BJ's top picks

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Journey ROcks, as does Fleetwood Mac, Bad Religion, Oasis, Within Temptation, Eric Clapton, and many others. This is the first thread in the music board, and it's the best one it'll ever have. Bow down.

Posted by Dandelion

I'll pass on the bowing...

I like Fleetwood Mac. Oasis too.

Posted by Roth

Fleetwood Mac was cool. A really talented band, that's for sure! On the other hand, Bad Religion can get me going! I love their album 'Stranger Than Fiction!' That whole album is the epitamy of what punk should be!

Anybody dig any old 70's style funk? I'm really big into Parliament and Earth, Wind, and Fire from around that era. Those were the grooves!

Posted by Corrupt

Out of the groups you listed, Oasis is really the only one that I like. Although my mom likes all the bands listed, save for Within Temptation... so I hear bits and snatches of the bands' songs every now and then.

As for me, my top artists include, but are not limited to: Infected Mushroom, Apoptygma Berzerk, Beck, Chumbawamba, Air, Ben Folds Five, BT, Tears for Fears, New Order, 4 Strings, and a crapload of others. One of these days I'll make another 'complete alphabetical list of all bands/artists I enjoy' like I did a while ago.

...voila.

Posted by Admiral Anthrax

Ian, clean your PM box!

Posted by Corrupt

Well, ya know, the stupid glitch won't let me. :/ I'll try it again, and hopefully it'll work this time.

Posted by cheese_muncher

Fleetwood mak and eric clapton are really cool. I do like oasis but there not as good as the other bands you've put up. Don't you like any other bands though?

Posted by Klarth

The best ones BJ listed were prolly Within Tempation and Bad Religion. That's all.

Posted by Shin-Ra

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Journey ROcks

Agreed.

Quoted post: Within Temptation

Um. Have you listened to Silent Force yet? I don't know what your opinion is on it, but I thought it sounded like pretty average, generic pop/symphonic crap (though I do enjoy "Stand My Ground" and "Aquarius"). The lyrics also seemed more than a tad trite and cliched. Plus, it lacked the soul that Mother Earth had. I dunno, I'm just not all to into their new sound.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Roth: Anybody dig any old 70's style funk? I'm really big into Parliament and Earth, Wind, and Fire from around that era. Those were the grooves!

then i assume you listen to sly and the family stone. now there's a funkin' good time.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I just wanted the first thread in the music board to not be Good Charlotte or Dream Theater related

Posted by Megatron

I only agree that Clapton rocks. Journey? You've gone so soft since leaving MR. :P

Posted by MetalVox~55

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Journey ROcks, as does Fleetwood Mac, Bad Religion, Oasis, Within Temptation, Eric Clapton, and many others. This is the first thread in the music board, and it's the best one it'll ever have. Bow down.

:rolleyes: Ooooohhhh, if only you knew how much this saddens me

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

sorry I'm not a trendy little metal head :(
but I do like alot of "harder" bands, they just aren't particularly my favs. Some examples would be Devin Townsend, Satriani, Blind Guardian, Dio, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Lullacry, Nightwish, Steel Prophet, Jag Panzer, Sonata Arctica, Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Helloween, Death, Dream Theater (I DO like them, just nowhere near as much as everyone else, it seems), etc etc
am I cool now?

Posted by MetalVox~55

You implying im trendy? :p

Posted by Ch

Quoting Roth: Anybody dig any old 70's style funk? I'm really big into Parliament and Earth, Wind, and Fire from around that era. Those were the grooves!

Oh man I love George Clintion and Parliament. Really clears the soul.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Megatron: I only agree that Clapton rocks. Journey? You've gone so soft since leaving MR. :P

don't talk **** about journey.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: Um. Have you listened to Silent Force yet? I don't know what your opinion is on it, but I thought it sounded like pretty average, generic pop/symphonic crap (though I do enjoy "Stand My Ground" and "Aquarius"). The lyrics also seemed more than a tad trite and cliched. Plus, it lacked the soul that Mother Earth had. I dunno, I'm just not all to into their new sound.

It was more generic and the songs were all fairly similar, but I think it was the first very consistent fusion of orchestra and metal (is that even a good thing?), if nothing else. Weirdly, I liked the songs on each end of the album the best, Intro and The Swan Song (a bonus track, I think) the most. And because all the songs sound so similar in content and structure, I like all of them; but that's a blurred picture.

I certainly don't disagree with Bj's picks, but are many artists that could easily be added to that list that are at the very least equal to the ones already listed.

Posted by Dandelion

I love 70's stuff! Awww, good stuff. ^_^

I'm into reggae, and pop, and classical...everything really ^_^ Everything from Ayumi to Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Frank Sinatra, Vanessa Carlton, The Carpenters, The Shins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beck..ya, the list is endless.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: Oasis

DAYAMN STRAIGHT.

Anyway, BJ has the coolest taste in music in these forums. Aside from me. And some other people.

