Video Game Day

Posted by Big Boss

At least here in Texas.

http://kotaku.com/5146775/state-of-texas-creates-video-game-day

[quote]What were you doing on February 3rd? Let us tell you what you should have been doing, you should have been celebrating Entertainment Software Day. Oh yes.

The State of Texas has dubbed the day to recognize the impact of video games on the Texas economy.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

DO YOU WORK FOR BIOWARE AUSTIN

Posted by Linko_16

Better than "Wintereenmas."

Posted by Fate

Quoting The X: DO YOU WORK FOR BIOWARE AUSTIN

That BioWare isn't the BioWare he'd work for.

Posted by Speedfreak

How pointless and almost patronising.

EDIT: Even the name is stupid. When I read it I imagine some cheesy-as-wack American news reader half-screaming their lines off an autocue.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

Entertainment Software Day? Pretty much sucks the fun out of it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Fate;925303][COLOR=skyblue]That BioWare isn't the BioWare he'd work for.[/COLOR]they're making the new star wars mmo, i would freakin murder my xbox to program that ****

It's gonna be terrible. Kotor was bad enough. but an mmo? oh man.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah, probably

i wish i was in charge of making a star wars mmo. it would freakin own.

Wasn't Star Wars Galaxies pretty good? But then they ****ed it up or something?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

was pretty good until they let you choose jedi knights as a freakin starter class and then took away everyone's ingame homes. owned.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

oh yeah and they tried to integrate real-time space combat into it too

That's what's going to happen to the Bioware game. Gonna reach to far and make it ****.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

everyone being jedi is kinda gay but then again jedi in SWG were broken as hell

unless you were a bounty hunter it was pointless to PVP

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting The X: they're making the new star wars mmo, i would freakin murder my xbox to program that ****

I don't like Star Wars, and I definitely could care less for MMORPGs (which would make any future employment in Austin harder, but hey...) I would rather work at Sony on their DC Universe MMO, if anything (I'm not.)

If BioWare Austin were making an actual sequel to KOTOR, that would be a different story.

Posted by Speedfreak

It's "couldn't care less" G[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]ddamnit.

I cannot imagine how utterly soul-destroying coding an MMO would be. Imagine being on a single project for a thousand years, knowing that if the game isn't a massive success in the first month then the entire company is bankrupt. Then consider that MMOs are generally awful games anyway, and if it is successful you'll be stuck making patches and updates for the rest of your life. Screw that.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: It's "couldn't care less" G[COLOR=lightgreen]o[/COLOR]ddamnit.

I cannot imagine how utterly soul-destroying coding an MMO would be. Imagine being on a single project for a thousand years, knowing that if the game isn't a massive success in the first month then the entire company is bankrupt. Then consider that MMOs are generally awful games anyway, and if it is successful you'll be stuck making patches and updates for the rest of your life. Screw that.

I'm a full-time designer now, but yeah, I work with people that have worked on MMOs as programmers, and it is a soul-crushing career. In consoles, you can release a game and then start working on another, hopefully different project.

Quoted post: I would rather work at Sony on their DC Universe MMO, if anything (I'm not.)

Big Boss working for Sony on DC Universe confirmed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

big boss do you ever get to meet batman and accept quests in the batcave

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;926495][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]I'm a full-time designer now, but yeah, I work with people that have worked on MMOs as programmers, and it is a soul-crushing career. In consoles, you can release a game and then start working on another, hopefully different project.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Is that a promotion?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

when you get to level 60 will you be like superman-levels of strength or at least as powerful as captain marvel

martian manhunter.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

aw man it would own if you could be a martian and morph into dragons and **** oh my ****ing *** that own that would OWN

i hope the classes are something like
- strong flying guy
- powerless gadget guy (basically batman heh)
- green lantern
- martian
- amazonian
- other DC race that i dont know because the crux of my DC knowledge comes from the DCAU and green lantern corps

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

oh yeah, speedster too

wanna use the speedforce and ****

why would you want to play anything other than manhunter. he's the ultimate superhero. even has a lame weakness.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

all DC characters have terrible weaknesses
- kryptonite
- dead parents
- yellow
- going too fast
- drugs

Kyrptonite is a great weakness. And batman's is being a pussy without powers. Which is an all right weakness all things considered.

