Bet you're happy, Speedfreak...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176338

Or was it someone else on here who was always crying out for a new game in this series?

Posted by Speedfreak

This looks absolutely terrible.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

rocket knight more like rocket sh[COLOR=Silver]it[/COLOR]e

Posted by Stalolin

nothing can please speedfreak

however i am not speedfreak so i am extremely pleased

i don't care if it doesn't look great as long as it plays like the old ones

Posted by Speedfreak

It will play like the crappy original rather than the awesometacular SNES game.

And the graphics and music have gone to hell.

And it's made by some random developer rather than any members of the original team.

Posted by Stalolin

man you can't give this guy anything

No, no. His points are valid. They are similar to the things that made Chrono Cross a mutant pile of stanky Suck.

Posted by coromoro

What was so bad about Chrono Cross anyway?

Its development team consisted of almost none of the staff who worked on Chrono Trigger. Its characters weren't even designed by Akira Toriyama as CT's were.

The battle system was set up in such a way as to force you to concentrate on the tiny menu in the lower lefthand corner of the screen so you don't miss your chance for a combo or super attack. This left absolutely no time to actually see what your characters were doing after you selected an option, because the menu was already cycling on to the next turn which you needed to focus on, making it very unsatisfying. It is the worst video game ever, and anyone who says they liked it is lying.

Posted by Stalolin

i liked it

played it a few times actually

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Stalolin: i liked it

played it a few times actually

Me too. It's actually one of my favorite games ever. I played through it more than once, which I can't do with any other RPG after beating it.

Posted by Slade

Looking at this whole thing without having been really into any Chrono games, I have to say it seems like Chrono Cross is much more enjoyable when one isn't thinking about Chrono Trigger at all. I own it myself and I'm really looking forward to playing it, and I know I'll be approaching it as it's own game. Like a stand-alone within a universe, or like a game within a series that I play singularly. WILD ARMS 4! That phrase means nothing to me because I've played none of the games, but to someone who was emotionally involved when the original Wild Arms was released it might mean something monumental or devastating.

Lies. All lies.

Posted by WillisGreeny

...mussst....resissst.....GgggRrrrrrr F#)$ it!!! Trigger is magical while Cross is a stand-alone posing as a Chrono game. The biggest annoyance Trigger fans have with Cross, besides the plot differences being abundant, is the experience being totally different. Cross is a pretty good game, no doubt, but ****, Chrono Trigger was ****ing awesome. Trigger's goods consisted of: Character design (especially how one char related to another, instead of 20 arc types coming together), flow of the story from area to area, how areas interlinked through time, diverse dungeons, not over-the-top strategic battling (like flame against hammer, ele against dinos):

The overall atmospheres of both games didn't even match. The atmosphere of Chrono Trigger was adventurous with a hint of drama while Cross's "must cheat death" early element made its atmosphere more a drama with a hint of adventur just from basic timing of events. Don't get me wrong, I like both game's atmospheres but WTF HAPPEN TO THE ORIGINAL SOURCE MATERIAL'S TIMING!?!?! and yes, I ****ing yelled that out loud. It's not a nastalgic effect if both games hardly shared anything in common. Cross had as much to do with Trigger as the prequal Starwars movies did to the originals, though I'd say Cross probably did a better job. It's all too clear that the people who made Cross weren't interested in advancing the Trigger formula (if they even knew it) but wanted to make an RPG that was theirs, which I'm all for, but let's not paint potatoes red and call them apples and expect the apple lovers not to notice.

...After typing all this, I'll now read the first post....

Posted by Speedfreak

Fuck you for not even having the decency to revive a franchise with one of your own teams, Konami. This is why Capcom is, has always been and will always be better than you.

Bloody one-trick ponies, they are. Couldn't even get a Contra sequel right.

Castlevania Rebirth looks like it's shaping up nicely, at least.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Chrono Trigger sucks..

The end-

Posted by WillisGreeny

I was wrong about you... The Jedi council has failed

Posted by Tyler Durden

I'd say so, because I also hate Star Wars.

I don't buy into **** because I'm expected to like it.
The game was generally boring and uninteresting to me.

With most other games, I'd say everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Chrono Trigger, though? Failure to enjoy that game is just that: A Failure. One you should feel extremely bad about.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Actually Princess.. I don't feel bad at all. I experienced it, isn't that enough for you nerds to accept?

Posted by WillisGreeny

I ... I guess so :(

Posted by Tyler Durden

Fine Will, for you.. I'll play through it just ONE MORE TIME!

