Street Fighter IV

Posted by Ant

Picked up my copy for the 360 earlier today and I must say it sure is nice not having to pump so many quarters into a machine and be able to play this without getting my *** handed to me so promptly! Really enjoying it so far with friends and just being able to ****ing around with some of the new characters. Of the first 4 new character C. Viper is probably my favorite with Rufus in a close second as both are very much focused on combos.

Unfortunately, I also picked up the standard fighting stick with it and I WOULD be very happy with it. However, I can't do a diagonal jump for the life of me. I managed to pull of a few on accident but considering how important that aspect is to it that flaw is unforgivable. I'll end up calling the customer support at Mad Catz and seeing if it's just the stick I have or if I'm doing something wrong or what. Since I had to deal with that though I've managed to actually become rather proficent with the D-pad and buttons on a standard controller. Though I'll never be able to pull off any super/ultra that's like Chun-Li's unless I'm using the joystick. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

sounds like you got one with the loose washer, open that **** up and remove it

Posted by Ant

I don't want to void the warranty in case that doesn't work :/

Posted by Proto Man

Man, you're lucky. I gotta wait a little bit longer. Game comes out on the PC in Q2 2008. CAN'T WAIT! It's gonna look sweet on my new 22 inch.

Posted by Crazy K

My friend wants me to pick it up for him this Friday, I'll be borrowing it for the weekend.

Posted by Ant

Quoting Proto Man: Man, you're lucky. I gotta wait a little bit longer. Game comes out on the PC in Q2 2008. CAN'T WAIT! It's gonna look sweet on my new 22 inch.

why would you get the PC version?

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Ant: why would you get the PC version?

Because that's the only way I can play it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

so, i got the game

freakin LOVE this ****. feels like they took the best parts of third strike and affixed it to super turbo. the camera angles make supers and ultras ****ing intense. it's p. cool that you can mix and match japanese and english voice actors, because ryu and dan sound horrible

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also, i really miss chun-li's variable spinning bird from HDR

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

STREET FIGHTER IV: CONFIRMED FOR GOATEE 2009

WHY, YOU ASK?

IT HAS A FREAKIN SCOTLAND STAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! nearly cummed when i saw people walkin around in kilts in the background

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also, ken is somehow my worst character in this game. i'm terribad with him. balrog still owns though.

balrog, chun-li, guile and sakura for top tier

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Oh yeah, meant to pick this up today.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the achievements are p. easy to get, its a must-buy for you man

easy achievements in a fighter? too rare to pass up.

Might actually wait to see how HAWX turns out first though. Only a couple weeks.

Posted by Big Boss

My impressions on the game so far, posted elsewhere:

[quote]I bought the Collector's Edition of the game on PS3. Here are a few impressions from a couple of hours of play, using the DualShock 3 controller:

1. Ken's Dragon Punch is, for some reason, extremely easy to pull off. Seriously, my success rate has been 99% with it so far. I'll probably still need an arcade stick though, as Super Combos and Ultra Combos can be unnecessarily hard to pull off with a consistent success rate.

2. The game allows for anyone online to challenge you while playing Arcade mode against the CPU, in a commendable effort to replicate a little of the arcade culture of fighting games. This feature can be turned off, or set to allow only Ranked or Player (non-Ranked) challenges. I have it set to Player matches, which meant it took me a long time to get to the final boss, since I kept being challenged in the middle of every match, sometimes more than once!

3. While I've played many Street Fighter games in the past, before buying SFIV I had only played the arcade version of the game once, and got my ass kicked. Yet, mysteriously, despite choosing the HARDEST difficulty setting, it was relatively easy to pound over every new opponent until reaching Seth (final boss, lol at the name)... which seemed to have stolen all that HARDEST difficulty setting for himself. I had no chance of beating him. That's a rather spiked difficulty curve. The difficulty of every opponent previous to Seth is decently challenging at best, and pathetically easy at worst. This means when the Player gets to Seth, he wouldn't have gained enough skill to face the boss competitively. This is a problem for me, since I never continue. If I lose a single match in the arcade mode, I start from scratch. If the later opponents were difficult, then I'd be better prepared against Seth.

