Awakening

Posted by Near

The world around him was silent, and darkness clouded his vision. How long had it been
since he saw the light? Days, Months, Years? His guess was as good as yours or mine,
yet on this day he stirred from a slumber of unknown length.

His muscles were sore, tight from lack of use. His eyes strained to open, squinting at the
dim light off into the distance. Slowly he made his way through the seemingly endless
passageway, emerging into the light of late afternoon, the sun already making its way to
the horizon. His clothing worn, his dark blue hair a mess, and his body feeble looking.
It was clear his time spent asleep was quite lengthy, yet his wits had dulled none.

As he stood at the open mouth of a large cavern, gazing at the setting sun, he could sense
the presence of another...

Posted by KluE

OoC: Alright, so Im kinda recycling the arena from a battle with luna about a month ago. The battle never really got anywhere, and even if/when it does, the type of thing we're doing doesnt seem like its gonna really used the arena that I had envisioned anyway, so I hope ya dont mind!

Edgar's lungs drew deep the thick jungle air, the last rays of sun beat down on the damp ground. Fog rose like a choking blanket over the landscape, dulling sight and senses without prejudice.Vines encroached on the ruins of a temple behind him, the beautiful lines of engineering blurred beneath swaths of greens and blues. Shadows brought the few exposed faces to life as the pinks and reds of the setting sun danced with the voids in the stone. It had been washed over by time; the jungle had reclaimed it.

Whoever had built the temple had long since vanished, but Edgar couldn't help but feel they had built it in that spot for a reason. He could feel it as well, palpable in the air, yet untouchable, something pulsed through his veins when he stood on this ground. Did he choose this place because it was sacred? Or was it sacred because he had chosen this place? He twirled the idea playfully in his mind as he contemplated it, like a schoolboy hearing a riddle for the first time. A slight smile crossed his face in anticipation; this was a night to be remembered. Edgar was sure of it.

He allowed himself a few minutes to enjoy the feeling, a connoisseur of war drawing out the flavor of the moment, savoring it while he had the chance. The deep sorrow that echoed in his soul would be quieted for that eternal second at the beginning of battle, when the scale of war can tilt either way, and the only truth is still found in each participants uncertainty. He strolled to the edge of his perch, taking his time. He peered over, seeing only the tousled blue hair of the yawning figure at the cave floor.

"Psst."

The sound escaped his mouth like a snake teasing its prey. Edgar tilted his head in a gesture that said 'follow me' as soon as he had the man's attention. He walked away calling over his shoulder as he did.

"Looks like you could use a warm-up!"

He walked twenty yards and turned, splitting the distance from the temple steps and the cave mouth. Edgar stood motionless, except for his eyes. They followed the droplets of water as they fell, caressing the wall of rock that had worn away under it's gentle pressure. He took it all in; the rainbow cast by the setting sun as it gave up its hold on the day, the pounding of the waterfall as it's violent fall was ended by the basin it had carved at its bottom, the crisp smell of fog as it mingled with the slight smell of rotting wood the jungle gave off. His feet sank into the dead foliage on the ground.

His mind was at peace, freeing his body to go to war.

OoC: sorry for the delay, I just havent had the time, and when I have, I really havent had the inspiration. I started writing this about five times, and each time got so frustrated that I stopped, haha. But, I'm happy with this (for the most part; I introduced the waterfall with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, but I really wanted it there :-P), so I figured I wouldn't push my luck, and let you have first strike, or a chance to introduce your character further; whichever you prefer.

Posted by Near

OoC: Alright, I have an idea of what the area around us is like. So I will just wait on you to finish up your post, no rush, and once thats done I will go ahead and edit my post here with my next piece.

IC:

Who was this person? My mind drew blanks, but my eyes told me I had seen this man before. The way he carried himself reminded me of a graceful dancer, seeming to walk on air and glide with the wind. The weight of his words hung in the air, the message was clear. This man intended to due me harm.

I tried to hide the excitement I felt, but I knew my face betrayed me. I could feel the corners of my mouth lift upward to form the hint of a demonic smile. The adrenaline had already started to pump its way through my veins. 'Calm yourself,' my inner voice declared as I stood upright and took a few steps toward my new friend.

"A warm-up sounds like fun, but let us not be so informal. My name is Necronius Gariell, but you may simply call me Necro. If you would be so kind as to give me your name..."

I let my words hang in the air, my eyes fixating on the man before me. His eyes had that look of a predator, a killer, and with that, I yearned for a fight worthy of my awakening.

