So, dare me.

Posted by #061402

If I get Dead Space, what should I do to make sure it's a disturbing experience? I figured I'd play in the living room, hook up the surround, alone at home (with the exception of my cat) and no lights and all that common stuff.

Any other stuff I should do? Dare me to do it!

Posted by Ant

be naked

Posted by Lord of Spam

sounds about right

also, try playing it while on shrooms

Posted by #061402

Wouldn't it be kinda anti-scary if all I saw was pink teddy bears that tried to kill me? I mean, I've already seen that in Maple.

Posted by The Judge

Really, really crank up the volume, turn off the lights, get pleasantly buzzed first, and use a controller that malfunctions a lot.

Actually scratch that last bit, but getting buzzed will make the game scarier.

Posted by Ant

this man knows what he's talking about.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the judge is the master of this ****

dont play during the day too

Posted by Linko_16

Hook your nipples up to a module that is programmed to shock you whenever your heart rate gets too high. Or too low.

Posted by Slade

Quoting #061402: Wouldn't it be kinda anti-scary if all I saw was pink teddy bears that tried to kill me? I mean, I've already seen that in Maple.

Do pink teddy bears grow in the forest, bro? I didn't think so. You'd most likely just be more sensitive to everything the game did, so if something was scary it'd be REALLY scary. Even harsh sounds can be really unsettling while tripping.

that said, do it. but do at least 2 doses so a couple hours in you just lay back and trip hard while your character gets eaten and you can't do anything about it.

Posted by #061402

Nah, I prefer my games unspoiled by drugs and sex uninhibited by alcohol. Thanks though. I'll let you know how many controllers I crush out of pure fear.

Posted by The Judge

It's just startling, not scary.

Posted by ExoXile

1-3 beers could actually make a game 300% better on occasions.
And it's also a 100% effective sniper pill, to me, at least.

Posted by #061402

Yeah, I kinda drift off into thoughts a bit too much when I get alcohol in my body. I remember when Exo and I had had a good couple o' beers and played a few versus matches on Soul Calibur. He beat me silly.

Posted by Ant

it's soul calibur. the game requires pretty much no skill.

Posted by #061402

Well obviously, my button-mashing skills are severely hindered when there's alcohol in my blood.

Posted by #061402

Also I'm kinda thinking about staying up all night. I'm just not sure if the game would be scarier when you're tired or not. Although I do have this weird ability to semi-sleep while playing. There have been numerous times when I've been playing some game, fallen asleep for five-ten minutes, yet kept on running into a wall or something. I thought that if there are any monsters that pop out from this or that hole, it'd be a ****scare if I was falling asleep.

Posted by ExoXile

Sounds like a plan.

Posted by #061402

Bleh, my master plan failed pretty hard. I ordered this Monday, since Tuesday was a red day, so that I'd get it when my father had gone to work. But I guess they took Monday off as well, lazy bastards, because it wasn't sent 'til Monday. And now, to my surprise, no game. ****ing postaldudes.

Posted by cool gamer dad

hey this is interesting you guys should get a blog!

Posted by The Judge

Cats suck

Posted by ☆Ezhno☆

The United States Postal Service is the real horror story.

Posted by #061402

At least the US guys deliver on Saturdays. Our guys don't.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

numbers man if you're going to post about your life at least make it interesting like vamp or klarth did

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

so yeah... i woke up today... it was pretty good... i had some cornflakes, they tasted good. then my dad called and was all like 'son you had better get started on your video game' and i thought about that. furthermore,

Posted by cool gamer dad

here's how my days went lately *wakes up at 12* *isn't getting yelled at to get up for work* *is home alone* *masturbates then plays mass effect on hardcore*

*wakes up at 11* *isn't getting yelled at to get up for work* *is home alone* *wonders why he isn't working* *forgets about it* *has a cigarette* *goes to the bathroom to masturbate but forgets and washes hands instead, then plays mass effect on hardcore*

*wakes up at 12* *isn't getting yelled at to get up for work* *is home alone* *wonders why he isn't working* *realizes that the reason he isn't working is b/c he's supposed to be applying for classes and by now it's probably too late* *freaks out and has like, 10 cigarettes* *turns on computer to apply for classes, forgets, then beats mass effect on hardcore*

Posted by #061402

Quoting The X: numbers man if you're going to post about your life at least make it interesting like vamp or klarth did

No.

Posted by Ant

such a ****ty game to be wasting time on.

smokers are jokers.

Posted by #061402

oh wait

Though I'll wait 'til Monday before I play it so I can hook it up properly.

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

been playing dead space.

it's not scary, but they keep up the tense atmosphere the entire time. Which, really, is often a better experience. It's like bioshock, just with more gore and intensity.

best "survivial horror" game out there though

Posted by #061402

I downloaded a bunch of videos from the Marketplace and watched them, and now it seems less scary and just, well, yeah, like it has a tense atmosphere.

