Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It starts today with Microsoft's press conference.

[URL]http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/microsoft-e3/[/URL]

Also:
Just a note that Microsoft has notified press that they're pushing their presentation up by 5 minutes for an "extra-special" announcement. That means the new start time will be 10:25 am PST, 1:25pm est.

EEEEEEE WHAT COULD IT BE

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Biggest announcement it could be for me would be Panzer Dragoon Saga II. It'll probably be something lame like Metal Gear Solid 4, though.

Hmm. I was partially right. New Metal Gear game for the 360. Whoop-de-shit.

Alan Wake should be an awesome game, at least.

Project Natal seems impressive, but I doubt its market potential. The Wii's motion controls are right out of the box, and inexpensive. The method for 3D movement that's handled by the Wii's Nunchuck is also unclear.

Posted by Speedfreak

Ever see underneath an avatar's shoe?

BAM.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

highlights for me:

- splinter cell conviction. wow. the memory system plus the way objectives are presented is just ****ing gorgeous. 5 years for a new ubi montreal SC paid off

- modern warfare 2. if you've seen the gameplay demo i dont even gotta tell you why. motion sensor looks siq

- alan wake. i love the PC commentary as you're playing, and the voice acting. graphics are ehhh but it will still deliver

- the old republic trailer. holy **** it breaks canon so hard but who give a ****

Posted by cool gamer dad

Daniel BOnd -"Playing video games..."

Daniel Bond - "playing video games again.."

Daniel Bond - "playing games :["

Posted by Speedfreak

Why are Microsoft so unwatchable? They have this "being down with the kids" thing going on.

Posted by Phantasm

suddenly, virtual sex

that natal ****'s creepy.

Nah. I'm sure it'll be able to detect when you are M or AO-rated content and shut itself down.

Posted by Ant

Natal looks pretty cool. I'm sure the casual crowd will eat that **** up if they can come out with some sort of Wii Sports to come out with it. Though the main thing I found most interesting about it was just the simple interface interaction. Minority Report status **** goin on.

As for games, the only ones that really look interesting for 360 are cod:mw2 and halo3:odst. Not quite sure wtf Alan Wake is supposed to be. New MGS game, woohoo. Otherwise the only other games that interest me are the Arcade games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

just watched ubisoft's conference with vamp and we ****ing died irl from sheer WHAT THE ****

Posted by Ant

NMH2 looks just as badass as ever.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

CoD:MW2 GotY '09

Posted by maian

lol@metal gear announcement

looks like metal gear is just going to turn into one of those series that gets a subpar new entry every year

Posted by Speedfreak

>implying that it wasn't already with the exception of 3.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=maian;943874]lol@metal gear announcement

looks like metal gear is just going to turn into one of those series that gets a subpar new entry every yearbutthurt as ****, i love it

boohoo maian

Posted by Speedfreak

Why is the crowd so fucking quiet at the nintendo conference. They cheered at Imagine games at the Ubisoft one.

GOLDEN SUN DS HELL YEAH.

NEW SUPER MARIO BROS VS MODE: THE GAME HELL YEAH

MARIO VS DONKEY KONG WITH LEVEL EDITOR HELL YEAH

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL BEARERS HELL YEAH

PILOTWINGS SKYDIVING MINIGAME IN WII SPORTS RESORT (AND ARCHERY) HELL YEAH

WARIOWARE WITH GAME MAKER HELL YEAH

VIRTUA TENNIS HELL YEAH

SIN AND PUNISHMENT 2 HELL YEAH

Posted by Speedfreak

METROID ACTION GAME BY TEAM NINJA.

I SHAT A CASTLE.

Posted by maian

holy balls metroid cumming buckets

still though where on earth is zelda

Posted by Ant

New Metroid game, SMG2, and GS:DS were the only games that really stood out to me. The rest was pretty much old *** **** and corporate gloating. And a pulse tracker? wooptie****ingdoo. Still, the first two games I mentioned were enough to make me happy, though the lack of a new Zelda for Wii was pretty surprising.

