Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

I know this really belongs in 'General Gaming' as it is a multi-format game, but I've played the Gamecube version and own an XBox copy, and I can definitley say the XBox's version is superior in many ways. It's the best stealth game I have played by far. I was a big fan of the first, but avoided 'Pandora Tomorrow' because of claims that it was a simple expansion on the original. The atmosphere is spot on for the most part, and the gadgets are at least five steps ahead of anything I've used in Metal Gear Solid.

The only problem I have with the game is the anti-climax towards the end. The Seoul level was immense- perfect mood and setting, and I thought as this was one of the last levels in the game, it would be building up for something spectacular. Don't read the next paragraph if you hate spoilers (no matter how weak the plot in Chaos Theory is :P)

--SPOILER WARNING--
[color=#666666]After Seoul, the game reverted back to simple interior levels, and although the Shetland showdown/boss situation was done as well as a boss battle in Splinter Cell could be, it still felt a bit lacking. And the ending to the very last level was disappointing to da MAX. I don't want to watch the bad guy I've chased across three continents commit suicide behind 3 inch thick glass and then drag him to safety! I want to shoot him![/COLOR]

XBox Live play is fantastic. I had heard good things, but wasn't expecting this. Co Op is fantastic, and I think it's great how the developers haven't just slapped two chararcters into the Single Player maps and added an extra guard or two. Spies VS Mercs has been improved a lot, too, and I don't feel so bad about being a mercenary anymore. I recommend anyone with multiple consoles to get the XBox version- not only are the levels larger and more detailed, but online play is fantastic. Rivalled only by Halo 2.

Posted by Axis

I have this game and it absolutely rocks. I love playing it online with all my friends too. Definitely the best out of the 3.

Posted by loony636

What's the difference between the Gamecube and Xbox versions?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting loony636: What's the difference between the Gamecube and Xbox versions?

The Gamecube and PS2 version's levels have been downsized, textures have had to been dumbed down, and the lighting system is different. The reduced stages become really apparent in Co Op, where you spend more time making space for each other than working on the mission. Also, you'll be missing out on the tremendous Live features.

Posted by Dexter

I got it for my Xbox but I haven't given it much time. I suppose I will be able to give it more time this Friday. My friend has been playing it lately and she really seems to be enjoying it, but from what I see, it looks rather bland.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Dexter: I got it for my Xbox but I haven't given it much time. I suppose I will be able to give it more time this Friday. My friend has been playing it lately and she really seems to be enjoying it, but from what I see, it looks rather bland.

Some of the missions are pretty uninventive- mainly those that revert back to the original 'sneak through corridor' schemes. But I find that the outdoor sections, such as New York City, Seoul, and the Japanese mansion are fantastic- the atmosphere is great, and sneaking in new enviroments, not used before in the stealth genre, pretty interesting. The Bank mission, although indoors for the most part, is fantastic.

Posted by Dexter

It just looks as though the pace moves incredibly slowly. For some reason, doing missions has gotten repetitive and has been taking a lot of the satisfaction away from games, in my personal opinion. Sneaking around and doing those missions doesn't seem to offer me much replay value. At least not from what I have been experiencing lately. See, in Goldeneye 007 for Nintendo 64, there were plenty of interesting missions along with fast-pace action that didn't get laborious. I suppose it may have to do with the fact that Goldeneye was probably the first game I played that incorporated such a mission mode into the game play. It was exceedingly enjoyable. Of course, I can't give much of a justifiable opinion on a game I have not put much time towards.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Dexter: It just looks as though the pace moves incredibly slowly. For some reason, doing missions has gotten repetitive and has been taking a lot of the satisfaction away from games, in my personal opinion. Sneaking around and doing those missions doesn't seem to offer me much replay value. At least not from what I have been experiencing lately. See, in Goldeneye 007 for Nintendo 64, there were plenty of interesting missions along with fast-pace action that didn't get laborious. I suppose it may have to do with the fact that Goldeneye was probably the first game I played that incorporated such a mission mode into the game play. It was exceedingly enjoyable. Of course, I can't give much of a justifiable opinion on a game I have not put much time towards.

I'm not saying it's anywhere near as good as the majesty of Goldeneye. (Which was actually one of the first games to incorporate true 'stealth' into it, after all) You don't have to play the game at a slow pace, but using the submachine gun and gadgets is much harder. CT obviously isn't a game for everyone, though.

Posted by Dexter

Oh, I wouldn't expect it to even come close to mastering the brilliance of Goldeneye 007. I was just using it as an example, I suppose. They have a huge difference. From what I have seen and the way I imagine Splinter Cell, I expect very little. Also, I have played the two previous Splinter Cell titles, so I guess I have those forgettable adventures in the back of my mind telling me not to expect much.