm a good designer, but my 3D math skills need some serious polish.

[QUOTE=maian]And Jackwriter, what makes you "not capable" or programming? Surely you're at least capable of it if you try. And why on earth would your concepts take a hit if you're spending your time in code. Are you under the impression that they just hire people to sit in a room and devote all their time to thinking up concepts while a bunch of programming slaves make them happen? I have a ton of concepts, and I don't think spending more time in front of a computer screen is suddenly going to make them worse. They would probably just change, for better or for worse, as you find out how the technology limits your ideas, and how you'd have to bend your ideas to wrap around that.

And more ideas will come, so always have your notepad/notebook ready, and organize yourself. Allocate time to sit back and think about your idea in greater detail, write a doc on it, draw up some maps, etc. Any knowledge you get from pursuing art and/or coding will improve your ideas, since you can better imagine, and eventually prototype, how they can get done, and waste less time on ideas that are just impossible to make in the next 30 or 40 years, and sometimes never.

Posted by maian

Quoting Big Boss:
While that is all well and good, there are two things to keep in mind: One, don't wait for a school to teach you game development. That was my mistake for never seriously thinking about what such a career would require of me. I joined the university without thinking twice, or preparing. I only had some calculus and physics under my belt. I survived and graduated, but many of my friends that joined with me dropped out after the first few months because, like me, they didn't know what the hell programming was, or a clue as to how a game is made. We were just gamers coming in. I wish I had known before then that there were PC games out there that offered editors that fans could use to learn a little bit about how to make levels.

I agree, and I'm fully aware of this, so I'm hating myself for having still not taken any initiative on the matter. Though I'm certainly looking into going into the more artistic side of game design, I know I'd be stupid to think that I won't need any kind of programming knowledge. I'd like to start reading books, etc. My dad works in IT and has some programming knowledge as well, so perhaps that's some small advantage I could use to get a head start.

[quote]
Two, don't listen to what I'm saying just because "I'm in the industry," and for fuck's sake don't take what Wikipedia says as gospel. I've met enough fucktards in the industry that may be really good at what they do (code, using tools, art), but don't have a clue as to what games are, why some are fun, and why some are not. Just think for yourself of what I'm saying to you. Think. If something doesn't make sense, then doubt it and find out why that is. I know enough people that have had their game design dreams crushed, and are in denial or in silent grief, because they spent too much of their brain power dreaming in the clouds, and little time thinking about what it actually takes to make a game, and make yourself be part of a team making a game.

This is one of the things I expect the absolute most in entering the industry. In any case, I said to listen to you in the sense that you know how things work structurally in the game industry since you're in it. As in, yes, you would know that you can't just walk into the industry with ideas and expect to be promoted to creative director. As for knowledge and creativity, I'm fully aware that the idiots [probably] far outnumber the people with true potential. I've talked to tons of people who are "going into the game industry," and most are people I KNOW have ****ty ideas. I truly believe I have the mind to do well in the industry, but that won't mean anything until I earn some stripes. I'm going in for more reason than "LOL VIDJYA GAMES ARE SO FUN LOL I PLAY THEM ALL DAY IT'D BE SO KOOL TO MAKE THEM ALL DAY AND NIGHT AND PLAY THEM ALL DAY AND NIGHT LOL"

[quote]For programming, I can't recommend any beginner's book since the first time I actually programmed something was in the brutal C++ class in Full Sail. However, there are plenty of books out there for beginners, and there's [url="http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft%C2%AE-XNA%C2%AE-Game-Studio-3-0/dp/0735626588/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259909771&sr=1-5"]one in particular that might prove useful[/url]. Not sure if it's the best XNA book, but it looked prety easy from the first chapter, as it walks the reader through the steps of how game code runs by using XNA. If you get good enough with it, you can pay $100 to join the XBLA Community Games and have your game published there. This will also allow you to test your game on your X360... the book explains this whole thing better. The best way to learn is with a project in mind. Think about how the information you're learning could be applied to a game you want to make. Or, better yet, look back at how some of your favorite games do the things they do.

For a level designer, [url="http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Unreal-Technology-Introduction-Design/dp/0672329913/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259910399&sr=1-1"]Mastering Unreal[/url] is a necessity. If you want to be a game designer, knowing your way around the Unreal Editor and demonstrating it with your own maps will get your feet wet on what a level designer does 80% of the time. This is a series of three books, and it walks the reader on how to use the editor, how enemies are placed, lighting, etc. The first book comes with a Steam code for downloading Unreal Tournament 3, which comes with the Unreal Editor. You'll be making your level as you follow the book, and learning more about how a game is made from the content side. It is invaluable, since a ton of developers use the Unreal Engine 3 for their projects. I used Unreal when I worked on a X360/PS3 title in '07, but I got it anyway as it's good to expand my knowledge of the editor.

I also heard [url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+art+of+game+design&x=0&y=0"]The Art of Game Design[/url] is an excellent book for designers, written by one of the guys that made World of Goo. I own it but haven't read it, as the time I have to improve my skills goes to my technical abilities, since I'm a good designer, but my 3D math skills need some serious polish.

Thanks. I'll look into those. It'll be nice to actually start on something technical.

