Are Games Becoming Too Easy?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

It only dawned on me a few weeks ago, but it seems that recently, quite a lot of games have become too easy. I don't know if this is due to my skill with games growing through time, or developers genuinely toning down difficulty levels.

One of the biggest disappointments recently was the Wind Waker, which I finished without dying even once. I remember ALTTP, where I would die at least twice per dungeon. The only games that have challenged me recently are Chaos Theory and Astro Boy. Even on Normal with Splinter Cell, I found myself challenged, and don't get me started on Astro Boy's hard more.

Sometimes an easy game actually leads to a more pleasant experience, I know, but wouldn't it be nice if some of the biggest games at least let you set the difficulty yourself?

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

have you ever played Ninja Gaiden on the xbox!?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: have you ever played Ninja Gaiden on the xbox!?
Yes. :(

I didn't even bother with hard more. I got about three-quarterway through Normal and then left it in a corner until the day it was due back to the rental shop. I admit there are some exceptions to my case. =P

Posted by D.J Cat

Yeah, I think in general games are becoming easier.

Unfortunatley gaming in general has become more mainstream so the developers will make more money by making easy games that the attention span lacking kids can beat easy.

Posted by Bubblez

[QUOTE=The X]...
One of the biggest disappointments recently was the Wind Waker, which I finished without dying even once. I remember ALTTP, where I would die at least twice per dungeon. The only games that have challenged me recently are Chaos Theory and Astro Boy. Even on Normal with Splinter Cell, I found myself challenged, and don't get me started on Astro Boy's hard more.
...QUOTE]

I haven't played Wind Waker so I can't tell how difficult or easy it is but LTTP wasn't that hard. I'm replaying it at the moment and it has a comfortable difficulty level, it could even be a bit harder. I don't think the dungeons are that hard (ok, I'm only right at the beginning of the Shadow World), I played for maybe 3 hours without dieing once.

Posted by Black_Wolf

Yea, I kinda agree in some ways. I flew through God of War and Resident Evil 4 and I wouldn't say that they were overwhelmingly challenging. God of War does come with a God Mode you can play through, but I'm in no hurry to do that b/c I started doing it and it just seemed like the enemies attacked for more damage and I attacked for less...kinda dumb if you ask me.

But I think that prolly gaming experience does have a lot to do with the ease of games these days. I've been playing games since the NES hardcore and I recognize things in games that are similar and I naturally pick up on games rather quickly. I think that was one of the joys in childhood was beating a game b/c it took FOREVER! So I think its both the games and the gamers who have changed in difficulty as of late.

Posted by Dexter

I think games are much easier today than they used to be. I tend to get a more difficult challenge playing some of my NES games, such as Ghost 'N Goblins, Battletoads, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than I do with some of my newer Game Cube titles. Although newer games do have side plots that usually add a greater challenge. In Nightfire 007, for instance, the game was undemanding and rather straightforward, but getting the platinum rewards afterwards is intensely difficult. I have yet to finish the task, honestly. Though I am sure it is still easier than Battletoads was. I was proud of myself after defeating that game.

Posted by Jak Pattinson

it dpends really, on how long you've been playing games. people who were used to tetris everyday, would proabbly find something like wind waker pretty hard. the more you get used to a specific type of game/genre, the easirer it becomes. need for speed 2 was so easy, even on hard mode. i couldn't even get passed race 87 on the previous need for speed. i've only been playing games for a little while, and so far, they've all been easy. i'd say that older games were harder, but only because people put more effort into it back then. developers are probably running low on ideas.

Posted by Speedfreak

Considering I died straight away on Yoshi Touch and Go, no, games are not getting easier. We're just getting used to the same style of games.

Posted by Dexter

Quoting buddha: HA! yeah I remember battle toads. Me and my younger sis finished it .....................buuuuuuuuut only on my pc which could save at any stage which made it that BIG bit easier.

I have to admit, I used my Game Genie towards the end when I finally reached the final level. I didn't want to travel through the entire game over and over again until I finally mastered the final level completely. Once I did, however, I went through the game entirely, without the use of a Game Genie. I still feel a little guilty about it, but it was essential to master the game quicker. I can venture through that game straightforwardly, now.

