Eath Hour the 3rd

Posted by Supermario

Today (March 28th 2009) at 8:30pm to 9:30pm lights will go out in many cities across the world. This is an effort to try to save some energy all around the world. I think it is a neat idea and I would really like to see how much energy is saved after the hour.

Quoted post: This is Earth Hour, and Saturday is the third annual worldwide event. Earth Hour is both a symbolic act and the start of a practical habit.

Millions of homes and businesses and hundreds of major landmarks will go dark for one hour to show that energy conservation is important and to send this message to political leaders attending the United Nations Climate Change Conference in December 2009.

At the same time, Earth Hour reminds each of us how easy it is to conserve -- just turn off non-essential lights and electronics to reduce our own power consumption.

Lighting accounts for about 11 percent of a typical American home's energy bills, while computers and electronics add another 9 percent. So by shutting off these things when we're not using them, we can lower our load significantly.

[URL="http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/236/flick-your-switch-off-for-earth-hour.html"]Source[/URL]

Question, how many people here think this is a good idea? Do you think it will really work or are there other ways to cut down energy use?:D

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

already past 983:30 pm here had lal my light ons

Posted by Jesse Smith

"It would be so wonderful if we had more lights turned on than turned off!!" - Rush Limbaugh :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJX0-edz1wE

Wanna do harm?? Turn your lights off - Rush Limbaugh :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kglfocCvsN4

Rush is always right. Only environmental wackos will turn their lights off!! :D

Posted by Foppy D

Not-so-ironically I left the lights and the TV on at my house because I live in the ghetto and no one was home today and I didn't want to get robbed.

Posted by Supermario

Ah yes, Rush is never wrong on anything.:D:D

I agree with the point he is trying to make.:D

On the surface the idea of turning out the lights sounds like a good idea. But when it is about taking a stand on "climate change" that's where it goes off to somewhere I don't want to go.

I thought I could save money by using less electricity. Rush says that the state or whatever will raise taxes on electricity if a lot of people use less. How can I save money!?

Quoted post: Not-so-ironically I left the lights and the TV on at my house because I live in the ghetto and no one was home today and I didn't want to get robbed.

That's a good idea. I was thinking about many of the robbers out there who would break into thoes places that would have their lights out. I simply forgot to turn my lights off at that time. I guess Rush would be happy.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Stupid idea. People are AWARE of the energy situation. This stupid stunt won't change that.

Posted by Kutlass

if most of the light fixtures in your house still have traditional incandescent lightbulbs in them, replace them with energy-saving bulbs, then see what a difference is made. the one-second delay that occurs after the switch is flipped is worth the amount you'll save.

actually, we've been considering investing in a windmill, because it's windy at least 90% of the time here. and electricity through the grid is horribly expensive.