Dragon Age

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

Who's played it and what do you think? I'd rather get it for PC but I don't think my laptop will handle if very well. Is it similar to Baldur's Gate (PC)?

Posted by Omni

I'm going to get it soon. I'll let you know how it is if you don't have it before me.

Posted by Omni

Okay, I have it now and it's pretty fun thus far. I'm not too far in, but I like the atmosphere of the game because it reminds me of old school RPGs and dungeon crawlers although the gameplay is definitely an upgrade from the majority of those.

If you buy it soon, you can get some free DLC, at least on the PS3 version. I don't know what's included on the 360 one.

The character that I'll be playing is a human rogue, though I plan to level up into an assassin later on.

Posted by maian

I'm on the fence about buying this game. What I really want to know about is the combat, particularly for the console versions. I'm really interested in the idea of playing a giant, expansive traditional setting WRPG, but I've heard the combat is extremely tactical, and I'm not too sure if I'm going to want that. Can anyone fill me in?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

I too am interested in this game, but I've always hated Bioware games. Does this game feature actual action-RPG combat (i.e. you push a button, and your character immediately swings his/her weapon), or is it still KoTOR-style where you set everything up ahead of time and then kind of watch the battles?

Posted by onseroll

This site was around sense 2002

Posted by Shin-Ra

I haven't played it, but two of my friends have it and love it. The characters look really jumpy and rough during dialogue, the graphics look sub-par and the battles look lame. I probably won't ever play this game, but I could see liking it if you dig Baldur's Gate. Plus, there's apparently gay elf sex to be had, so there's that I guess.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

pc baldur's gate or ps2 baldur's gate? is there a demo for 360?

Posted by maian

I have it, and I'm liking it, despite the pretty shitty graphics. I haven't played any of the Baldur's Gate's or any of Bioware's older games so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I'm not too far in, but I'm enjoying it so far for what it's worth.

also as a bonus my character looks exactly like nathan drake. to a tee. exactly.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

it actually doesn't look too bad on the computer. It seems like one of those games that can suck you in if you give it a chance. Too preoccupied with other games, but the gf seems to enjoy it. Didn't feel like getting it for the xbox, looked cruddy as hell :-x

Posted by maian

Well, I'm loving this game. After I let myself get sucked into it, it's fairly addicting. Mind you, I decided to go the easy route and choose a warrior on standard difficulty so I'm just hack n' slashing everything, but that's the way I want it. And that's one of my favorite things about this game; it's as deep and complex as you make it. If I have the desire to dabble into the vast array of items and skills at my disposal, I will. If I have the desire to up my difficulty and get all tactical and strategic, I can. One of my favorite things is the campsite, which is basically just party bonding time/a place to shop. I've been having fun with my relationships to fellow party members.

As of right now, I've ****ed off Allistair for making a certain decision in Castle Redcliffe, and I'm developing a romantic relationship with Morrigan. :-* And then there's the giant Qunari guy who I saved from the cage. I'd like to find a different party member, since it seems I've used up all my conversation options with him and none seem to reappear. But, he's also a giant badass who wields an epic manhammer.

Hahaha. I haven't touched the game yet, and even I know that it's easier than Hell to piss off Allistair and get freaky with Morrigan. You must be taking the easy route.

Posted by Omni

I haven't played it as much as I want, but I still really like the fact that I was able to make my female rogue have sex with the elven girl in the background chapter and incite multiple characters in that chapter to comment on my interest in her. I need to explore other things in the game more deeply to find similar moments that will amuse me.

I actually don't like Morrigan at all, which makes me an atypical fan of this game. I think she looks and acts like a huge bitch and she has a bitchy voice to match. I seem to recall her approval rating for me going down when I told some guy to stop being a faggot and sell things at a fair price, meanwhile it benefits my party personally in addition to NPC's being able to afford his stuff, because she felt we were in a time where survival of the fittest was a valid lifestyle. I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that my party was the fittest in that situation and that she's just an idiot who has to be the biggest bitch ever.