Satisfyingly enough, I beat Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Battletoads in the same summer. Those were two of the most difficult games I have ever mastered.

Posted by Pit

Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Devil May Cry 1 and 2, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Megaman Zero 1 - 3, Ikaruga, Ninja Gaiden, Resident Evil 4, God of War, The FF titles... no, I think games are just as challeging as ever. If not, even more.

Posted by Shade

Quoting Speedfreak: Considering I died straight away on Yoshi Touch and Go, no, games are not getting easier. We're just getting used to the same style of games.

Agreed. All I really play now are RPG's on my GBA. And they've all become incredibly easy, even Golden Sun: The Lost Age on hard mode. Because as you get accumstomed to a certain genre or type of game, the more you realize what you have to do in order to progress.

Posted by Vampnagel P. Wingpire

That's true, but RPG's aren't generally difficult anyhow.

I couldn't say if most games are easier to complete now then years ago, as I don't play a wide variety of genres. But I do remember some of the games on the NES were very difficult to beat.

Posted by Boner

Games aren't becoming easier. I think kids are just becoming more '1337'.

Posted by Axis

So far the hardest thing I've ever played is either Ninja Gaiden, or playing Conkers Bad Fur Day multiplayer and setting it the AI to Einstein.

Posted by Random

Ninja Gaiden is extremley hard... Way too hard haha. Barely able to play through. But a lot of games are fairly easy now adays. But there are some that are extreme.

Posted by bazariah

i'd say about 90% of games are easier these days... most games can be completed with no hassle in one sitting, allthough there are exceptions, mainly in the case of gradius V on the ps2, that game is a pure nightmare

i did prefer the old days though, when it would take weeks to master a game, and the fun factor was allways there

Posted by Pit

Quoting bazariah: i'd say about 90% of games are easier these days... most games can be completed with no hassle in one sitting, allthough there are exceptions, mainly in the case of gradius V on the ps2, that game is a pure nightmare

i did prefer the old days though, when it would take weeks to master a game, and the fun factor was allways there

Gradius V? Great game, but if you like that and that challenge, you're definately gonna love Ikaruga for the cube.

Posted by Looski

I believe both old and new had good and bads. Like windwakers I thought was really enjoyable, the game is mainly puzlles with some bosses thrown in. RPGs are about the experience. I think u just want the certain number of lives thing in the old games, u know when u get to the last level with 1 life left, then die.

Posted by bazariah

Quoting Pit: Gradius V? Great game, but if you like that and that challenge, you're definately gonna love Ikaruga for the cube.

allready got it :D (had it since about mid 2003), and radiant silvergun too.. i love treasures titles

Posted by William

I'm not too sure, but overall, I suppose they are getting a bit easier.

A lot of the newer games can be rented and completed in one night. Take "Enter the Matrix" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" for example. While, some of the newer games, are a tad bit challenging at times - mainly RPGs though. The Max Payne series is pretty **** difficult at times as well.

Posted by Arczu

I'll say this: RPG's have stirred away from that whole "If you can't beet it, then level up some more" ordeal a lot better. For example, if you did that in FF8, you would go through a HELL of a lot harder foes if you were level 90 at disk 3. My friends did that, and they are getting whooped by T-Rexes and some baser enemies.

Maybe some of the games were toned down a bit. But then again: a lot of new-age gamers would be turned off a lot easier if most of the games were Ninja Gaiden-hard. It might actually affect the business a bit...

Posted by Pit

Quoting William:
A lot of the newer games can be rented and completed in one night. Take "Enter the Matrix" and "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" for example

What do you expect from movie based titles? Like a deep and involving game? Every movie/TV show based title I've played can be easily beaten in 2 - 4 hours, on hard mode.

Original games though, with a storyline that is excluded from movies, let's say, Ninja Gaiden, are very long, difficult, and give you this great feel of satisfaction after you beat it.

Posted by The Dark Harmonixer

Gamers of today are not the same as gamers of yesterday,they have it easy these days which is not good,the diffculty and challenge of games these days is mediocre and low,we had to make our way the hard way,games were hard and had challenge when I started as a gamer,there are still gamers today that know that being a gamers it's not have it easy and they sharpen their skills to be good,but it's hard with games like they are today,it's really not their fault.