Do you ever cook??!!!

Posted by Jesse Smith

Today I used da stove for da first time...this century!!!!! :eek: I made hard boiled eggs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8qLshzQ05A

Posted by Panic!

I cook rarely and only simple things. Grilled cheese, ramen, Spaghetti-O's, etc.

Posted by Omni

I'm not bad at it, but I rarely have the patience to make anything that isn't simple.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I cook. It's not all kd around here.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I am capable of heating up things on the stove, oven, toaster and microwave. Big accomplishment, I know. Other than simply heating up premade food, I love cooking steak, burgers and chicken on a grill - because I'm from Texas and that's just what we do, all Hank Hill style and such.

Once I get my own place (less than a month now, yeeeeah), I'll be cooking for myself far more than I will be simply heating up stuff, that's for sure. I'm actually extremely excited about this.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Shin-Ra: I am capable of heating up things on the stove, oven, toaster and microwave. Big accomplishment, I know. Other than simply heating up premade food, I love cooking steak, burgers and chicken on a grill - because I'm from Texas and that's just what we do, all Hank Hill style and such.

**** nigga that's wild son.

I can make a mean bacon cheeseburger. Take the ground beef and put some seasoning on that ***** and throw it on the frying pan. While that cooks, throw a whole bunch of bacon in the frying pan as well. AS the bacon cooks and gets rid of it's fat the burger absorbs that taste. Also good if you add an egg in there, sunnyside up or whatever.

I also love packaged rice. The one that cooks in 10 minutes.

but besides this, i rarely cook, mostly order takeout. Chicken Wings with applesticks 8-)

Posted by Fate

I can cook okay. I don't burn stuff and a lot of the time it comes out tasty, surprisingly.

Posted by Stalolin

cooking is a hell of a lot more simple than i used to think it was

If I really want something made properly, I'll end up cooking it. I really don't want to have people make my food all the time, or I'll end up with no cooking skills.

Posted by Slade

I throw together simple mixtures of meats, veggies, and a little seasoning for to eat on tortillas or with rice a few times a week. And if I have time in the morning making breakfast can be lots of fun. Chili and casseroles are easy and taste good, plus you can make enough to eat for a few days. I'd like to level up my "huge pan o' stirfry" skills because I <3 that stuff, and I want to get better at soup-making since it's winter. My mom makes these great beef n' barley (or wild rice) soups and I've never gotten all the ingredients together to make those. Oh, and baking is fun but it takes way too long unless I'm socializing during the process and making something for friends.

haha, keeping that "for to eat" typo. man I'm tired

Posted by Ant

chili and casseroles? I am intrigued by this. Tell me more about them.

and I can cook most basic meals if I have some sort of guide about how to make them. though at most it's stir fry rice, noodles, annnnnnnd that's it :/ GRILLED CHEESE TOMORROW.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Ant: chili and casseroles? I am intrigued by this. Tell me more about them.

ez chili
-brown a package of hamburger/turkey burger, drain grease if desired
-add to big pot: two cans whole tomatoes, two cans kidney beans, two chili seasoning packets, anything else you want to eat in chili (pickled peppers are great)
-heat it up, let it simmer longer if you used any fresh ingredients
it makes enough to have bad gas for several days, and it's good with rice or tortillas or both!

I don't have much experience with casseroles yet, but one time I threw together cream of mushroom soup, a bunch of frozen veggies, some browned hamburger and layered tater tots on top. Cooked it at 350 for about 20 minutes until the liquid was bubbling up at the edges of the glass casserole dish. It tasted fine, but the consistency wasn't thick enough. I could totally google this but does anyone know off the top of their head a good way to make casseroles thick and tasty?

Posted by fnool

no i live with my parents who cook all my food for me.

i also walk home from school every day and drop off my belongings in my suburban domicile, later venturing into town to hang out at the mall with my similarly doted-upon friends to discuss grown men wearing kevlar cupping one another's balls under the pretense of playing a "contact sport". we also pilfer cans of awful lager from our fathers' unnecessarily-large fridges and surreptitiously hide out drinking them in our ludicrously capacious basements, proclaiming how unbelievably wasted we are with each dainty sip. then i write on my myspace about how difficult my life is and how i wish i had more personal freedoms.

Posted by fnool

yeah no but in all seriousness the only thing i can muster that doesn't turn out a culinary abortion is the greatest bacon sandwich this world has ever seen

Quoting Slade: ez chili
-brown a package of hamburger/turkey burger, drain grease if desired
-add to big pot: two cans whole tomatoes, two cans kidney beans, two chili seasoning packets, anything else you want to eat in chili (pickled peppers are great)
-heat it up, let it simmer longer if you used any fresh ingredients
it makes enough to have bad gas for several days, and it's good with rice or tortillas or both!

I don't have much experience with casseroles yet, but one time I threw together cream of mushroom soup, a bunch of frozen veggies, some browned hamburger and layered tater tots on top. Cooked it at 350 for about 20 minutes until the liquid was bubbling up at the edges of the glass casserole dish. It tasted fine, but the consistency wasn't thick enough. I could totally google this but does anyone know off the top of their head a good way to make casseroles thick and tasty?

Maybe add rice or pasta in the dish, it won't be as runny then.

