Anyone Still Writing?

Posted by Near

Is there anyone around here who is still writing?

Posted by KluE

Im still trying, but this board seems to be in its death throes. Anyway, I check back here pretty regularly, so im down to pound out some writing, if you are.

That is you, Necro, right?

Posted by S

Hey Necro. Yeah, I'm still around, though my simming has been postponed for now due to me starting my manuscript.

Posted by Near

I am pretty sure this area here has been in its death throes for quite some time now, haha. But I am glad to see some people are still around, and yeah, its Necro, and I am looking to do a little writing if you are interest KluE.

What are you writing up Solrok?

Posted by S

Sar's story; large fantasy novel based in Norse mythology, heavily based in Sim, but laying a lot of it to waste for cohesiveness sake.

How've you been?

Posted by Near

Sounds interesting man. If you want anyone to take a look at parts of it, I'll be more than happy to read some of it over and tell you what I think. Only if you want though.

Anyways, I've been good, just taking it easy until August. I graduated from college in December, and I am going back to work on my masters in the Fall. So basically I have a lot of free time right now, which is why I am looking to put some pen to paper.

I am actually in the process of writing a Sci-Fi novel right now ( I say novel, not sure how long it will end up being), based around some characters I have used before. I could have just as easily gone the Fantasy route, but I feel like if I had, I would have ended up writing in the style I used to back when I did a lot of Siming, which is not what I wanted for this piece.

Posted by KluE

Alright, yea, I'm willing to do some writing. Just put up a thread, and either put an entrance on the initial post, or I'll put it in the second. As for what you were saying with messing around with styles, Im completely down to mix it up a little bit if your willing to, and maybe do more of a sim/RP fusion and have some fun with it, or if you just wanna do straight sim, or mix it up somehow, just specify in the first post.

Posted by Near

I'll go ahead and put up a thread, so keep an eye out for it. As far as the style goes, whatever will be fine with me. I have always been very open, just as long as the writing stays good. So why don't we just go with whatever and we will see what we come up with as we progress with the bout.

Posted by KluE

sounds good

Posted by Near

Alright KluE, I have posted the thread, 'Awakening'. I'll probably be keeping my posts short for the time being, since I havnt done any sim in quite some time. I'm sure we will still manage to have some fun with this either way.

Oh, and for the sake of progression, I am using Necro as my character. I kind of left my post open for you to arrive and set things up however you want. Also, the area around us can be left up to your own interpretation if you would like. Obviously there is the cavern that Necro has just emerged from, and the setting sun, but thats all i had envisioned so far.

Posted by KluE

Cool. I'll have something up later tonight. Probably around 1am or so.

Posted by KluE

Blah. Alright, so things didnt work out as planned, but things come up. Oh well, I'll have it up later today.

Oh and Luna, I guess the only reason im making this post is for you, because I wanted to add this to my critique of the manuscript that you showed me, since Im not regularly on Aim or anything else that I can communicate with you... or rather, qualify it :

Who are you writing it for? Yourself, or the person reading it?

And, once again, like most of my more eloquent and simple critiques, that comes from someone else as they were reading my work, and it helped me out immensely in my writing. Anyway, I know that this isnt the best place to put this, but it is the only place where I know that you'll see it. So, just let me know when you see this, and I'll delete it afterwards, because I dont feel like it should be up here for long, because it just doesnt feel like the right venue for it. But I did really want you to see it, because that was one of the things I meant to say when we were talking earlier, but I forgot!

Posted by S

Y'know, after speaking with you, I had some time to think and I etched out a few answers to some of your questions, which can basically be answered by answering that.

I'm writing it for myself, yes, and I'm not writing it for any particular audience. I'm writing it as a literary piece, not subjecting it to any audience; if you wanted to pitch my type of story, it'd be considered youth because its action based, and adults aren't as savvy to that. And that's not what I want, I don't want to be another "Twilight" author. I don't want to be an amateur writer with a hit because preteens are in love with it. I want to be an advanced writer that my peers can respect.

My idea of a novel comes from older books, ones that delve deep into literary devices. Littered with different thoughts and ideas that lie beneath the skin, strewn with patterns and complexities that can even take scholars some time to extrapolate upon, if even a few reads and a pen for notes in the margin.

Posted by KluE

Haha, fair enough! But that really wasnt a question you were supposed to answer to me! It's supposed to help you in your writing! Anyway, speaking of, I hope what I've said has helped, and not just turned me into a jerk in your mind, haha. It seems like all GOOD/Effective criticism (and maybe its just the stuff that I think is good) walks the line on coming off as kind of a d!ck about it :-P.

Posted by S

Reformulating an idea you've forgotten never hurts. It just showed me that I can't worry about being too dense in my writing because its earnestly how I want it. Just need to make sure its understandable.

Posted by sauron dark lord

i am still here are you in here my lonely friend?

hello hi answere anyone?

are you their klue?

Posted by KluE

yup.

Posted by Crono

I still exist, if only in the shadows checking in every now and then.

I have so much on my plate with work, preparing to get out of the Marine Corps and get a regular job and go to school, my girlfriend, and trying to maintain 4 to 5 nights a week raiding on WoW with 3 different characters that I haven't touched any writing or drawing for months now.

Posted by Near

Hmm, thats a shame. But I know as well as anyone, you have to do what you have to do, and you don't always have time to do things you enjoy.

Well be sure to let us know if you manage to find some extra free time to do a little writing.

Posted by PaintItBlack

I'm trying to get more writing done, and I might have a little time for these boards if anything that resembles writing is going on here anytime soon.

Posted by S

I'm always around... but still dragging my head through the mud trying to pump out a novel.

Posted by Near

I am still here as well, trying to do a little writing, but I seem to have trouble getting a response from Klue in a timely fashion. What can you do?

Oh, and S

Posted by KluE

Hey now, that sounded a bit spiteful ;-). Yea, my bad, I actually just quit my job, so I dont really have time to sit on the internet, needs to make some money, but Im still trying!

Posted by Near

Its all good, if anyone knows how it goes from time to time, I do. Just do what you gotta do man and we'll pick it back up when you have time again.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

I suppose I've been attempting something lately; I'll assume you can call it "writing", albeit it's for school-related purposes. But hey, I guess the fact that I'm bored as hell/falling asleep in what is apparently an "advanced" English Composition class is a good sign that my writing skills haven't completely died off, yet....RIGHT?

I'm alive, either way. Wouldn't classify myself as "active" yet, but I'd certainly like to be relatively soon. Nobody hold your breath, though; a work in progress, as always.

Posted by Near

Good to see you are alive. I'm trying to do any form of writing I can right now, but school has started, so I will soon find out if grad school will be more work than I want to deal with.

Posted by Chiaroscuro

Quoting Near: Good to see you are alive. I'm trying to do any form of writing I can right now, but school has started, so I will soon find out if grad school will be more work than I want to deal with.

I wrote you a few e-mails a little while back trying to get in touch but there must be something wrong on one end (probably mine) of our communication lines because I know you would've replied to one by now and we've had it happen in the past. I'll give it a go again later tonight; it's still [email]scurix@gmail.com[/email], in case you lost it or anything.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll be in touch soon, but hope all is well.

Posted by Near

All is well, and yeah, I never got any emails. Thats strange. Let me know when you have tried to send another, and if I still don't get it, I will try to email you to see if you get that.