The Co-Op Chronicles: The Double Dragons

Posted by Gameolio

Original Post by Viperfish, Gameolio website

The exact circumstances are lost either to time or to the vacillating lucidity of my memory – thanks, high school – but one thing is for certain: the still as-yet unbroken gaming partnership between Dan and myself began with Technos’ 1987 arcade beat-em-up par excellence, Double Dragon.

I had heard much about the game well before I ever got to play it. Dan, by virtue of living in the well-furnished city of Sydney, had access to a more fruitful variety of arcade games than I could dream of growing up in the sparse and… Canberresque city of Canberra. We had Pole Position. We were glad for it. Luckily, Dan was all too happy to fill me in on what I was missing.

Legend told of two brothers named Billy and Jimmy Lee who took on a whole city and won. Stories were passed down about a game in which not only could you punch a guy recurrently in the face until he was doubled over in agony, but then for good measure grab him in a headlock, knee him twice to the chest and uppercut him so hard that he died. That you could also perform this particular coup de gr