Posted by Slade

That's a good idea! Basically all you can do to reduce runny-ness is add starchy things or the main ingredients of starchy things, right? I ran into the same problem in my only (so far) attempt at curry. I guess in the case of the tater tot casserole I made, the frozen veggies probably added tons of water. IT WASN'T MY IDEA, but it got rid of the veggies and didn't taste too bad.

Posted by coromoro

I cook lots. :cool: I like makin' em meats on the grill.
Steaks, Cheeseburgers, Chicken.
Though I gotta agree throwin' some veggies on the girll ain't bad either.
Portobello Mushrooms, Asparagus, Potatoes, Corn. Anything pretty much.

SLADE! The other day I made the most delicious Mac-N-Cheese and I thought maybe you'd like it because it nearly qualifies as a casserole. It's delicious because it contains gorgonzola and gruyere cheese, and a bit of chile for that little KICK. ;) It's a fantastic recipe. :o

[url=http://cookingquest.wordpress.com/2008/11/13/perfect-mac-n-cheese/]Here's the recipe[/url]. In case you want to try it out. :dunno:

Posted by coromoro

Oh, and Slade, for the casserole, I think you should make a sauce yourself. The cream of mushroom soup as a sauce isn't thick enough, and I'm thinking maybe the frozen veggies have too much water. I think fresh veggies will give you better resultes! :o

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Panic!;951775]I cook rarely and only simple things. Grilled cheese, ramen, Spaghetti-O's, etc.

And you wonder why you can't lose weight, slugger..

Posted by Tyler Durden

I like to allow my (hamburger/turkey alternative or tuna) meat to settle in Guinness (or any amber alternative of choice, I just like Guinness for its dark 'bite') for a few hours (4-5 tops in the fridge) before cooking, then bread it litely and mingle in some chopped green peppers and diced onions and grill that way. Usually poked evenly with a fork to allow even cooking over the flames (and for pockets of flavor) Then slam it between a kaiser bun which I toast to a nice golden color in the oven (350 for no more than 5-10 minutes), and the optional spinach leaves (I hate lettuce) and tomatoes, and then topped white American (not a very strong flavor, basically just use it for sandwich glue). No mustard or ketchup necessary, flavor's in the beef *****!

Coro.. Slade, I'm gonna have to try your stuff sometime!
I used to be a short order cook for a family restaurant.

Edit: Also, grilled tomatoes are the ****! However, tricky as hell.

I think my favourite thing to make is soup from scratch (well, besides the stock, hello bouillon cubes). The other night I made creamy pumpkin and potato soup and it was delicious.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Speaking of bouillon cubes, anyone ever save the flavor packets from their Ramen (say you used the noodles for other things)?

I once used the chicken flavor to enhance the flavor of some Bourbon battered chicken I made.
Clean meat to the best of your ability (or use pre-cleaned, boneless if you're really lazy), lay in a glass bake pan with Bourbon and tomatoes and evenly (and lightly, don't abuse the bird unless you really like that McDonalds' texture) pound with tenderizer mallet and work over with hands and roll so that chicken "soaks" up some of the flavoring from the Bourbon and tomatoes. Just "low bake" for an hour in the same bath of bourbon and diced tomatoes with the seasoning, then slap on the grill and lightly spatter the pan dressing over as you cook.

Purely just trying out chicken skills (I hardly get a chance to cook chicken, but when I do I usually hit it off), and it worked as I cooked this for a party of friends. And they all approved.

Posted by radical

All the time!

Posted by cool gamer dad

my favorite thing to make is stirfry. lazy as hell, healthy, and tasty. lots of leftovers too.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Hell yeah dude, stir-fry burritos!!

I love making leftover changeups, depending on the contents of stirfry- add in a little bacon and some scrambled egg for a really unique breakfast. Beats cold pizza!

nothing beats pizza. could eat it everyday

Posted by Tyler Durden

Word!

Hot or cold, pizza is pizza and goes just the same. I like to eat cold pizza, dipped in a bowl of warm creamy tomato soup with chives and onions.

Posted by Foppy D

I am such an excellent cook I should have a faux-hawk.

(SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU GET IT!!!!)

Posted by Foppy D

Quoting Tyler Durden: Word!

Hot or cold, pizza is pizza and goes just the same. I like to eat cold pizza, dipped in a bowl of warm creamy tomato soup with chives and onions.

the best is pizza hut's pan pizza, reheated in the oven the next day on a cookie sheet. Crispy, really good especially if they put a lot of cheese on it.

Posted by Foppy D

Quoting Tyler Durden: Speaking of bouillon cubes, anyone ever save the flavor packets from their Ramen (say you used the noodles for other things)?

that's my dad's secret ingredient in his chicken and dumplings

Posted by Tyler Durden

[quote=Foppy D;952988]I am such an excellent cook I should have a faux-hawk.

(SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU GET IT!!!!)

I get it kinda, not sure why, but I think I kinda get it..

Posted by Lord of Spam

for six months almost everything i ate i grilled or smoked myself. im **** good with a grill, and can come up with a way to cook **** near anything on there. once i get out of barracks and get a decent place of my own i plan on welding together a grill of my own design and cooking pretty much everything for myself.

aside from grilling, i can cook pretty well from instructions, but i prefer to make up my own ****. sadly, i dont have much experiance with indoor cooking, so im not that great at it.