Beauty is..(Rough Draft)

Posted by Cats Everywhere

It's a little contest thing that I'm going for, the theme is 'beauty is' and I'm allowed to use any form of writing, drawing, etc. I WAS gonna do a short story about some cliche girl on the bus who keeps on looking in the mirror and tries to perfect herself with 6-7 layers of make up but soon realizes and learns a lesson that make up doesn't make her beautiful..then I thought that was just a stupid idea and threw it out the window and wrote an essay that was more in..my style?

Anyways, here's just a draft of it, yes it's short but it's to the point, I hate dragging stuff out.

--

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

Beauty has never been so honestly defined and I doubt it could ever be defined in a better way. Beauty depends on the individual, and many psychological and social impacts can have a remarkable influence on that individual such as culture, religion, background, and even economy!

The typical American Beauty is a size 0-3 model with a double D and has to be covered in make up, much like icing on a cake. But if you travel to Africa you will be shocked, skinny people are known as poor, and might be servants. But who would the skinny people serve? The larger woman. The African Beauty is a round woman, they are viewed as beautiful, wealthy, and healthy. This is much like in Ancient Europe, plump and ghostly pale would mean rich and royal. The opposite is beautiful in modern day in parts of the world, with all these fake tans and fad diets, the simple idea of being pale and large is unthinkable to the modeling industry today.

Another example of cultural beauty would be those in the Muslim religion. The women who cover their faces are seen to be practicing their religion and being faithful to it. The Muslim man will appreciate this and be attracted to the loyalty these women show.

The economy plays a major role determining someone's 'beauty.' Showing off wealthy may be cocky and annoying to some, but to others it may be attractive in a psychological way in which, 'if they can afford those designer clothes and $600 pair of flip-flops, then they'll be able to support me!' This unconscious way of thinking make that rich person attractive, shallow as it may be, it's still beautiful on the beholder's eyes.

What is my individual definition of beauty you ask? I am not physically attracted to either male or female, and I'm not psychologically attracted to females either. I am attracted by confidence and personality of the other sex. Confidence si a large factor for me, I know that if I were a male I would despise hearing, "Does this make me look fat?" constantly. Confidence may become cocky, but it's better than being whiney.

To put it bluntly, beauty has many different aspects and impacts, and it truly does depend on the eye of the beholder.

--

I'm gonna add something about personal backgrounds (i.e. raised in a racist family against blacks would decrease being attractive..common sense but hey.)