[quote]And more ideas will come, so always have your notepad/notebook ready, and organize yourself. Allocate time to sit back and think about your idea in greater detail, write a doc on it, draw up some maps, etc. Any knowledge you get from pursuing art and/or coding will improve your ideas, since you can better imagine, and eventually prototype, how they can get done, and waste less time on ideas that are just impossible to make in the next 30 or 40 years, and sometimes never.

This, fortunately, I'm already doing. I'm working on an RPG-esque concept right now that I've been drawing characters/maps/gameplay scenarios etc for. I'm fully aware that it will probably never be made, but it's interesting how differently things become right when they go onto paper. Things that seem like they should work fine in your head suddenly become flawed and complicated when you think of every aspect of potential gameplay. I love it though, it's like putting together a big puzzle. And at the very very least, it's something I can show if I ever need to for some bizarre reason.

Posted by JackWriter

Look big boss,don't be like my bro okay?You may have a point of being a programmer but I don't want to do programming.Now let me give you an example of what I meant.In some video game credits(like super smash bros Melee,Pokemon Diamond) why are programmer and game designing staffs separate instead of combining them together and call it the game designing staff instead?Maybe I should have said that I am gonna be a game artist/storywriter/character designer instead.DOES THAT NEED ANY OF PROGRAMMING?!? look big boss maybe you might have got the information wrong and like you said maybe we all should find out what the correct meaning of game designing really is.If games are expensive and if they say that you need programming the only thing I can say is this.....An Idea is the most valuable thing and if the idea is disturbed by programming it would become worse.I'll give you an example if you have seen the game Sonic 06(The one with ps3 or xbox 360)It sold badly.Why you ask because if what you are saying is true,those game designers who aren't good in making great concepts but rather make the graphics great were responsible for this or maybe due to the fact that sega didn't want it to release it before Christmas.
Now why can't anyone read my second story and say something about it?Cuz
my friend cody and the other members of yahoo answers dound it interesting.If you are attempting me to be a programmer,I can assure you that my creativity will be horrible than you expected.And I am not lazy to learn programming and I don't have any brain diseases either.I'll give you a good example.Go to google and read about Steve Purcell and Ron Gilbert(The creator of Monkey island)

Posted by coromoro

I'll read it when you learn to write a little better! There are so many grammatical mistakes and such a lack of structure that it's unbearable to read such a long wall of text. You need to improve on that too if you want to present your ideas. By the way, it seems you've completely missed Big Boss's and maian's points, so I suggest you read their posts again.

This thread has spurred up some really interesting discussion, so thanks, contributors.

Oh, and one more thing. I skimmed through your story a bit, and some of the character names are ridiculous. Max Fuejack? Yeaso? Gotchya? Kazak? Darkvolt? Dincky? Kharn? Wow... :o

Posted by maian

Quoting JackWriter: Look big boss,don't be like my bro okay?You may have a point of being a programmer but I don't want to do programming.Now let me give you an example of what I meant.In some video game credits(like super smash bros Melee,Pokemon Diamond) why are programmer and game designing staffs separate instead of combining them together and call it the game designing staff instead?Maybe I should have said that I am gonna be a game artist/storywriter/character designer instead.DOES THAT NEED ANY OF PROGRAMMING?!? look big boss maybe you might have got the information wrong and like you said maybe we all should find out what the correct meaning of game designing really is.If games are expensive and if they say that you need programming the only thing I can say is this.....An Idea is the most valuable thing and if the idea is disturbed by programming it would become worse.I'll give you an example if you have seen the game Sonic 06(The one with ps3 or xbox 360)It sold badly.Why you ask because if what you are saying is true,those game designers who aren't good in making great concepts but rather make the graphics great were responsible for this or maybe due to the fact that sega didn't want it to release it before Christmas.
Now why can't anyone read my second story and say something about it?Cuz
my friend cody and the other members of yahoo answers dound it interesting.If you are attempting me to be a programmer,I can assure you that my creativity will be horrible than you expected.And I am not lazy to learn programming and I don't have any brain diseases either.I'll give you a good example.Go to google and read about Steve Purcell and Ron Gilbert(The creator of Monkey island)

I'm not sure if I can argue with you. You continuously fail to see the points that Big Boss and I have attempted to make, under your own flawed logic that spending time in front of a computer screen will somehow magically deteriorate good ideas. If this is the mindset you have entering the game industry, you are sure to fail. The point is, you NEED a viable set of skills to get you up the ranks to a position such as Creative Director or Lead Designer. There's no possible way you'd ever get there without starting on the bottom rung of the ladder. Unless you're extremely artistically gifted, the path will most likely be in technical skills and programming. Even if you ARE extremely artistically gifted, it would still be smart to at least attempt to learn basic programming. The point is, you're assuming, regardless of what we try to tell you, that you can just walk in and have your ideas made into these fantastic games.

