Deadly Creatures is finally out...

Posted by Prince Shondronai

...and it's awesome! Thus far it's lived up to my expectations almost perfectly. I've been anticipating this game since it was first announced.

The creepy-crawly models are very nicely-done and well-animated. They've got some unrealistic moves that make the game more entertaining to play, but the way they move normally is spot-on for the bugs they're portraying. The waggle controls for combat are a little stiff, but you get used to them. The auto-targeting system is also not perfect, but that can be offset by using some cautious tactics.

The environments are great fun to explore and the bigger areas contain all the secret nooks and crannies I had been hoping to find. The game's oozing with atmosphere, too, which the subdued soundtrack helps out with.

I'd recommend the game to anyone who wants a good adventure on the Wii and isn't squemish about bugs. This is the first truly awesome 3rd-party game on the Wii for '09 (beats everything from '08, too, for that matter), a year that looks to be full of cool Wii 3rd-party games.

Posted by Speedfreak

What's the draw of this in your opinion? Is the fighting fun? Are there interesting puzzles? All I've seen of it is pretty much wandering around and some waggle against enemies and bosses.

Posted by Zeta

... Deadly Creatures is good? I assumed it was the usual shovelware.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Looked nothing like shovelware since it was announced but I didn't have high hopes for it. I thought the concept was really cool, but I assumed it would suck. Too bad it's only six hours or so.

Posted by ExoXile

I dislike the whole "wrestling" aspect of the fights.
Looks kind of silly to me.

And I'm sure the game's all right, but the concept doesn't really attract me too much.

spiders wrestle.

Posted by ExoXile

Not like humans do.
And I never saw a scorpion do a body slam before.[IMG]http://www.vgchat.com/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]

I have.

Posted by ExoXile

Basically the developer said the fighting was unrealistic in some cases, because they wanted to spice it up a bit.

So yeah, just think it looks kinda silly.

it's not exactly a bug-fighting sim

Posted by Ant

might get it for 20 bucks. wouldn't pay full price for it though.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;927507]it's not exactly a bug-fighting sim
Oh u.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Speedfreak: What's the draw of this in your opinion? Is the fighting fun? Are there interesting puzzles? All I've seen of it is pretty much wandering around and some waggle against enemies and bosses.

To me, the draw is the exploration and unique perspective. You're a bug. You don't really care about humans except as enormous meatsacks that you might feast upon if they **** you off. All you want to do is eat enough tasty bugs to survive long enough to mate with a sexy female of your species someday. The humans just happen to be there, having a plot.

The fighting's cool in that it's not very complex, but not wholly button-mashing either. It's not perfect, like I said. The auto-targeting system sometimes doesn't lock on to the enemy that's most convenient for the camera angle, but when that happens you just need to skitter around for a bit until it adjusts. Some enemies require some stalking and pattern-learning, too.

I'm the type of gamer that'll spend 5 minutes jumping or rolling at one corner of a game map because it looks like there might be something behind it if I can just glitch the game into letting me get over there. I love exploring every inch of game worlds, and Deadly Creatures' environments are spooky and atmospheric and full of interesting areas to poke your mandibles into. I love it.