4. Not many good Players online at the time. I lost a couple of matches, but I won most. The ones I lost were a result of my lack of execution, for the most part (Pulling off an Ultra Combo, even with LP+MP+HP mapped to L2 Bumber, is a little shaky).

5. The game is beautiful. The characters' facial animations definitely add a lot of flavor to the combat, as it helps show the pain caused from a connected punch to the gut, or a kick to the face. I wish they would've added more of that brush stroke art style to the matches, though.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

The facial animations own. Love seeing a slow mo 'NOOOO' face when I'm winding up an ultra combo.

Posted by Ant

Funny, I had more trouble with my 3rd and 4th character match ups than I did with Seth. CURSE YE HONDA AND ABEL! Ryu > Ken by far in this game though. Which is a shame since I mained Ken in the previous entries. :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah ryu is freakin RAW POWER in this game

he can combo a ton of **** into shinku hadoken

Posted by Ant

As opposed to with Ken's Ultra you basically have to just hope you can catch them offguard, though it's still possible to combo into if you break into a focus after an EX. I've yet to be able to really pull off anything impressive with that.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

it has the plus side of going into shinryuken if you whiff it, but it does ****ty damage.

someone needs to teach me how to do raging demon though. never been able to do it. :(

Posted by Ant

however you do it, it counts as his ultra. know that much.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

man i owned your ***, four matches in a row

what did it end up, 7-7 or something? p. good. man, everyone tears **** up as ryu. he's freakin power

Posted by Synth2012

Hi everyone. I just got my *** kicked in this game.

Have a nice day.

lol

Posted by Stalolin

holy **** this is coming out for the pc?

oh man this means i can play it

my box got jacked by my bro, so i have no other way of playing it

Posted by Ant

Quoting The X: man i owned your ***, four matches in a row

what did it end up, 7-7 or something? p. good. man, everyone tears **** up as ryu. he's freakin power

protip against THE X: he doesn't know what focus attacks are. EXPLOIT!

Quoted post: 1. Ken's Dragon Punch is, for some reason, extremely easy to pull off. Seriously, my success rate has been 99% with it so far. I'll probably still need an arcade stick though, as Super Combos and Ultra Combos can be unnecessarily hard to pull off with a consistent success rate.

Didn't they follow HDremix for the combos? In that some were less complicated to pull off?

Also, seth as a name makes sense. Dude copies everyone abilities and Seth was an egyptian *** that represented balance. so it works. just generic

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;930066]protip against THE X: he doesn't know what focus attacks are. EXPLOIT!lol, ikr. i've gotten better at them now. holy **** they own on wakeup.
[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;930112]Didn't they follow HDremix for the combos? In that some were less complicated to pull off?nah, the combos are like old SF2's but the input window is way looser. you can do the DP motion and still have a couple of moments before you need to hit punch

Posted by Ant

played my first 10 ranked matches and won them all in a row :( some of the matches were close but most were pushovers.

Posted by O.T.L

I think I might main El Fuerte.

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

that's pretty hispanic of you

debating whether I should get this still

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: that's pretty hispanic of you

Dooooit!!!! What is stopping you?

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3: that's pretty hispanic of you

Pretty much the only reason I'm maining him.

With Vega as 2nd.

Or vice versa, haven't decided yet.

Posted by G-Sides

Q: how's the lag factor when playing online?

Posted by Dark Bulb 4.3

yea, someone answer that question

proto, I've never been a fan of the series at all, but something is yelling at me to get it. Looks like it might feed my smash bros craving.

also, money, not sure what to sell to get this, poor spic is poor

Posted by Ant

if you have a good connection you'll almost always be able to find someone to play against with no lag.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=O.T.L;930360]Pretty much the only reason I'm maining him.

With Vega as 2nd.