But he's definitely a follower of the non-bandwagon bandwagon ;)

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I do notice that I have somewhat of a following here. People won't admit it, though. I casually mentioned Dragonforce awhile back, and lo and behold, Raptor mentions it weeks later and how great the album is. I bring up Devin Townsend, and Netman has already sent me an mp3 cd over aim and seems to really like Devy. I remember way back in the day when everybody was tripping over their own slongs over the new linkin park album or something, and I mention Nightwish and Rhapsody, and whatnot, and baddabing, now they've become cliche. You guys may give me ****, but deep down, you all know that my musical tastes rock like Stevie Nicks.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I do notice that I have somewhat of a following here. People won't admit it, though. I casually mentioned Dragonforce awhile back, and lo and behold, Raptor mentions it weeks later and how great the album is. I bring up Devin Townsend, and Netman has already sent me an mp3 cd over aim and seems to really like Devy. I remember way back in the day when everybody was tripping over their own slongs over the new linkin park album or something, and I mention Nightwish and Rhapsody, and whatnot, and baddabing, now they've become cliche. You guys may give me ****, but deep down, you all know that my musical tastes rock like Stevie Nicks.
I've not seen anyone giving you ****, and I pretty much agree that your musical tastes rock like Stevie Nicks. :P Though I'm not too keen on the ones in the first post, the second post was awesome. Get a little Angra and Arcturus down your throat, now, and you're set. =D

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

I've actually been meaning to look into Angra, simply because I've heard from people on here and friends with the same tastes that Angra is good stuff. That and Shadows Fall.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I've actually been meaning to look into Angra, simply because I've heard from people on here and friends with the same tastes that Angra is good stuff. That and Shadows Fall.

No dude, you shouldn't. It would be trendy.

Anyways, none of the bands in the first post interest me, though the majority in the second do. Go me and such. And stop acting like you're the awesome leader and everyone is following you and your amazing musical tastes. We'll give credit where credit is due.

Posted by Knightmare0999

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I've actually been meaning to look into Angra, simply because I've heard from people on here and friends with the same tastes that Angra is good stuff. That and Shadows Fall.

Shadows Fall isn't as good as they used to be. They were amazing before they went mainstream. Look for there older stuff.

Posted by rivercitytecmo

Quoting Irrelevant: And stop acting like you're the awesome leader and everyone is following you and your amazing musical tastes.

i, for one, think bj is an awesome leader, he has amazing musical tastes, and i'm definitely following him, even if it means listening to mid-90s steve perry.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm sure that Bj's post was made jokingly, but I'll reply for kicks.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I do notice that I have somewhat of a following here. People won't admit it, though.

I'm definitely not a 'follower' of your tastes, but I admit that they are good and we listen to a few of the same bands. If any bands, I could imagine that you helped push Within Temptation and Rhapsody.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I bring up Devin Townsend, and Netman has already sent me an mp3 cd over aim and seems to really like Devy

Blame that following on Ayreon's The Human Equation. Most people I know that are Devin fans got into him through that cd. Personally, I don't like his music. He did add a nice touch on that Ayreon album though. It gave me a break from some of the whinier singers and it added an extra catchy element to it all.

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: I mention Nightwish and Rhapsody, and whatnot, and baddabing, now they've become cliche.

I got into Nightwish on my own a couple of years ago, but I will admit that your references to Rhapsody (way back when) got me interested in them. It was actually Philsdad that sent me my first song by them (being "Village of Dwarves"). I like that song, but I'm still not a fan of their works other than "Unholy Warcry".

Other than you, I see Dexter, Netman, Corrupt and Raptor as being pretty influential to the bands that many here listen to. For me, Dexter's posts got me into Nevermore, Anathema and a few other bands, Netman got me into god knows how many power/symphonic bands including some Viking and Folk stuff, Corrupt sent me a cd but I haven't taken Trance any farther than that, Raptor's posts got me interested in Dream Theater and (mostly) Katatonia. So consider this my post of 'giving credit where it's due'.

Posted by Gollum

Quoting Bj Blaskowitz: blow me, dickhead

Indeed.

Posted by sabre

Quoting Shin-Ra: 'giving credit where it's due'.

Netman, netman, netman, netman. Really, he introduced me to most all of the music I listen to regularly - Therion, Dreamaker, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Freedom Call, Mullmuzzler, Angra, the lot; and I get a little from searching around Metal Archives, scrounging through side projects, and flicking through band members' Solo Projects and other bands - Jordan Rudess, Dali's Dilemma and Orion Riders, for example, would fall into that category. I've got a little trance from Raptor and Corrupt (Corrupt dominantly), and then that's about it.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

Shin-ra, I did enjoy that CD you sent me, and I'm working on making one myself, though it won't be as. . . rare, I spose.

Posted by Shin-Ra

I'll start up that thread soon, you can post it there if you wish. Also, send me a copy of it if you don't mind.

Posted by Richaod

Quoting Shin-Ra: Other than you, I see Dexter, Netman, Corrupt and Raptor as being pretty influential to the bands that many here listen to.

Far too much so. It's gotten to a point where the credibility they have has actively reversed the amount of recommendations people will take from others, particularly myself, TheSecondComing and (seemingly) Bj. I once recommended electronica like Daft Punk just as often as Corrupt and Raptor suggested other songs (I've yet to hear an electronica song better than Aerodynamic), but not once was my suggestion ever taken on board. Dexter doesn't seem to "dominate" in such a manner, and I'm sure that no one means to, but I think that people need to open up more.

Posted by TheSecondComing

Quoting Richaod: Far too much so. It's gotten to a point where the credibility they have has actively reversed the amount of recommendations people will take from others, particularly myself, TheSecondComing and (seemingly) Bj. I once recommended electronica like Daft Punk just as often as Corrupt and Raptor suggested other songs (I've yet to hear an electronica song better than Aerodynamic), but not once was my suggestion ever taken on board. Dexter doesn't seem to "dominate" in such a manner, and I'm sure that no one means to, but I think that people need to open up more.

People aren't obliged to act on recommendations. Dishy/Sabredog/Whatever his name is this week has never dropped a band's name to me, and I doubt I'd listen to any recommendations from anyone on this board, save for a few who I don't have on AIM anyway.

Posted by Bj Blaskowitz

for ye followers of all things awesome, I will burn 3 "greatest hits in the history of ever" cds, and mail them out over the next month. Whomever tells me the top 3 funniest pickup lines gets a copy, starting now and ending in 3 days.

and. . . GO