why the hell aren't 3rd parties backing the wii as much?

Posted by final kaoss

I just finished reading Gameinformer 189, I see a 2 page preview for street fighter IV & as you can guess it's coming out for 2 out of 3 systems, PS3 & XBOX 360. There's no **** reason why they couldn't have made a version for the wii as well and also, looking back at reviews in the past issues, 3rd parties tend to keep up this trend of leaving the wii behind but why when the wii is perfectly capable of playing the games they make? Sure some games using the wiimote+nunchuk are difficult to play without a classic GC controller (ssbb for instance...) but the devs should start remembering this when making ps3/xbox360 only games because most that i've seen, the wii can definately handle the graphics for at least 3/4's of them.

Posted by Synth2012

Probably has something to do with the audiences... 360 and PS3 games reach a large group of core gamers whereas Wii, not *quite* as much. Also, I assume the third parties have to make all kinds of changes to make their games wiimote compatible, which probably isn't worth it in the long run considering most gamers are going to opt to buy the games on the other systems if possible anyway, with the better graphics, downloadable content, etc.

Posted by maian

Quoting final kaoss: but why when the wii is perfectly capable of playing the games they make?

bol

Do you realize that the Wii's hardware is inferior in pretty much every single way to its competitors? I'm not saying it makes games any less good, but the Wii can most certainly NOT play many, many games on the other consoles. It can be argued that games such as Call of Duty 5 can be played on Wii, but the graphics and often size or dumbed down to be able to be played on Wii. And even if developers get past that, most of them don't want to start working on a unique Wiimote control scheme, when they're already making a superior version on other consoles.

Wii exclusive games will almost always be awesome, but don't expect any great multiplatform games to come out hardly ever.

Posted by Speedfreak

Metal Gear Solid 3 could be done (at least graphically) on a Wii. That's the kind of games that are missing. Your point is moot.

Posted by maian

Metal Gear Solid 3 was also a last gen game.

The OP is questioning why developers aren't making multiplatform versions of PS3/360 games for Wii. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's safe to say that they would have to spend more time making a dumbed down version, and even more time making a control scheme. Given the success that their games will have on the other two consoles, I'm assuming most developers don't bother. ;|

I think it woud be easy for any developer to make any game for Wii exclusively, and most Wii exclusive games turn out pretty good. But, I'm thinking most developers don't want to go through the time of making a seperate version of a game that's practically identical on PS3/360. ;|

Also, if I'm totally wrong, let me know, I just imagine that's the most logical answer.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Nintendo really should have given the Wii a bit more hardware power, from a business standpoint. If the gap between the Wii and the Xbox 360 had been comparable in size to the gap between the ps2 and the GAMECUBE last gen, the Wii would be getting a lot more multiplatform games, because developers would make their games for the Wii, and then port them to the 360 and ps3. That's what they did with the ps2 last gen, after all.

However, I'm as against that development philosophy as ever, as a gamer. Many multiplatform games last gen would have been much more technically impressive if they hadn't suffered from the ps2's hardware limitations and the normal issues that come with porting a game from any system to another one.

Developers should be concentrating more on the Wii, certainly, but in order to develop original games around the Wii's unique features, not so they can make a game to port to two other systems.

Posted by Unite

Quoting final kaoss: I just finished reading Gameinformer 189, I see a 2 page preview for street fighter IV & as you can guess it's coming out for 2 out of 3 systems, PS3 & XBOX 360. There's no **** reason why they couldn't have made a version for the wii as well and also, looking back at reviews in the past issues, 3rd parties tend to keep up this trend of leaving the wii behind but why when the wii is perfectly capable of playing the games they make? Sure some games using the wiimote+nunchuk are difficult to play without a classic GC controller (ssbb for instance...) but the devs should start remembering this when making ps3/xbox360 only games because most that i've seen, the wii can definately handle the graphics for at least 3/4's of them.

Sorry to say but wii can't even handle the title screen for the new re5

http://kotaku.com/5120353/wii-fit-moves-out-of-electronics-into-womens-clothing-department

Posted by #061402

Quoting Prince Shondronai: Nintendo really should have given the Wii a bit more hardware power, from a business standpoint.

On this I have to agree. I respect Nintendo for wanting to make something special, but when it's only Nintendo themselves who make good games (at least 95% of them or so), well... they're kinda just kicking their fans.

It would be one thing if Nintendo expanded and made games for the Wii non-stop, but that's not gonna happen, now is it?

Quoting Unite: Sorry to say but wii can't even handle the title screen for the new re5

http://kotaku.com/5120353/wii-fit-moves-out-of-electronics-into-womens-clothing-department

That made me laugh. Not sure if you put the right address in there though, or if you're telling the truth, as it links to "Wii in Women's Clothing Department."

Posted by ExoXile

The Wii is more powerful than it gets credit for, but yeah, clearly inferior to the power of 360 and PS3.

But the graphics of Galaxy and MP:3 is more than enough proof that the Wii can handle some awesome graphics, at 60fps nontheless.

The "Wii can't even handle the start up screen" could just mean that it can't handle the shaders, etc.
Doesn't mean it's incapable of displaying such graphics.