Actually own it from Chronicles.. paid $3. Only reason I have it.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Oh well now I know why you hated it. Play it on an emulator or on the DS, not on the Playstation. The loading times are terrible in chronicles.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Oh, I used to own it at one time for the SNES and finished it on an emulator. Cart RPGs and me don't get along.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Tyler Durden: Fine Will, for you.. I'll play through it just ONE MORE TIME!

Don't bother. People are smitten with CT because they played it when the game was new at the time, and they have fond memories of it. Unless you haven't played a game released in the last fourteen years, you'll find far more enjoyable RPGs these days. At best, it's a decent RPG. Try the latest Atlus RPGs like Persona 3, Persona 4, or any of the other Shin Megami Tensei titles (Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, etc.) It's a better use of your time than playing a relic you have no emotional attachment to.

Posted by WillisGreeny

That's harsh, speaking as though you know mine and other people's reasons for liking CT. I'll just make the claim people who don't like CT only like the latest Videogames available, and can't look past graphics. There! now we have both dissmissed each other's opinions.

On the other hand Tyler, if you do have the choice between persona 4 and CT, i'd go with persona. :cookie:

Posted by Tyler Durden

Poe-tay-toe.. tah-mah-tah..

Posted by Ant

Quoting Big Boss: Don't bother. People are smitten with CT because they played it when the game was new at the time, and they have fond memories of it. Unless you haven't played a game released in the last fourteen years, you'll find far more enjoyable RPGs these days. At best, it's a decent RPG. Try the latest Atlus RPGs like Persona 3, Persona 4, or any of the other Shin Megami Tensei titles (Digital Devil Saga, Devil Summoner, etc.) It's a better use of your time than playing a relic you have no emotional attachment to.

Having just played CT for the first time a couple months ago and having enjoyed it thoroughly, I'm going to have to disagree with you. There was a certain charm about the game that I really enjoyed. The story managed to be interesting, yet unlike newer games like the Persona's and whatnot it didn't become to convoluted. I never found myself getting bored with the gameplay mechanics, despite them being relatively simple. I think in my case, it wasn't that I liked it cause I played it when I was younger(cause I didn't), but more so it reminded me of a simpler time of RPG's. A much funner time, at that.

Posted by coromoro

Weird how some people don't like old games because they're old. I love old school gaming just as much as modern gaming. It's not nostalgia either, I just appreciate the simplistic design of old school gaming.

I played through Chrono Trigger for the first time recently as well, and I can say I probably appreciated just as much as the gamers that were playing it for the first time 15 years ago. I loved it, and having played games with prettier graphics and more complex gameplay and controls in the past isn't going to change that. :o

Tyler, if you don't normally become bored with old school games, I'd say give it another try. If you do... play something else.

Posted by Slade

I've blown almost $200 on Persona/SMT games in the last couple months to complete my essential collection, but I'd still be uncomfortable saying P3 and P4 are definitely better than CT. It is a much more simple and straight-forward game, but sometimes I want that much more than a game with tons of choices, variety, and planning. Even though I never played CT near when it was first released it's music/atmosphere is still awesome. That sleep-themed sky palace still makes me tired and excited at the same time in a way I don't know how to describe, and I'm not sure why. I guess the first parallel that comes to mind is how some P3 Tartarus music makes me wanna ****ing party. Anyways, I think CT is pretty alright, especially on the DS. Great game for a long trip. Until P3P comes out.

Posted by Tyler Durden

I love old games because they're old. It's the new games that get old quick that I generally don't like..

And will do Coro'.

When you stand before the Pearly Gates and St. Peter lists "Failure to enjoy Chrono Trigger" amongst the sins that will have you barred from Paradise, I'll try to restrain myself from saying "I told you so."

Posted by Tyler Durden

It's too bad I'm an Atheist and don't follow your sheep logic.

Add "Lacks sense of humor" to that list, too.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Oh Princess.. I'm sorry your vagina hurts because I dislike CT. It'll get better soon and clear up. Just use that topical creme.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Reason posted was deleted:: ok. you're done.

if only.

-Failure to enjoy Chrono Trigger
-Lacks sense of humor
-Abuse of 5th-grader insult techniques

Posted by Tyler Durden

Man Princess, you're really beginning to hurt meh feelings..

Wanna just shake on it and be friends? I mean, CT sucks tons but I won't dis it anymore if it bothers you THAT much..

Pfft. You don't have feelings.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Man, I've got more feelings in my penis than you've got in your entire psyche..

Think I'll take the road that says "Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics." and leave it at that.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Haha.. okay dude. Deals.