ITT Bill Gates is Poseidon, Master of Storms

Posted by Linko_16

[quote]The billionaire Microsoft founder says he has a plan to stop hurricanes in their tracks -- sort of.

Gates filed five patent applications earlier this month, and now they've been published in USA Today.

The ideas propose pumping cold ocean water into a hurricane's path from barges. The water would be sucked up from the deep ocean, where temperatures are colder than at the surface.

Hurricanes get their force from the warm waters of the ocean. Gates' plan would in theory cool the sea surface and thus slow the hurricane and keep it from becoming more powerful.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/us_world/Bill-Gates-Wants-to-Control-Weather.html

The idea is apparently feasible according to a few experts, but I think whoever is going to drive a boat into the path of a hurricane so he can throw chilly water at it deserves a medal every time he/she does it.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Lord of Teh_Str0mZ!!!!

That's a pretty crazy idea. I hope they investigate what repercussions we can look forward to by even temporarily altering the ocean's temperature like this.

Posted by Borealis

When you have a million dollars you can invest on your dog, you can be whatever Greek *** you want to be.

Posted by Lord of Spam

not a new idea, heard it a good while ago.

its retarded though. especially given that you would need to change the entire surface temperature over a wide area of the ocean. Not only is that hard as **** to do (seriously, the volumes involved are staggering) but you'd also have to take into consideration the environmental effects.

best part is that since the gulf stream tends to cut through the path of most storms, we'd be ****ting cold water on england:cool:

Posted by Tyler Durden

He can afford to uplink Skynet RIGHT now, and he's wasting his money on **** like this?

He'd surely have to enlist the aid of a few dozen barges to cover at least hundreds or so nautical miles of ocean surface for this to be even somewhat effective if such an event were plausible enough to take action. I don't know if Billy Gates has exactly been paying the right attention to, I don't know.. the ****ing world, but the Ocean is ****ing huge. It's un***ly, and it can destroy you!

Posted by Speedfreak

Compared to the amount of destruction hurricans can cause, employing 100 barges to take out a hurricane is vastly cheaper.

Posted by Tyler Durden

He should just invent a real-world [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Freeze"]freeze[/URL] ray beam cannon, and mount it in the top tier of his MicroSoft stronghold on Windows Island.