What people don't realize is that when the consoles utilizes 1080 as opposed to 480 or 576(for us Europeans.) they also need to have that extra power...
As long as you don't have a HD tv, the gap isn't as great as most people think.

Posted by Speedfreak

[quote=maian;915584]Metal Gear Solid 3 was also a last gen game.

Cop-out bullshit statement alert. The gameplay elements of Gears of War could run on a Wii, that is to say you could have a game that plays exactly like Gears of War on a Wii. The graphics wouldn't be as good, but if graphics are all a game needs to be next-gen then your point is redundant.

The point is MGS3 is a lot more complicated game mechanics-wise than Gears of War, and MGS3 could run on a PS2. Games like both Gears of War and MGS3 are what we want on Wii, power has nothing to do with it.

Posted by Prince Shondronai

Quoting Unite: Sorry to say but wii can't even handle the title screen for the new re5

The Super Nintendo could handle the title screen for RE5, if they made it with 16-bit graphics. How much system power do you need to say "PRESS A+B?"

Posted by Screenname

because of wiis stupid *** friends system

Posted by Speedfreak

Yes, that has a lot of influence on companies who make offline games. Idiot.

Posted by Big Boss

Quoting final kaoss: I just finished reading Gameinformer 189, I see a 2 page preview for street fighter IV & as you can guess it's coming out for 2 out of 3 systems, PS3 & XBOX 360. There's no **** reason why they couldn't have made a version for the wii as well and also, looking back at reviews in the past issues, 3rd parties tend to keep up this trend of leaving the wii behind but why when the wii is perfectly capable of playing the games they make? Sure some games using the wiimote+nunchuk are difficult to play without a classic GC controller (ssbb for instance...) but the devs should start remembering this when making ps3/xbox360 only games because most that i've seen, the wii can definately handle the graphics for at least 3/4's of them.

As far as Street Fighter IV, two of the major, possible reasons the game isn't coming out on the Nintendo Wii is the Wii Remote being the primary controller on the system, and the desire for arcade fidelity. I'd elaborate further if you really need me to, but please think about it first and see if you can figure it out for yourself. The second reason should easily come to you if your exposure and experience with fighting games involves an arcade background.

As for why publishers aren't supporting the system, let's be clear about one thing first. Publishers and developers are definitely supporting the Wii, but for the most part they aren't supporting it with the same type of games they support the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 with, and by comparison the PS2, Xbox and GCN. I could give you a bunch of logical, but ultimately secondary reasons. The real reason is rather simple and ultimately obvious: Publishers, and many developers, for whatever reason, believe their best chance at a successful game on the Wii is to make it simple; to make it "casual." These games are also cheaper to make than AAA titles, so couple that with their belief that those are the games that should be developed for the Wii, and you'll understand a little bit more as to why the Wii shelves are stocked with simple games and non-games. I could name the number of times someone has told me that a system or mechanic I've designed might be "too complicated" for the "casual Wii audience."

This belief, whether right or wrong, consequently leads to the understanding that if gamers aren't playing the Wii, then they must be playing the Xbox 360 and PS3. As a result, they realize that if they were to make a AAA title, one which appeals to gamers, then they should make it on the Xbox 360 and PS3 first, because that's where they've deduced gamers play those games. This belief is sometimes carried out even when deciding to make a weaker port of a AAA game. A publisher will sometimes favor making a crappy version of a AAA title, such as was the case with Mercenaries 2, on the PS2 instead of the Wii. Look at Madden NFL 09, a title released on PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox, and PS2, but not on the Wii. Instead, the Wii version was a version for "beginners" called Madden NFL 09: All-Play. Publishers see that the huge installed base of the Wii is made up of non-gamers, while the huge installed base of the PS2, and those of the 360 and PS3, is made up of gamers.

Thus, only when developers with enough money, clout and support come up with a game that they envision would work best on the Wii and isn't a non-game, will you see titles worth buying, like hopefully Madworld. However, understandably not every awesome developer wants to make an original Wii game. That's a group of people spending time making a Wii game and not a 360/PS3 title.

Posted by Speedfreak

The 360 controller is hardly ideal for Street Fighter IV, I daresay the Classic Controller would be better than the 360s. But then, (apparantly), most fans would rather play on arcade sticks, which are available for both platforms.

If you want my extremely cynical opinion it's that mostcompanies make bad games. On 360 and PS3 you shallow but complicated garbage like The Force Unleashed, its complexity hiding how shallow it is. On Wii you get shallow and simple games, with nothing to hide it. Ideally we want simple and deep games, which you get on all platforms in incredibly small numbers. Look out for Sin and Punishment 2 and Mad World (I don't want to jinx it but I think it might actually be God Hand 2).

Posted by ElroyJetson

i think the time is coming for more 3rd party developers to get involved with the wii...i mean 2k released a few good sports titles in 08 for the, nhl 2k9 really got the most out of the controls...i think its just something where its going to take the bigger developers a lot more time to fully invest into it...maybe they thought it wasn't going to have the staying power that it did..

