BlazBlue is Here!

Posted by Near

Anyone else pick this up? I had mine on pre-order, so I was quite shocked when it showed up on my doorstep the day of its release.

So far it is great. I have not stopped playing since I got it open and into my PS3. Well, I don't play that much, but enough.

Anyways, the dialogue in this game has to be the best of any fighting game ever. The actual fighting itself is quite entertaining and very technical when you get down to it. You can still button-mash in this game, unlike Street Fighter IV, but in order to get really good you have to be precise with your movements.

Bottom line, the game is fun and everything I expected from it. Now if I can just get through all the unlocking of stuff, then it will be time to start playing for real.

Posted by Zeta

Bought the 360 version the other day. Haven't played online yet, but it's pretty awesome.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i ****ing want this game so bad but no publisher has picked it up for europe yet

Posted by Ant

I thought it was coming out somewhat soon in Europe?

But yeah, been playing it a lot the past 2 days and I'm liking it quite a bit. The background with GG has helped out a bit, but also hurt. I'm prone to accidently bursting early in a match and screwing myself over because of it.

<3 Rachel, Tao, and Arakune

Posted by Near

Right now I don't have high-speed so I can't play online, but at the start of August I should be up and running. So how is the online play?

Right now I am just running through Arcade mode, really trying to get a feel for all the characters to see who I would like to play as. Naturally a lot of these characters are quite similar to their Guilty Gear counter-parts, but it's been so long since I have even played a Guilty Gear game, its hard to make a decision off of that.

So far I think I am either looking to play as Litchi or Ragna. I really like Noel, but a friend of mine plays as her, and I don't like playing as the same characters as other people I will be playing the game with.

I really want to like Hakumen, but it seems like his fighting style is based off of counters and just strong attacks, so not a lot of action to be had with him compared to other characters.

Anyone else have any thoughts on specific characters?

Ant: Forgive me if I dont know what <3 means, but is that a symbol for those three characters are good to go, or maybe something not as nice? :-p

Posted by Ant

It means I like those characters. I "heart" them.

Funny that you mention that you won't play Noel though because another character is playing her. I have a friend that mains Jin so EVEN though I think I would be better suited for him since he's the Ky of this series he claimed him first so I've yet to use him. I'll probably start soon though.

Posted by Zeta

Quoting Near: Right now I don't have high-speed so I can't play online, but at the start of August I should be up and running. So how is the online play?

Not sure about the PS3 version, but the 360 version has some serious slowdown during a fight's opening. After the announcer yells "ACTION!" though, it's pretty much flawless.

Rachel, Jin, and Bang are my main three at the moment. I'd kind of like to play as Tager too, even though the big guys in fighting games usually aren't my thing.

Posted by Ant

yeah the online is the same on the triple.

Posted by Near

Nice, I am heading to my friends place for the weekend, so I will get some online play in. I am looking forward to it.

I played as Arakune for a while, thought I might really like him, but I ended up not caring so much for his style of fighting. At first he kind of reminded me of Glacious from Killer Instinct 64 (who I loved playing as), but as I got a little more in depth with Arakune's style of play, I just was not comfortable with him.

On a new note, I have been playing with all the characters a little more. I have to say, Taokaka is a very good character if one would take the time to get good with her. She seems to be very quick, and very good at getting away from enemies after a quick attack.

On to the big news. I have decided I will play as Bang. This is without a doubt the coolest character due to his one heat drive move. Its the one where you need to connect with your divine attack four times to light up all your symbols, and then you can preform this technique to allow for 20% more damage on every attack, and each movement is a dash. No more blocking is allowed unless using your barrier shield. BUT! That is not what makes this move awesome....it comes with its own THEME MUSIC!!! How awesome is that?

Bang is probably not the best choice for myself, given the way I play fighting games, but I am determined to learn how to use him effectively.

Posted by Zeta

Haha, I love how nearly everyone who mains Bang decided on him because of his "Bang Install" theme.

Been playing with Tager recently. Having a lot of fun mauling people with GENESIC EMERALD TAGER BUSTER.

