Factor 5 closed?

Posted by Prince Shondronai

http://gonintendo.com/?p=67019

IGN's Matt Cassamassassassinissinassa sounds like he thinks so.

As always when bad things happen in the industry, I blame sony. If F5 hadn't been seduced by the popularity of sony's past consoles, they might not have developed a mediocre product for sony's current moderately-unpopular system, thus losing a metric assload of money.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

sony are not responsible for factor 5 making a ****ty game, sorry

Not entirely, but partially. Stupid sixaxis controls. They are responsible for their tiny userbase that didn't buy Lair, though. They might have had a chance on the 360, and the game would have been better with analog control. Win-win.

Posted by Sapphire Rose

Lair sucked period. Again, can't blame Sony for that.

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Prince Shondronai;914478]Not entirely, but partially. Stupid sixaxis controls. They are responsible for their tiny userbase that didn't buy Lair, though. They might have had a chance on the 360, and the game would have been better with analog control. Win-win.mgs4 had sixaxis controls and a 'tiny' userbase but still sold a ton

oops

Posted by Poco

was lair the game with the jizz coated oceans

Posted by Speedfreak

Rogue Leader is actually not that great.

Really!

Posted by maian

Quoting Prince Shondronai: As always when bad things happen in the industry, I blame sony. If F5 hadn't been seduced by the popularity of sony's past consoles, they might not have developed a mediocre product for sony's current moderately-unpopular system, thus losing a metric assload of money.

Haha, oh wow.

And who cares? The last game they made that was even partially good was Rogue Leader. I'd LOVE to hear someone defend the abysmal Rebel Strike.

Posted by Big Boss

Factor 5's issues apparently had significantly less to do with Sony, of course, and a lot to do with Brash Entertainment:

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/rumor-control/909119209/26703220/factor-5-torpedoed-by-brash.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1"]Factor 5 torpedoed by Brash?[/url]

[quote]Brash's abrupt closure has apparently caused unanticipated ripples, most notably for Lair developer Factor 5. In March, Factor 5 announced it would be teaming with Brash on an unannounced title, one that was later reported to be based on the DC Comics hero Superman. However, it appears that project has now hit the skids due to a lack of funding, and in the process delivered a debilitating blow to its developer, if a blog post by former Factor 5 animator Sam Baker is to be believed.

A post which he later removed and "rectified," naturally, as anyone can imagine what that kind of blog vomiting can do to investors and publishers looking at the studio for future projects. It's serious business:

[url="http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21563"]Report: Factor 5 Lays Off Nearly Half Of Staff[/url]
[quote]To top things off, the Edge report claims Baker is in danger of being sued for his internet indiscretion.

[url="http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/brash_entertainment/"]Here's[/url] more information on Brash Entertainment's embarrassing demise.

Secondly, Lair was updated with analog sticks in April of this year. Here's an excerpt from GameSpot's Kevin VanOrd's [url="http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/review-blog/909185210/26350732/revisited-lair.html"]revisited review[/url]:

[quote]Lair is, at its core, the same game it always was. It's still pretty, it's still gawky and uncomfortable to play, and it's still shallow. If you were hoping the update would revolutionize the game, you'll be sorely disappointed. In actuality, the tweaked controls make it easier to notice a variety of other fundamental flaws. It's easier to fly around once you apply the update, but simpler maneuverability doesn't make Lair a good game.

Surely, this is only one man's opinion, but hardly an uncommon one. I remember reading a Penny Arcade article several months ago with a similar take on how the game, by itself, is a shallow one. I'd be surprised if it was any different.

[quote]As always when bad things happen in the industry, I blame sony.

Don't you have a filter to keep stupid s[font=trebuchet ms]hit like this from making it in your posts, so you don't waste precious seconds of our fucking time?[/font]

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

[quote=Speedfreak;914539]Rogue Leader is actually not that great.

Really!rogue leader had awesome flight gameplay and pushed the graphics and processing power of the gamecube on ****ing launch day, it owned

one of the few gamecube games that doesnt look like an abortion in retrospect

Posted by Speedfreak

The flight physics were basic, it was like flying a debug camera (I can only actually think of 2 games that have fun flight physics, and in one of them it was a powerup). The graphics engine doesn't even need mentioning, it was obviously brilliant and it's obviously irrelevent to how good the game is.

Honestly, not being a dick, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and actually grew up wanting to be a fighter pilot. Rogue Leader is very mediocre.

Posted by maian

I liked Rogue Leader. I enjoy playing it. Although I will admit that, besides the graphics (for the time), there's nothing that really made it that much better than any other game.

This might be changing the subject a lot, but anyone remember Battle for Naboo? Am I the only one that liked that game? :cookie:

Posted by Speedfreak

Never played it, had Rogue Squadron on N64 though.

Battle for Naboo was good. It was based on Episode I, so they fought an uphill battle to make a good game, but it was fun.

[quote=douchebag]Don't you have a filter to keep stupid shit like this from making it in your posts, so you don't waste precious seconds of our fucking time?

I thought I'd taken it far enough by now that everyone would realize I'm exaggerating to make my low opinion of the company seem as amusing as it is to me, to everyone else. You're just mad because the ps3's unpopular, even after the launch of another worthless Metal Gear game. What goes around, comes around.

Posted by Speedfreak

If you stop referring to Gamespot I'll delete all of his posts.

Posted by maian

Quoting Prince Shondronai: I thought I'd taken it far enough by now that everyone would realize I'm exaggerating to make my low opinion of the company seem as amusing as it is to me, to everyone else. You're just mad because the ps3's unpopular, even after the launch of another worthless Metal Gear game. What goes around, comes around.

lol

Posted by BLUNTMASTER X

just ban him already, jesus christ

Posted by Speedfreak

Shut up.

My VGChat career spans the ages, since the days when my master, L3in3k, ruled with an iron fist. I'm in-freakin'-vincible.

Posted by Last Fog

Nobody cares about Factor 5.