Also, you say that if an idea is disturbed by programming, it will become worse. Dumb logic aside, this is the kind of thing you will have to expect in making games all the time. While I believe you're trying to say that sitting there programming will somehow stop you from thinking creatively (Which I heavily disagree with), the reality is that you'll face endless limitations on what you want to achieve. Technical issues and programming WILL limit you, and be prepared to dumb down or severely change your stories to meet the limitations of your software. And if you're not facing limitations in programming power and technical ability, you'll likely face limitations on how far you can go with your budget and time restraints. Thinking of a massive, fleshed out detailed story under the assumption that you'll be able to walk into the industry and have it made is foolhardy, since there are millions of factors that will shape what it ultimately becomes. You say you're planning to be an artist and character designer, but how far does your artistic ability go? I'm not completely informed, but I IMAGINE that only the best of the best artists end up getting the full time art jobs in the industry. These are people who draw day and night, who have impeccable talent with perspectives and anatomy, these are people who have mastered the art of drawing with a tablet. I'm an artist myself, and I've been using an Intuos 2 Tablet to draw many things lately, and I still doubt I have the raw ability that is required for being, say, a concept artist. That being said, I still plan vaguely to make my career out of the artistic SIDE of gaming. I'm just saying, you'll want to arm yourself with as much skill as possible.

And, your story. One of the biggest problems here is that your grammar usage and english skills are horrendously bad. You're two years from graduating, so you're what, a sophomore in high school? The way you type is embarrassing. I was typing literately in sixth or seventh grade, and if you want anybody to take you seriously, I advise you start. I for one would probably be a whole lot less harsh on you if you did type intelligently. Your character names are absurd as Coro noted, as are many situations in your story. I think you're building it up far too much in your head to be what you want it to be, and that will inevitably lead to disappointment.

Posted by JackWriter

Quoting maian:
Also, you say that if an idea is disturbed by programming, it will become worse. Dumb logic aside, this is the kind of thing you will have to expect in making games all the time. While I believe you're trying to say that sitting there programming will somehow stop you from thinking creatively (Which I heavily disagree with), the reality is that you'll face endless limitations on what you want to achieve. Technical issues and programming WILL limit you, and be prepared to dumb down or severely change your stories to meet the limitations of your software. And if you're not facing limitations in programming power and technical ability, you'll likely face limitations on how far you can go with your budget and time restraints. Thinking of a massive, fleshed out detailed story under the assumption that you'll be able to walk into the industry and have it made is foolhardy, since there are millions of factors that will shape what it ultimately becomes. You say you're planning to be an artist and character designer, but how far does your artistic ability go? I'm not completely informed, but I IMAGINE that only the best of the best artists end up getting the full time art jobs in the industry. These are people who draw day and night, who have impeccable talent with perspectives and anatomy, these are people who have mastered the art of drawing with a tablet. I'm an artist myself, and I've been using an Intuos 2 Tablet to draw many things lately, and I still doubt I have the raw ability that is required for being, say, a concept artist. That being said, I still plan vaguely to make my career out of the artistic SIDE of gaming. I'm just saying, you'll want to arm yourself with as much skill as possible.

And, your story. One of the biggest problems here is that your grammar usage and english skills are horrendously bad. You're two years from graduating, so you're what, a sophomore in high school? The way you type is embarrassing. I was typing literately in sixth or seventh grade, and if you want anybody to take you seriously, I advise you start. I for one would probably be a whole lot less harsh on you if you did type intelligently. Your character names are absurd as Coro noted, as are many situations in your story. I think you're building it up far too much in your head to be what you want it to be, and that will inevitably lead to disappointment.

On the country my dear friend I have a tablet like you and I draw characters,and comic strips like you.I can show you my art if you want but I don't know how to send them here.All my stuff is .jpeg and .png,I don't think this web can send that stuff.But I agree with you about my grammar since I was rushing it due to excitement.But what I disagree with you is a game designer who isn't skilled in writing codes for doing actions for each event but is rather skilled in drawing skills, explaining concepts and gameplay and writing stories and plot for each game is forced to write codes.Look I appreciate you two trying to convince me in programming but I have read articles and from my uncle that it is really not that necessary to learn programming.

And here is the improved grammar of my second game Gun Hunter.
Gun Hunter
Episode 1:Vanderik

Posted by JackWriter

Hey coromoro I agree with you.Its just i was rushing and didn't notice any mistakes.Here is the Improved concept of D.N
D.N
Gameplay:It is a beat’em up game. Players goal is to defeat enemies and a boss at the end of every stage. Players choose three of these characters Max feujack Yeaso Gotchya and Kalie Rio, each with different abilities and different stories. But adds an interesting move.

Instead of recovering health if the player’s health
Reaches zero,the player can recover by pressing buttons that appear on the screen rapidly.
If the player fails to fill atleast one full energy bar,the game ends,also if the player keeps fainting,the buttons will appear fast.

There are three types of moves,solo,kazak and bang which the player can choose anytime.Solo moves are those which have simple moves like punches and kicks.Kazak mover are a little stronger moves with energy powers.Bang moves are more powerful moves and are done in a single blow.Performing Kazak and Bang moves will require certain amount of Red Dragons from the dragon bar but performing Bang moves not only reduce the Dragon bar but also the health bar as well.

These three types are further divided into combo moves.These moves allow the player to learn new moves from Solo,Kazak and Bang moves.To perform these combos the player needs to increase the combo bar to maximum by fighting baddies in order to perform combo 1 and so on.But If the enemies hit the player the combo bar will begin to reduce.
New Combo moves can be learned after completing a stage.

Story:Each character has a different story and a different plot.
Yeaso Gotchya:One day a kung fu master Kharn challenges his brother Kamil a new way of kung fu fighting.But to do this he must get himself a student.Kharn found a guy named Yeaso beaten by a bully.

