Trek vs. Wars

Posted by Dr._31337

If you're a big enough geek to post here, then you probably have an opinion ont he matter. So which do you prefer, Star Trek or Star Wars?

For me, its trek all the way. There is more history, more variety, and just better stories and characters.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

ho lee crap
star wars all the way, wow, no freakin contest. Trek is so lame. Star Wars is much better because everybody is incorporated into the inter-stellar ideal. . . commoners, smugglers, bounty hunters, etc, all flyin around doing stuff. Trek it's always just skinny men and women in one-color shirts with tasers and BOREDOM

Posted by MapMan

seven of nine is one nice looking borg... Gotta go with Trek.
The borg would assimilate the empire and alliance.

Posted by Mystic Hero

I really can't decide. I like them both, more so Star Wars, but some of the Trek movies happen to be good as well in my opinion. I like the way in the Trek movies there would always be some type of alien that take shold of the crew or trys to kill them and what not and you have to keep watching to see how they get themselves out of that mess. Star wars is also another fun series. You have your Sith dark lords trying to take control of the republic and there is your Jedi with their Light Sabers trying to defend what is right. there is a lot better action and special effects done in Star wars in my opinion makin git a fantastic series, but there are some Trek movies and such that appeal to my liking.

Posted by Dr._31337

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: ho lee crap
star wars all the way, wow, no freakin contest. Trek is so lame. Star Wars is much better because everybody is incorporated into the inter-stellar ideal. . . commoners, smugglers, bounty hunters, etc, all flyin around doing stuff. Trek it's always just skinny men and women in one-color shirts with tasers and BOREDOM

Dude, no way, its all about trek. In trek, you dont even have to worry about money. They are beyond it; everything is basically free, becuase htey all work for the good of hte society. Its perfect communism, and whats more, the Star Trek series was very forward thnking for its time. In a time where women were rarely doing anyhting important in tv, Star Trek had not only a woman on the bridge crew, but a black one at that.

Not only that, but the different series all provide an interesting way to watch the story of the future unfold, with alliances shifting and breaking.

Good times.

Me and my girlfriend are planning on going and harrassing hte Star Wars nerds at hte next release. Should be fun.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

lightsaber battles and the force > tasers and jumpsuits
Obi-Wan Kenobi> Jean-Luc Picard
Chewbacca>Mr Spock

Posted by Dr._31337

Q>everything that the star wars universe can muster

and if you dont know who Q is, then jsut go kill yourself

I'll be back to pwn you tommorow, sleep calls

Posted by Arwon

I'm gonna be the dork waving the Babylon 5 flag.

*waves*

Posted by specopssv44

Star wars all the way...The Empire could dominate anything trek can throw at them!!! Id like to see"The Enterprise" V.S. Super Star Destroyer "The Executor"...no contest!

Posted by Arwon

They have shields and teliporters in Star Trek.

What's more, the physics of the Star Trek universe ALWAYS ALLOWS a bullshit Deus Ex Machina technobabble-based escape, and main characters never stay dead. That more or less guarantees them victory in any conflict with the Empire, which has no such automatic saves.

That said, the Vorlons could take them all.

Posted by Richaod

I've never actually seen a Star Trek episode. I've seen a preview for the most recent movie, which seemed interesting enough, but the series in general appears to be somewhat cheesy.

Star Wars is great though, and hopefully Episode III will top the previous two...

Posted by Raptor

I abhor them both, but Star Wars is even worse than Star Trek for being chock-full of blatant racial stereotypes. Especially in the recent films.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

^funniest thing I've read all day.

Granted, it's 3AM, so it's only been three hours, but still, lawl

Posted by Raptor

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1218/is_2_127/ai_n12442356

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's ludicrous. Lucas tried to make up his own cultural identities in the movie and people call him racist. How come nobody's bitching because the evil people, the empire, etc are always British and the good guys American? It's a notable difference. Oh wait, those groups aren't minorities, so it's cool to make the brits look bad.
Whatever. These groups are really reaching these days, as the majority of people are sliding towards the middle of the spectrum and aren't being taken in by all this fanatical bullshit and they're losing their target audience. I think the stereotyped imagery was done on purpose, but it was done to give them their own culture. Why would Lucas suddenly try to piss people off now? Why would it suddenly be his goal to purposely make these hateful? Why can't the people who are asian-like be evil? Somebody has to be evil! They can't all be British white people! Lando, Leia, Mara Jade, Boba Fett, Mace Windu, etc etc are all minorities or women (I'm sure I'm leaving some out) and none are portrayed evilly. It would be retarded if you expected it to all compliment people, because then it'd be white people fighting white people and there would be no diversity and all the aliens would be good people who somehow magically spoke perfect, eloquent English. You're smarter than that, Raptor, don't fall for this zealot horse dung.

