Most Recent Concert

Posted by Shin-Ra

What concert have you most recently attended and what was your experience? Are there any that you're going to in the future?

I usually go to about one a month, so this will be update frequently by me at least. Omni had a thread like this in her blog, but I think this is better suited out on the main board. Since said thread hasn't been posted active in ages, this comes at no cost.

Saturday August 8th:
tl;dr - Explosions in the Sky, The Sword, Octopus Project
I went this past weekend to some Houston music festival. The humidity wasn't as bad as it normally is in coastal Texas, but man it was brutally hot. We showed up kinda late to avoid the heat, but missed some bands, including Los Skarnales (a mexican ska band) who I was really wanting to see. The festival itself was mostly a bunch of hipster bands which I had never heard of, but was willing to give a shot. However, Explosions in the Sky was headlining (this day at least) and The Sword was playing as well - and at $7 a ticket I couldn't pass up going. Ok, so the first band I saw was Octopus Project - an electronica band from Austin with a few post-rock moments - and really loved them. We were sitting super far away from the stage (since the festival was at a big open park) because that's where the trees were, but I could still hear them well. Next I saw The Sword, who even though I enjoy occassionally, I don't listen to hardly ever. They were good live and sound exactly like they do on their recordings. Next up was Broken Social Scene who I discovered I'm not interested in. It sounded like an average rock band with occassional horns, Coldplay moments, and a beat that people could get into. The hipsters there loved them though. Next was Explosions in the Sky, who I listen to sparingly because their songs are fairly similar. We moved up to right in front of the stage for these guys, which although crowded, was very much worth it. EitS were pretty great and their set felt like one long song because of the similarity of their tracks, which wasn't a bad thing. They were also extremely loud, which is what I was anticipating and hoping for, which really does add to the experience of music like this. Anyway, cool festival, extremely hot though.

Concerts I plan on going to: Mono in September and Arctic Monkeys in October.

Posted by Slade

Since I finally have a job and money, I've been sporadically going to shows (mostly in Portland). The most recent involved Castanets headlining with the Evolutionary Jass Band, Adam Gnade, and Ohioan at a place called WorkSound. Gnade played punky folk in that style where he drinks whiskey between songs and kind of wails these really sad ballads about "we're going home, johnny... and we ain't comin' back..." I think there would normally be noise effects backing him up, but the equipment wasn't working. Next was Ohioan, which overflowed the stage with about 8 members. They played some groovy arrangements ranging from rock to country-ish songs. I enjoyed the unique style of each member, especially when we were all dancing to the next band, The Evolutionary Jass Band. This one ruled. There were drums, bass, tenor sax, trumpet, violin, and guitar. The songs usually began as a really dance-able beat with funky bass and filled in until the tenor and trumpet players were both dancing around and improvising to each other. It was a total party since they were playing on the floor and the trumpet player often danced straight into the crowd to start chants or clapping. After a while a weird rock/noise duo started playing consisting of one guitar and a drum kit consisting of 3 toms (one of which had a contact mic taped inside, another had a tambourine sitting on it). Both guys did vocals, and both had an intense presence in their own way, since the guitarist looked like a drunk werewolf and the drummer was just standing in front of this tiny kit. Some parts were awkward, but they ended with a lot of screaming and noise that I appreciated. Finally Castanets played and it was definitely enjoyable, but I wasn't extremely impressed. The drummer was the guitarist from the noise duo, and he was almost too drunk to play. At their peak each song was sort of like post-rock mixed with country, and the four guitars filled the space with some really sweet sounds.

It was a fun night since my group ran into a bunch of weirdos they knew, and just about all the bands that played also joined the crowd in dancing to the next bands. One tenor player from Ohioan even played his sax during the Jass Band's set at their request.

Next it looks like I'm going to a show on Friday featuring Hornet Leg, Tunnels, AS/SS, and Chrome Wings. I don't know any of them, and from limited googling I got ****ed off at Hornet Leg and their friends for being so hipster-oriented. I'm excited for Tunnels, though, since my friends saw him last night when he performed a sexy dance behind a curtain with a glowing red whip. It seems like the show will mostly be punk and electronic music.

Posted by Phantasm

Last concert I went to was Rush.

Quite some time now since that concert. Those old guys sound extremely good live. and actually, I prefer their music live. They played guitar, bass and drum solos each one after another. All of which really impressive.

Next concert I will be attending to will be in September 4, I hope. Deadmau5 is going to be doing some mean mixes with his extremely soothing sounds that suddenly turn into this bestial dirty electro and go back to minimal sounds that make you feel euphoric. Basically I'm gonna be highly drugged that day. possibly getting some aids.

Posted by G-Sides

last concert was sonic youth in boise... fuuuun 8-)
next is probably converge/mastodon/high on fire/dethklok

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=G-Sides;948240]last concert was sonic youth in boise... fuuuun 8-)
next is probably converge/mastodon/high on fire/dethklok

when did sonic youth come to boise

Posted by G-Sides

july 23
and it was gooooood :cool:

Posted by Dexter

Filter Friday night and Black Eyed Peas last night. Filter won, although I did catch Fergies clumsily tossed hat and was the cause of mass jealousy.

Posted by Philsdad

I saw Jason Schimmel's new band Orange Tulip Conspiracy back in May. It's similar in a lot of ways to Estradasphere (which is to be expected) but it's nice to hear it distilled from the rest. I think Gar may have uploaded the album on here so check it out, and if you like it make sure you buy a real copy and see some shows. Jason said he'd probably be touring on a new record next year sometime.

The show was stellar..they opened with a few jazz pieces, then a little big band, some instrumental surf metal, some guitar jazz with Egyptian melodies, some traditional Klezmer, Italian film covers, death metal, and a lot more.. He even did a little cowpoke ballad! I have the entire show on DVD as well as the audio files if anyone wants to check it out..