Yeaso then agrees to learn martial arts with Kharn.Later Kamil decides to challenge Kharn’s student to a duel.Despite Yeaso’s victory,Kamil refuses to accept his defeat and he explains Yeaso about an evil lord shadow named Dincky.

Once there was a world called the Hell of Shadows.It was said that an emperor Fuize-Tung got lost there and five shadows,Darkvolt,Haze,Ibra,Blizzard and Dincky surrounded him.Fuize warned them to leave him alone but they all refused and they started attacking him.Fuize realeased a huge light which the shadows cannot resist.This destroyed the whole of the Hell of shadows land and all shadows were killed.Fuize was just about to leave but Dincky somehow survived from the explosion and fused with Fuize to create a powerful being.Only Dincky can control the new form.Seeing his hometown destroyed and his friends killed,Dincky takes his spell book and heads to the Fuiji sprit temple inorder ot revive his friends.But when he got there a priest send him to a portal and flungs him to another dimension.The portal sends Dincky to earth which makes his goal more difficult.But having heard of the legend of the Morgan Circle he decided to forget reviving his friends and find the circle to gain the power of eternity and dominate the whole universe instead.Hence he has wrecked havoc everywhere and killed millions of innorcent lives.After Kamil finishes the story,Kharn requests Yeaso to go buy a computer.

Yeaso was just about to use his move Nintusu until Kharn tells him to practice navigation for the time trial lesson.Yeaso agrees and goes by walking.Yeaso buys a computer from a stranger who calls himself the Disco Pop.Yeaso discovers some evil shadows attacking Kalie Rio Hoaska a blind man.Yeaso saves Kalie and offers to help the blind man by teaching him martial arts.But when they come back they find out that
Kharn is gone and Kamil is badly injured.Kamil tells Yeaso that Dincky has kidnapped Kharn and requests him to save Kharn. Agreeing Kamil’s request,Kamil gives Yeaso a power that is not known yet and he tells him to use it wisely but this causes Kamil’s death.

Yeaso’s computer shows Dincky’s location and the two agree to rescue Kharn .But Kalie fell on something.The two open the bag and find the Morgan circle.When Yeaso steps on the circle a dragon comes out.The dragon does not find the old man and realises that Yeaso and Kalei must be his students.Knowing that the old man is in trouble the dragon offered them powers.But before he gave the powers he warned them that they cannot perform moves from other kung fu masters but only with the powers from the circle.Yeaso refused because he trusted Kamil’s new power.Seeing Kalei blind the dragon gave Kalei the wind power.This helped Kalei sense things which can guide him.

The dragon wishes them good luck and dissappears.They first head to the train station which leads them to the forest where Dincky is.But as the train goes a fog begins to come and suddenly shadows cause trouble in the train.After Yeaso and Kalie stop them,the train crashes and they end up in a forest which is not the one where Dincky is.The two decided to split up but the fog causes them to go to the wrong directions.They finally made it to Dincky’s forest but they need the password to enter Dincky’s hideout.After they find the password,they get lost in the cave and are attacked by a giant worm.After that,they finally found Kharn.Yeaso tries to free Kharn but Kalie senses something odd after which Dincky arrives and attacks them.Yeaso realises that whatever attack he performs does not affect Dincky at all.Yeaso was then reminded about the power Kamil gave him and he uses it.

Suddenly Yeaso’s attacks begin to work and now understands how Dincky is strong.For the host Dincky fuses,he is invisible because his whole body becomes a shadow and the only way to fight him is to become a shadow.With Dincky defeated Dincky can only kill them if he knew the spell to turn into a more powerful being which he forgot.Yeaso got his spell book from the giant worm and he destroys it.Dincky gets angry and tries to release a huge power but Yeaso stops him with a single blow killing Dincky.The cave begins to collapse and the three escape.Kharn congratuates Yeaso for his courage.Kalie thanked Yeaso and decides to go and find his destiny leaving Yeaso and Kharn.The game ends when Yeaso goes out with a girl for a date.

Kalei Rio Hosaka: In a far away pa***a lives a peaceful unit.When suddenly a huge army of bandits known as the Black arrows started killing people and destroying towns.Tre-zi-lu the head of the Black arrows heads to his brother Ke-lee-lu to take over his place.the two began to fight.Ke-lee was almost defeated until his son Kalei saves him and fights Tre-zi-lu.Tre-Zi-lu slices off Kalei’s eyes making Ke-Lee angry.Ke-Lee quickly puts Kalei into a coma and puts him on a horse leaving him riding somewhere far away.

The next day Kalei wakes up and ends up in a desert.The horse leaves him there.Kalei realises that his home is destroyed and he decides to get help from a kung fu master but suddenly the Black arrows found him and sends him to prison.Kalei escapes and rides another horse.Soon he makes it to japan and he is suddenly attacked by some bullies until Yeaso saves him.Yeaso decides to help Kalei by teaching him martial arts. But when they come back they find out that Kharn is gone and Kamil is badly injured.Kamil tells Yeaso that Dincky has kidnapped Kharn and requests him to save Kharn. Agreeing Kamil’s request,Kamil gives Yeaso a power that is not known yet and he tells him to use it wisely but this causes Kamil’s death.

