Electronic Gaming Monthly Shutting Down for Good

Posted by maian

[url=http://ps3.ign.com/articles/942/942015p1.html]RIP[/url] :(

Although I haven't gotten it (Or any mag) in a couple of years, EGM was easily the best gaming mag, period. I think they had a lot of integrity, and consistently had the most unbiased opinion. Although it won't be any harder to live without a magazine, it's pretty sad. ;| Opinions?

Posted by Synth2012

*gasp*

That is sad... I used to subscribe, a while ago. Stopped because I didn't have money to burn on a magazine, but I always meant to start up the subscription sometime. EGM really was basically the best video game mag, imo.

Posted by maian

I couldn't even stand to read any other magazine after subscribing to EGM. GamePro, for example, is just terrible.

Posted by Synth2012

I haven't even seen a GamePro in years. I don't love Game Informer, either... Gamestop suckered me into it.

Posted by Linko_16

Oh, geez, seriously? Probably the last gaming magazine I will subscribe to, then. Like Maian mentioned, I can't even believe how bad other magazines are.

I'd really like to hear a reason as to why. It's not like it was losing money, was it?

Posted by Crazy K

I guess Ziff Davis Media filed for bankruptcy sometime last year.

From Wikipedia:

The company (Ziff Davis Media) announced that it had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on March 5, 2008.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziff_Davis#cite_note-0"][/URL]

Posted by Prince Shondronai

*** ******! First GameFan, and now EGM! ******* ***, I hate all the other mags on the market! ****!

At least 1up.com is going to keep going.

Posted by Big Boss

EGM was probably the best multiplatform consumer magazine. Their Japanese game development issue from a few months back is by far their best work. It's a real shame. I'll probably gravitate towards Edge magazine now.

Too bad mags like EGM shut down while game journalism garbage like Game Informer is still alive and kicking.

Giant article from Gamasutra here: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21759

Posted by maian

It was so good. :(

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;917146][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]EGM was probably the best multiplatform consumer magazine. Their Japanese game development issue from a few months back is by far their best work. It's a real shame. I'll probably gravitate towards Edge magazine now.

Too bad mags like EGM shut down while game journalism garbage like Game Informer is still alive and kicking.

Giant article from Gamasutra here: [URL]http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21759[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Edge? Really?

Almost forgot: It's all sony's fault.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting Speedfreak: Edge? Really?

I've read a review or two from them, and a couple of articles, and they're generally better-written than most consumer gaming magazines, so I'm interested.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

How gay. Like everyone already said, it was the only one I bothered reading.

**** sucks.

Posted by Dr. Rockso

Good, this means Ill stop getting issues of a magazine I haven't subscribed for.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=Big Boss;917281][FONT=trebuchet ms][COLOR=yellowgreen]I've read a review or two from them, and a couple of articles, and they're generally better-written than most consumer gaming magazines, so I'm interested.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Better written I'll give you, but their reviews are often an exercise in epic point-missing.

Posted by syndrome

Dang... I got a free subscription for this once, and it was pretty good.

I'll miss you seanbaby. :(

Posted by Linko_16

http://www.seanbaby.com/

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

The shutdown of EGM was a long time coming. However, Ziff Davis firing nearly all of its personalities from 1UP came the **** out of left field. 1UP Yours better come back on air soon or I'll be piiiiiiiissed.

Posted by maian

Forgive me for not reading much about it, but why has EGM had it coming? I know there's deeper reasons, but from what I've read all over the internets about this, it is almost universal opinion that EGM was by far the best (or the only good) gaming mag.

Posted by WillisGreeny

The problem with EGM was that it was too good. See, people smart enough to know its quality were also smart enough to know to look everything up online, instead of paying for a magazine. 1 by 1, people who knew better kept droping subscriptions, leading to EGM's demise. That's my theory, and it's a **** shame its leaving.

It was the best. But it was owned by Ziff Davis who filed for bankruptcy around a year ago. That, and print is essentially dead. And the fact that it's been known for awhile now that they weren't getting enough ads in the magazine to support the cost.

So the magazine was in trouble for a long time now and UGO didn't want to support print (can't blame them)

Posted by WillisGreeny

Three cheers for the internet!

Only reason magazines still sell is because companies purposely reserve certain, big exclusives for said magazines. No reason they shouldn't be posted in full on the internet. It's good that magazines are dying.

