Essential Black Metal Albums Guide

Posted by Omni

For 'lolin and other people's sake, I'm going to start this thread so we can create a list. Ideally, don't list every album by a band. Try to stick with their best release. People can explore their discography later.

Here's my list to start:
[list][*]Peste Noire - La Sanie des si

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The Ruins of Beverast - Unlock the Shrine
Thralldom - A Shaman Steering The Vessel Of Vastness
Summoning - Oathbound
Syny Severa - Syny Severa/The Death of White Race

all that comes to the top of my head that wasn't included in the first post. The first album being one of the best albums out of all of them.

Also, I like Blut's new album and mort better than twwtg.

Posted by Slade

We've talked about this before, but yeah I still think Groza is boring (Mdłości being far superior!). Totally agree with everything else except vamp's raised a good question and I can't remember if I've listened to Mort or not. so basically I'm no longer kvlt enough to be in this thread whoops

groza is basically the same as all his other stuff just better. You probably haven't listened to it properly.

Posted by Slade

For some reason my impression was that it's like he ran out of awesome ideas. Probably just a weird personal thing where I loved the melodies and the way the older songs ran while this new one is just tiresome. Instead of being powerful and amazing I was like... ugh... these riffs are so lame. And I preferred the older vocals, too. Mdlosci is one of my favorite albums ever and I have no interest in hearing Groza again. Not sure what happened there.

I thought it was a more powerful album than any of his other stuff to tell you the truth.

Posted by Slade

I'll give it another listen just for you pal! ;) *thumbs up* :D

yeah, all right!

Oh and Antestor - The Forsaken.
Because it's one of the best christian black metal albums and that's an area you have to check out at least once.

Posted by Omni

Here's some other good stuff:
[list][*]Nocternity - Onyx
[*]Abigor - Nahcthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom)
[*]Summoning - Oath Bound
[*]Faustcoven - Rising from Below the Earth
[*]Zemial - In Monumentum[/list]

Nocternity needs to hurry up and release a new album. Been like five years or something. Or at least a new EP.

Posted by Stalolin

greatly enjoying drudkh, peste noire, dark tribe, nazxul, lunar aurora so far

this thread kicks ***

Posted by Stalolin

alright, quick question

this doesn't matter that much, but is there a point you'll start understanding the lyrics to black metal (i know part of it is not being able to understand, and i'm totally cool with that)?

just curious

Posted by Omni

I understand a lot more than I used to, but some are more intelligible than others. I can understand a lot of them if they're in English, but certain vocal styles are more harsh or unintelligible. I tend not to worry about it very much, plus a lot of bands have lyrics in languages that I don't speak anyway.

Posted by cool gamer dad

you can usually make sense out of them after reading the lyrics and ****, but yeah you're probably not gonna be able to tell what they're saying a good 90%+ of the time.

well i mean, i cant

Posted by Slade

Sometimes when I listen I'll suddenly pick up on a word or phrase I never noticed before, and other times I think I make up words that they might be saying. I'd rather just focus on the vocal structure/timing than put false words in their mouths, though, so I try not to do that. If I'm really interested, and lyrics are available, I'll read along while listening.