GDC 2009

Posted by Linko_16

Surprised no one's talking about any of this at all. Here's a little recap, borrowed from ZP:

- Rhythm Heaven Sequel for DS
- Rock and Roll Climber announced for Wii
- Storage Solution revealed, SDHC storage + direct download and execution from SD
- Final Fantasy: My Life as a Darklord, sequel to My Life as a King announced for WiiWare
- FFIV: The After Years announced for WiiWare
- Final Fantasy I and IV coming to VC
- Wario Ware Snaps and Moving Memo announced for DSiWare
- Virtual Console Arcade announced, 4 games available for service right now
- New Zelda - Zelda: Spirit Tracks

The two biggest things to come out of this are the [url=http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/25/gdc09-nintendo-updates-wii-shop-channel-with-sd-card-channel/
]SDHC[/url], which gives the Wii some external storage space, and Spirit Tracks:

[youtube=auAJGQqmfIs]auAJGQqmfIs[/youtube]

It's pretty disappointing that it's such a superficial sequel to Phantom Hourglass, just substituting the boat for a train (TRAINS DO NOT USE CANNONS), but it could be worthwhile.

Posted by Slade

HIVEMIND (sort of). So yeah there's a Spirit Tracks thread now for whatever.

I'm looking forward to Rhythm Heaven for sure, since the only one I've played was a Japanese version for GBA. Besides that, it'll be interesting to see what they do with FFIV's Early Years, especially since it wasn't too long ago that I beat the DS version.

Posted by maian

I was kind of interested in the FFIV game, then I realized that it's just a port of a Japanese cell-phone game.

GUESS I'M WAITING FOR THE SONY MEETING

Posted by Degeneration

I want to care about Nintendo, but they make it tough nowadays.

Maybe they're waiting until E3 to reveal why 2010 will be THE YEAR OF THE WII or dsi

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

XBOX 360 GETS MOTION-CONTROL AND REMOTE PERIPHERAL

GAMING EVOLVED..... MICROSOFT DOES IT AGAIN!!

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also, how can you be disappointed that ST is a pure sequel to PH. PH owns, in gameplay and in graphix. keep that **** the same so we can get it out quickly and focus more on dungeon design and ****. it will own.

Posted by maian

I'm honestly not really disappointed with ST. It looks like a pretty rad game. My only disappointment would be the lack of traditional controls, but that was a complaint with PH as well. I'm disappointed at the fact that Nintendo's been developing a new Zelda game for at least two years (three now, probably), and we haven't heard so much as a word about it.

I'm sure at this year's E3, the super secret game will be on the verge of being revealed, jets of smoke will cover the stage as the entire room goes dark, and the fog will clear to show...WII ART! And then Zelda Wii will find a way to go yet another year without any kind of announcement.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

bull****, they havent been making a new wii zelda game

just a lie to placate the 3 hardcore nintendo fans still around

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Pfft. If you stopped being a Nintendo fan just because Nintendo's made Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Music, you were never a hardcore Nintendo fan. I on the other hand know that Nintendo is going to come out of this generation with enough capital to arm their next system to the teeth and blow away their competition in technical power and play control. They'll also expand their development houses to the biggest they've ever been so they can put out casual and hardcore games as quickly as they've ever done either alone. In the meantime, the Wii's got another Zelda title coming for it, plus Star Fox and Kirby at the very least, so I'm content.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a new DS Zelda anytime soon. Thought they'd have started working on it only after the DSi hardware was complete so the game'd take advantage of some of its features. Nintendo hasn't botched a Zelda game yet though, in my opinion, so I'm sure Spirit Tracks will be fun. Don't really care for the locomotive concept, but as long as the dungeons are still traditional Zelda-style, that's all that matters.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]Rock and Roll Climber

Why do I have a mental image of a Megaman version of Ice Climbers?

