Bands you want to get into, but can't

Posted by Richaod

Self-explanatory.

Pixies just have to be at the top. They were supposedly one of the biggest, most influential bands in alternative rock, yet not only can I not see that influence, I can't appreciate it either. Smells Like Teen Spirit was supposedly the ultimate Pixies ripoff, as admitted by Kurt Cobain, but I don't get that either. Pixies didn't play guitar solos that contained the same parts as the vocals.

Others include Megadeth, Pink Floyd (I really like them, but they seem overrated), Bathory, Tool, Anathema, At The Drive-In... I could probably go on forever, but I'll spare you.

Posted by Trigger

If there is a band I don't enjoy, the chances are that I don't want to enjoy them. I just can't want something that I don't even like, it doesn't make any sense to do so at all.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I really wish that I could get into the Beatles, but I just can't. I like oldies, but not the Beatles. I also wish I liked Led Zeppelin more, but after a few songs it all starts to sound the same

Posted by Klarth

I've listened to quite a bit of tool, but still don't "get it".

it's like a gay guy hoping he'll turn straight overnight, I guess.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I add Dream Theater to that list. I like some of their stuff, but nowhere near as much as anyone here or any of my friends who are into them.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Radiohead, Current 93, Dream Theater (has their moments), Pink Floyd, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Eldritch, Dragonforce, and post black metal Arcturus.

I realize that they're all talented bands, and I appreciate them for that, I just don't like them at all. Also, take note that I don't particularly want to get 'into' a band unless I find their sound to be pleasing. This list was meant as way for me to say "hey, I respect these musicians' talent but I'd never listen to them on my own accord".

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Rhapsody and Symphony X and Dragon Force and Sonata Arctica!?!? GOOD SIR, NO!!!!

Posted by sabre

Pain of Salvation, Planet X, Eldritch, Yes, Devin Townsend and Magnitude 9 come to mind. I don't dislike them by any means, I've just found them rather difficult to absorb myself into as fully. It'd take more for them to click with me than I currently have.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

I'd have to agree with Trigger on this subject. Although I may like certain songs from bands that I overall dislike, I can't think of a band that I'd actually want to get into, that I'm already not.

Posted by Klarth

Hell, the first thing I ever heard by Dream Theater was In The Name Of God. I loved the sound. Next thing I heard was As I Am, and it took me way too long to get into Train of Thought, and even longer to listen to anything from six degrees. Since I gave DT that chance, I now make a point of listening to new cds until I find a song that I can't get enough of.

However, there are still a few bands I can't do that with, Tool and Tiamat being paramount.

Posted by Dandelion

Metallica. I love heavy metal and stuff...but I just can't stand their music. All sounds similiar to me, plus I hate his voice. That and Godsmack, which is like their little spawn band.

Posted by Axis

Dream Theater, I listened to some of their music and didn't like it.

Posted by Hyper

Therion, I love the music, but I dislike the choral vocals.

Posted by Richaod

By the "can't get into it" thing, I appreciate the bands that I listed, but find it difficult to fully enjoy their music, mostly because I can't understand what freakish songwriting methods they use to write such songs. With Pink Floyd, I mostly think they're overrated, but still good. Tool are way too minimalistic for me. Anathema seem to have a vocalist that's singing parts that're too good for him. At The Drive-In because I like The Mars Volta. But Cedric's vocals are part of the reason - he seems to nasally shout on Relationship of Command.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I really wish that I could get into the Beatles, but I just can't. I like oldies, but not the Beatles.

i'm exactly the same way.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Richaod: Tool minimalistic

:eek:

There are plenty of bands I know that I'm certain I would get into if there were more hours in the day. Sometimes I just can't move aside the classics to give new bands a shot. Hence I might get into a few songs, but not their whole works.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Hence I might get into a few songs, but not their whole works.

Well, I consider Lateralus and Schism fairly minimalistic songs. And if it's not Tool that're minimalistic, Mogwai surely are.

That's my life story, and the reason I think Dream Theater are so popular here. On a "good song that's worth checking out":entire discography ratio, they wouldn't be past "high". The point is that since they have such a huge amount of not only studio albums, but Ytse Jam Official Bootlegs, DTIFC CDs, singles, bootlegs etc., it's difficult not to find at (the very) least a handful of good/great songs.

Mostly I rate bands I like not by their consistency, but by how good their best songs are, which comes off weirdly sometimes. Also weird is that I rate Megadeth the other way around, which is a bit of a problem.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

If I can't get inot a band, I won't even bother. There may be some cases where I know I'll like it after a few spins, but it's not like I'll force myself to like it. There's no band out there that would make me do that.

If I can't get into it, I won't like it,and if I don't like it, I give up on it. Simple as that.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Vampiro: If I can't get inot a band, I won't even bother. There may be some cases where I know I'll like it after a few spins, but it's not like I'll force myself to like it. There's no band out there that would make me do that.

If I can't get into it, I won't like it,and if I don't like it, I give up on it. Simple as that.

Personally, I tend to keep listening, and in the case of a hugely popular album I don't like, or hugely unpopular albums in general (like St. Anger) I'll dwell on it for some time and basically just identify what it is I dislike.

Then I'll leave it to rot.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Quoted post: Personally, I tend to keep listening, and in the case of a hugely popular album I don't like, or hugely unpopular albums in general (like St. Anger) I'll dwell on it for some time and basically just identify what it is I dislike.

Then I'll leave it to rot.

I don't see the point in that. Why bother continuing to listen to something you don't like just to point out WHAT you don't like about it. It doesn't matter what little details turn you off, all that matters is that the general package, and presentation just doesn't plase you. Who cares if the snare is a little tinny or the the music is bland. If it's bad, it's bad. And that's all I need to know.

However, like I said, if I notice something about a particular band that I generally like, I will stick with it. But I'm usually able to identify if it's music I know I'll like after a few spins or music I know I'll hate no matter what.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Vampiro: I don't see the point in that. Why bother continuing to listen to something you don't like just to point out WHAT you don't like about it. It doesn't matter what little details turn you off, all that matters is that the general package, and presentation just doesn't plase you. Who cares if the snare is a little tinny or the the music is bland. If it's bad, it's bad. And that's all I need to know.

However, like I said, if I notice something about a particular band that I generally like, I will stick with it. But I'm usually able to identify if it's music I know I'll like after a few spins or music I know I'll hate no matter what.

Bad music influences me as well. And if it's popular, too, I'd prefer understanding what it is I don't like that others do.

That really only applies to metal though (except power metal) - there's obviously no need to understand why I don't like Confessions Part II, etc.

Posted by Klarth

Quoting Hyper: Therion, I love the music, but I dislike the choral vocals.

Listen to Crazy Nights, The Khylisti Evangelist and Wings of the Hydra.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Richaod:
That really only applies to metal though (except power metal) - there's obviously no need to understand why I don't like Confessions Part II, etc.

Racist :)

Posted by Richaod

Quoting TheSecondComing: Racist :)

METALHEADIST!

Posted by Klarth

so he discriminates depending on what kind of metalhead the oppressed party is?

what

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Majesty: so he discriminates depending on what kind of metalhead the oppressed party is?

what

He's against them in general.

Posted by auzzman5151

Any post hardcore or screamo bands.