Posted by Zeta

"Oh no, did the guys at Nintendo finally go crazy enough to make a space Zelda or something?"

"Any objections, Lady?"

"HOOOOOOLYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"

Posted by Ant

"FINAL FANTASY XIV WTF" ... "oh it's online, whatever"

Nintendo's conference was very professional but boring as Hell in between game trailers. I wasn't surprised by the lack of Wii Zelda. They're saving that for after the Marios and Metroid are out, I guess. I was surprised by Golden Sun DS and Metroid, though. Awesomeness.

By contrast, sony's conference seemed like a jumbled mess thrown together by people who'd never been in front of a camera before, but they actually had interesting stuff to do. I like how they demonstrated the Wii Motion + better than Nintendo did. Too bad for them that it's going to have to come in three different packages: 1. for people who don't have any ps3 hardware at all, 2. for people who have a ps3 but no eyetoy, 3. for people who have a ps3 and an eyetoy. In the end it's just a Wii Motion + with no Nunchuck though, so they'll still lag far behind Nintendo just as Microsoft will.

Posted by Fate

I approve of this Sony conference.

Posted by Red

couldn't the title of this thread have just been E3 2009?

haven't really looked much into it this year but there's a few games that interest me, like brutal legend, or FFXIII.

I also think I lost some respect for rockband, after announcing the beatles edition. not just because of my dislike for the beatles but because of the fact they're falling guitar hero's gayness by making games revolving around one band. I never liked that, and always thought it was a dumb idea.

EDIT: oh yeah and Golden sun DS ftw! :P

Posted by Speedfreak

Lots of titles Nintendo could've shown off but didn't, like Monster Hunter and Sin and Punishment. Odd, guess they didn't have time.

Lol @ Microsoft and Sony's s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]itty attempts at motion control. Cameras man, Jesus.

Posted by Ant

Natal looks a lot better than the Eyetoy thing. The interface uses alone are fairly impressive.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah Sony's is lolshit, but it can be upgraded with a firmware update to Natal level.

Posted by coromoro

I was really surprised with Nintendo's conference today. I thought Golden Sun would be gone forever, but man, it's back. New Metroid?! Wow. Super Mario Galaxy 2?! I was not expecting that. FF:CB?! Startin' to look pretty good! New Wario Ware where you get to make your own games?! Oh man. New Super Mario Bros. Wii with a co-op mode?! I've wanted something like that in a while! Only now do I realize what a great conference that was. It seemed boring a bit boring at the time, as Prince Shondronai said.

Yeah, I'm excited about Nintendo again. As for the 360, MGS should be sweet (with Raiden, woo), I'm curious about FFXIII and Alan Wake looks interesting. OH! And being the big Beatles' fan that I am, I am pretty da[b]m
n excited about The Beatles: Rock Band.

I'm excited.

Edit: Oh, and I agree with Speedy here. What the hell was wrong with the audience?[/b]

Posted by Stalolin

why did you guys invite me to some chat i wasn't even awake jesus my sleep schedule is ****ed up i am usually in bed until like 1 or 2 wow i should really fix that it is not healthy at all

Posted by Ant

you were online, thought you might enjoy the discussion.

Posted by Speedfreak

I figure Nintendo wins for best surprise. Who the hell expected Metroid Gaiden?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;943936]I figure Nintendo wins for best surprise. Who the hell expected Metroid Gaiden?their conference was alright but very content-light compared to sony and microsoft. not gonna diss them though because golden sun ds, mario galaxy 2 and metroid gaiden are pretty much the best things they could deliver short of their zelda reboot

Posted by Speedfreak

I don't mean overall, just the award for best surprise.

Also, I figure they're not done yet. Miyamoto hasn't appeared. They might do like they did when they unveiled Brawl and do it after the conference.

Just watched the Sony motion controller demo. Um, it's kind of way better than 360s since it has, you know, buttons on it? Why does everyone think 360's is better? Not having a controller is a DISADVANTAGE.