Also, I saw some guy on a forum who'd played it through twice on Easy, and was planning on playing through on the Impossible difficulty for his third time. I bet he'll play for ten minutes, then never play again/go back to easy.

Posted by The Judge

It was really just shocking. Moreso an action game with fear-evoking enemies and not a lot of ammo. But I guess that's what separates survival horror from regular horror anyways. Still, not "scary."

Yeah, I'm playing on easy. Not the type of game where it has to be difficult. Fun as is. Though I have jumped a handful of times.

Quoted post: and not a lot of ammo

tons of ammo. even on the higher difficulties. good way to make money and max out our stats.

also, I don't know about you guys but I prefer tense games. Mainly because I honestly don't get scared by movies or games anymore. Haven't since I was a kid. Like I said, only thing that works is cheap-scares, and really, that's not "scary" that's just making something jump out at you.

Posted by #061402

Sadly, I was never scared by this game. :( I was surprised once; when you need to get some kind of detonator you have to walk in space, yeah? So when I got back and went space walkin', I thought I saw something, turned around, and then got attacked.

Though the "Regenerator" was kinda creepy. Even when you had shot his legs and head off you still felt like he was going to jump your *** any second.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

if you spend a whole game anticipating a scare you're going to be p. disappointed

Posted by The Judge

Truth. But the game puts you in a tense mood, so things tend to startle you more. But yeah, if you're going into the game thinking "OH CRAP THIS IS GOING TO BE SO SCARY" then it's a dissapointment.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

the best OH ****ING **** SCARY moments are in games where your health is severely limited and the checkpoints aren't so generous

having like 10HP left and only a couple rounds left in your shootan weapon is way more scary than THIS MONSTER IS BROWN AND JUMPED OUT OF THE SHADOWS

Posted by ExoXile

The only thing that made half-jump was at the end, in mr space shuttle.
But even then it was, woah, guess you beat the ga-, well look at that.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

a darkness advanced where the only posts you can read are exoxile's

truly... a survival.... horror....

Posted by ExoXile

In a world where X was actually a nice guy.
Oh wait, division with zero is impossible.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

f... f.... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

*is blown into another dimension*

Posted by #061402

Seems that crazy spelling is in fact translatable. Found myself a little hidden message.

Quoted post:
Sadly, I was never scared by this game. I was surprised once; when you need to get some kind of detonator you have to walk in space, yeah? So when I got back and went space walkin', I thought I saw something, turned around, and then got attacked.

Though the "Regenerator" was kinda creepy. Even when you had shot his legs and head off you still felt like he was going to jump your *** any second.

Even the developers said it was never supposed to be scary. Just tense and spooky. Just got marketed as a OH **** SCARY game.

And the regenerator wasn't really that bad the first time, but the next couple times you meet him, I anyways, felt a lot more rushed. Even though I have a lot of ammo and health, just the fact that he'd always come down a vent near me made me speed the **** up and get worried a couple times.

Quoted post: the best OH ****ING **** SCARY moments are in games where your health is severely limited and the checkpoints aren't so generous

having like 10HP left and only a couple rounds left in your shootan weapon is way more scary than THIS MONSTER IS BROWN AND JUMPED OUT OF THE SHADOWS

More annoying than frustrating. Games just don't scare me, so when I have no ammo and no health I'm not scared, I'm just annoyed that I'm going to die soon and have to do the whole thing over again.

Probably why I like dead space so much. I can just enjoy the game. So rare in the "survival horror" genre

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

depends on the game i guess, i really liked moments of desperation in RE4

Posted by #061402

Huh, I never experienced one of those in RE4. Sure, I could walk around and realize to my horror that I didn't have 30k for a rocket launcher, but that was about it. In Dead Space I ran out of health restoring items a few times, at least.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=#061402;920540]Huh, I never experienced one of those in RE4. Sure, I could walk around and realize to my horror that I didn't have 30k for a rocket launcher, but that was about it. In Dead Space I ran out of health restoring items a few times, at least.

There is plenty of enemies that would put you into desperation.
To mention a few:
El gigante.
El Salvador/Bella sister
Ganados w/ dynamite.

Hell, even Ganados without dynamite on normal could make for some really quick deaths.

You have forgotten all of this, I am truly sad.

Posted by #061402

They're all easy unless you run out of ammo. And you basically have to shoot at the sky for half an hour to run out of ammo completely. Having a chainsaw wielding enemy on your *** instilled the same feeling as the one I got with the Regenerator, but that's it.

Posted by ExoXile

On normal ammo is kind of scarce, and hoards of ganados can make that a problem...
I know I tried yesterday.

Obviously you have been parted with it for too long to remember. D:

Posted by #061402

I remember making it through the game without dying once at least ten times.

First time, eh, I probably died a few times, but after that? Naw. Only thing that could kill you after that was the knife scene with Krauser.