Or vice versa, haven't decided yet.congratulations on choosing the game's two bottom tier characters as your mains lol

Posted by Proto Man

Quoting Dark Bulb 4.3:
proto, I've never been a fan of the series at all, but something is yelling at me to get it. Looks like it might feed my smash bros craving.

also, money, not sure what to sell to get this, poor spic is poor

I can understand not being a fan of the series. You also have a good point there about price. PC version is can be had at newegg for 37 bucks though. ;)

[spoiler]Yeah I know, a shameless plug for the PC version, what do you expect? lol[/spoiler]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

PC version doesnt come out for 4 more months though ;)

console supremacy

Posted by Linko_16

So seeing as I had doubts about buying this game for PS3 when all my good VGC pals have it for Ecks Bawks, I just rented it for now instead. Fuuuck, I've been operating on a QCF-P Kikouken for so long I forgot how much a charge Kikouken sucks. A character's main projectile should never be charge.

I had a difficult time beating Seth at first only because I had basically been ignoring use of EX with attacks the whole game - once I tried it out with the Spinning Bird Kick whenever that ****er kept hovering over me, I bounced back pretty quick.

I'll say this now in anticipation of the day that I eventually play anyone online - despite my long history with Street Fighter and other fighters, I've pretty much never applied myself rigorously to any of the games because I haven't had opponents to fight, so I never bothered learning strategies, getting good, etc. In other words, wouldn't be surprised if I'm a complete loser vs the rest of you.

Posted by Ant

It's okay buddy. I'm sure if it's the same as you are with Smash you aren't half bad.

and like omg, so like I was doing my run through on arcade with Abel right? No one was giving me any problems at all UNTIL Seth. And even then his first phase was fairly easy. But once he goes all out on the second round I was having trouble making it an even fight. After 30 minutes I had to leave and give up that run :( I refuse to go any lower than medium so it's gonna be a ***** to do that.

Posted by Linko_16

I'm not sure I get how to perform a Super/Ultra such as Guile's. Is it charge down/back, then down/forward, down/back, up/forward? Somehow I can't get it to execute.

Posted by Ant

Guile and Vega have the most ****ed up super/ultras. I personally have yet to pull them off.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Linko_16;930502][COLOR=indigo]A character's main projectile should never be charge.[/COLOR]sonic boom, *****

i think of vega and guile's supers as a diagonal version of bison/chun/most of the other charge character's specials. seems to work sometimes. not all that reliable though.

so i have my first tournament today! not even sure who i'm going to play, though i'm gravitating towards bison or balrog. i'd go ken or ryu, but i think it's a given there'll be a ****ton of them and i'd rather have fun playing someone different than enter into a hall of mirror matches

Posted by Ant

I signed up for that gamestop one they have going on. But I doubt I'll be going :(

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Ant: Guile and Vega have the most ****ed up super/ultras. I personally have yet to pull them off.

It's just like their Super Combos, with only three buttons instead of one. Like with every other move, they're far easier to pull off than in, say, Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

LOL, and I totally forgot about the Gamestop tournament. I was reminded of it at 4:00PM today. :(

Posted by O.T.L

Quoting The X: congratulations on choosing the game's two bottom tier characters as your mains lol

Tiers are for queers. :)

**** I suck at SFIV.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

TOURNAMENT REPORT: got to the QFs after grinding many shotos into a fine paste only to be beaten by a really sweet m. bison. ended up playing as sagat after a last minute change-out. someone played as dan all the way to semi-finals and developed a cult following after some insane playing. sweet

Quoted post: nah, the combos are like old SF2's but the input window is way looser. you can do the DP motion and still have a couple of moments before you need to hit punch

I thought that's what remix did. loosen it up.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

remix loosened it up, but it also reduced the complexity of some of the inputs. zangief's moves only required 180s, moves that required you to press three punches only needed two, a lot of moves that were 180s were reduced to quarter circles, etc

Posted by Ant

really fun matches earlier THE X. seems like we both increased in skill at about the same rate. though I'm gonna be a dick and blame a lot of my losses on mismatches. :mad: I especially enjoyed our Sagat vs Ryu matches. And I'm not sure if you found it as funny as I did when I demolished your Balrog with Dan ;)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

dude i was laughing my *** off at my stupidity. focus attack rape

also yeah our sagat vs ryu matches are hella intense. wish ryu's theme would play like it does when they meet in arcade