Yeaso’s computer shows Dincky’s location and the two agree to rescue Kharn .But Kalie fell on something.The two open the bag and find the Morgan circle.When Yeaso steps on the circle a dragon comes out.The dragon does not find the old man and realises that Yeaso and Kalei must be his students.Knowing that the old man is in trouble the dragon offered them powers.But before he gave the powers he warned them that they cannot perform moves from other kung fu masters but only with the powers from the circle.Yeaso refused because he trusted Kamil’s new power.Seeing Kalei blind the dragon gave Kalei the wind power.This helped Kalei sense things which can guide him.

The dragon wishes them good luck and dissappears.They first head to the train station which leads them to the forest where Dincky is.But as the train goes a fog begins to come and suddenly shadows cause trouble in the train.After Yeaso and Kalie stop them,the train crashes and they end up in a forest which is not the one where Dincky is.The two decided to split up but the fog causes them to go to the wrong directions.They finally made it to Dincky’s forest but they need the password to enter Dincky’s hideout.After they find the password,they get lost in the cave and are attacked by a giant worm.After that,they finally found Kharn.Yeaso tries to free Kharn but Kalie senses something odd after which Dincky arrives and attacks them.Yeaso realises that whatever attack he performs does not affect Dincky at all.Yeaso was then reminded about the power Kamil gave him and he uses it.

Suddenly Yeaso’s attacks begin to work and now understands how Dincky is strong.For the host Dincky fuses,he is invisible because his whole body becomes a shadow and the only way to fight him is to become a shadow.With Dincky defeated Dincky can only kill them if he knew the spell to turn into a more powerful being which he forgot.Yeaso got his spell book from the giant worm and he destroys it.Dincky gets angry and tries to release a huge power but Yeaso stops him with a single blow killing Dincky.The cave begins to collapse and the three escape.Kharn congratuates Yeaso for his courage.Kalie thanked Yeaso and decides to go and find his destiny leaving Yeaso and Kharn

Kalei then finds his hometown being slaved and laboured.Here he must make it to the castle without the guards knowing his arrival.After Kalei enters the castle he makes it to Tre-Zi-lu and they begin to fight.This time Kalei defeats him but suddenly Kalei senses something strange in Tre-zi’s body.At this point it is shown that Dincky fused with him becoming more powerful than before.Kalei is almost defeated until Yeaso saves him and quickly takes kalei to a safe point.Yeaso uses a device called the Dragon holder which holds Kalei’s dragon power so that Kalei can learn the move Yeaso used in order to defeat Dincky since he is a shadow.They kill Dincky and Tre-Zi-Lu.Peace has returned and Kalei would become the new emperor.But realising Yeaso’s loniness he refused and joins with Yeaso.The game ends when Yeaso and Kalei make it to Japan and call themselves D.N the Dragon Ninjas.

Max FeuJack:After ruining Dr.Vanderick’s evil plan,peace returns in Gadcarnet city.After several years have passed,Max FeuJack and Alec Faretch receive a message from the commisioner Lt.Surge.According to this message,a crazy bushin ninja named Rex Taipo wrecks havoc all over Japan and is considered the most dangerous person ever.The only way to beat him is to learn martial arts.So Max goes to Japan while Alec stays in Gadcarnet city.

When Max gets there he suddenly meets Yeaso from nowhere.Yeaso knows what Max is upto and asks him if he wants to learn martial arts.But Max refused because of Yeaso’s pride.Determined to make Max on his side Yeaso steals Max’s wallet and runs quickly forcing Max to follow him.Yeaso builds pranks on people and tells them that Max did it making Max fight against them.

After Yeaso lost him he buys himself a beer until Max shoots his jar.Yeaso gives up and gives his wallet back but he warns Max that tech is a weakling.Kalei suddenly arrives and tells Max that they know he has to learn martial arts inorder to fight Rex.Kalei tells him that he and Yeaso can help him provided that he trusts in them.After seeing Kalei shoot a bird from 1,000 miles and Yeaso’s combat Max agrees and learns martial arts with them.Yeaso takes him to the Morgan circle.

The dragon comes out and grants Max any one power he wants.Max chooses fire.After several months pass Max must defeat Yeaso inorder to fight Rex.Max wins and thanks them for their help despite their attitudes.They get themselves a taxi to head to Tokyo but the driver takes him somewhere else putting them into a coma.They wake up and realise that the driver works with Rex and he places a bomb and leaves.They manage to escape and ride a bike to reach to some town in a desert.They realise some people work with Rex and they try to get them but Max and co manage to escape and reach Tokyo.

They then enter a resturant and regonises Rex’s henchmen.Yeaso and Kalei will fight the others while Max can go to the rooftop and fight Rex.Max tries to shoot him but the gun gets overheated and finally realises Yeaso’s line”Tech is a weakling” .But Max easily defeats him but Rex begins to suddenly change.It was Dincky who fused with Rex and attacks Max.Max almost gets killed until Kalei and Yeaso save him.Since Yeaso is the only one who can kill Dincky he begged Max to surrender his dragon power and put it to the dragon holder.But Max refused and after several attempts he gave up and sent his dragon powers to the Dragon holder allowing him to learn Yeaso’s move to kill Dincky.After several atemps Max almost kills Dincky but dincky manages to escape killing Rex instead.Peace returns and Max admits he was wrong and becomes friends with Yeaso and Kalei.The game ends when Yeaso makes Max a new member of the D.N and Max and Yeaso sing the song “Y shouldn’t we party?”.