Posted by Omni

If I PM you my address, will you mail me a DVD copy?

Posted by Philsdad

Sure thing. PM me your address and I'll send it out ASAP. I need to get some Youtube clips up as well sometime in the near future.

Posted by Slade

Quoting Philsdad: I need to get some Youtube clips up as well sometime in the near future.

Please do!

I haven't gone to any shows since the one I described in detail, but I believe a couple friends of mine are still planning on making a trip to LA to see Captain Ahab. It might be a little too far-fetched to come true, but it's definitely their dream.

Posted by fnool

wolves in the throne room (again) back in like february or something i cant remember. **** was pretty clutch. didnt play anything from black cascade tho. next is ulver hopefully although i might wind up going to a few little ska gigs or some **** down here in the interim

Posted by G-Sides

9/3
ozric tentacles :cool: :cool: :cool:

Posted by Slade

Quoting Shin-Ra: and what was your experience?

^^
make your posts suck less.

Posted by netman

i havent been to a concert in a while my last one was cryptopsy when lord worm was still signing but i dont even like cryptopsy so i got bored and left early

Posted by oxpecker123

my last concert was a punk rock concert,

I had to panhandle to get my ticket

the casualties were the headliners, one of the opening bands was this local band and I went to school with the bass player of that band.

the next band was mouth sewn shut, then krum bums then casualties

I was in the mosh pit and guys and girls were sweating. It felt and smelled like the place was a enourmous locker room. everybody was drenched in sweat.

Before I got in the show the bouncer wouldn't let me get in because I had a skateboard, I had to go to an aquaintance who was in one of the bands that played and ask him If I could stash my board in his car.

I also remember I saw a guy smoking weed in the crowd even though smoking weed wasn't allowed.

there was not a single fight durung the concert.

Posted by Phantasm

Saw Computer Club (Hard/Dirty electro DJ) last Saturday.

I haven't danced so much in a electro party. He started mixing at 2am and ended 4am, non-stop raving. Got to my friend's house at 5am.

Still quite tired since I haven't slept well these weeks. Thanks university.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I saw Mono earlier this week with some Houston post-rock band who opened. Mono was absolutely incredible and their performance ranks among the best I've seen from any band. The music was spot on and the sheer volume of the music was overwhelming. Unfortunatley there were a couple of drunk people who did some pretty lol worthy stuff. One was a girl who kept grabbing and desperately trying to hit on the guitar player who does most of the tremelo picking. She eventually got kicked out and spilled beer on his pedals, which was nice. The other person was some dude who clapped in excess of two minutes after every song, well into the next track. I disliked him but he redeemed himself by saying "man, you all are a bunch of hipsters" to which some of the hipsters said "hey, don't say that" to which drunky replied "since when is hipster a bad word? I guess it is if you're a fucking hipster". Brilliant. Oh and I hung out with someone I talked to a few times on last.fm. She was an exceptionally cool person and talking about music in between bands really helped pass the time. She's going to be at Russian Circles/ Red Sparowes when I see them, so that'll be fun as well.

Oh and most the songs Mono played were from Hymn to the Immortal Wind, which is my favorite album by them. Yesssss.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: I saw Mono earlier this week with some Houston post-rock band who opened. Mono was absolutely incredible and their performance ranks among the best I've seen from any band. The music was spot on and the sheer volume of the music was overwhelming. Unfortunatley there were a couple of drunk people who did some pretty lol worthy stuff. One was a girl who kept grabbing and desperately trying to hit on the guitar player who does most of the tremelo picking. She eventually got kicked out and spilled beer on his pedals, which was nice. The other person was some dude who clapped in excess of two minutes after every song, well into the next track. I disliked him but he redeemed himself by saying "man, you all are a bunch of hipsters" to which some of the hipsters said "hey, don't say that" to which drunky replied "since when is hipster a bad word? I guess it is if you're a fucking hipster". Brilliant. Oh and I hung out with someone I talked to a few times on last.fm. She was an exceptionally cool person and talking about music in between bands really helped pass the time. She's going to be at Russian Circles/ Red Sparowes when I see them, so that'll be fun as well.

Oh and most the songs Mono played were from Hymn to the Immortal Wind, which is my favorite album by them. Yesssss.

Nice! Love Mono, especially Hymn... just wondering, do they use overdubs live to make up for the lack of orchestra? I may be seeing them in December myself.

Posted by fnool

ulver.

Posted by fnool

[youtube=-SIGhjiRO2w]-SIGhjiRO2w[/youtube]

seriously best **** ever; becomes awe-worthy at like 4:00

also jesse your youtube code sucks

Posted by muffla

Maroon 5 came to our school last week, it sucked hard

Posted by Richaod

Tori Amos x 2. About damn time, too.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I saw Goatwhore who played at a local venue, which was pretty cool. I'm not a fan of them on cd, but they're super fun live, especially at a trashy dive bar. I congratulated Sammy on his work with Acid Bath and we talked about when he toured with Watain.

I saw Arctic Monkeys recently in Houston, and that was pretty fun. They slowed down some songs that I didn't want them to, and they played stuff of Humbug, which I really didn't like. It was a good show though. I had no idea they were so young.

Last weekend I saw Koffin Kats in Houston. Seriously, that was one of the better shows I've ever been to. The singer/bass player was standing on his stand up bass a lot, spinning it upside down while singing and doing all sorts of cool stuff. I also talked with them a bit after the show and they were all individually cool people.

Quoting Richaod: do they use overdubs live to make up for the lack of orchestra?

I don't remember. I saw the girl playing with a keyboard every now and then, so they very well could have done that on a couple of songs. Mostly it was just them with their standard instruments and millions of distortion pedals.