Posted by Raptor

Actually, I don't subscribe to it. I recognise that it portrays stereotypes, but not necessarily in a degrading fashion. I was just reaching for a reason as to why Star Wars should be considered lower than Star Trek, other than I personally can't stand Star Wars at all. I can tolerate watching an episode of Star Trek but can't bear to watch a five-minute segment of a Star Wars film. That article was required reading for my english 215 class, and I actually raised a point arguing against it, similar to what you mentioned.

Posted by Speedfreak

Wars by absolutely miles, the Star Wars universe is miles more expansive and deep than Star Trek's and has a LOT more going on. Plus, Star Trek doesn't have starfighters, I mean what the hell?

Posted by sniper

I can't stand Trek, so Wars it is.

Posted by Klarth

Hitchhiker's Gui-- er, Wars.

Posted by Alastor

Wars4lyfe

I've never been able to sit through an entire episode of Star Trek. Too boring. :(

Then again, I haven't been able to sit through pretty much any crappy low-budget sci-fi TV show. Stargate, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica...anything. IMO, none compare to Wars, so there's no point in even bothering with them.

Posted by The Judge

Star Wars totally pwns the crap out of anything Star Trek has to offer.

Let's see, Klingons (sp) or Jedi's? Ie. Some race most people don't even know what they are and have only heard the name, or a super knight with a light saber that can more or less do basically anything he wants with his use of the force? Spock or Yoda? I think you know the answer.

DARTH VADER OR WILLIAM SHATNER?! (KAHN!)

Posted by Fate

I didn't really like either of them until KOTOR came about. After that, I decided that the soundtrack was godly and couldn't be beaten. In conclusion, Wars can't be beaten.

Trekkies are scary, anyways.

Posted by Dr._31337

I like how people are making vs type arguments. If that is the way you want it, fine, allow me to introduce [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/penguinbob/q.jpg]Q[/url]. What is Q? He is omnipotent. So those Star destroyers you were bragging about? They dont exsist if he doesnt want them to. Jedis? Too bad he just got rid of the force by thinking about it. Lasers? Ooops, he bent space time to deflect them around his body.

K, case closed, trek>wars.

Posted by The Judge

Cheating.

Posted by mis0

They're both scifi so I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that Han Solo kicks ass. Wars, thusly. And I agree with Fate. The music ist wunderbar.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Star Wars is way better than Star Trek. Seriously.

Star Trek nerds are way nerdier than Star Wars nerds. Star Trek nerds have every episode memorized can tell you "remember in season 4, episode 6 when..." which is pretty weird to me.

Posted by Dr._31337

Speaking as a star trek nerd, I have no such level of memorization.

And just for hte record, i have heard wars nerds who have similar levels of loserness and memorization.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

it's not hard to memorize lines as a star wars nerd, there are like half as many movies and let's not get into the television shows

Posted by Shanuti Aborina

Hmmmmmmm hard....NOT!

Trek>Wars xD

I find trek WAAAAAAAAY more believable, hellava lot more physics and most importantly... Character development. Wars could NEVER touch trek.

Posted by MetalVox~55

It pains me to say this, because i'm an avid "Wars" fan. Unfortunately, if there was an actual fight, Star Trek would end up beating Star Wars.

Geek Rant/Proof thingy:
The Phasers of Star Trek disrupt matter, so that'd leave shields and armor of the Star Wars cruisers screwed, and Lightsabers wouldn't be able to block it.

Posted by Speedfreak

Provided the sheilds are matter, of course.

Posted by Shade

Yes, haven't you heard of the new Republic non-matter energy shields? They're made of pure force power.

Posted by mis0

I change my opinion to this: fuck them both. I'm sick of Star Wars already and I haven't even seen it yet, and trek just blows.

Posted by Crazy K

Pesonally I hate them both. No offense to you Star Wars, and Star Trek fans, but "Wars" and "Trek" are just to geeky for me.

But if I really really had to choose, I would choose Star Wars. Star Trek is just way more weird and whatever for my liking. But I really dont like either. I only found interest in star wars films. The New Star Wars looks to be ok, but I dont plan on ever seing it, nore do I plan on seing any of the past films aswell. The same goes for anything Star Trek.