Posted by KluE

Edgar’s attention flicked to his right, the silhouette of a hawk was painted in the sky by the setting sun. He watched; completely enthralled and unaware of the man that had walked up to him, focusing his sight to the hunter in the sky as it bore down on its prey. In a split second, it was over; the hawk had come down on its unfortunate victim like a comet, striking with an intensity that can only be borne through desperation.

“Call me Edgar.”

He said, his mind snapping back to the task at hand. The setting sun filtered through the tree’s, igniting Necro’s head into a haze of sapphire, and casting long shadows across each warrior.

Edgar sunk his foot deep into the rotting ground, and was off like a shot. His shoulder caught Necro in the chest, Edgar’s body laid out horizontally behind it. He twirled in the air, taking the ferocity out of the impact of the ground, but ensuring that he would end up on top. Edgar rained down blows on the prostrate Necro; an older brother beating on a sibling, it was more playful than vicious, he struck blow after blow into Necro’s oblique’s. He waited until Necro was just about to flip over before dismounting and running away a couple paces towards the top of the cave mouth.

He turned to face Necro, panting, with a wicked smile showing through the breathing, and adrenaline flashing behind his eyes.

Posted by Near

I began to pick myself off the ground as I kept my eyes fixated on Edgar. He had
given me no warning, throwing himself into the fight without hesitation. This would
prove to be an evening full of testosterone at its highest levels, and I began to
shake with anticipation.

I allowed my rapid breathing to slow to a more controlled pace as I played several
scenarios through my head. My mind was a blur of so many ways I could approach
Edgar in an attempt to break through his defense and make contact with his body.
In just a second or two I had made my decision.

I started out with a light jog as I closed the distance between Edgar and myself,slowly
building speed until my body was moving fast enough to allow myself to propel off the
ground and into a somersault. My right leg extended out as I came crashing back to
the earth, attempting to land a blow to either of Edgar's shoulders, or with any luck,
his head. However my plan was ruined as Edgar lifted both arms to absorb most of the
blow.

It was not without sacrifice though. As my leg came crashing down, I could feel his
knees give way ever so slightly, giving me the opprotunity to use my own momentum
to fall back to the ground and send my right fist crashing into his chest, causing him
to stagger backwards a few feet.

Posted by KluE

[color=blue] He caught his feet beneath him, first the right, then the left as the momentum pushed him backwards. Inertia under control, Edgar began his advance again; still the smile was pasted across his face, but the air of playfulness was slowly fading, replaced by an edge of menace. His eyes narrowed, pupils dilated, breath got short as he struck his first blow. A left hook, smashing into place as Edgar threw it, turning from his hips, keeping his elbow and shoulder locked, his entire torso pushing it. The blow fell upon Necro

Posted by Near

OoC: Still waiting man, just thought I'd reply in case this reply got shuffled down the list of things you have to do.

Posted by Near

OoC: Now I must apologize for the wait. I knew you had finally edited your post, it just took me till now to get up a reply. Perhaps we can both be more timely with our responses so that we can keep interest in this bout.

IC:

I hunched over as I attempted to regain my composure. The air was absent from my lungs and I tried desperately to breath in through my mouth with short, rapid contractions of my lungs. I held my hand up in an attempt to signal Edgar to give me a moment. His attacks were swift and sharp, leaving no question in regards to his strength.

When I had finally regained my composure after just a few short seconds, I could once again feel the adrenaline take hold over my body. My arms and legs began to shake, as if they were itching to attack. I raised my head and gave Edgar a smile, as if to complement him on his previous attack. Now it was my turn.

I pushed off the ground with all the strength my legs could offer and ran towards Edgar with a sense of determination. He was already positioned to counter a head-on attack, which is why I made a quick dash to the left, and then the right. I made the same move two or three times attempting to throw Edgar slightly off balance, and before his eyes had a chance to catch up with me on my last cross over, I had already sent my body into an aerial move allowing my right shin to come crashing down into the base of his neck.

The sound of the blow was sickening, leaving one to believe that bones had been broken, or muscles torn, but there was no way to be sure. Edgar was strong enough in his own right and would be able to recover from such an attack. Although you would not be able to tell as much by the way his body lay sprawled out across the jungle floor.

I took a few steps back to allow Edgar time to recover.

Posted by KluE

Hey, sorry about the wait! I'll have a post up in the next couple days. I already have one written, its just that for the past week or two I've been battling a little bout of insomnia, so I can barely speak, let along write down a coherent thought. Anyway, like I said, I have a post written, but, unfortunately, it looks as if it's been written by a fifth grader, so im going to hold onto it until I have a chance to rewrite the entire thing, which should be in the next couple days!