Secret story:This story can only be unlocked after finishing all the three stories.Dincky is alive despite Kalei’s effort on killing him.Suddenly Dincky remembers a transform from his spell book.He eats a crow,sticks a black feather on his hair and mutters words.He then transforms into a giant bird and he calls himself Black Dincky.Black Dincky flies off seeking revenge to those ninjas.Meanwhile Yeaso and his girlfriend Jeniya are on a date while Max and Kalei just watch them get along.

Suddenly Shadows begin wrecking havoc every where.The ninjas are astonished to see Dincky back.Black Dincky introduces to them his new form and he kidnaps Jeniya.The ninjas chase after him.Soon they found him and begin to fight.Yeaso realises that he didn’t need to be a shadow to fight him.But Black Dincky explains him why.Dincky can only host to a person only if he/she is pure evil.And he tells him that the attacks he performed on previous host are not his attacks but rather the hosts instead.He just joins with them to show how evil they are and if they do not match his type he leaves the host letting the ninjas kill it.But now that he transformed,his shadow combines with the host allowing him to perform his attacks.

The ninjas realise how strong he is with his agility,speed and power,they decided to fight together.After they kill Dincky with a final blow,peace returns and the game ends when Janiya kisses Yeaso and Max goes back to Gadcarnet city promising them that he will come back when they need him.

Posted by JackWriter

Hey coromoro I agree with you.Its just i was rushing and didn't notice any mistakes.Here is the Improved concept of D.N
D.N
Gameplay:It is a beat

Posted by JackWriter

Okay big boss and maian I will give you the topics from arenaanimation website since I can't post ULR's here.

Game and Simulation Programming

Game Art & Design

Game Software Development

Computer Animation

Special Effects Animation

Game Design

Programming & Game Development

C++ Programming for Game Developers

Video Game Console Design

Robotics

Graphics Programming with DirectX 9

Lightmapping & Radiosity

3D Engine Architecture

Game Mathematics

Artificial Intelligence for Game Developers

Physics for Game Developers

Digital Entertainment and Game Design

Creative Writing and Storyboarding for Games

Game Interface Design

Graphics Programming with OpenGL

Terrain Rendering

Special Effects Programming

This allows me to pick which topics I need.Creative writing and storyboarding for games,game art and design,special effects animation,game design and video and console game design.All these don't need programming.So you made the mistake of finding the right path.Both of you.Okay big boss and maian let me give you a task and just try to do it.Big boss tell some of your friends or your boss that you lack in programming or creativity.Y'know what he will say?If you are not creative but you know programming,he will assign you as a programmer and if you are not a programmer,he will assign you as a game designer.Many of us ore confused of the word game designing and that is why many don't want to do it.If you still argue,you are on your own.But I must give you a warning,don't spoil Maian just because he asked you about being a game designer and one day when you are in pressure you will soon realise the point i'm trying to tell you.And Maian,if you want to believe him,do it.But just leave me about programming because I'm bad in Math.

Posted by coromoro

OK, so... you study that, then what? Magically obtain a career in game design?

I read a good chunk of your "Gun Hunter" story. I had to stop because your grammar and structure is still lacking way too much, and because your story sounds like a slightly more mature version of a Bugs Bunny cartoon, and I don't mean it in a good way...

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

I have a feeling they're saying that if you can't pull of multi stuff, you're jumping into an industry everyone wants to be in. It's like picking a ***ly guitarist in a band, or the ***ly guitarist that can sing while playing. You may not need to, but it doesn't hurt.

Also, I'm getting giggles out of this

Posted by maian

Quoting JackWriter: This allows me to pick which topics I need.Creative writing and storyboarding for games,game art and design,special effects animation,game design and video and console game design.All these don't need programming.So you made the mistake of finding the right path.Both of you.Okay big boss and maian let me give you a task and just try to do it.Big boss tell some of your friends or your boss that you lack in programming or creativity.Y'know what he will say?If you are not creative but you know programming,he will assign you as a programmer and if you are not a programmer,he will assign you as a game designer.Many of us ore confused of the word game designing and that is why many don't want to do it.If you still argue,you are on your own.But I must give you a warning,don't spoil Maian just because he asked you about being a game designer and one day when you are in pressure you will soon realise the point i'm trying to tell you.And Maian,if you want to believe him,do it.But just leave me about programming because I'm bad in Math.

...What the hell does this post even mean? I seriously can't even understand what you're trying to say to me. Do you know how to speak properly? Also, why on earth do you never use a space after your periods and commas? Surely, you've realized that's what everybody else on the internet does?

Also, I read your story. Dear lord. It's awful. Do you really think any of this, in any regard, is good? Seriously? For those who are too lazy to read, here's an excerpt:

[quote]Episode 3:The action begins
Meanwhile Vanderick finds Max with his computer

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting JackWriter: This allows me to pick which topics I need.Creative writing and storyboarding for games,game art and design,special effects animation,game design and video and console game design.All these don't need programming.

It allows you to pick any "topics" (or subjects, I presume) that you want or think you need. What you really need depends on the requirements of the videogame studio you want to work for. Go to the jobs page of several game company websites and look at the requirements for a game design position. See what you need to meet them. Many will require previous programming or scripting experience, and others with experience in 3D level building. All will require excellent communication skills, which seems to be your most glaring problem. So, the fewer skills you have, the fewer game design jobs that will be opened to you. It's simple math.

