Why You'll Never See Earthbound on VC

Posted by Zeta

http://starmen.net/ebvc/

tl;dr version: The game samples a lot of music from other bands and stuff and Nintendo doesn't want lawyers jumping all over them.

Posted by Stalolin

thank ***

Posted by coromoro

I read about this earlier, actually. It makes me sad. :( I want to play this game on an actual console.

Posted by Ant

http://earthboundcentral.com/2009/02/earthbound-music-similarities/

never noticed/knew. strange.

Posted by ExoXile

spangled banner thing was kind of creepy.

Posted by coromoro

Man, that's really cool. Too bad it's the reason we won't be playing it on VC. :(

Posted by Linko_16

You'd think they could just replace those songs. Most of them aren't even, like, vital, memorable songs, just sort of background noise.

Quoting coromoro: [color=limegreen][b]I read about this earlier, actually. It makes me sad. :( I want to play this game on an actual console.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over owning Earthbound on SNES. :cool:[/b][/color]

Posted by coromoro

Quoting Linko_16: Sorry, I couldn't hear you over owning Earthbound on SNES. :cool:

:o :grrr: :mad2: :mad: :beep: :bang: :chainsaw: :(

Someday I will get the game...

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just replace the music. Better than nothing and people will still buy it.

Posted by coromoro

[quote]This wouldn't normally be an issue (lots of changes have been made to other VC releases), but there was one major problem: NCL wasn't playing ball. For reasons we can only guess, the head honchos back in Japan were refusing to let NoA modify the game prior to release. Was it too expensive? Did they disagree with the NoA lawyers' assessment? Were they just being stubborn? Was Itoi involved somehow? None of our sources were able to tell us what transpired.

I wonder why...

Posted by Proto Man

Yeah I don't see why that COULDN'T replace the music. They had to replace logo's in the other VC games that had references to copyright stuff.

Heck, for a more extreme (and more parallel) example, when DIC re-released The Super Mario Brothers Super Show, they had to replace all the action scene music with generic music because the songs were copyrighted RIAA music.

if it's too expensive just pay a group of fans to do it under contract. Nintendo will get paid to do none of the work. It's brilliant and everyone is happy.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Nintendo would want to ensure the music's quality by doing it in-house, aswell as be confident in owning all intelectual rights without the risk of renegotiations. I had this all explained to me in a turned-down letter from Blizzard when I asked if I could write music for them when I was 16. Companies don't trust people off payrole and with no experience.

I think NoA should grow a set and go to court. Hell, maybe there's a lawyer who just happens to be an Earthbound fan who will work on the case at a discount!

Pretty much no way they could win unless they were given permission. And nintendo paid royalties. Good luck with that

Posted by WillisGreeny

If Nintendo has already paid royalties then the intelectual rights have already been permitted once.

also: [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use[/URL]

so yeah, easy case.

Assuming they were paying royalties for said music. This game came out quite awhile ago where it could've gone unnoticed. No idea really, but wouldn't be surprised.