All through Green Lantern's weakness of yellow... yeah, pretty much trumps them all. ****ing retarded. But come on, fire? That's way lamer than any of the others. It's not even a weakness, he's just scared of it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

technically GLs arent weak to yellow anymore, they retconned that ****

cant wait for the red lanterns and **** to start showing up. rings powered by rage gonna own

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

speedfreak could be earth's representative

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

and the black lanterns. all the dead characters coming. PLEASE PLEASE make batman fight his parents that would ****in own

i know technically his dad is supposed to be alive again now anyway but kill him off so batman can fight his dead parents hahaha

I like how some of the rings own so hard and then there's ****ing the ring of love. jesus christ

Posted by Speedfreak

I know nothing of the Green Lantern, is it seriously yellow? Is it like a certain yellow energy or would a yellow piece of paper fuck him up?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the ring cant effect yellow objects

retconned in like 2004 though, now GLs just need to feel fear to manipulate yellow objects. ties in p. good with sinestro corps.

thank *** for retcon. Some of the old **** was just so ****ed up it's not even funny.

Posted by Speedfreak

Fuck I hate comic books. Lemme guess, they retconned it with some psuedoscientific bullshit that's completely consistent with all existing canon in its various forms.

Quoted post: now GLs just need to feel fear to manipulate yellow objects. ties in p. good with sinestro corps.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

yeah, it was just explained that since GLs are supposed to be fearless and **** that nobody ever realized it

Posted by Speedfreak

...I don't really get it.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the whole point in the green lanterns is that they're driven by willpower and a lack of fear

yellow objects are connected to the sinestro corps, who are essentially the antithesis of the green lanterns. GLs gotta feel fear like the sinestro corps do to manipulate yellow objects

Posted by Speedfreak

And grown men read these?

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

how are they any worse than playing video games or watching movies

Posted by Big Boss

Everything in Green Lantern since Rebirth has been comic book gold. If Geoff Johns ever left DC, most of the brand's comics would hardly be worth reading.

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Big Boss working for Sony on DC Universe confirmed.

Nope.

I designed a level for a game nobody bought on the Wii last season, which got decent reviews all things considered, and I'm now working on a game a lot of people will definitely buy if it's released (for predictable reasons, if history is any indication) on the Wii. The challenge will be making a good 3D action game out of a couple of bucks, a small team of developers, and an... odd schedule, all while respecting and appeasing the wishes of the publisher and licensor.

The long-term goal being, of course, that this independent studio can get enough experience and recognition working on tough projects like these, so publishers want to work with us on PS3/X360/next-gen projects.

Quoting Speedfreak: Is that a promotion?

Indeed.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

what wii game was it? guessin TFU port since there's no other reason why you'd play it.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=The X;927649]how are they any worse than playing video games or watching movies

Most people don't play videogames for storylines as pant-shittingly awful as that, let alone watchmovies.

Grats on your promotion Big Boss, I'll check out your level sometime. Little difficult finding the time to play much of anything right now, though. It sounds like you're working on a liscensed title, good luck with that.

Quoted post: Most people don't play videogames for storylines as pant-****tingly awful as that, let alone watchmovies.

A lot of comics these days have pretty great stories. And not just-for-comics.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;927708]Most people don't play videogames for storylines as pant-s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]ittingly awful as that, let alone watchmovies.read watchmen, sandman, the dark knight returns and transmetropolitan than get back to me on that

Posted by Speedfreak

I was talking about Green Lantern.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

which is also hella tight, as big boss said