Except for the fact that, due to EGM dying all the cool guys from 1UP are gone. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Posted by maian

That's a fair argument, I suppose. ;| I would never actually buy a gaming mag to get my information about the industry, since the internet exists. But, I did love reading EGM regardless. Bah. Looks like it's IGN for me, now.

IGN's new page design is ****ing abysmal. kotaku does the job.

Posted by maian

I don't care about the page layout, and it's also only on the main page. Many people disagree with me, but almost all the time, I agree with IGN's opinion. They're for the most part unbiased, and I usually like what I see, not to mention they're always providing new news.

http://www.ign.com/
http://xbox360.ign.com/

These two pages look the same. And they are ****. How they had it before was actually pretty okay. As is, only a very tiny box has anything relevant to say.

Posted by maian

Oh yeah. It's expanding. :cool:

In any case, I still don't care. It's more or less almost the same exact thing as it was before, just a little more harsh on the eyes. I really don't mind it though.

It's WAY different than before. Before it had links to the consoles on the side with a personalized box in the centre of the page where you could tab through news, reviews, updates, etc. Now the news is compressed to a tiny little box and everything else is off the front page or located somewhere stupid. **** used to be centralized, now it's just a mess.

classic maian liking it though

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Thats awesome, the second magazine I got for signing up for a gamestop card being canceled after the first couple mags I get.

Happened to a lot of people. Signed up for a new year and a couple weeks later the magazine shuts down. Never a good idea to pay money upfront in this economy.

Posted by Ant

or sign up for anything that place offers.

serves you right you ****ing idiot moron

Posted by Synth2012

It makes me sad that magazines and newspapers are dying. I mean, yeah... I like the convenience of the internet and all that but am I the only one who appreciates actually sitting down and holding something that I'm reading? I used to want to be a journalist, I was going to go to a college that had specific classes in "magazine journalism" and everything, but I gave up on that thanks to the slow death of the industry. But oh well, it’s just the progression of time, I suppose.

Posted by WillisGreeny

I'm sure plantation owners were sad when slavery started to end; point being it's probably for the best. Journalists are becoming bloggers it seems.

Posted by Synth2012

Comparing publication of magazines to slavery. Nice. :P

Posted by WillisGreeny

Comparing obsolete technologies, so yeah. Though Slavery is a tad bit more useful still.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Ant: or sign up for anything that place offers.

serves you right you ****ing idiot moron

I bought fallout 3 special edition for 80 bucks and the hardcover collector's guide for 40 bucks, so signing up for the card also granted me 10 percent off the guide and a 1 year subscription to the magazine so why don't you calm down and go play with your action figures.

Oh I get it now, Y2K is a sort of troll. I see. For awhile there I thought he was serious about this, but I can tell now it's an act.

Quoted post: am I the only one who appreciates actually sitting down and holding something that I'm reading?

Nah, I like sitting down to read books. But let's face it, books and magazines are pretty different and there's no reason a one page article shouldn't be on a website instead. Plus, e-book readers have already been out for a couple years, so books are gonna be dead soon anyways.

*Grumble* I have begrudgingly subscribed to GamePro Magazine. Those trees aren't going to chop themselves down, after all. You'll thank me when the asteroid impacts the Earth in 2012 and there are fewer trees flying through the air to kill you.

Posted by Y2kMISFIT

Quoting Vampiro V. Empire: Oh I get it now, Y2K is a sort of troll. I see. For awhile there I thought he was serious about this, but I can tell now it's an act.

It's easy to call someone... anyone a troll on a message board when you have almost 30,000 posts...

Thats kind of disgusting... thats like higher than your gamerscore... I would be embarrassed to contribute to such an awful web-site a quarter of what you do...

(waits 5 seconds for vamps witty one liner)

Just a silent chuckle to myself.

Posted by final kaoss

psst, didn't he tell you that he's aiming for an overall post count of more than 500,000?:D:D:D:D

Quoting Y2kMISFIT: It's easy to call someone... anyone a troll on a message board when you have almost 30,000 posts...

Thats kind of disgusting... thats like higher than your gamerscore... I would be embarrassed to contribute to such an awful web-site a quarter of what you do...

(waits 5 seconds for vamps witty one liner)