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

also i'm really happy because i raging demon'd you :D

Posted by Ant

tied for favorite ultra with dans

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

best ultras:
- bison
- dan
- fei long
- gouken

Posted by Ant

gouken's ultra isn't that great.

btw I hated that match. ****ing *****.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

heh, his hadoken mixup is great. hate gouken though

Posted by Ant

was it as easy to unlock him as it was akuma?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

beat the game with akuma then do the exact same process you did to unlock akuma with any character YOU'VE ALREADY BEATEN ARCADE WITH

emphasis on last part because i kept playing through as different people so i could work towards unlocking seth and didnt realize you had to do a repeat character

Posted by Ant

wish you could change the title music to japanese :(

Posted by Ant

lol I just lost a match cause I taunted after the guy missed his ultra :(

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;930827]wish you could change the title music to japanese :(you can. i think you either change the game's entire audio to japanese or the cutscene language

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/29z4h0m.gif[/IMG]

Posted by Ant

blanka is such a *****. think he'd be able to take it what with his whole electricity attack.

Posted by Kamek

Am I the only one who can beat 1-2 4-end, and gets owned every time on match 3? Amazing game, LOVE the difficulty curve. Seems like a throwback to old games.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Kamek;930863]Am I the only one who can beat 1-2 4-end, and gets owned every time on match 3? Amazing game, LOVE the difficulty curve. Seems like a throwback to old games.uhhh yeah, you're the only one. arcade is pretty easy, even on hardest.

Posted by Kamek

Guess I have to dust off the rust then. Does anyone know about the downloadable content in terms of additional characters yet? I heard about T Hawk being a possibility - are there any others?

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting The X: sonic boom, *****

My point stands.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

sonic boom is more useful than hadoken

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Kamek;930878]Guess I have to dust off the rust then. Does anyone know about the downloadable content in terms of additional characters yet? I heard about T Hawk being a possibility - are there any others?apparently t hawk and deejay were in the alpha versions of the home port but they scrapped them because they wanted to balance the other additions.

oh yeah, the concept art for this game is great. the characters who didnt make it look hilarious. black guy with a fur-rimmed gi and dreadlocks, what the **** lol

Posted by Ant

I'm glad t and dj weren't put in. gay characters then gay characters now.

Posted by Linko_16

Hahaha I just ****ing mauled Seth in the second round with Ryu, lost only like 7% of my health. SURVIVAL MODE.

EDIT - I take it back, this is Survival Mode: Was facing Seth as Bison just now and, when he had taken me down to the brink and he still had mostly full health, I somehow turned that **** around and rawked him. Times like those I remember why fighting is one of my absolute favorite genres.

Posted by Linko_16

Alright, I've got everyone unlocked now except Akuma and Gouken. Man, Sakura's pretty sweet in this game. Not that she's much different from normal but somehow I am clicking with her.

It occurred to me that the voice acting is so adequate in this game that it's hard to believe it was made by Capcom. Even when I don't 100% agree with the voice of a certain character, it still sounds more or less alright.

Posted by Ant

I like how Dante and Etna are in here (Ken & C.Viper)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

and gohan from DBZ (ryu)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

blanka's ending in this game is so sweet :)

Posted by Ant

best story so far has been zangiefs.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the picture of him headlocking seth was p. lol

cammy's is cool cause you get to see her stroking a kitty

Posted by Ant

I was amazed when guiles story actually tied into chun-li's. so far they've all just been willy nilly.

Posted by Linko_16

Guile, Abel, Chun-Li and Vega all seem to have ending cinemas that are directly linked. In fact I would bet most if not all endings are more or less canon somehow - few of them conflict directly with one another.