Sten doesn't like talking at all, but you can get some huge positive approval ratings from him if you tell him that he can stay with your party when he says that he can't return to his people and mostly respect the fact that he doesn't like telling people anything.

Also, I'm playing it on PS3, which I've heard has way better looking graphics than the 360 version, although the frame rate can apparently suffer. I haven't witnessed it yet, but I bet that it will happen once I get to some extremely huge fights.

Posted by maian

Quoting Omni: I haven't played it as much as I want, but I still really like the fact that I was able to make my female rogue have sex with the elven girl in the background chapter and incite multiple characters in that chapter to comment on my interest in her. I need to explore other things in the game more deeply to find similar moments that will amuse me.

I actually don't like Morrigan at all, which makes me an atypical fan of this game. I think she looks and acts like a huge bitch and she has a bitchy voice to match. I seem to recall her approval rating for me going down when I told some guy to stop being a faggot and sell things at a fair price, meanwhile it benefits my party personally in addition to NPC's being able to afford his stuff, because she felt we were in a time where survival of the fittest was a valid lifestyle. I hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that my party was the fittest in that situation and that she's just an idiot who has to be the biggest bitch ever.

Sten doesn't like talking at all, but you can get some huge positive approval ratings from him if you tell him that he can stay with your party when he says that he can't return to his people and mostly respect the fact that he doesn't like telling people anything.

Also, I'm playing it on PS3, which I've heard has way better looking graphics than the 360 version, although the frame rate can apparently suffer. I haven't witnessed it yet, but I bet that it will happen once I get to some extremely huge fights.

Haha, Morrigan's approval rating for me is basically 100% now. We slept together. Morrigan's easy, because basically the only thing you have to do to gain her approval is to agree with her on just about everything she says. :cookie: However, I can't say I disagree with you about her character being a huge bitch and someone I would never ever want to date. But, I still thought it'd be fun to stir up a romantic relationship. :-* And even though she's not someone I would enjoy being with in real life, she is one of my favorite characters. She has a really defined personality, and I thoroughly enjoy hearing many of her various comments.

And yeah, Sten. I made it a goal to make him like me, and finally, I have succeeded. Ironically, he's the only other character that likes me as much as Morrigan. He's at 96% or so. For a long time, I had no conversation options with him, but some more finally opened up after finishing Haven, where he challenged my leadership and we fought. The thing I love about this game is that these characters really do have true personalities and you do have to actually know them to get them to like you more, and Sten is a great example of this. He is all about honor and respect, but agreeing with him about everything isn't going to get you anywhere. Often times, you have to disagree with his points and offer more stimulating conversation to gain his approval. Though, like you said Omni, one thing that makes him a lot easier is that if you DO say something he approves of, you get ridiculous approval ratings.

And yeah, I'm playing it on PS3 too. It arguably has the worst graphics of any games I own from this gen, but I don't really care at all. It has so much to offer, that the graphics are hardly my concern. It's nice to know that PS3 (apparently) has better graphics though. I mean, some things do just look awful. The log stacks that you see occasionally, for example? Those textures look ripped from an N64. But, eh, who cares. As for the framerate, I haven't experienced anything noticeable either, and I've gotten into some pretty big battles. It's a little choppy when you pan the camera around and stuff, but it's so minor that only giant faggots should care about it. :o

Posted by Stalolin

my friend has this game

he doesn't give two ****s about the story or his character

he's just gotta tap all that *** and get as many make out scenes as he can

I thought that was the objective of the game. The back of the preview box I saw said "Sleep with over 100 different characters and almost see their boobs...There may also be battles in this game."

Posted by maian

which is interesting, since there's only four people in the game you can sleep with, two of which who are, indeed, males :cookie:

Posted by freemanishere

I love this game, it is really deep and you kind of have to micromanage your battles which is something I'm adjusting to but then again I'm playing as a Mage. Its a really fun game and I have it on the PC and the graphics are pretty good, I've played it on the PS 3 and it looks worse and plays slower but its still a great game and definitely worth purchasing.