Controller Pak Info - on how many pages each game takes.

Posted by D.J Cat

Well, with the N64 there are games that use a controller memory card to save game data.
Sometimes they just add a bit extra and sometimes they are kind of required to get anything much out of the game.
This is the thread to post how many pages each games take up.
A standard memory card takes 123 pages.

If you aren't sure but know about how many put that in your post.
If you know exactly how much it takes then put that in too.

Ok here we go...in particular order....

International Superstar Soccer 64
Pages: 61
Required: No, but its a lot more fun with it, create a player and being able to do the International and World Cups is great fun.

International Superstar Soccer 98
Pages: 118
Required: Same as above, except you get a lot more players to make if you desire.

Mario Kart 64
Pages: About 120
Required: No. Just for saving ghost data in time trial.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Pages: 90
Required: Yes. There is no way you could beat the game in one sitting without using cheats.

Bomberman 64
Pages: 1 per each custom Bomberman
Required: No. It just lets you use the custom bombermans you can make in multiplayer. Fun, but yeah, not required.

Perfect Dark
Pages: About 28
Required: No. It gives you 4 single player files and 4 players for comvat simulator. Can come in handy if people borrow the game or If you have more than 4 people that play the game.

NBA Hangtine
Pages: About 7
Required: Sort off. You can still play it without a card but you can earn stats with your custom players and "power up" and it is more fun that way with the stats and leader boards and so on. It also seems to let you make quite a number of players for just 7 pages (at least 15 it seems).

Killer Instinct Gold
Pages: 3
Required: No. It just saves a copy of all your game data on the pak, which you can transfer to other copies of the games, or keep as a backup.

Toy Story 2
Pages: 12
Required: Yes.

WWF Warzone
Pages: 54
Required: Sort off. If you just want to have a bash in multiplayer (which is the best part) then you don't really need it.
A memory card lets you save single player progress and 12 custom wrestlers.

San Fransisco Rush
Pages: 16
Required: Not really. It saves a fair amount of stats for up to 4 players as well as fastest times.

Automobile Lamborgini (Or some queer name like that. Just call it Lambourgini...)
Pages: 7
Required: To get anything out of single player, and also to get the new cars (which are worth it) you need a card...

Rayman 2
Pages: 1 per file
Required: Yes.

Posted by loony636

Quoting D.J Cat: Mario Kart 64
Pages: About 120
Required: No. Just for saving ghost data in time trial.

Wow, that's a lot.

Posted by legov8

First off the game is called Automobili Lamborghini. Here's what it is for the games I have:
California Speed-35
Destruction Derby-4
Hot Wheels Turbo Racing-28
Micro Machines 64 Turbo-8 per file
Road Rash-1 per file
Stunt Racer-9
Vigilante 8-1
The card is required on all the games to save progress. However, Hot Wheels, Road Rash, and Vigilante 8 also have a pass code system on the so it's not really required unless you don't like keeping track of codes.

Posted by D.J Cat

Thanks for posting that info, man.

I have a few more to add to the list...

International Superstar Soccer 2000
Pages: 121
Required: The same as the other ISS games, its better with the memory card. This alows you to save 110 custom characters (!) and makes the enjoyable career mode much better, so you don't have to play it all in one go.

The World Is Not Enough
Pages: 2 per file
Required: For single-player, yes.

Mystical Ninja: Starring Goeman (might have anothe rname in different countries...)
Pages: 16
Required: Yes, the single player mode is all there is and you need a card for it.

Blast Corps
Pages: 14 per extra file.
Required: Depends. If you will be the only one wanting a file on that copy of the game then a card isn't required. What it does is let you make a new file for every 14 pages.
For some reason it is more reliable to use the controller pak, because if you use just the game pak it doesn't alqays remember all the RDU's you have collected (useless piece of info #18542...)

Posted by legov8

Here's another one to add:
Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA-34
It is required in order to save game progress.

Posted by legov8

Here's another one to add:
Re-Volt-16
Re-Volt Custom Track-7 per track
It is required in order to save process and custom tracks.

Posted by Arczu

Diddy Kong Racing
Pages: *3x/121
Required: No. If you want to save your adventure(s) or game data to move it over to other game paks, then you copy it onto the controller pak, and then copy it onto a new game pak. If you want to save up to two (or was it four) ghosts in time trial, then it's 121, which makes this just 1 page more than Mario Kart's ghost data.

Guantlet Legends
Pages: 4x
Required: Yes. Each character you store on the pak contains their own progress and items. Whoever's progressed the furthest in the game will have their progress spread over the other players (In most cases, 1st player)

*Can't remember exact number

Posted by Prince Redon

Does anyone know what game takes the most pages and how many is it?

Posted by D.J Cat

Quoting Prince Redon: Does anyone know what game takes the most pages and how many is it?

By what we have so far I would say International Superstar Soccer 2000 with a big bugger of 121 pages.

Posted by Arczu

I'd say that's the most that could ever be taken. I really don't see the purpose of eating an ENTIRE memory pak for one game (except for the 2 games already mentioned of 121).

You either have a lot of entries taking some pages, or few entires taking lots of pages.

Posted by Tyler Durden

Nightmare Creatures
Pages: 2
Required: Yes, to progress in the game.

Flying Dragon
Pages: 47
Required: Yes, to progress in the game and keep track of items.

Win Back
Pages: 9
Required: Yes

Fighting Force 64
Pages: 1
Required: Yes and no. Yes to progress, system save, and keep track of highscore saves. But, you can beat this game in one sitting. Anyone can.

Turok - Dinosaur Hunter
Pages: 18
Required: If you plan on beating this game.

Hybrid Heaven
Pages: 53
Required: Yes, for game progress and multiplayer stats.

Castlevania
Required: Yes, to keep track of game progress.

Castlevania - Legacy of Darkness
Pages: 17
Required: Yes, to keep track of game progress. You have three other quests to run through, so yes.

Quest 64
Required: 2 pages per quest, only four quests allowed. To keep track of game progress.

WCW vs. NWO - World Tour
Pages: 3
Required: Yes, if you plan on defeating all alliances and keeping those secret characters for multiplayer.

WWF - No Mercy
Pages: 35
Required: No, only if you plan on keeping a backup of your current CAWs.

Ready2Rumble Boxing
Required: Yes/no, system save and game progress.

Nascar '99
Pages: 38
Required: Tracks game progress.

California Speed
Pages: 35
Required: Yes, game progress and system save.

Army Men - Sarge's Heroes
Required: Yes, to progress in the game, system save.

I'll check into more games [I own about a 1/3rd of the entire N64 library, as some games are paksave, others being cartsave].. Some of my memory paks didn't seem to work, so I've lost a few game saves because they're all pieces of sh!t no matter what brand you own evidently. I've had more Nintendo licensed paks fail before my third party brands..