Is the wii the end of the line for nintendo consoles?

Posted by final kaoss

It seems that with most of the titles on the Wii they (by they I'm referring to Nintendo and not 3rd party companies) made had to look back to past games for innovation, including all of the nostalgic music to be found on ssbb and the mario 64 style gameplay that makes up Mario Galaxy... As far as I know, there haven't been any news on some of their big franchises for the Wii. I was just going through some of the music on ssbb and this is what made me start thinking this way. Sure the Nintendo DS is doing just fine on it's own but any gamer would remember from old news how nintendo pretty much said "they want their game consoles to do only one thing... gaming" even opting out dvd support and compared to the ps3 & xb360 Regular online matchups/gaming (and by this I'm referring of course to "friend codes"). To be honest, I just can't see nintendo pulling out another console with the failures of the past two (Wii & Gamecube).
Any other thoughts on this guys?

Posted by Lord of Spam

Wii... a failure? Oh lawd. Try doing more research before sounding stupid in public.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Tell me this is a joke thread. Do you have any idea how much money Nintendo has made from the Wii? Nintendo would have to do the following in order to collapse their business at this point:
1. Produce a "new" console with the same amount of power as the Wii, but runs on cartridges and costs $400 or more for release to compete with Microsoft's new console in 2012.
2. Make nothing but games that totally suck to absolutely everyone who plays them for the next 50 years.
3. Invest heavily in Bernie Madoff's investment scheme, Unhappy Meals, and Hu-Fu.
4. Take half their assets, sink them to the bottom of Tokyo Bay and send depth charges to keep them company.

Posted by junior senior

the wii is such a failure. that's why you can barely find it anywhere

Posted by Jesse Smith

They said da N64 was a failure cause it was hard to make games for it. Then Nintendo made da Game Cube.

They said da Game Cube was a failure. Then Nintendo made da Wee-wee.

final kaoss said da Wee-wee was a failure, and every one knows Nintendo is going to make another system, then another, then another...!!! :D

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

It's a failure in terms of it producing great games and content on a regular basis. But the free-market has spoken. Wii 2 is a guarantee.

Posted by Ant

CURSED FREE MARKET! RUINING COMPANIES WITH THEIR BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND NOT MAKING GAMES FOR TRUE GAMERZ LIKE US! GAAAAAAAAAH

smash and galaxy were big enough to pretty much guarantee there will always be a market for games like that. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Quoted post: CURSED FREE MARKET! RUINING COMPANIES WITH THEIR BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND NOT MAKING GAMES FOR TRUE GAMERZ LIKE US! GAAAAAAAAAH

this makes no sense. Nothing wrong with the Wii doing well, but it would be nice if there were more fun, well made games on it after over two years. Still only have, like, five games.

Posted by Ant

I was being semi-sarcastic. What with the caps and all. Newest game I have for it is Brawl :/

Posted by final kaoss

and now your starting to see where I'm coming from. It almost seems as if the majority of games that nintendo make for the wii rely on nostalgia, as if they've lost their innovation.

SMG is pretty much a collectathon based on mario 64, with noticable changes/tweaks

Posted by Ant

that's how most games series work buddy. don't need to fix what ain't broken.

Quoted post: It almost seems as if the majority of games that nintendo make for the wii rely on nostalgia

the games that rely on nostalgia (zelda, mario, metroid) are actually good. The problem is every other game on the system.

Posted by final kaoss

Metroid & the legend of zelda, mario kart & paper mario are forgivable. The mario collectathons (super mario galaxy & sunshine for following mario 64 and collecting tons of **** as a base)... not so much neither is mario party..

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: the games that rely on nostalgia (zelda, mario, metroid) are actually good. The problem is every other game on the system.

Quoted post: (super mario galaxy

dude, that game was great. It was easily one of the best games of the year when it came out.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Bottum Line: Many 3rd party companies aren't interested in making higher teir games for the Wii. Idk how someone can bash Nintendo for their games when Nintendo is really the only ones making Wii games worth playing.

Nintendo has failed at creating interest amoung 3rd party companies to develop games for us dedicated gamers. Nintendo has done fine elsewhere, considering their sales are ****ing off the chart. We're the weird Wii owners that want AAA titles, most people don't. I just find it difficult to call a company that makes money a failure.

Posted by Speedfreak

Fire Emblem.

Posted by WillisGreeny

So for Nintendo's immensive 3rd party repertoire: Fire Emblem.

The Wii's 3rd-party games are coming this year: Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Madworld, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Karous, Klonoa, Monster Hunter, Muramasa, No More Heroes 2, Conduit, House of the Dead, Valhalla Knights, and maybe even Sadness if Nibris is a real company after all are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully more good ones will be announced at E3 this year, too, a few of which will make it out before Christmas.

Wouldn't doubt a lot of those get delayed. That and half of those game aren't at all interesting. Might change my mind once I see some reviews, but interest is not engaged.