Posted by Vampiro V. Empire

idk, as a developer I wouldn't want to see my game get gimped just to sell it on another system. A big component of SFIV is online and good luck getting that onto the Wii. That and lack of HD and graphical prettiness. If you spend months and months or years on a title trying to get it as good as humanly possible, can't say I'd want to see it messed around with and lowered to the standards of an inferior console. It's like knowing your kid is a brilliant mathematician and just sitting back watching him throw his life away by taking coke.

At least for games made for the HD consoles getting ported to the Wii. I don't know why the **** developers don't create new titles and IPs specifically for the Wii. That are, you know, good.

Posted by WillisGreeny

*** forbid software engineers figure out how to use Wii hardware more effectively.

btw: I don't give a **** if a game is "last gen" or not. Lack an argument? coin a phrase like last gen to say why a game stinks. The amount of moving particles, shades of shadow, vertexs for a typical mesh, and all the other garbage that goes a long with the "new generation" is just fancy talk for " it look pretty ".

Next gen just means "What Wii can't do", right? Let's be honest. That's basically what it comes down to in most circumstances when I read someone bsing about next gen titles. No, the only thing going wrong with the Wii is what BB just said, which is that publisher's are keeping their heads in the sand and ignoring what impact they could have if they actually tried making gamer games for the Wii. business as usual.

Quoted post: btw: I don't give a **** if a game is "last gen" or not. Lack an argument? coin a phrase like last gen to say why a game stinks. The amount of moving particles, shades of shadow, vertexs for a typical mesh, and all the other garbage that goes a long with the "new generation" is just fancy talk for " it look pretty ".

online and social networking are the big features of this gen (graphics are graphics.) Which the wii does abysmally. Not to mention the ability to do a lot more with the power that HD consoles have. Can't really do Fallout 3 on the Wii can you? Or really, just about every other big current-gen title. All of them, in one way or another, would be gimped and not just in the graphical department.

Posted by WillisGreeny

If developers actually tried making games that suited the wii and gamers, perhaps Fallout 3 would have competition. See, it's hard to argue for the Wii with games like Fallout 3 because the path the Wii could have taken never came to fruition. but it's not like the Wii can't use a microphone and have achievments. Some of these "next gen" features aren't really that demanding of system resources. However, when it comes to graphics, the Wii really can't compete, which is where it gets jabbed the most.

Keep in mind I haven't actually played my Wii in a month, so I'm not at all against saying the Wii sux.

Quoted post: Wii can't use a microphone and have achievments. Some of these "next gen" features aren't really that demanding

smash bros and every other online attempt. nintendo can't even do it right let alone a third party developer.

oh and wii speak. failure

Anyways, I mentioned ports mostly because that's what the op seems to be talking about. Games that hit the PS360 only and not the wii.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well, if Nintendo cared a little less about swearing and exc. in public forumes, exc, they'd have better online features. It's the Nintendo policy and software direction with making everything safe and restrictive with their online network. The hardware is perfectly fine if they ever decide to do it...right.

Yes, and? Those restrictions break online. Online doesn't work, therefore it's ****. Doesn't matter whether the console can handle it or not.

Posted by WillisGreeny

Well, since most people talk about how the Wii's hardware sux, I was just making a point that the Wii hardware was strong enough to do next gen things if Nintendo would just let go. That was my point. Not for graphics, obviously, just with the online stuff.

Its hardware does suck. Handful of current-gen games struggle to do what they do online even with downgraded graphics. Can only imagine it on the wii

Posted by Speedfreak

Cool, I don't have to argue with Vamp anymore.

So where'd you go, anyway?

had to go in for surgery. my intestine twisted on itself and it was slowly killing me. was pretty terrifying.

Posted by ExoXile

So, your intestines are pretty much sentient and felt like dying?

no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvulus

Posted by WillisGreeny

Chew your food ****it.

Has nothing to do with it. Though you can feel it loop and twist. ****ed up.

Posted by ExoXile

Wait, you're serious?
If so, that sucks.

Posted by final kaoss

there we go

Quoting Wikipedia: no.

Regardless of cause, volvulus causes symptoms by two mechanisms. One is bowel obstruction, manifested as abdominal distension and vomiting. The other is ischemia (loss of blood flow) to the affected portion of intestine. This causes severe pain and progressive injury to the intestinal wall, with accumulation of gas and fluid in the portion of the bowel obstructed.[1] Ultimately, this can result in necrosis of the affected intestinal wall, acidosis, and death. Acute volvulus therefore requires immediate surgical intervention to untwist the affected segment of bowel and possibly resect any unsalvageable portion

Posted by WillisGreeny

there we go

[quote=Wikipedia]
Sarcasm is a form of speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target.

Quoted post: fa⋅ce⋅tious
   /fəˈsiʃəs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fuh-see-shuhs] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.

more apt

applies to all my posts

Posted by ExoXile

You couldn't feel it twist up, seeing as you have no real feeling in the intestine.

But yeah...

Actually you can feel it. You can feel the organ shift and then a sharp twinge of pain.

Posted by final kaoss

ok thats more info than I needed, thanks for the stomach cramp..