Posted by Xenos

... geeky?

Either way, I'll go with Star Wars. I'm okay with SW, but I hate St.

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Shade: Yes, haven't you heard of the new Republic non-matter energy shields? They're made of pure force power.

Tell that to the Yuuvzon Vong (sp. please tell me you know what im talking about).

Posted by Black_Wolf

Oh yea, Love the Star Wars Universe. So expansive and virtually untapped. It just seems that you could make a lot more kick *** games w/ what the SW universe has to offer than what the ST one does. The phazers, the Klingons, I dunno. All just seems so un-interesting. It seems like the Enterprise just goes around looking for neato stuff to do while you can just grab any character in the SW universe and see a great story or adventure. I do like the original Star Trek w/ Spock and Shatner.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Crazy K: Pesonally I hate them both. No offense to you Star Wars, and Star Trek fans, but "Wars" and "Trek" are just to geeky for me.

This, coming from the guy with the pro wrestling blog.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Star Wars. I was never able to get into ST. Didn't like the characters.

Posted by Light

i like both but if i had to pick star wars defently.

Posted by Crazy K

[Quote=Fie-on Castor]This, coming from the guy with the pro wrestling blog.

It aint as geeky as Star Wars or Star trek, I can tell you that much.

Back on subject. Like I said before im sorry if that offends any of you guys who do like that stuff, but I just dont like it personally. I would choose Star Wars over Trek anyday. I purly hate Star Trek. I really hate trek with a passion.

I just dont like how in star wars its just is too kidish during some parts (Besides the fighting scenes) and Christian Hadenson (if thats the guy who plays Anican Skywalker) he is a horrible actor.

Like I said im sorry if That offends you because it should not.

Posted by Pit

Watching sweaty man on man action is better than Star Wars? Well I watch neither, so meh.

Posted by Crazy K

Its not about men rubbing against men. its wrestling not gay crap. Its fighting not rape. Man get your mind out of the gutter. I am getting tired of wrestling anyways, the story is starting to suck (who am I kidding its been bad for a couple years now)
Anyways I aint going to bother this topic anymore, Im just going to keep arguing and all that.

Posted by Pit

Quoting Crazy K: Its not about men rubbing against men. its wrestling not gay crap.

It's oiled up men rubbing up against each other. Get your mind out of the gutter and watch something more manly, like Teletubbies. BURN.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

There's a story to wrestling?

I don't bother watching either series. But star trek has Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis.

Posted by bazariah

i like both star wars and star trek, they are both completly different have have things the other doesnt

i prefer my star wars to trek as i have devoted more of my time to wars, yet trek does have it's appeal

Posted by Pikamon

Personally, I watch them both. I'd tend to agree that Star Trek is the better of the two simply because it has a much wider scope (it's been around just as long as Star Wars, and it's had like 15 movies---not sure about that, but it's a lot---and five series).

Each universe has its own appeal. Star Wars is completely foreign, set in a galaxy far, far away, with tons of alien races and no universal translator (although some people understand Wookie for some weird reason, but they still can't speak it, and vise-versa). Star Trek takes place in this galaxy, and deals primarily with Earth, so it's much more familar. Everything in Star Trek is scientific (to quote Dan Brown, "Good science fiction comes from good science"), and every episode's plot is pretty well-thought out (as far as TNG goes). So people who just want to have a good time at the theater go to see Star Wars, while people who want to think and watch characters analyze stuff go to see Star Trek. Both are good, but they're still totally different.

If you guys wanna compare, compare them when the live-action tv show of Star Wars comes out next year.

Posted by Fei-on Castor

Quoting Crazy K:
Christian Hadenson (if thats the guy who plays Anican Skywalker)

Hayden Christensen play a character named Anakin Skywalker.

I'm sure you don't care, but just for information's sake.

Posted by Majeh717

Star Wars hands down its just so much better it gives you more life to space than
Trek.i mean did you see hole armys on trek no.and Star Wars gose into space religon with Jedi and Sith.

Posted by Aioros

[COLOR=Yellow]Star Wars. The whole concept of good vs evil is much more inspiring than whatever Star Trek's message is. I admit that i don't know much about Star Trek though, but it's not like i never tried learning it's mythology. I did, and it's nowhere near as cool as a galaxy filled with Jedi, Sith, Mandalorians, etc...all fighting for what they believe in.[/COLOR]

Posted by Zeck

Star Wars. There exists no Earth, it is much cooler, and realism is only taken into account as long as the story isn't limited because of it.