Posted by final kaoss

Er... First you say they failed, then you say you find it difficult to call them a failure, er make up your mind kid!!!:D:D:D:D

Quoting Iron Koala:

Nintendo has failed at creating interest amoung 3rd party companies to develop games for us dedicated gamers. Nintendo has done fine elsewhere, considering their sales are ****ing off the chart. We're the weird Wii owners that want AAA titles, most people don't. I just find it difficult to call a company that makes money a failure.

Posted by Last Fog

Quoting Prince Shondronai: The Wii's 3rd-party games are coming this year: Arc Rise Fantasia, Fragile, Madworld, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Karous, Klonoa, Monster Hunter, Muramasa, No More Heroes 2, Conduit, House of the Dead, Valhalla Knights, and maybe even Sadness if Nibris is a real company after all are the ones I'm looking forward to the most. Hopefully more good ones will be announced at E3 this year, too, a few of which will make it out before Christmas.
Yes! This will finally be the year the Wii shines and shows it's true potential with great and innovative games from 3rd parties! Just like last year. And 2007.

These discussions are always the same and end in the same conclusion: The wii is a hot piece of brownie, but it's making Nintendo rich and that's all that matters. More than half the people buy one just for wii sports or wii fit anyhow.

Quoted post: Er... First you say they failed, then you say you find it difficult to call them a failure, er make up your mind kid!!!

One would hope you can see the difference between the two sentences. Likely do.

Posted by WillisGreeny

[quote=final kaoss;919486]Er... First you say they failed, then you say you find it difficult to call them a failure, er make up your mind kid!!!:D:D:D:D

Take your meds, old man. First I said they failed at a task, then I said they succeeded at making profits. Learn to comprehend.

Posted by maian

Saying that Galaxy is just the same formula as SM64 and too similar is...pretty dumb. Pretty much the only thing that connects the two is the same basic gameplay (As in, the way Mario runs and jumps), and the fact that you collect stars. 64 took place entirely on giant (for the time) free roam levels. Galaxy's star missions are, in many many cases, very linear. 64 had bigger worlds and less levels with a hub world packed with secrets. Galaxy had an extremely simplified hub world, and was filled with many, many more levels that each offered unique experiences.

Anyway, even beginning to think that the Wii is anything close to the failure of Nintendo is extremely stupid. Nintendo makes, almost every month, twice as much money as 360, PS3, and PSP combined. There is NO WAY Nintendo is going out. And yes, it might deteriorate into a mass of stupid casual games that nobody once, but if it makes money, the company will survive always.

However, do I believe that, as of right now, Wii is a failure to core gamers? Absolutely. I find it ridiculous how after owning my Wii for two years, I only have five games, whereas I've owned my PS3 for less than six months and I have seven, probably eight tomorrow. It seems for me that, when the Wii has good stuff to offer, PS3 has...better stuff. (And 360) The only exceptions for me are Galaxy, Prime, and Brawl.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I have the same list as Maian, but with the addition of Megaman 9 and My Life As A King (I'm a sucker for stupid sandbox games like these)

Posted by maian

I got Mega Man 9 for free on PS3 :cookie:

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well aren't you special... :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Iron Koala;919458]So for Nintendo's immensive 3rd party repertoire: Fire Emblem.

You have the right idea, but that is the incorrect question.

Also, Wii does actually make for a pretty awesome NES. To be honest, I'd own one if it was a standalone product that just played VC games.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Emulators are still my VC of choice, unless it's an N64 game.

Posted by Speedfreak

I very much enjoy the Classic Controller, and would much rather play Mario 3 on that beauty from my sofa on my big TV than sit at a desk with my s[COLOR=lightgreen]h[/COLOR]itty Nyko Airflow. There's something immensely pleasurable about seeing them all lined up on that simple dashboard, too. Plus I get to endorse true quality with monies.

Posted by Linko_16

People have been trying to shout that each console after SNES will be Nintendo's last, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're still trying to say it even for a console as wildly successful as the Wii.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Same with the DS. I've heard countless times how the PSP would destroy Nintendo...and yet, it's still kicking ***.

Only time people said that was in the first year when the DS had no games. Then games started coming out and people stopped giving a **** about the PSP. Now people just buy the PSP for homebrew ****. System doesn't sell any games at all.

Posted by Speedfreak

Well yeah, people always say "Nintendo's screwed" in the first year of their console's life because that's how long it takes to swiftly prove them wrong.

I've said "there's more Wii games I want than games for other systems this year" several times before, but I think this might actually be the first time I don't end up having to take it back. And it's because of mostly Japanese titles, too.

Unlike most other Nintendo consoles it usually don't take over two years to start seeing a lot of good games.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was pretty apparant from the first 8 months that Wii was dominating, though.

Posted by Kutlass

Quoting final kaoss: and now your starting to see where I'm coming from. It almost seems as if the majority of games that nintendo make for the wii rely on nostalgia, as if they've lost their innovation.

that's the best thing about those games, and the main reason i have a wii. if it wasn't for nostalgia, i probably wouldn't be interested in current-gen video games at all. can't think of a single title on the ps3 or 360 i'm actually interested in playing. and there is plenty of innovation to be found in games like SMG, but obviously they don't want to change absolutely everything so it doesn't even feel like you're playing a mario game. it's designed to appeal to those who grew up with mario games, and that combination of innovation and familiar nostalgia-inducing elements is a large part of what makes the games continue to sell so well.

