Luna!

Posted by KluE

YO! I was searching the sim battle boards on google, just looking for a new one, and guess who was on the first one I found -_-. Anyway, I been trying to get your attention over there for about a week now, seeing if you'd be up for a battle (since your the only person on this board that checks more then once a month, from what I can tell), but since im still a newbie on that board, it wont let me post anything! So, anyway, I was gonna see if you had in any interest in battling with our rules on their boards, just to see if we can breathe some new life into battling, just by getting people interested in it over there. Lead by example, right?

P.S. Sorry about the flood of random **** you'll be getting once the moderator DOES approve of the stuff I been trying to post, I think i've tried posting about three different threads and reply's on about three more, until I realized that it wasn't that the mod didnt approve the messages, but that the mod has just been inactive for the passed two weeks. My bad!

Posted by S

Haha where was it? Sorry I've been MIA. I'm around, and making sure there's no spam, but haven't been looking for my name. Having a bit of a rough spot in the writing department but that's probably because I'm not demanding it from myself as much as I ought to be. What forum in particular are you talking about? Onemanga? Or the ****-ton of other places I've tried to start it in?

Thanks for taking up Convenient Parking by the way.

Posted by KluE

I was talking about one manga. But im not sure how the hell the boards are run over there, cause I cant seem to ever post. I dont know if I have to be approved by a moderator first everytime, or if I have to reach a certain number of posts or what, but it is REAAAAAAAAAALLY frustrating, haha. Anyway, if your down to play around on Onemanga, and see if we cant stir something up, im definitely game, seeing as I just installed linux mint, and I havent figured out how to run fallout 3 yet, and im sick so im not at the rock gym or fighting gym, so I have waaaaaaay too much freetime.

Anyway, I think we could have alot of fun if we set up the battle right, as Im trying to with convenient parking (who, by the way, if your reading this, i'll have a reply up soon. I dont like trying to get one up while im at work, i get interrupted too much and lose my flow...even though there wasnt much of that in my last post, as Im painfully aware), but realized last night that a made a glaring oversight in my profile when he unsheathed his sword, as I always meant to go back and edit it :-/.

Anyway, im just about going crazy with ideas for battlegrounds since i've just picked up the Planet Earth series, along with Rome and metalocalypse, they have left me with alot of inspiration for writing, though I havent exactly gotten back into the rythym of things as I'd like to as far as movement and momentum transfers go.

I feel as though I've started rambling, so I think ill just wrap it up with the whole idea behind I was trying to get at, you wanna start another actual LIVE thread here?! there hasnt been one of those in years! haha, and then, since I cant actively post as onemanga yet, maybe just transcribe it there so maybe we can spark some interest in these boards, and just put links to our boards in our sigs/profiles/anywhere else we can put links without spamming? Lemme know what ya think

Posted by S

Already made a thread for you there. Post whenever you feel you're ready. Let me know if it doesn't take, I'll bug someone if I have to. It has to be admitted as a post by a moderator in the RP board for some reason.

Posted by KluE

sounds good, ill try and have a post up by tomorrow morning, since I dont get off work until midnight... If it gets posted, haha, I'll just pm you that its posted and send the actual post to you so that, in the even that it takes the mod's a week or two to get to it (like it did last time) you can have something prepared once the mods DO get to it.

Posted by S

Posted.

Posted by KluE

I just read your post. And you, sir, are a Son of a B!tch! :-P. I like it, and like you said, it was kinda RP. Did you have a story arc in mind, or did you wanna just play it by ear? cause I really haven't written a fleshed out story for Edgar yet, and I'm definitely intrigued by the possibilities you've left open. However, I feel as thought I need to get out my **** thesaurus and actually start writing seriously, again, if I'm to keep up. I think I'll post back with something existential, as well, so I can keep it open ended, until I hear from you. Oh, and as far as an IM service, I tried to get ahold of you on AIM, I was luk3rules (klue = anagram of luke, yay!), but I use the steam friends service alot more, since its not assosciated with the devil (AOL and Microsoft, two of the three heads of cerberus). Anyway, I dont know if you use steam or not, but that works best for me, but I'll keep tryin to find you on AIM. Oh, and Im on ventrilo every now and then, as well.

Posted by S

I have no particular direction to take it in really. It's a piece I am thoroughly proud of though, and it is definately a main sector of Sar's later story. I haven't fleshed it enough to matter though, so ultimately it can just boil down to an entrance. I like the theme, I used it before with Strike, but I figure the scenary itself changed, so the effect is an entrance in of itself.

Glad you liked it.

Posted by KluE

Yup. I posted, and I left it really open ended. Feel free to take it wherever you like, because as of right now, I'm still severely out of practice and off my game. We could kind of go from RP to sim battle, and see if we could impress some kids over there enough to take an interest in sim battling, if you'd like. Oh, and you kinda just ignored all the stuff about contact info, haha. Do you use steam or Ventrilo? or is the best bet AIM? It'd be much easier to brainstorm in that sort of format...

Posted by S

Only AIM and YIM, sorry.

Won't have the time to read it tonight but I will do that tomorrow. And I'll try and respond tomorrow, but no promises at all.

Posted by S

Sorry about the delay KluE. I've received the biggest curve ball possible in my life, and let me tell you, this **** sucks.

On a lighter note, our battle spurred me to begin my manuscript for my first book! So most my ideas are being filtrated into that.

Posted by KluE

Fair enough. Sorry about your troubles, I hope you can manage to sort everything out

Posted by S

With time and time only, unfortunately. But as far as I'm concerned, our battle isn't dead, just on a minor delay, and I keep to my word on things like that. So a little time is all I need.