Posted by cool gamer dad

you know, all this talk about zombies and **** makes me wanna pick this game up today.

though nothing will ever get my adrenaline pumping like a 20+ minute TvT at 250+ APM. holy dang bro, I shake for a good 10 minutes after that poop.

Posted by The Judge

Quoting #061402: They're all easy unless you run out of ammo.

If you're even halfway decent at the game, the knife is all you need.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=The Judge;920592]If you're even halfway decent at the game, the knife is all you need.
I ran through the whole game with the knife, remember?
Can't remember what bosses you couldn't kill with it, gotta do that again.

NOW THAT IS HARD.

Posted by #061402

Quoting The Judge: If you're even halfway decent at the game, the knife is all you need.

I prefer to play it safe with enemies that gleefully puts a chainsaw to your neck.

Quoted post: Huh, I never experienced one of those in RE4. Sure, I could walk around and realize to my horror that I didn't have 30k for a rocket launcher, but that was about it. In Dead Space I ran out of health restoring items a few times, at least.

Only time I got that feeling was defending the barn. That's about it.

And by the end of my game in Dead Space I had, like, 20 medium health packs and 15 large ones. Probably because I never used them...

Posted by #061402

Well, you played on Easy, didn't you? Pretty sure I wasted a few by mistake, but the rest I used because I needed them.

Yeah, but Normal isn't that much different. Drops are about the same. Only difference is less safes are open.

Posted by Ant

you actually played on easy? pusssssssssssssy.

Yeah, **** trying. Not to mention the higher difficulties are really quite easy all things considered, so I figured the additional supplies would be easy money to convert to power nodes.

Posted by #061402

I actually think I lost quite a few medpacks when fighting the Leviathan. Kept messing up when it barfed those little lava balls at you.

Posted by Ant

I dare you to say that to my face.

f[COLOR="Lime"]u[/COLOR]cking. dare you.

Posted by #061402

Sure. But I don't know where you live.

Posted by Ant

THE HUNT, BEGINS!

Quoted post: I actually think I lost quite a few medpacks when fighting the Leviathan. Kept messing up when it barfed those little lava balls at you.

bosses were easy in that game. just how I like 'em

Posted by #061402

Yeah, it was easy once I got it down. But like I said, I messed up.

Posted by ExoXile

And the main reason you hated Twilight Princess was because of easy bosses...

Posted by #061402

Nah, the only boss that was really easy was the last one. My problem with TP was that it was basically just... 1. Enter dungeon 2. Make your way through a few easy rooms. 3. Find item. 4. Find way to use it on boss. 5. Profit.

Dead Space - 1. Run 2. Find weapon 3. Shoot at anything that moves. 4. Find boss. 5. Fire on until death of either boss or yourself.

Difference? You could actually die in Dead Space, both against bosses and regular enemies.

Posted by ExoXile

I don't remember that you did...

Taking to me? Because they're too completely different genres. Dead Space was just right. The bosses weren't really treated like bosses at all. They were just there and you had to deal with them. Other than for the Leviathan, it was never a build up to an epic fight you knew was coming. Whereas TP, like all Zelda games, build up to a boss, make them epic in scope and story and build a reputation that no one else has any hope in defeating them. Then in TP, you just waltz right in and **** it up without losing a heart. They never fit their role. See the problem there? It actually makes everything have less weight and importance.

But I also really like TP, a lot. So, though it could be more difficult, it didn't detract from the experience. In that regard, you're thinking of someone else.

Me, I just hate the concept of bosses.

Posted by #061402

Quoting ExoXile: I don't remember that you did...

I died once against the Leviathan, once against the Swarmers, burned to death twice, died once against the Hive Mind, a Leaper got me once, that time when I jumped into space or when I died against the 'Splosives. And that's just the times I remember.

But yeah, I guess I have a bit of a problem with the bosses you describe, Vamp. Strong enemies that turn into bosses I can deal with, but when you go up against bosses known to have slain entire armies and you whoop its *** you just feel kinda "Meh" about having defeated it. Me, I felt it was too easy. Had some beautiful landscapes, but the lack of a challenge just ruined it for me.

Swarmers got me the first time actually. Was thinking "**** these dudes, can't take me" so I just kept killing the other guys around me and next thing you know I'm dead.

The two fire parts almost got me, especially when you were getting the singularity drive, because I kept backing up too far and the flame kept hitting me back there. But just survived.

Oh, and I died from a gravity panel. Trying to trick the AI into walking into one only for myself to back up into another I didn't see.

Posted by ExoXile

[quote=Vampiro V. Empire;921647]
Oh, and I died from a gravity panel. Trying to trick the AI into walking into one only for myself to back up into another I didn't see.
Haha, so did Numbers.
I made him do it.

Posted by #061402

Hahaha, oh yeah, that was pretty awesome.

"Watch out so you don-"
*Splat.*

But yeah, the Swarmers got me just as you were getting the explosive **** to blow the barricade. Pretty much thought the same thing as you did.