Posted by Degeneration

My impressions so far...

V13: best. projectiles. EVER. Favorite person right here
Noel (most common character online): n00b rush attack are go!!
Tager: Most entertaining power character since Sentinel from MvC2
Hakumen: powerslash, powerslash, ???, profit
Ragna: They did a lot to make this guy seem totally different from Sol. j/k
Bang:
BANG, BANG, BANG BANG BA-BANG

Quoting Ant: I'm prone to accidently bursting early in a match and screwing myself over because of it.

THIS. I never do it on purpose, yet I've done it so much I got a trophy for it. This game is mocking me

Posted by Ant

Well, I've since been able to completely avoid doing so. It was just that I was so used to GG that it was habit. I only do it now when I'm in an unbreakable combo that will finish me off.

Hakumen is the cheapest character by far in the game. LOL C ATTACK FTW. And yeah, I've since grown to really like V13 what with the dashing back and forth around your opponent and setting up sword traps. Just a fun character all around.

Posted by Ant

also:

[youtube=U158VC5u6kk]U158VC5u6kk[/youtube]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah the game has no european release date and no publisher has offered to pick it up

i got to play it last night for a couple of hours, feeling jin because freezing people owns

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[youtube=caSKP-1kOdk]caSKP-1kOdk[/youtube]

Posted by Zeta

The Hitler version is better.

Posted by Ant

agreed

Posted by Stalolin

[quote=Ant;946060]also:

[youtube=U158VC5u6kk]U158VC5u6kk[/youtube]

holy **** is that the actual background music

holy **** i did not know jam project was in this holy ****

Posted by Zeta

Yeah, whenever Bang uses a certain move that song replaces whatever was initially playing for the rest of the round.

Posted by Degeneration

I'm sure Europe will get it eventually so you don't all have to import the PS3 version. They're just now giving us Americans a PS3 version of Battle Fantasia this fall. I don't even want that game anymore.

HATE FIGHTING NOEL. Tier lists (lol) say she's not that high, but she gives me more trouble than V13. How do you get past her D button nonsense?

Posted by Ant

block? her attacks leave her extremely open if she misses.

Posted by Zeta

Hell, Tager can BREAK THROUGH her Drive with his Sledgehammer attack.

Posted by Degeneration

Wow, Noel can't do anything about Tager. Thanks for the tip. Now to figure out why I'm like 0-3000 vs Rachel only.

Posted by Stalolin

alright so v-13 and ragna are awesome

gonna go play more

Posted by Stalolin

also bang 4 lyfe

Posted by Degeneration

Bang made Story Mode worth playing. "Glare" is the best quote in the game

Posted by Ant

Tao's alternate truth story with Bang made me laugh pretty hard. TAO is waifu status.

Posted by Near

I thought it was quite ammusing when I went to see my friend and got to play online, and all of those guys were constantly doing their Barrier Burst because of GG. They could not win a match to save their life because of the BB way to soon in a match. Eventually they got the hang of it.

It sucks now that I am back home and can't play online anymore. While I am here forced to play the computer, everyone else is 1up'ing me by constantly playing online.

I still want to play as Bang, he just seems to be so hard to control when you do his one move to get the awesome theme music. I don't have complete control over all his movements being dashes.

I must say, I did OK when playing online as Bang though, but once I went into ninja mode, my skill level dropped because I just couldn't play correctly while dashing all over the screen.

I HATE Jin players. The freezing just gets annoying.

Noel players have it easiest, with her being the easiest character to button mash with.

That's my report up until now.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

sounds like you suck at the game

Posted by Ant

Quoting Near: I still want to play as Bang, he just seems to be so hard to control when you do his one move to get the awesome theme music. I don't have complete control over all his movements being dashes.

I've yet to actually play with Bang. Though his awesomeness as a character shines through like that of a... captain falcon reference.

Quoting Near: I HATE Jin players. The freezing just gets annoying.

Now imagine the main person you play against is a Jin main? I find playing defensively is your best option. Let him ride his gay ice at you, block, then go in for a quick low hit or any move fast enough so that you can hit him before he can block.