Speaking for a second as someone interested in the business side of things, Nintendo clearly won. They've got their strategy mapped out, they actually know what the hell they're doing. The degree to which they appeal to so many different markets is impressive. They're not just throwing a bone to the casuals, they're attacking all the different markets with some pretty impressive software. And they're the only ones who know how to present. Jesus, someone buy some public speaking skills for the Microsoft and Sony guys. I'M TOTALLY...STOKED ABOUT MY PALM TREE. YOU CAN...UM, THROW A FIREBALL?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;943943]Just watched the Sony motion controller demo. Um, it's kind of way better than 360s since it has, you know, buttons on it? Why does everyone think 360's is better? Not having a controller is a DISADVANTAGE.me and vamp had this very discussion yesterday so for once we agree with you, old people are gonna be standing around shouting 'WHERE DO I STAND?! WHAT DO I SAY?!' and ****. not gonna work without a tangible interfacer

Posted by Speedfreak

Microsoft's tech is way better, but technology is just a means to an end. If you can achieve that end without a super high res camera then you earn my respect and probably get my money (since its cheaper).

Obviously Sony can't do their facial recognition stuff, but outside of molesting virtual children what practical purpose does that serve? It seems really weird that Microsoft didn't think of how you could play an FPS with their controller.

Still, the Wii remote's the best.

Posted by Speedfreak

New Wii Zelda. Out next year. Wii Motion Plus might be necessary.

Hope it's not as crap as Twilight Princess. Apparantly the graphics look similar, possibly the same Link.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

where are you getting this

Posted by Speedfreak

Nintendo roundtable liveblogging.

"Shows new illustration for the next Zelda for Wii. Nothing to show yet, but it shows an adult link. More grown up than ever before."

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210517/miyamoto-e3-2009-roundtable-live-blog-now-live

Posted by maian

I'm actually proud of Nintendo this year. Maybe they realized what a horrible, horrible *** awful fail they were last year and took things up a notch. They actually appealed to their core gamers this year, and I mean really appealed. I mean, it's one thing to revive old franchises like Golden Sun and make a sequel for SMG, but it's another to actually team up with a third party developer and deliberately make a mature, story driven Metroid game. oh lawd

Posted by Speedfreak

Most of the stuff theyve talked about here they wouldve started work on 2 years ago, some even longer. It's not really a case of them going "this year we really need to do a good E3 guys!". It's just where the chips fall that determines whether it's a good year or not.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Totally getting Modnation Racing. It'd be nice to have a new kart racer.

Posted by coromoro

Oh, and what's up with the Vitality Sensor? I keep trying to think of ideas of how it could be used, but I can only come up with games like Wii Fit so it can measure your heart rate.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=coromoro;944012][COLOR=limegreen]Oh, and what's up with the Vitality Sensor? I keep trying to think of ideas of how it could be used, but I can only come up with games like Wii Fit so it can measure your heart rate.[/COLOR]- torture game

- trauma center 3

- lie detector

Posted by Speedfreak

Some kind of health-related game where your heart rate is used as a metric. Duh.

Bio Tetris for the N64 sped the game up in time with your pulse, so you needed to force yourself to calm down in order to keep the game moving at a manageable pace, or speed your heart rate up in order to challenge yourself.

And this just about closes out E3 for me:
http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2009/castlevania/

Or has Sega not had their conference yet? I've got to see their stuff, too.

Posted by Fate

That sword bit they showed in Sony's conference left me stunned. I want to play Zelda like that. So far all we've got is motion-triggered animations... Doesn't sit will with me. I was excited to see all the new games from the Microsoft and Sony conferences-- and that new Metroid game (Wii still has button disadvantage but I have high hopes). It wasn't the most exciting E3 ever but it was still pretty nice.