Posted by maian

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Pfft. If you stopped being a Nintendo fan just because Nintendo's made Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Music, you were never a hardcore Nintendo fan. I on the other hand know that Nintendo is going to come out of this generation with enough capital to arm their next system to the teeth and blow away their competition in technical power and play control. They'll also expand their development houses to the biggest they've ever been so they can put out casual and hardcore games as quickly as they've ever done either alone. In the meantime, the Wii's got another Zelda title coming for it, plus Star Fox and Kirby at the very least, so I'm content.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a new DS Zelda anytime soon. Thought they'd have started working on it only after the DSi hardware was complete so the game'd take advantage of some of its features. Nintendo hasn't botched a Zelda game yet though, in my opinion, so I'm sure Spirit Tracks will be fun. Don't really care for the locomotive concept, but as long as the dungeons are still traditional Zelda-style, that's all that matters.

I'm a Nintendo fan on hold. A year or two ago, I would've agreed with this statement 100%. However, it's been Nintendo's tendency these last two yearsish to find what works, and run with it without looking back. The point that they're just "preparing" to blow away their gamers next generation is invalid, because they have more than enough revenue at this point to be able to do that.

Hell, look at PH/ST, Nintendo's supposes "core games". Great Zelda games? Yeah. Fun DS games? Yeah. Would they be much more solid and appealing to core gamers with traditional controls? Yeah. Would they make half as much money that way? No. Even with their greatest franchises, Nintendo's throwing in the casual touch. Nintendo isn't dead to me, but they sure don't mean anything to me until they can prove that there's still something left of what they used to be. Wii Zelda will either be a phenomenal piece of art, or it will be botched for the masses, but left in tact enough for core gamers to say "this is kinda cool I guess."

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Prince Shondronai;936806]Pfft. If you stopped being a Nintendo fan just because Nintendo's made Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Music, you were never a hardcore Nintendo fan. I on the other hand know that Nintendo is going to come out of this generation with enough capital to arm their next system to the teeth and blow away their competition in technical power and play control. They'll also expand their development houses to the biggest they've ever been so they can put out casual and hardcore games as quickly as they've ever done either alone. In the meantime, the Wii's got another Zelda title coming for it, plus Star Fox and Kirby at the very least, so I'm content.hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ****ing lmao

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

*clings to slowly sinking mast*

nintendo's gonna save us guys.... i know it.....

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also, first COD6 trailer:
http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-modern-warfare-2-teaser-released-game-dated-126335.phtml

All I'm saying, Bluntmaster, is that "hardcore Nintendo fan" doesn't mean what you thought it meant. I am a hardcore Nintendo fan. The casual market isn't going to last much longer than it did before the release of the NES and Super Mario Brothers. When that bubble bursts, Nintendo will react quickly enough to continue making boatloads of money in whatever shape the market takes next. It's what they do.

maian, Nintendo's got more than enough money to blow away the hardcore gamers right now, sure, but there's one major thing missing: incentive. The Wii is selling like hotcakes laced with nicotine. Why should they change the formula?

I'm betting that they're smart enough to know that it won't work to just make a "Wii2" with only marginally improved system power, or wait until sony and Microsoft have their own next-gen machines well-prepared. They should see that the people currently snatching up the Wii won't be so easily persuaded to buy a new console with the same old tricks.

Posted by maian

Quoting Prince Shondronai:
maian, Nintendo's got more than enough money to blow away the hardcore gamers right now, sure, but there's one major thing missing: incentive. The Wii is selling like hotcakes laced with nicotine. Why should they change the formula?

I'm betting that they're smart enough to know that it won't work to just make a "Wii2" with only marginally improved system power, or wait until sony and Microsoft have their own next-gen machines well-prepared. They should see that the people currently snatching up the Wii won't be so easily persuaded to buy a new console with the same old tricks.

Except, it will work, because that's how the casual market works. Although comparing the original iPod to the iPod Touch is quite a stretch, every single iPod generation jump has barely improved on its predecessor, yet every single generation has sold like hotcakes.

And uh, even if it doesn't, and the market does change as you said, how can you still call yourself a hardcore Nintendo fan? You're basically saying, "Nintendo's not making games for its fans because they don't care and they don't need to. BUT THEY'RE STILL AWESOME YEAH!" To still call yourself a fan of a company that deliberately ignores the fans that got them through the last generation is ridiculous. Nintendo has more than enough money to pound out all kinds of titles that would make their fans salivate, yet they choose not to, because they don't need to. This is why everyone hates Nintendo right now, and blindly supporting it unconditionally is a joke.