[quote]SMG is pretty much a collectathon based on mario 64, with noticable changes/tweaks

no

Quoted post: It was pretty apparant from the first 8 months that Wii was dominating, though.

No one is denying the Wii is selling ****ing retardedly, but there's still **** all when it comes to games.

Posted by Speedfreak

Yeah, but only an idiot would say "they're doomed" because they don't like the games if the system had yet to have a single month where it didn't sell out.

No one likes the games. Even the kids the parents buy them for don't even like them.

But yeah, Nintendo is further from doom now than they ever have been.

Posted by Kutlass

SimAnimals looks like a game i would be very interested in playing.

Posted by Pikamon

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the Wii right now. Animal Crossing was a rehash of old content and there really hasn't been a brand new game that wasn't a party game in a while (first party). I am sick of all these Wii Sports/resort/etc games that are coming out. It just seems like they're catering to their new crowds while the true fans are idling by just waiting for a new Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pikmin (a new one, not a remake), Kid Icarus, etc.

I'm glad to see so many nice third party games getting released, but still, I bought a Nintendo to play Nintendo games. Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, and the other games they've released are nice, but it's been so long now since we've seen a good, new one that I just don't play my wii anymore except for the Virtual Console.

Posted by Sonicthehedgehog1234

No probably not. people probably thought the sega genisis was the last console to be made.

Posted by Inuyasha

Ok the wii being the last system. I dont think so.

Posted by Pikamon

It has already been leaked that there's going to be another Wii (people are just calling it the Wii 2, but I'm sure that will change). It's supposed to take the motion control even further and it's supposed to launch in about 2 years or so, which is far too soon (imo) since there are hardly any good games for the current system as it is. This info isn't official so take it with a grain of salt.

I'm taking that with enough salt to melt the polar icecaps, Pikamon. Nothing's been "leaked." That sounds more like random guesswork to me. It's a given that Nintendo's going to release a new system someday, but pinning down a release window and saying it's going to "take the motion controls even further" is silly. They're already taking the motion controls even further with the Wii Motion +.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Funny to hear that people needed a leak to know whether or not Nintendo would make another system. BIG FIND JEFFERY, THE GUY WHO WORKS AT THE SUPER SECRET FINDING-THINGS-OUT AGENCY. hahaaa

but seriously. I'm shocked...

Not whether they will or not that's the leak, but the timeframe. Which, really, sounds like guessing. That's around 5 or 6 years, which has been typical for consoles.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Hard to leak info like that when Nintendo themselves are most likely guessing.

Chances are Nintendo already has a timeframe like every other company.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Which is a guestamation in of itself. I'm just saying the leak is pointless, considering companies 95% of the time fall behind their initial time frames, and just thinking back to the Dolphin/Game cube leaks its clear Nintendo changes their mind in development anyways. The substance of this information really just comes down to saying Nintendo plans on making another console in the next few years, which is a "duh" finding.

Well, obviously this leak is pretty bull****. But I wouldn't call Nintendo's timeframe a "guess." They've been releasing console long enough that it's based on a lot more than that.

Posted by Screenname

Quoting Jesse Smith: They said da N64 was a failure cause it was hard to make games for it. Then Nintendo made da Game Cube.

They said da Game Cube was a failure. Then Nintendo made da Wee-wee.

final kaoss said da Wee-wee was a failure, and every one knows Nintendo is going to make another system, then another, then another...!!! :D
They said Sega Saturn was a failure but then they made dream-....oh.

Wii is not a failure though

Posted by Enviscity

Quoting Inuyasha: Ok the wii being the last system. I dont think so.

Yeah, Nintendo came a long way....many games will remain treasured as gold and continue to shine through ... You think they have a trump card ?

Posted by Degeneration

Because the OP doesn't like the Wii's games, Nintendo will surely drop from the console race. Sales numbers be damned!

Quoting Pikamon: It has already been leaked that there's going to be another Wii (people are just calling it the Wii 2, but I'm sure that will change). It's supposed to take the motion control even further and it's supposed to launch in about 2 years or so, which is far too soon (imo) since there are hardly any good games for the current system as it is. This info isn't official so take it with a grain of salt.

- When Rumors Get Too Much Attention, vol. 655

Posted by final kaoss

Nah, I have several wii games & don't feel that way anymore.

Quoting Degeneration: Because the OP doesn't like the Wii's games, Nintendo will surely drop from the console race. Sales numbers be damned!

- When Rumors Get Too Much Attention, vol. 655

Posted by riolumaster

No, They might make A HD Wii.

Also Making a remake of N64

Posted by Ant

a remake of the nintendo 64....

people believe that?

They already did the required redesign of the N64. It was a funky-looking Pikachu one.