Gaming Backlog: Metal Gear Solid 3

Posted by Speedfreak

I figure you guys must be done with Shadow of the Colossus by now. The next game was to be Metal Gear Solid 3, so here's the thread. Please post if you are going to play.

We can also discuss the next game to play. I'm nominating Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter, Another World and Mother 3.

I've been playing and I'll post my opinions later.

Posted by coromoro

I haven't beat Shadow of the Colossus yet. I'm also nearly done MGS2, so I'll be playing along with you soon. As for the next game... I've already played Mother 3, and it wasn't long ago. I usually prefer to wait a while until I play a game again, but I could make an exception for Mother 3 since it's so da[b]mn good.[/b]

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Ugh, should of posted this sooner. I just got to where Eva is an injured sack of annoying.

Posted by Speedfreak

Haven't gotten there yet, though in fairness all the female characters could probably be described as a "sack of annoying".

Posted by Speedfreak

I suppose I'll start posting.

I still don't like the characters, MGS women somehow manage to be the most obnoxious female characters ever. Biker Tits and Traitor Whore annoy me the most. I get on alright with Black Man and British Man, though.

The dialogue is still ridiculous. When the drunk Russian guy talks about his designs for a bipedal tank he says something to the effect of "A kind of Metal Gear, if you will". Sorry, does the phrase "Metal Gear" actually mean something outside of this series? Someone explain that to me. If you consider this a spoiler you're probably an idiot.

The camo system is completely pointless, it's obviously born out of the need to say something flashy on the back of the box. All it ever amounts to is pausing the game and picking the largest number every time you move.

The game's still as unfriendly as the others. I'm willing to admit I suck at the game, but the instructions for CQC are especially vague and misleading. I had to spend a good 4 hours or so on the intro part of the game before I figured out how the fighting worked. Would it kill them to make the first guard be completely isolated, have a broken radio and suffer from narcolepsy just so I can have a doll to mess around with? They could work it into the setting, maybe the other guards don't like him or something. I mean, the first enemy in Super Mario Bros is a defenceless Goomba, the first thing you ever hit with a weapon in Half-Life 2 are planks of wood covering a door. So why does the first enemy in MGS3 have the ability to call in 50 armed guards and force you into hiding for 5 solid minutes?

The Pain and The Fear bosses were pretty boring. And ridiculous. They're like their Megaman counterparts, except drunk and without the will to live.

Posted by Speedfreak

Also, this game is incredible.

Am I seriously the only one playing?

Posted by coromoro

Yeah, man, it looks like it. You made this thread too soon. I'm still working on MGS2.

Posted by Speedfreak

I'm actually going to bump this forever. I barely get to play anyway so I'm going to post updates as I get through it at a snail's pace.

Let me reiterate what I've already said. This game is fucking incredible.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Well, duh.

Posted by Zeta

[quote]The Pain and The Fear bosses were pretty boring. And ridiculous. They're like their Megaman counterparts,

... Huh?

Posted by Speedfreak

They're ridiculous and one-dimensional, like Megaman bosses. There's Hornet Man, Fire Man, Elec Man, Shadow Man etc

The End was amazing though. Someday I'm gonna play again and beat him with a knife and no gagets or firearms.

Posted by Fate

FYI, fans of the series wish the villains of Metal Gear were more fleshed out. Oftentimes you find the villains being interesting but nothing is said about them. I wish I could find out more of their backgrounds.

Posted by Speedfreak

I just wish they weren't so stupid, but then I don't like any of the characters. I'd love an MGS with characters considerably less than perfect, but then I could say that about most games.

The level design in 3 ****es over the first two, previously they felt like little more than small sections of a Pac-Man maze. The level of complexity is wonderful. I also like how the plot isn't full of the psuedo-scientific nonsense that's in the other 3 games, it's much easier to digest. I'm content to pretend 3 is the only game in the series.

Posted by Fate

!

I have no idea what you're saying! There's some kooky science all over the place, including in Portable Ops and serious references from "future" games.

Did you even play 4?

Posted by Speedfreak

What I mean is there's no mention of nanomachines, genes, giant information filters, bio-engineered viruses, stealth suits or hyper-advanced AI. It's a dude in the jungle stopping a weird rocket-proppelled nuke launcher thing (which at least isn't a bipedal railgun tank), set in the 60s with standard sensible weapons (I'll let the sensors and directional mic slide) against standard soldiers. It's a lot more believeable. I haven't played 4 but I read the plot synopsis. I at least saw enough to know it's comparable to 2 in terms of technobabble.

Posted by Big Boss

I'll probably bump this thread once I set on a journey to play all MGS games in their chronological order.

Posted by Zeta

I guess I need to pick this up again sometime too, since it's in my handful of games I haven't beaten yet.

Beat COVERED IN BEES, then just stopped playing.

Posted by Speedfreak

There's a move I like to call The Knee, after Captain Falcon's infamous move in Super Smash Bros. It's probably the easiest CQC attack to pull off and instantly knocks out a guard. It's my "go to" move in any chaotic situation.

Posted by Zeta

So I got back on this since it's like one of the 5 games I own and haven't beaten.

And I am ****ing awful. Was way too reliant of MGS1/2's radar, and now that's biting me in the ***.

Posted by coromoro

I started this game the other day. Freaking hard without the radar, as Zeta said. It's pretty cool so far though.

Posted by maian

Try playing it on European Extreme without radar. Oh man. I actually like the game a lot more without it though, its more immersive and tests your skills more.

If anyone here is playing the original version, I highly recommend you get Subsistence. The wrap-around camera makes a world of difference.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting maian: If anyone here is playing the original version, I highly recommend you get Subsistence. The wrap-around camera makes a world of difference.

One thing I didn't like about Subsistence was that the game allowed you to switch between cameras, which made some areas easier to get through because you could use both cameras to get the best view of your surroundings. It felt like cheating whenever I used the top-down view.

Posted by Zeta

Okay, I have to ask... What the **** is with the little frog statues everywhere?

Posted by maian

I've never done it, but I believe if you shoot all of them, you get Stealth Camoflauge at the end of the game. It's not easy though. There's one in every single area of the game. So every time you ever enter any new "room", there's a frog statue somewhere to be found.

Posted by Fate

Yep, and it gets really tough when you're running away from the Shagohod.

Posted by Speedfreak

I found them really annoying, the guards didn't even pay attention to the noise. They're less of an easter egg and more of a "Hurr I'm a game so here's something stupid" every 15 minutes.

Posted by Fate

Guards paid attention to the noise for me. The Kerotan were a nod to Konami's subsidiary that makes toys for children. Plus, it's Metal Gear, where **** isn't exactly normal in the first place. There's supposed to be some comedic suspension of disbelief when you run into things like that.

Posted by Speedfreak

It was alright in Twin Snakes with the Mario and Yoshi statue because it was more subtle, but the frogs are so obvious. They might as well put a clown in some of the lockers.

Posted by maian

...Except in the majority of the rooms, you're not even going to see them unless you're looking for them, in which case it won't even matter, because that's, y'know, the point. If it's hidden, who cares? It's just another one of those things in Metal Gear.

Posted by Zeta

Beat it the other day. The best part of the game was the ladder.

Posted by Speedfreak

Honestly I don't think I've even missed any so far. I just keep finding the **** things everywhere.