I don't call Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Animal Crossing, WarioWare, WarioLand, and Mario Kart "deliberately ignoring" their fans, maian. I think they're going to have some surprises in store for E3 this year, too, to avoid all of the flak they caught last year.

I was referring to an upgrade in system power that would facilitate more hardcore titles from 3rd-parties as well as more-graphically-impressive versions of their own games. They don't need to do that right now. Soon, but not yet. Also, expanding/adding development houses takes time. You can't train people to make AAA games overnight.

Do all iPod applications/albums cost $50-$60 a pop? You'd see a lot fewer people willing to adopt new models in exchange for their old ones if they did. I will be very surprised and disappointed if Nintendo merely announces an HD Wii with barely the power of an Xbox 360 for their next-gen system. I'm confident that that's not going to happen, though. The next Nintendo system is going to have the power to snatch multiplatform games along with Microsoft and sony, plus contain all of the Wii's casual gizmos and even a few new ones to get the Wii's userbase to upgrade. I'm 99% sure of it.

(Ooo! Post #2012! It's the end of the world!)

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Linko_16;936687][COLOR=indigo]Surprised no one's talking about any of this at all.[/COLOR]

Psst, VGC is dead.

Posted by Aioros

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I on the other hand [SIZE="5"]know[/SIZE]that Nintendo is going to come out of this generation with enough capital to arm their next system to the teeth and blow away their competition in technical power and play control. They'll also expand their development houses to the biggest they've ever been so they can put out casual and hardcore games as quickly as they've ever done either alone.

[COLOR="Yellow"]No you don't.[/COLOR]

Posted by Degeneration

Nintendo's E3 is gonna be interesting but it's for the wrong reason.

PS3/360: So, how do the companies plan to raise the bar with this year's announcements? Wii: So, should I dust this thing off yet?

Quoting Aioros: [COLOR="Yellow"]No you don't.[/COLOR]

Why? Did they invest in AIG or something? If you think Nintendo's going to be in financial trouble anytime soon:

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

AN IMAGE MACRO

WHOA, SOMEONE JUST ENTERED THE OWN ZONE

Posted by Fate

My boyfriend is currently attending GDC. We're following it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

why arent you there

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

he's probably ****ing a booth babe right now... in his hotel room... throwin sample discs on her boobies and showerin her in gamerfuel mmmmmmm big boss owns

Posted by Fate

The fact that he's actually a game designer might attribute to the fact that I'm not there. I'm not in that field.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

isnt he allowed to bring people with him?

heh, how convenient that you couldnt be there... big boss prolly wining and dining jade 'the tits' raymond right now

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

KOTAKU - THE GAMER'S GUIDE
27 MARCH 2009

CliffyB, Jade Raymond and unnamed developer caught in threesome in Satoru Iwata's suite
more>>

Posted by Fate

He had to pay for his own trip there since he was going independently, away from his studio. I couldn't afford the trip and somehow I don't think I would appreciate it as much as the money. I wouldn't even spend money to go to something super commercial, like E3. I also don't expect him to pay for my tickets to entertainment unless it's something cheap, like a movie.

He's coming back tomorrow. Not sure if he'll update here, but he posts in his developer journal a lot (closed off to the public).

Posted by Ant

GDC was pretty boring this year anyways.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

NOT FOR BIG BOSS

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting BLUNTMASTER X: isnt he allowed to bring people with him?

heh, how convenient that you couldnt be there... big boss prolly wining and dining jade 'the tits' raymond right now

LOL, I actually ran into her in '08. She wasn't wearing her badge. She was afraid horny, lonely devs would hound her (especially after that online comic came out)... like Leigh Alexander was this year ([url="http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/"]click here for her "videogame" blog...[/url]). Lonely, horny game jornos already hired her as director of Gamasutra, so I guess they won.