[QUOTE=JackWriter]So you made the mistake of finding the right path.Both of you.

This sentence makes no sense, which doesn't help your case as a designer that can communicate clearly. I believe English should be your primary subject of interest, before any game courses. How can one make the mistake of finding the right path, when finding the right path is right, making it not a mistake?

[QUOTE=JackWriter]Okay big boss and maian let me give you a task and just try to do it.Big boss tell some of your friends or your boss that you lack in programming or creativity.Y'know what he will say?If you are not creative but you know programming,he will assign you as a programmer and if you are not a programmer,he will assign you as a game designer.

No. If I was a great programmer, but uninterested or incapable of being creative, then I would be a programmer (after all, great programmers are always on demand in the industry. Without them you don't have a game. You would have nothing). However, if I could not program at all, but was very creative, I would be fired from my job. A game designer in our studio is expected to not only design his level, with encounters, boss battles and other events, but also to script it using a C-like programming language. Only the creative director, a person with creativity, great communication and people management skills, with many games released under his belt and many years of work experience in the industry, will not program or script a level.

[QUOTE=JackWriter]Many of us ore confused of the word game designing and that is why many don't want to do it.

On the contrary. Most people that want to enter the industry want to do so as game designers, but when they find out what it takes to work as a game designer and make a real game, most of them get their dreams crushed because they didn't match with reality.

[QUOTE=JackWriter]If you still argue,you are on your own.But I must give you a warning,don't spoil Maian just because he asked you about being a game designer and one day when you are in pressure you will soon realise the point i'm trying to tell you.And Maian,if you want to believe him,do it.But just leave me about programming because I'm bad in Math.

I'm not spoiling anyone. I am providing you and anyone else that cared to read with helpful tips on how to increase your chances of joining the industry as a designer. The more tools in your design toolbox, the more design jobs you'll be prepared for. It is as simple as that. Any jobs that involve a lead or creative director will have the very important requirement of many "x years of experience as lead designer, with x number of shipped titles," which you won't meet, obviously.

Posted by JackWriter

Ok Maian you have a point about my comas and periods.And thank you for saying a bad comment about my second story.Like I said, I was rushing and I didn't notice my mistakes.If you like you can give me a few suggestions of my Gun Hunter plot alone.I wanted it to be like a secret agent game where the player must do things quickly without being noticed.I have a friend named Cody who found the story interesting and he liked it.I asked him if he found it embrassing and you know what he said? No.He just suggested me to leave gaps which I did.And what about you...you just give me a passage and criticize it without reading the whole story.Do you have any idea how long it took me to think of a story like that? Of course not.I know how to speak english and the point that I'm trying to say to you is that you don't have to do programming but rather improve your creative skills.Got it? Good.
@Coromoro I have improved my grammar and if you still find something wrong with it,let me know.And PHULEASE! does it sound like a bugs bunny cartoon to you? I just made a little humour that's all.Nothing else is funny other than the ones I wrote seriously.

Posted by JackWriter

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my communication?

Posted by Omni

Quoting JackWriter: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my communication?

You're bad at typing coherent statements. Work on that.

Posted by JackWriter

Okay I think I had enough of this unnecessary chat about programming.Let's all just forget about it and Omni thanx for saying that.Now for those who want to write their video game stories,please post it here so that we all can understand ourselves.Now will anyone just tell me how my story Gun Hunter and D.N are because I put a lot of effort.And please let me know if I had made grammar mistakes because like I said I wrote it fast due to excitement.

Posted by coromoro

Quoting JackWriter: @Coromoro I have improved my grammar and if you still find something wrong with it,let me know.And PHULEASE! does it sound like a bugs bunny cartoon to you? I just made a little humour that's all.Nothing else is funny other than the ones I wrote seriously.

Yeah, you made a few changes, but it's still terribly written! I already let you know in my last post.

I'll use this tiny excerpt as an example.

[quote=JackWriter]Two agents namely Max and Alec chase Vanderick by riding a car.
“Keep driving Alec we almost got him”said Max FeuJack.

“Not this time you two” said Vanderick.Vanderick locks from
behind and shoots one of their tyres then turns right and laughs.

I'm no writer, but I'll tell you from a reader's perspective why this is badly written.

[color=white]"Two agents namely Max and Alec chase Vanderick by riding a car."

OK, two agents. Who are these agents? What is their mission? What are they doing and why? Who the heck is Vanderick? If you intend to leave these details out of the story for now for a particular reason, then at least you could provide some description of the characters, of the setting, etc. Where are they? I don't even know. Is Vanderick in a car as well? You're leaving us to assume way too much.

“Keep driving Alec we almost got him”said Max FeuJack.

Sorry to be so blunt, but this just sounds stupid to me. Why would you tell someone to keep driving if you're chasing someone? You're obviously going to keep driving. I guess it'd be more appropriate if you'd tell them to go faster or something.

“Not this time you two” said Vanderick.Vanderick locks from behind and shoots one of their tyres then turns right and laughs.

Looks from behind? That doesn't make sense. Is he looking out the window of his car, maybe? I think with something such as a video game script (or writing in general, really) you have to be specific and descriptive. What's he shooting them with? For all I know, he's got a bow and arrow. Besides, how the heck is he driving and shooting at the same time? I guess it's OK if you're not going for a realistic game. This is what I meant when I said it sounded like a Bugs Bunny cartoon. That, and your so called humour. Humour is perfectly fine in a game when it's actually funny and appropriate, but not when it just sounds childish.