Miyamoto said the new Zelda might require Wii Motion +. I can't imagine the game requiring that peripheral, and then not having 1:1 sword controls.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Fate;944111][COLOR=skyblue]That sword bit they showed in Sony's conference left me stunned. I want to play Zelda like that. So far all we've got is motion-triggered animations... Doesn't sit will with me. I was excited to see all the new games from the Microsoft and Sony conferences-- and that new Metroid game (Wii still has button disadvantage but I have high hopes). It wasn't the most exciting E3 ever but it was still pretty nice.[/COLOR]

*** IT'S LIKE YOURE IGNORING WII MOTION PLUS ON PURPOSE.

Metroid might use the classic controller, which is easily the best traditional controller anyway.

[quote=Speedfreak]*** IT'S LIKE YOURE IGNORING WII MOTION PLUS ON PURPOSE.

Yeah, that's the best part, Speedfreak. By the time sony's motion controller comes out, Nintendo's Wii Motion +'ll have half a dozen games in any given genre that sony debuts it with. I'm praying for a sequel to Dragon Warrior Swords.

Posted by Speedfreak

How about just a full Dragon quest game with the battle system replaced with something like Dragon Quest swords? Dragon Quest needs to be an action game at some point.

Not as long as the Japanese fans have access to pitchforks and torches, apparently. You remember what happened when Squeenix tried to do that with IX.

Posted by maian

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Yeah, that's the best part, Speedfreak. By the time sony's motion controller comes out, Nintendo's Wii Motion +'ll have half a dozen games in any given genre that sony debuts it with. I'm praying for a sequel to Dragon Warrior Swords.

Probably because the Wiimote is the primary controller for Nintendo's system, where as Sony's device isn't. That's a given. :cookie: I was actually extremely impressed By Sony's demo. It showed us the versatility of 1:1 that we didn't really see in Nintendo's demo (Although I have no doubt that the WMP can do all of that and more). Honestly though, I'll probably never buy one because I doubt Sony will ever really use it for hardcore games. I foresee more of an Eyetoy future. In that regard, I think Nintendo should've done a better job showing off WMP, rather than just showing Wii Sports Resort. Sony used some dumb demo that wasn't even a real game and it outshone the WMP for me. =/ Shame, since I know the WMP will be a much better and much more used peripheral.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;944177]I was actually extremely impressed By Sony's demo. It showed us the versatility of 1:1 that we didn't really see in Nintendo's demo

That's because Nintendo did their crappy tech demo last year:

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acND4sO3pJs[/URL]

Now they have actual games to show it off. Hell, they showed actual game software the day after this tech demo went up, in their E3 conference. They're years ahead.

I agree that sony did a great job demonstrating their tech, though. However, the only thing the Wii Motion + can't do is map items to your hand through a camera, which looks cool for a minute or two, but is essentially useless gameplay-wise.

Posted by maian

Yeah, I'm fully confident Wii Motion Plus will dominate both Sony's hardware and Natal, I just think they didn't show enough to make me truly impressed. This isn't much of an issue for me personally, because I pretty much know what it'll be able to do, but I'm not sure if every other person will feel the same.

Posted by Fate

Ditto, I wasn't impressed with what little we were shown. There's no point in me discussing anything serious here, so I'll leave thoughts be. I am hoping that because Sony created that motion technology that they will utilize it fully if only to show off-- with big-name developer support, too. I was surprised at the demo, honestly.

If Motion + is used well on something other than just Nintendo/second-party games then we've got something going here. I just don't see FPSs done on the Wii successfully and be good titles. When I saw Sony's demo where that dude was shooting the gun, I wanted to play immediately. Immediately.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm willing to bet Nintendo gets to a motion-controlled FPS faster than Sony does. Real software is what counts, tech demos are just a p[COLOR=lightgreen]i[/COLOR]ssing contest.

I swear it still sounds like you guys ignored the link I posted. Why would they show their tech demo again?

Posted by Fate

I said well.

Posted by Speedfreak

Wait, you think the shooting demo was a good demonstration of an FPS? Where he literally just has a floating gun with sound effects but doesn't actually shoot anything? That made you want to play?

What?

Agreed. That part of the demo had nothing on Red Steel, let alone Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Posted by Speedfreak

It had nothing on anything, it wasn't even a gun demo. He was waving a prop around.