Inspirational/Creative Pieces

Posted by Kamek

Does anyone have some suggestions for some inspirational of creative masterpieces - whether they are shows or movies? Many point to Pixar for creativity, but I've seen them all, and people also point to Miyazaki's films so I'm looking for things along those lines. They can be anime, animation or live action (kind of like Pan's Labyrinth) - just something creative, moving or that makes you think! It's summer time, and I need to gather all the inspiration I can before school starts back up again.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm a big fan of "classic" movies - or foreign classic dramas according to netflix. Call it whatever, I'm a big fan of creative directors because they can really make or break a movie. I recommend checking these out:

Akira Kurosawa - Ikiru (my favorite movie), Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, Yojimbo, Ran, The Bad Sleep Well, Hidden Fortress
Ingmar Bergman - The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, The Virgin Spring
Federico Fellini - Amaracord, La Strada, 8 1/2
Vittorio De Sica - Umberto D., The Bicycle Thief

Also: THX 1138, Diabolique, Eraserhead, Sword of Doom

Posted by Speedfreak

Spaghetti Westerns.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Agreed. Once Upon a Time in the West is a great one in particular. Great soundtrack too, Ennio Morricone's great. Philsdad hooked me up with that a while back. Also A Fistful of Dollars (western Yojimbo remake), A Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly are fantastic movies of this style.

Not a Spaghetti Western, but make it a point to check out Unforgiven if you haven't seen that already Kamek. Great movie all around. The History Channel's butchery of the movie doesn't do it the justice it deserves.