"I like everything"

Posted by Red

I don't know how many times Ive heard someone say that they lkike erythign when it comes to music. I disagree comepletely. no matter who you are, it's nearly impossible to like every genre of music.

I can undertsnad liking bits an pieces of every genre, and/or being open minded bout tmusic, but seriously, you can't like everything. agreed?

Posted by Kutlass

that statement obviously isn't meant to be taken that literally. probably just means they're open to listening to whatever, not necessarily that they're especially fond of absolutely everything they hear. kind of like someone saying "he's everyone's friend." that's impossible in the literal sense, but the expression just means said person is approachable and gets along with most people easily.

Posted by Red

Quoting Kutlass: that statement obviously isn't meant to be taken that literally. probably just means they're open to listening to whatever, not necessarily that they're especially fond of absolutely everything they hear. kind of like someone saying "he's everyone's friend." that's impossible in the literal sense, but the expression just means said person is approachable and gets along with most people easily.

you would think..

but no, the people I've talked to about it said that they literally like everything, maybe it's just that people who line in my hometown are more stupid than normal.

no one else has ever heard anyone say this?

Posted by Richaod

It's a less embarrassing way of saying "I listen to whatever's on the radio", or "I frequently go on LimeWire and download all the songs under A, then put my mistagged mp3s on shuffle".

Also see "I listen to everything but rap and country".

To me it's more a case of you won't like everything, rather than you can't. I like to think that I can appreciate all kinds of music, but discriminate about quality rather than style - and that applies from everything to liking Madonna but not Britney Spears; Metallica but not Trivium etc.

Posted by G-Sides

Quoting Red: no matter who you are, it's nearly impossible to like every genre of music.

says WHO 8-)

Posted by Panic!

Agreed. I listen to a very wide range of music but there are lots of genres and styles of music I don't like. Most country, opera, musicals, etc.

Posted by Fate

I listen to a lot of stuff. I'm not a fan of polka, metal, African/Indian, bagpipe, flutes, and a few select others. Half my iPod music is classical and instrumental music.

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting Red: you would think..

but no, the people I've talked to about it said that they literally like everything, maybe it's just that people who line in my hometown are more stupid than normal.

no one else has ever heard anyone say this?

Explain how these conversations go, It's impossible to like everything. You might have misinterpretated what they said. Or maybe you should stop drinking.

[spoiler]haha[/spoiler]

Posted by coromoro

I've actually heard that from maybe two people... and it kinda bothers me, because it just seems to me like they're trying to be cool or something. Some people are honest and say, "Well, I guess I don't like every type of music," but some actually say, "Yup, I like everything."

Posted by cool gamer dad

you can like everything you hear, you cant hear everything. realistically

Posted by O.T.L

When I hear "I like everything" I see them saying "I like most everything". Slang?

Posted by Shin-Ra

The "I like everything" comment only bothers me because usually when that comment is made I'm trying to make small talk about music with someone I don't know. What sucks is when people ask me what I listen to. I feel like a deer in head lights usually, so I'll usually just say "weird experimental shit". It's not far from the truth though because to most radio listener's ears, the music we find on the internet is experimental and genre names don't matter because a lot of people don't understand the point of reference anyway. I'll say this though, I rarely say "I listen to metal" because most of the "oh, you like metal. well do you like..." comments from people are usually more far off than with any other genre I'd mention, like say punk.

Quoting Richaod: "I frequently go on LimeWire and download all the songs under A, then put my mistagged mp3s on shuffle".

Ha. Hilarious.

Posted by Slade

I have trouble answering the question "What do you listen to?" too. I've used the "experimental/weird ****" answer a few times. Other times I've tried in vain to explain how I'll listen to anything at least once, and enjoy stuff that's really straight-forward as well as abstract stuff. Most times people will latch onto part of what I said and then start talking about bands that I don't like at all as though I should like them according to whatever description I gave them. It's definitely based around the internet barrier that Shin-Ra mentioned. Once you've watched/listened to a guy get a vacuum hose pulled off his dick repeatedly while his buddy rolls on the ground screaming, and liked it, there's no explaining... it has to be felt.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: Ha. Hilarious.

True...