123 TV Stations are Given the Brakes!

Posted by Proto Man

In their DTV Delay Act, the Fed gave TV stations the option to shut off their analog signals on the original date of Feb 17th anyway. Well 491 stations across the country decided to hop on board, though they had to jump through some hoops! 123 of those stations are having the brakes put on their plans totally until they adhere to MORE requirements. They claim that these stations pose "significant risk" by terminating before the new cut-off date.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/174057-FCC_123_Stations_Pose_Significant_Risk_If_They_End_Analog_Feb_17.php

This is total bullocks!!! I was against the delay in the first place, and their argument is idiotic. I realize that this whole situation is horribly mismanaged from the get-go, but now this locomotion is on full steam and we have known about this delay for about 4 years now!

I won't go over ALL the requirements, but here is the big one:

Quoting FCC: Ensure that at least one station that is currently providing analog service to an area within the DMA that will no longer receive analog service after February 17, 2009 will continue broadcasting an analog signal providing, at a minimum, DTV transition and emergency information, as well as local news and public affairs programming (“enhanced nightlight” service11) for at least 60 days following February 17, 2009. The local news, public affairs, or other programming may include commercial advertising.

If they are so worried about that, then why are we doing this song and dance in the first place??? In doing this, the FCC is sending mixed signals (no pun intended). On one hand they are telling everybody "oh we are moving forward with new TV tech", and then on the other hand they are saying "oh we need our analog or people can't get the news and emergency alerts".

Again, the United States has been getting ready for this since 2005. It's the people's OWN FAULT if they didn't get a new TV, or at the least get a coupon for the converter box. As for the whole news and emergency alert deal, HELLO HAVE WE FORGOTEN ABOUT RADIO? Heck, you can get an FM Radio attachment for your GAMEBOY (though AM radio is best for getting news and emergency alerts).

Because of this delay, it is costing stations thousands of dollars per year to run two transmitters. That, and they cannot boost their Digital signal till the analog signal is gone.

Overall this situation is ridiculous, and I bet you even on June 12th there are people who won't be ready.