I got a chance to try it online before I put the rental away for good. I didn't do well; only a few victories, most people were pretty good. There was one fight, however, where I was against a really skilled player and somehow I was gaining the upper hand... narrowly won two in a row on an out-of-five match and was looking to win the third. Then the pussy faggot disconnected. Why is that ever allowed? Any match where you disconnect on any online game should be taken as a loss. Grrr.

Oh SFIV, how I will miss you.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;931642]I was amazed when guiles story actually tied into chun-li's. so far they've all just been willy nilly.ryu, sakura, dan and blanka all have linked storylines

jimmy <3

Posted by Linko_16

Oh, right, those four too. And they don't interfere with Chun-Li/Vega/Guile/Abel, and all those are major characters, so they were likely all designed to go along as canon. Pretty much any ending could be true if you put them together right - for instance, both Vega and Guile (ENDING SPOILERZ for lots of characters) [spoiler]got the BLECE project data, but then Cammy deleted it afterward, Balrog was rooting around the place for stuff and saved the kid, Bison could still manage to capture and assimilate Rose, uh... even Seth could've defeated 21 before he was later defeated by whoever it turns out did it canonically[/spoiler]. So, any ending that doesn't end in bad guys winning and taking over the world and doesn't conflict with a more major character's victory is probably canon.

Posted by Ant

granted people don't remember the street fighter games for their amazing story telling capabilities it would have been nice if they tried just a little bit harder on that aspect of the game.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

is this kid who you seen in rose and balrog's endings supposed to be gill?

also, lol. rose ends up becoming bison's sex slave!

Posted by Linko_16

Quoting The X: is this kid who you seen in rose and balrog's endings supposed to be gill?

Doubt it. I guessed that (Abel ending spoilers) [spoiler]maybe if Abel was an escaped experiment from Shadaloo related to the creation of Seth and the others, maybe the kid is a young version of him[/spoiler]. Just a guess.

Posted by Ant

the fire hand though, come on. I figured it was Gill.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Ant;931911]the fire hand though, come on. I figured it was Gill.yeah, p. much. blonde hair, vibrant red skin... seth is even resembles urien/gill a bit

Posted by Ant

what with the whole focus attack being the shoulder bash.

so after only having 6 characters to beat on arcade I finally realized the easy way to beat seth :( just the middle ground where you're far enough away he'll come at you and attack but you can still block and crouch heavy kick him without worry.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

never go to close up or he'll SPD, and never get far away enough that he can do a sonic boom barrage

also fyi seth sucks as a player character. only thing i like is tri-shoryuken

Posted by Ant

yeah, I wouldn't mind if I had to play against another Seth. he's no gill

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah so i got 9 ranked wins in a row then got PERFECTED by a freakin ace honda player who had 5000BP

sucked hard but he was really good. felt weird to be the one being dominated for one

Posted by Ant

I got the 10 first time I played :( though I was up to almost 2000 bp when I lost ****ing 4 times in a row losing about 80 each time, but when I win only getting 50. yesh.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

i wanna know how BP are calculated

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

got a whole bunch of rage messages today

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/ff1wug.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/11uvojr.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/9fnpd4.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/35crcdz.png[/IMG]

Posted by Ant

funny, I've only gotten 2 good message from two strangers online :)

Posted by cloud1570

ok, so i was excited to play this my first time, i figured id play as dhalsim, since he was my all time favorite, and then i got to seth

i got my *** kicked hard lol XD

anyways, i didnt have as much luck online on my first time, MANY ken spammers for my matches

oh, and my main atm is el fuerte (EL FUERTE IS BEAST)

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

ken spammers are the easiest to decimate online, just wait for the blind DP and punish

Posted by cloud1570

true, but it IS pretty annoying your first time online, i can handle it now, still lost massively to goukens tho

Posted by Degeneration

I'm happy to say that I played a bunch of matches this week that weren't against the Hadoken squad. Ranked, no less! Way to step it up!

Posted by cloud1570

Quoting Degeneration: I'm happy to say that I played a bunch of matches this week that weren't against the Hadoken squad. Ranked, no less! Way to step it up!

nice, now if only that will happen for me this weekend....