Quoting Near: Noel players have it easiest, with her being the easiest character to button mash with.

That may be true, but to actually win with her is a different story.

Posted by Near

Wow, and here I thought we were having a decent thread for once, then Bluntmaster has to come in an insult my skill level. I will admit, I have never been one to try and play a fighting game technically. I have always been the guy looking for the best button-mash character, but I have decided to actually try and play these fighting games the way they were meant to be played, so excuse me if my skill level is sub-par.

Anyways, thats what I try and do Ant, at least against certain characters. I feel like Jin is certainly a very offensive based character, and very fast, so it is probably best to play a counter game against him.

I would also say you are probably 100% correct with Noel. It may be easy to button-mash your way to a victory against less skilled players with Noel, but I am sure if you tried to pull that crap against a player who knows what they are doing, it wouldn't go over so well.

I need to jump on the Story Mode Band Wagon. I figured I was missing some pretty epic dialogue after what little you hear through Arcade Mode.

Posted by Zeta

I've fought three RIDE ZE ICENING Jin spammers so far. Force Countered between the main attack and the followup katana slash, and they drastically reduced their use of the move.

Perfect Guarding helps too.

Posted by Degeneration

Using V13 and playing like a jerk will also get you out of most situations.

edit: but LOL at the trash talk you get for winning with her.

Posted by Ant

Heh, just noticed something interesting about the achievement picture here: [IMG]http://tiles.xbox.com/tiles/ns/Qg/04CLiGJhbC9MCxsBGlBTVkQ1L2FjaC8wLzE4AAAAAOfn5-wPxII=.jpg[/IMG]

Posted by Stalolin

oh *** which one is that

Posted by Stalolin

oh *** which one is that

Posted by Stalolin

oh *** which one is that

(one more post for good measure)

Posted by Degeneration

That one is Voyeur, not that I have it.

So is it possible for you all to have a main character? I always have to try and counter whoever the other guy will probably use.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Stalolin: oh *** which one is that

(one more post for good measure)

[IMG]http://www.youthglue.com/photos/members/5011/4koma.jpg[/IMG]

Quoting Degeneration: That one is Voyeur, not that I have it.

So is it possible for you all to have a main character? I always have to try and counter whoever the other guy will probably use.

I'd say I main Tao for now. Been getting better with Jin as of recent.

Posted by Stalolin

i knew the meme broski

i was looking for the achievement

also i REALLY want to main bang

Posted by Near

Bang is great, and thats who I main as. Sure, I suppose it would be best for you to be able to play as everyone, and then just pick the ideal character when playing against someone. However from what I can tell, everyone seems to be pretty well rounded, and now that I am getting better, it becomes easier to best characters I usually have trouble beating.

Posted by Degeneration

Yeah, my Tager stomps 99% of all the Noels (thanks for the tip), but can't do a thing against Rachel when she keeps throwing that thing that turns into a lightning rod.

Posted by Zeta

For Rachels I usually use the down Drive tackle to get past lightning rods quickly, or just keep my distance and use Spark Bolt at the best opportunity.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yo i play arakune now and when this game comes out in europe (lol never) i'm gonna own yall for free

Posted by Near

Say, I have been playing the Story Mode, and so far I have played through with Ragna and Jin, but I get to a point and then it takes me back to the Story Mode menu, and I only have about 50% of each characters story cleared. I am assuming that in order to get 100%, you just have to keep playing through other charcters story. So I was wondering if that is the case?

Posted by Stalolin

Play through again and choose different options. Additionally, for some endings or events you'll have to lose or Distortion Finish.

Posted by Ant

you also have to lose to EVERY opponent. kinda annoying.

Posted by Degeneration

I finally got the hang of this game. I still lose plenty, but no particular character is giving me trouble anymore.

Rachel's weakness was Hakumen. Nah, everybody's weakness is Hakumen.