Posted by KluE

Fair enough. Take your time, I just put up a random freewrite thread to keep me entertained and to practice a different kind of style with my writing. A friend of mine, after showing her some of the writing on these boards pointed something out to me, and, after reading it again with what she said, she had made a very valid point.

Basically, the analogy was, if we were to transfer this to another medium, that most of the writers here have been focusing on their brush strokes, and neglecting the picture. Because even if you have the most magnificent brush strokes, if you cant put it together and make a beautiful picture with it, it makes no difference, and what alot of writers have been doing, myself included, have been so focused on single phrases and who has the best vocabulary, that it has detracted from the overall style of the fight.

Its sort of the same thing with art, if you look at any of the masterworks in painting, and take in the entire picture as a whole, and it is beautiful, you dont walk up and inspect it stroke for stroke, and comment on how amazing a single one is. After having that pointed out to me, I started reading some of the posts, and realized, metaphorically, that we're using the best canvas, the nicest paints, and the most intricate brushes to paint dancing stick figures, so to speak.

Anyway, that's kind of a ramble, but let me know if your behind me on this, or if Im just kinda ****ing in the wind on this and ya'll think it's bullsh!t.

Posted by S

Actually, I see that the analogy is fairly accurate. I've personally been one to point it out. As a writer, I've always noted that this has been a writing excersize though and never the actual writing. Though the pieces flow well and mesh in many areas, they're nothing more than sketches on scratch paper. But it enhances a particular part of writing, like how you say, our vocabulary or brush strokes. It also enhances flow and continuity in thought (And creates weak points, since we don't delve deep enough into them as we grow as writers, thus becoming one sided in our abilities. But this one-sidedness is also something I've never personally experienced in prose. It is very, very rare to see someone with this particular set of skills.). But that's earnestly the name of the game.

Did you have something particular in mind?

Posted by KluE

Just my own sanity, and maybe if I were being overcritical. The thing is, though, no matter if this is even just a sketch on scratch paper, as you put it, people would be constantly changing, not just drawing the same character over and over.

I dont know, it just seems to me that most of the people here are too rigid in their styles for it to just be an exercise, and it has become a writing format that people do for itself, not for gaining tools. As it is, you can only make the same brush stroke for so long before it becomes boring, and as Im constantly trying to figure out what happened to this board, that seems as useful a parallel as possible

Posted by S

More than likely, but just like anything, the author can only pull from it what they attempt to. If they don't attempt to take it any further, it will go no further. I'm writing my first manuscript ever, and if not for sim, I'd never have dreamed of being a writer. I owe the people here a lot, whether many of them know it or not.

Point is: It's up to you to garner from it what you want. I've drawn the same thing over and over and over, but no one can deny I haven't refined it, and I'm now attempting to apply it elsewhere.

Posted by KluE

Im sorry, I wrote that while at work, and my thought kind of got cut off. If that got across the wrong point, it was not my intention. This forum; what we do, I'm definitely not trying to take away from it, as a building block, as you have used it for, it is incomparable in its usefulness. I guess what I was trying to say was that so many people here have taken this as their pinnacle in writing, whereas, going back to the analogy, no matter how good you get at sketching, ultimately, its still only a sketch.

And, take it as you will, you are one of the few writers here that I think have grasped that, as exemplified as your taking it upon yourself to actually write something with some substance to it.

I guess, to sum it up, I've just become frustrated in this forum, and I'm venting to you, as it seems your the only one out there listening. And, if this entire tangent has come off condescending on my part, I apologize, because I do not consider myself an accomplished, or even impressive writer. It's just that this has become my medium of choice for artistic expression, and since it has died down, it has left me without the satisfying release that it once had provided.

And once again, I just want to reaffirm, if even in my own mind, that this is just a rant, without any particular purpose other than the cathartic effect on myself, as selfish as it seems.

But, to throw us on another tangent, if you would like any editing or anything on the manuscript that your working on, I would be more than happy to help. Even if not, I'd really like to read your writing, just because, as I've said, I've become more and more frustrated with my lack of self-discipline and lack of doing anything that feels as im bettering myself as a person at the moment.

If you decline, whether for your own reason, or because of the uncertainty of sharing un-copyrighted work, I completely understand. If you do, however, wish to share it, say something, and I'll PM you my Email or any other pertinent information you wish. Im just kind of going crazy without any artistic outlet of my own, and, unfortunately I dont have the time at the moment to start the massive undertaking that is writing my own manuscript right now.

Posted by S

The game has ultimately changed from a game to something more. Some people thrived in the game, others thrived in the transition, and the few of us left thrive upon what it's become. Ultimately though, it's all just a game and can't really count anyone out because for some it may just have been a pass time. Taking writing to the next level is something that you have to yearn for; you have to really want it, and know that you want it. I can only speak for myself in what follows but for me, its a part of my character and I couldn't find myself fulfilled without it. Point is: frustration and venting are fine. Just know that you can't really the game to evolve into anything else besides a game without first reinventing it. So don't stress too hard over it and reap from it its value.

Sign on AIM more and I promise it won't be as hard. Lunairetic 5 or DeusExAetas, both are mine and I'm on either, usually, during work and sometimes after.

And I'd be honored to share my manuscript with you. I need more people to bounce ideas off of, especially people who won't just attempt to pacify with "It's good!"

Posted by KluE

Sounds good. I'll get aim again soon, and I may have to message you from a random s/n again, as I was in the process of building a computer before, and was constantly changing or wiping harddrives, but I'll try and get ahold of you soon.