There, I focused on the writing part of it. As for the grammar, you seem to be lacking in punctuation and spelling. 'Tyre' should be 'tire'. 'Locks' should be 'looks'. "Two agents, namely Max and Alec, chase..." "Keep driving, Alec. We almost got him."

That's as far as I will go in pointing out these mistakes. This was only a small excerpt. These types of errors can be found everywhere in your stories.

Edit: And of course, as maian said, PUT SPACES AFTER COMMAS AND PERIODS! You're still not doing it, man. It's very noticeable and looks completely unprofessional. Spaces are put there for a reason.[/color]

Posted by JackWriter

[QUOTE=coromoro;954193][b]Yeah, you made a few changes, but it's still terribly written! I already let you know in my last post.

I'll use this tiny excerpt as an example.

I'm no writer, but I'll tell you from a reader's perspective why this is badly written.

[color=white]"Two agents namely Max and Alec chase Vanderick by riding a car."

OK, two agents. Who are these agents? What is their mission? What are they doing and why? Who the heck is Vanderick? If you intend to leave these details out of the story for now for a particular reason, then at least you could provide some description of the characters, of the setting, etc. Where are they? I don't even know. Is Vanderick in a car as well? You're leaving us to assume way too much.

[color=white]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

programming ****ing owns and you should learn how to do it

Quoting JackWriter: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my communication?

You're on VGChat.
/thread

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

your webcomic is really bad

Hmph. Better than yours.

Posted by JackWriter

Anyone likes my stories?

Everyone like your stories.

Posted by JackWriter

Really? How come? Did you like my Gun Hunter story?

*facepencil*

Posted by JackWriter

Um..What do you mean by that?

In your post, you used the wrong form of the verb "like." In my post, I also used the wrong form of the verb "like." It was a subtle jab.

You should probably keep your stories under wraps until you actually make your games, though. Context is everything, and any outright silly impossibilities and contrivances can be forgiven if they're wrapped around a kick-ass game.

Finish school and in the process gather together a mighty band of like-minded individuals who don't mind living in a crappy apartment feasting on ramen noodles for a few years, and you might pull together a studio worthy of making iPhone or Flash games or something. Keep in mind that this is incredibly difficult to do and banks on a collective force of anti-social tendencies powerful enough to level a small town.

Otherwise, yeah. Start at the bottom of a real company and work your way up.

Posted by JackWriter

U mean my stories are...lame? I mean I put a lot of effort in those stories.But you're right,I think I outta finish my school and then join a company.But honestly you really found it lame? Can you at least tell me how was the D.N concept?
If it is the game play, I can change that cuz I knew it wouldn't sound good.I just
though that if members can write interesting stories here, I can find the friend I'm looking for. Not only that but also because I already had these concepts in mind and just to make sure I don't get fired just because of some mistake, I am posting my stories here so that if I get a good comment, I can be sure that it will sell well.I know its never gonna come true, but someday I wish to be one of the greatest game designers like the ones we admire a lot.But *sigh* you guys are right.I'm a loser.

Posted by GameMiestro

If you cared that much about becoming a developer you would download Adobe Flash, learn Actionscript, build media for the game on Photoshop and Fruity Loops, code it all together in a couple of months and publish it on Newgrounds. It's certainly possible and if you're still in school you can buy these programs for dirt cheap. If you're really adventurous, try learning Papervision3D and get some experience with 3D Flash modelling- that is the future of interactive web content and will certainly add appeal to your game.

As for your writing... quite a few famous independent game designers have the spelling capacity of a 4'th grader, so I think you'll do just fine. The challenge is finding the willpower to take a good idea and put it into action regardless of what other people think. If you decide to take that step it will be a more valuable and rewarding experience than anything you'll be forced to deal with in high school. In the end, it has to be your decision to make.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Jack. Like I said: You're on VGChat. A more wretched hive of scum and villainy you won't find this side of the 1up.com boards.

Truth be told, I didn't read a word of your stories, so I'm certainly not saying they're lame. I'm just saying do something with them instead of just posting them around the net. That's why I've got my comic that I wrote that I'm gradually going to build into something considerably more awesome than it is at the moment, I hope.

Posted by Luvis7714

O.K., not to be too horribly mean but, COME ON! I'm a freshman in highschool and I have better grammer skills than you!

Otherwise, like someone before me said, it would be better to get at least some programing in.

I am, at the moment, creating a RPG but I don't want to become a videogame designer, though I am keeping that option open. Who knows? I may not be the actor I want to be, I think you should keep that in mind as well.

For the games... I would do some name changing, honestly. Be more original, please.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Luvis7714;955212]I'm a freshman in highschool and I have better grammer skills than you!aaaaaahahahahahahaha please tell me this is an ironic post

grammor and speeling is two sperate thing.

Posted by Luvis7714

How is it ironic?

Posted by cool gamer dad

I had a video ga,e idea once ok hear me out:

it was bout these toys that got out and escaped. but they'd have to fight enemy toy on the way but eventually a boss (usually contruction laborer) woiuld have to become defeated in order to proceed. the final boss being the day you're put into eternal slumber (time capsule). a story in whicch defeat may not offer just an end, but a future

I think I saw that movie.