So I guess that's my main guy, although Tager is still the Noel killer. Elbow drop that ho.
Same with V13 when you're playing against a "curse, spam stuff, repeat" Arakune. He wants to stay back? kk

Posted by Stalolin

yeah haku-men is kinda overpowered but that's it

i think they only did that for storyline reasons though

Posted by Ant

Nu is the only character that I really don't like playing against online. No one else really annoys me. Tager's can be pretty hard, but still not that bad. Most Ragna's suck and it amazes me at how they can get to be such a high level when they suck so bad.

Posted by Near

So yeah, I went and found a guide on the whole story mode deal, and it is quite annoying, having to lose to everyone first, then come back and beat them. Anyways, I will get around to finishing everyones story.

I myself am actually getting a lot better at the game now that I have been playing a lot more. Again, I still can't play online for a few more days, so I have been setting the difficulty to Very Hard and Hell. Both are challenging, depends which character I play as and who I am playing against.

I have actually decided to go back to using Ragna. He just fits my style more, and I do play much better as him. I just hope I don't fall under the category that Ant has mentioned. I'd like to think I can play well enough as Ragna. Not a bad character if you ask me, he just has to be used correctly.

Bang is still backup, and I am slowly getting better at using him. Although I did have a question about is Divine attack. I know it can block other attacks, but there are times when I can block a certain combo, and others when that combo breaks through and rips me a new one. Does moving the left stick cause that? That is the only thing I can think that would cause my Divine attack to be broken through.

Posted by Stalolin

It blocks one initial attack and then follows through with it's actual attack. Whether or not you get the attack off depends on the attack speed of the opponent's next move. If you know a combo is going to destroy you, try not to use it. If you do end up using it, you can hit one of the other buttons on the controller (don't remember which) the exact moment you block and you can teleport to the other side of the opponent. It'll leave them wide open if they're trying to get a combo off.

Posted by Ant

I'm also pretty sure the strength of the attack has something to do with it as well. I say that cause I've hit a bang while he was doing that move about 8 times with a crouching light punch and it didn't stop the move.

I also got myself ripped a new one last night at the arcade playing against a Bang. I blame that mostly on not being used to the controls(B+C to grab etc) but even then I probably would have lost anyways. Still fun though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

buy marvel

Posted by Ant

**** THE KNICKS!

Posted by Near

Man I wish I had an arcade around here. I miss living in Japan, arcades are everywhere.

Stalolin, I am pretty sure it blocks more than the initial attack, as long as the next attacks are fast enough, like a quick 3 jab combo. At least that is what the creators say in the BluRay that came with the Limited Edition. And I think for the teleport, it is A, B, or C...not 100% on that though.

I think you might be right about the power thing Ant. My experience was fighting against Nu, when she does that 8 hit combo by slashing down on you with all 8 of her swords. Sometimes I block all 8 and follow through with my attack, then other times something happens and the last few hits connect. I honestly think it is because I moved my stick, which I think interupts my current action, or something along those lines.

So Tager is my kryptonite when I play as Ragna. Any advice? I have tried playing aggressive, and I have also stayed back to wait for openings. Tager just keeps grabbing me and throwing me for huge damage, and his Distortion throw rapes me for free.

Posted by Ant

I suggest jumping you find yourself anywhere close to throw range.

Posted by Ant

and don't do hells fate every 5 seconds ffs

Posted by Near

Yeah, I have started to jump away whenever one of my attacks misses, since Tager is most likely going to grab at that opprotunity. Hells Fang is probably the worst move I can do against Tager, found that out quickly, since he usually backsteps then grabs me.

Since Tager is so large, I can be about half the screen away and connect with Ragna's Inferno Divider, which is really helpful to start a decent combo. His Gauntlet Hades works well to when it is not blocked.

I do alright now, I suppose patience is the key when fighting Tager with Ragna. I find staying the full length of the screen back is good, until Tager does his one rush attack, closing about half the distance, leaving himself wide-open for a counter.

Thanks Ant! By the way, have you, or anyone else attempted to play through Score Attack mode?

Posted by Ant

I tried once and lost pretty quickly. But I'll go through and beat it eventually.

Posted by Near

Yeah, I read somewhere that Score Attack is the most challenging AI experience in the game. I have also tried, and failed (several times).

