Google Chrome

Posted by Fate

I'm abandoning Firefox for this browser. Firefox kept crashing and eating up my memory like crazy. Since I used minimal add-ons the jump was easy. Anyone else use it?

Posted by Sapphire Rose

I alternate between it and Opera. Depends on which one the cursor is closest to.

Posted by fnool

if firefox is churning your ram to quite that extent then you're doing something wrong.

Posted by Panic!

I used Chrome for a little while. Same with Opera. I ended up going back to Firefox, though.

Posted by Fate

I've made observations on RAM usage on Firefox for some time now on various computers with different specs, each using the application for different periods of time. Firefox is not efficient... Look it up. It eats memory.

Google Chrome is using about a sixth of what Firefox uses.

Posted by Stalolin

most people should have enough ram to run firefox regardless

if you're stuck back at 1 gig of ram, you really need to get with the times

Posted by maian

I use Chrome, and I like it. A lot. I don't know what it is though, it's a process hog sometimes. Mind you, I do have an old crappy hand me down laptop, but still. Sometimes Chrome will be running THREE giant processes with only one window/tab open. Actually, yeah. Right now, I'm running one window, with Facebook and VGC tabs. My processes are:

Chrome.exe 58,660K
Chrome.exe 14,680K
Chrome.exe 64,220K

My computer is running really smoothly despite this, but what the balls? I'm considering switching back to another browser. Though I really love Chrome's interface.

Posted by fnool

chrome is interestingly threaded. each tab is its own process.

for the layperson, this means that if one tab ****s the bed, your entire browsing session won't crash.

Posted by Fate

I swear if I leave Firefox running overnight for any reason it jumps up to 250,000+. I powered on my computer a few times and it started at 175,000. I'm a minimalist, so I don't have anything crazy running on Firefox.

I have enough RAM for it, but I use many other processes at the same time. An internet browser has no business running over 250,000.

Posted by Stalolin

close firefox

don't keep high memory programs open

it leaves more room for them to **** up

Posted by coromoro

I use Safari and I honestly love it. :o

Posted by Slade

I use Safari, too. I wish I had hispeed internet so I could take advantage of that sweet feature that snapshots sites for you. Mine's actually been freezing up over the last week and I'm not sure why. At least it's super easy to force quit without messing anything else up. I'll probably check out Chrome once they have a decent version for OSX, since I only rarely use the internet in XP.

Posted by coromoro

Slade... You sorta completed what I forgot to say in my post there. I am also waiting for Chrome to port over to OS X to try it out. :o

PARTY TIME. It lives.

Posted by Fate

hey stalolin thanks for reading everything else i said prior to that post you are a genius

Seriously though, I'm not computer stupid.

Posted by Stalolin

okay thanks

Posted by fnool

safari sucks

...under windows.

Posted by Tyler Durden

GC lasted all of an hour before I grew tired of it. It sucked, the end.. *uninstall*

Safari does suck.. almost like a nutscrape clone..