Anyways, on another note, a friend of mine informed me last night that there was some BB Tourney where Tager and Taokaka were the finalists. Thought that was interesting, so I thought I would share that.

Posted by Degeneration

The second time I tried Score Attack, I had to fight an overpowered version of Rachel and got destroyed. Didn't see that coming. Hey, but Tager and Tao are great! They just wish they were Hakumen, is all.

I just figured out the other day that Hakumen's snowstorm may be the greatest move ever when you time it right.

Good times online:

other guy's V13, scared to come close, did her beam super -> SNOWSTORM! -> final round over
other guy's Jin shot one innocent little ice dagger from the other side of the screen -> SNOWSTORM! -> final round over
other guy's Ragna did a beast combo and all I could do was block -> oh wait -> SNOWSTORM! -> both rounds ended that way

Posted by Near

So I have High Speed Internet again, so I am able to play online. So far I have been able to hold my own playing as Ragna, but there are so many people who use Jin, it has gotten old already, and I have only been playing online for a day.

I have come to the conclusion that too many of Jin's attacks freeze you, but whatever.

Posted by Degeneration

Jin is this game's Ken, the flawless all-rounder that most people online flock to for a thoughtless win. And yeah, he can freeze waaay too easily. Ice Car and all the D moves are bad enough, but his regular grab freezing you is overkill. If you aren't fast enough, he can just throw you over and over again. Either that, or he can flip a coin and decide which super move to kill you with for free.

Tager does a pretty good job dealing with him, though. Right after the inevitable Ice Car and the slash that follows, grab, anti-air grab, down+D. You'd think the other player would learn, but you might win the whole match by combining this, Sledgehammer and the elbow drop to counter Jin's randomness.

Posted by Ant

Once you get to the higher levels you don't see as many Jin's. The one's you will see are really good though. And after playing as Jin for a rather extensive amount of time I will say that he is extremely exploitable if his attacks don't hit. Like the example Degen noted, every character can do something like that if they're fast/smart enough.

Is it funny that p. much every Ragna player I encounter doesn't even have a sub character? Idk, I find it kind of sad actually.

Posted by Near

Yeah, I am usually able to handle Jins ok, unless they are top level players, then they usually rape me right now. I am still in the process of not using my specials as much, and actually try to put together well thought out combos. I do an OK job right now, but a little practice and I should do a lot better.

Can you actually see a given users % usage of other characters?

Right now I still claim Bang as my sub character, although I have yet to try my luck with him online yet. I figure I will get decent enough with Ragna, then play as Bang for a little difference.

I am really enjoying the ability to download replay data from other players, that way you can kind of see how certain characters are meant to be played. Someone could learn quite a bit by watching some of these higher ranked players.

Posted by S

Just got this. In relation to GG, I think it blows pretty hard in the balance department. Regardless, I'm still messing with it.

I'm on PS3, and my user name is Solrok, so feel free to ad me.

Posted by Near

Consider it done, I need more friends on the PSN.

Anyways, I never played GG much, but my buddy has and seems to think the balance is semi-decent. I myself havnt noticed any one character being too powerful. I may have a complaint about Hakumens damage, and too many of Jins moves freezing you, but what can you do...

Posted by Degeneration

I think at first, the game seems really unbalanced because of how different the characters are from each other. It's not like Street Fighter where some characters might be stronger, some might be faster, some might have a projectile, and that's it. Blazblue feels like they're being taken from a bunch of different games.

The balance does take a hit because of that. The latest tier list has characters all over the board. But there are definitely ways to beat everybody using anybody.

Posted by Degeneration

A good friend of mine just ragequit on me. He said to go all out!

Posted by Degeneration

PS3 DLC out.
- Four Unlimited character unlocks for lazy people who can't complete arcade mode, $0.99 each
- Four new colors for every character, $4.99

I think the Xbox had this a while ago.

Posted by Near

The colors are awesome, I might have to get that cause .... well, just cause.

But seriously? I cant believe they actually put out the Unlimited Characters as DLC. Are people that lazy that they cant complete Arcade mode?